Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2015
    Rogerbee said:

Well, Linux Mint is all installed and I'm just copying files. One odd thing is that I can't seem to get any access to the Linux Mint homepage so I can't add Google as a search engine. Anybody experienced this before? How can I access this page? I don't want Yahoo as my default search engine!

CHEERS!

It's spyware /nod Yahoo about the same.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

What we need is a way to have Daz content work natively in Blender. That way Daz does not have to make their software work in Linux. Blender already works in Linux and it has Cycles and Octane render capabilties. It has a modeler built in and is being updated regularly. If Daz content came with Blender blender bones or somekind of bridge no one would ask for Studio for Linux. Just an Idea.

I love Blender interface; and all the shortcuts. Just wish I found it easier to get stuff from Daz in Blender.

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366
    edited December 2015

There is a vibrance adjustment add on script for Gimp (which I found out about via one of Mec4D's posts):

Color Vibrance editing plugin for GIMP -- http://registry.gimp.org/node/107

Rogerbee said:

Gimp doesn't have that vibrance function and I have yet to find a plug-in for it that gives it to you.

Post edited by Gr00vus on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

How do you install it? I couldn't seem to find how to do it.

CHEERS!

nicstt said:
    Rogerbee said:

Well, Linux Mint is all installed and I'm just copying files. One odd thing is that I can't seem to get any access to the Linux Mint homepage so I can't add Google as a search engine. Anybody experienced this before? How can I access this page? I don't want Yahoo as my default search engine!

CHEERS!

It's spyware /nod Yahoo about the same.

No, the site was just down, it came back later on and I was able to do what I needed to.

CHEERS!

edited December 2015

I think it basically amounts to extracting the script and putting it in the Gimp scripts directory and then restarting Gimp. But for full details this might be a better set of instructions:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GIMP/Installing_Plugins

When I installed it and restarted Gimp I found it towards the bottom of the scripts menu - actually the script menu item itself is within a submenu that gets placed near the bottom of the scripts menu, I forget the exact name of the submenu, but dig around a bit and you'll find it.

Rogerbee said:

How do you install it? I couldn't seem to find how to do it.

CHEERS!

GAAH! No matter what I try and do I can't get the file to go to where I want it to. If I do 'save link as' I can't save it to the directory I want as it says I don't have the right permissions. I can't copy and paste it either and nor can I zip it and extract it. How do I get these 'permissions'!?

CHEERS!

edited December 2015

Are you working in your linux environment or your windows environment?

I'll assume linux since this is a thread about working in linux.

To save the .zip, try saving it to your linux home directory (it'd be something like /home/rogerbee), there's probably a downloads directory in your home directory you could use, or you could create one.

I think the main problem you're having is related to the ownership of the Gimp directories. They're probably owned by the root account, with read and execute only permissions for everyone else.

I'm not sure which gui file manager comes with cinnamon (coincidentally I just installed mint/cinnamon on my laptop too, but haven't had a chance to use it much yet). There's probably a way to see the directory/file ownership/permissions information through your gui file manager. But, for myself, I find it easier to work on the command line for stuff like this.

So open a terminal window. You'll need to find the Gimp directory you need to place the script into. You could try the package manager gui to see where gimp was installed. You could use the "which" command to see where the gimp executable is, or you could use the "find" command at the terminal window to find where gimp is.

I'd start with the which command in the terminal window:

which gimp

This should show you where the gimp executable is. From there you might be able to find the related gimp directories and eventually where the script directory is using the ls command. For instance, if which said the gimp executable was mapped to the path /usr/bin/gimp, you could

ls -al /usr/bin/gimp

to see where it is actually located (sometimes things in the bin directories are links to files that are actually located elsewhere), and then explore that directory, it's super and sub directories to see if you can find the scripts location.

If not, you'll have to go with find. There are different versions of find, so the options can be slightly different, but something like

find / -name gimp* 2> null

Will find all directories and files with the word gimp at their beginning. The 2> null redirects error messages to a null file so all the various "permission denied" errors don't clog up your screen. It might take a while since you're searching from the root path / . If you can narrow it down to a subpath it will take less time, but you might not get the right subdirectory, so starting at root guarantees that it will be found if it's on your system. You'll probably get a decent amount of results, so it may take a bit of sleuthing/intuition to determine which one is the scripts diretory you want. Take a look at that wiki page above to inform you on the appropriate location.

Once you find the Gimp directory, run the following command at the terminal prompt:

ls -l /path/to/the/gimp/directory

It will show you the account that owns the directory, the group associated with the directory and the permissions for the directory. If the owner is indeed root, you'll need to switch user to root to copy over the script. In general, when these user friendly distributions install, they give your account the ability to escalate to root privaleges by default. If that's not the case you'll need more help than I can give right now in order to allow you to get root access - myself or someone else here will have to give you pointers on that. But, assuming you do already have root escalation privaleges, you can simply do the following at the terminal prompt:

sudo cp /path/to/script/file/in/your/home/directory /path/to/the/gimp/script/directory

You'll probably have to input the password for your linux account here.

That should get the script into the right place. sudo is a command that escalates your account privaleges to root when executing the command that follows the sudo directive.

Maybe you knew all this already, but if not, I hope this helps somewhat.

Rogerbee said:

GAAH! No matter what I try and do I can't get the file to go to where I want it to. If I do 'save link as' I can't save it to the directory I want as it says I don't have the right permissions. I can't copy and paste it either and nor can I zip it and extract it. How do I get these 'permissions'!?

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Gr00vus said:

Are you working in your linux environment or your windows environment?

I'll assume linux since this is a thread about working in linux.

To save the .zip, try saving it to your linux home directory (it'd be something like /home/rogerbee), there's probably a downloads directory in your home directory you could use, or you could create one.

I think the main problem you're having is related to the ownership of the Gimp directories. They're probably owned by the root account, with read and execute only permissions for everyone else.

I'm not sure which gui file manager comes with cinnamon (coincidentally I just installed mint/cinnamon on my laptop too, but haven't had a chance to use it much yet). There's probably a way to see the directory/file ownership/permissions information through your gui file manager. But, for myself, I find it easier to work on the command line for stuff like this.

So open a terminal window. You'll need to find the Gimp directory you need to place the script into. You could try the package manager gui to see where gimp was installed. You could use the "which" command to see where the gimp executable is, or you could use the "find" command at the terminal window to find where gimp is.

I'd start with the which command in the terminal window:

which gimp

This should show you where the gimp executable is. From there you might be able to find the related gimp directories and eventually where the script directory is using the ls command. For instance, if which said the gimp executable was mapped to the path /usr/bin/gimp, you could

ls -al /usr/bin/gimp

to see where it is actually located (sometimes things in the bin directories are links to files that are actually located elsewhere), and then explore that directory, it's super and sub directories to see if you can find the scripts location.

If not, you'll have to go with find. There are different versions of find, so the options can be slightly different, but something like

find / -name gimp* 2> null

Will find all directories and files with the word gimp at their beginning. The 2> null redirects error messages to a null file so all the various "permission denied" errors don't clog up your screen. It might take a while since you're searching from the root path / . If you can narrow it down to a subpath it will take less time, but you might not get the right subdirectory, so starting at root guarantees that it will be found if it's on your system. You'll probably get a decent amount of results, so it may take a bit of sleuthing/intuition to determine which one is the scripts diretory you want. Take a look at that wiki page above to inform you on the appropriate location.

Once you find the Gimp directory, run the following command at the terminal prompt:

ls -l /path/to/the/gimp/directory

It will show you the account that owns the directory, the group associated with the directory and the permissions for the directory. If the owner is indeed root, you'll need to switch user to root to copy over the script. In general, when these user friendly distributions install, they give your account the ability to escalate to root privaleges by default. If that's not the case you'll need more help than I can give right now in order to allow you to get root access - myself or someone else here will have to give you pointers on that. But, assuming you do already have root escalation privaleges, you can simply do the following at the terminal prompt:

sudo cp /path/to/script/file/in/your/home/directory /path/to/the/gimp/script/directory

You'll probably have to input the password for your linux account here.

That should get the script into the right place. sudo is a command that escalates your account privaleges to root when executing the command that follows the sudo directive.

Maybe you knew all this already, but if not, I hope this helps somewhat.

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

There should also be a gimp directory in your home folder. 

edited December 2015

Yes, you could install in the gimp directory in your home folder, though I'm not sure what the full path there would be to hit the scripts directory. Also that would only make the script available to you when you're logged in, not any other users of your system (which probably isn't a big deal).

Reading a bit more of that wiki page it does note:

"In Ubuntu, plugins are located at /usr/share/gimp/2.0/ for both 32 and 64bit. Note that you have to be root to access these files...The Script-Fu directory is something like /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/

Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, there's a good chance that the gimp install is there at /usr/share/gimp/2.0 (with maybe a slightly different version number). As it says, you'll need root acess to copy the script over.

Gr00vus said:

Yes, you could install in the gimp directory in your home folder, though I'm not sure what the full path there would be to hit the scripts directory. Also that would only make the script available to you when you're logged in, not any other users of your system (which probably isn't a big deal).

"In Ubuntu, plugins are located at /usr/share/gimp/2.0/ for both 32 and 64bit. Note that you have to be root to access these files...The Script-Fu directory is something like /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/

Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, there's a good chance that the gimp install is there at /usr/share/gimp/2.0 (with maybe a slightly different version number). As it says, you'll need root acess to copy the script over.

That looks right...it's been a while since I've used Mint, but that seems familiar.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    edited December 2015
    Gr00vus said:

When you get to that folder right click and select open as root you can then past the file

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited December 2015

I got there eventually! I found the Gimp folder and put the script in the right folder. It was in .gimp-2.8, it was the '.' that threw me, is there a way to permanently show folders such as .gimp-2.8 im my Home folder?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on

There should be a setting in your file manager (which ever one you are using) configuration that says something like "show hidden files".  That needs to be 'on' and then they should show up all the time.

Hmm, I tried it and it's nowhere near as good as the same function was in PT Photo Editor. I tried doing it in Darktable but there seemed to be no effect. I'll have to see if I can find another editor that will do it the way I want it to. I tried installing PT Photo Editor with Wine but got nowhere.

Thanks for your help

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 2015
    kyoto kid said:

...personally, after struggling (and failing) on several occasions to try and come to grips with Blender's UI and setup, I'd rather see Daz work directly in Linux.

Blender is opensource we could crowd source a branch of Blender with a Daz studio interface, and better yet a bridge between the two programs. You are right Blender does not have an intuitive interface. If Blender had a Carrara like interface now that would be awsome.

...well, Andrew tried to propose a better more intuitive UI (as well as more consistency in how the programme's tools functioned) several years ago but it was mercilessly shot down at the Blender Conference.  The tone of comments and feedback that I read back then lead me to call into question the "professionalism" of a number of individuals in the community and caused me to lose a lot of respect.

Seems the status quo there doesn't like the boat to be rocked very much.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    mjc1016 said:

There should be a setting in your file manager (which ever one you are using) configuration that says something like "show hidden files".  That needs to be 'on' and then they should show up all the time.

Found it! Did it.

CHEERS!

Folks,

Something major happened last night. It was either down to some dodgy sudo commands, or setting view hidden files, but, Linux Mint started crashing on launch due to an error with the .ICEauthority file. I tried everything, but could NOT get back into Linux! As per usual, any online help was scant and most didn't relate to Linux Mint. Everyone thought they knew what to do, but nobody did, an all too familiar thing! All I could do in the end was a complete reinstall, thus wiping everything I'd done before. I have lost a shedload of stuff! My entire original Daz content library, all my documentation and documents are all gone.

I also didn't have any of it backed up, I didn't think I'd need to. Yeah, silly me on that one! I'm currently recovering what I can from my laptop and copying stuff onto my old external drive. Of course, this time, I'll leave it all on there and keep it as an emergency back up drive.

I can rebuild most of my content from the zips of course, it's just going to be a pain to do so. As regards a photo editor, I'll install PT Photo Editor on my Laptop, copy texures I want to adjust and then put them back on here. As far as I can tell it's the only workable way of doing it that I can find.

I've got a LOT of work to do today.....

CHEERS!

• You shouldn't have formatted. All you need to do is run the OS off a usb or dvd as a live session, and you can then access all your files. You back them up and then format. 

Mmm, bit late for that now! LOL! If there's a next time, which I hope to god there never is, I'll bear that in mind.

You live and learn, and I always find myself doing it the hard way

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee said:

Folks,

Something major happened last night. It was either down to some dodgy sudo commands, or setting view hidden files, but, Linux Mint started crashing on launch due to an error with the .ICEauthority file. I tried everything, but could NOT get back into Linux! As per usual, any online help was scant and most didn't relate to Linux Mint. Everyone thought they knew what to do, but nobody did, an all too familiar thing! All I could do in the end was a complete reinstall, thus wiping everything I'd done before. I have lost a shedload of stuff! My entire original Daz content library, all my documentation and documents are all gone.

I also didn't have any of it backed up, I didn't think I'd need to. Yeah, silly me on that one! I'm currently recovering what I can from my laptop and copying stuff onto my old external drive. Of course, this time, I'll leave it all on there and keep it as an emergency back up drive.

I can rebuild most of my content from the zips of course, it's just going to be a pain to do so. As regards a photo editor, I'll install PT Photo Editor on my Laptop, copy texures I want to adjust and then put them back on here. As far as I can tell it's the only workable way of doing it that I can find.

CHEERS!

That's why I always keep a dual-boot on any computer I have linux on. Even if Windows is unusable (and I had that for half a year, when my Vista installation vanished in the smoke of blue screens at startup) you'll always have all your files separated from the linux operating system. If the system crashes, you still be able to reformat just that drive without touching the files. 

Off course, a similar solution without using Windows is just to separate your hard drive in two. One for data, one for OS. The hardcore version of that is to run your OS from a SS drive and store your data on a normal optical drive.

Thanks,

We're all wise after the fact, I'm going to keep backups of everything important once I've put it all back on here.

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee said:

Folks,

CHEERS!

You should have booted into single user mode.  Interrupt the boot at the grub2 menu, add the word single to the kernel boot line, and press F10.  This will boot you into your OS without the GUI as root so that you can fix whatever is the problem.  There is RARELY a reason to reformat/reinstall a Linux system.

In your case, if it was barking about the ICEauthority file, then all you needed to do was to boot into single user mode, cd to the home directory, and delete the .ICEauthority file.  If you still receive an error, then you've corrupted your Xorg keys for the desktop.  Use dpkg to install another desktop GUI type, then you can change the desktop session type before entering your password and still get things done if you mess up a specific desktop environment.

A hint for everyone, ESPECIALLY Ubuntu users... since Ubuntu goes out of its way to make logging in as root as painful as possible, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS create at least 2 users.  If something wierd happens to the main user login, you can log in as the 2nd user, su to root, then fix the problem with the first user account.

Kendall

You should have booted into single user mode.  Interrupt the boot at the grub2 menu, add the word single to the kernel boot line, and press F10.  This will boot you into your OS without the GUI as root so that you can fix whatever is the problem.  There is RARELY a reason to reformat/reinstall a Linux system.

The only one that I know of that isn't a personal choice to do so is a totally borked hard drive...

In your case, if it was barking about the ICEauthority file, then all you needed to do was to boot into single user mode, cd to the home directory, and delete the .ICEauthority file.  If you still receive an error, then you've corrupted your Xorg keys for the desktop.  Use dpkg to install another desktop GUI type, then you can change the desktop session type before entering your password and still get things done if you mess up a specific desktop environment.

Other than taking up a very little amount of drive space, extra desktop environments are a very good idea...at least two should always be installed (especially one or more of the very lightweight/minimal ones).

A hint for everyone, ESPECIALLY Ubuntu users... since Ubuntu goes out of its way to make logging in as root as painful as possible, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS create at least 2 users.  If something wierd happens to the main user login, you can log in as the 2nd user, su to root, then fix the problem with the first user account.

Kendall

And for me, who has been running Slackware since the early 90s, THAT is the hardest thing to get my head around....root is not evil...powerful, yes.  But sometimes it is needed.  Also, it is sometimes much easiery to nuke a user account and just create a new one than fix one that is messed up.

Thanks guys, I'll bear that in mind should anything untoward happen again. The one page that could have helped me find a solution  i.e. Linux Mint is currently down for maintenance.

I'm currently trying to back up my file system, but, it keeps stalling whenever it gets to here: sys/kernel/debug/hid0003:046D:C52F.0006/events

It just sits there for ages not doing anything. The system hasn't locked up as I can still do other things. This is getting really annoying. Should I just stop or wait and see if it wakes up?

CHEERS!

edited December 2015

I'd try to be a bit more selective about what you're backing up. I doubt you want to back up anything in that sub directory for instance. If you know where your data is, that's all you should be backing up.

If you're starting from scratch again, I highly recommend creating separate partitions for your system/software and your data. That way you can reinstall different linux distros/udpates/whatever without ever needing to touch your data.

A basic linux partition scheme to do this would be to have 3 partitions:

/ (the root partition, this is where software gets installed, libraries get installed, etc.)

/home (this is where your data goes)

/swap (the swap partition)

You could get more fancy if you want, but just doing the above means a reinstall only requires a reformat of the / partition - your /home partition can stay untouched, preserving your data. Your mint installer has a "wizard" for doing this already, but if it's not making sense ask here (or read up on setting up linux partitions online).

Also, if you run into linux problems in the future (and you will, we all do) check in here first before you do anything major like a reinstall - somebody here can probably help you out to minimize the impact of your problem.

Ok, thanks, I have most of what I want backed up already and have asked the Backup Tool to exclude the one that caused issues. If it hangs again then I'll exclude the whole sys directory.

CHEERS!

Just exclude the whole sys directory - none of your data lives there. 

Rogerbee said:

Ok, thanks, I have most of what I want backed up already and have asked the Backup Tool to exclude the one that caused issues. If it hangs again then I'll exclude the whole sys directory.

CHEERS!

While I'm talking about partitions, I'll also mention that I keep a FAT32 partition which I use to easily shuttle things between linux and windows as they both can use that file system format. Of course if you're not dual booting you wouldn't need such a partition.

Gr00vus said:

Just exclude the whole sys directory - none of your data lives there. 

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

If it hangs I will. I just want it to run and keep going.

CHEERS!