Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    ArtisanS said:

Rogerbee,

Nice post.......I would second that! I try to run as securly as I can (Ghostery detects 7 interested bystanders on this website for instance), Java is blocked until the boss (<-me) opens it up, and I sure don't like paying for my right to give up privacy either. So i'll be running a dual boot on my new machine ASAP......use Windows 10 pro without Internet access and Wifi dongle on the desk....DAZ runs fine without it....just use it for updates and upgrades and the rest of the surfing will be done in SolydX or SolydK Linus distries.

A Linux port from DAZ would be nice. I guess more and more people will start seeing the joys of Linux/Unix versus Windows.......oh, btw I was an MCSE once, so I'm not an a priori Windows hater.....just 8.1 and 10 do not rock my boat anymore.

Greets, Ed.

A native Linux version seems unlikely as it's not widely used, and, as of yet, the 64bit version won't work in WINE. If it did and more people started using it then, who knows, it might prompt Daz to develop a native version.

CHEERS!

Taozen said:

You could try CrossOver:

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/

DS 4.5 is currently untested, so who knows, it might work.

It's possible I suppose, though I'd like to know it worked before spending too much. Yes there is a trial, but, I'd have to have Linux installed before I could do anything, which would mean dual booting till I was sure what worked. I really want to just go the whole hog and forget about Windows. Still, I want to get another external drive, copy the contents of my current ones onto it then format them for Linux. This, of course, means having Linux, which I won't get till I know DS works!

If someone else could download the free trial of Crossover and see if it works then it would make my life a load easier

CHEERS!

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2015

Coming in here late as I've not been on the forums lately.  There are a number of reasons that DS 4.8 doesn't work in Wine.  I cannot go into all of them for several reasons.  Crossover has no more luck running DS4.8 than other versions of Wine.  I have been successful at getting a number of versions of DS running under Linux (I documented steps on the old forums in the DazStudio area)  However, you must be *very* knowlegeable about Linux, QT, OpenGL, and DS in order to get anything near working with DS4.8.

I do not have time ATM to work on getting the latest DS into Linux as I did with the earlier versions.  VirtualBox WILL run DS ***IF*** you do not use the unified mouse.  You must use the "Mouse Capture" mode.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Coming in here late as I've not been on the forums lately.  There are a number of reasons that DS 4.8 doesn't work in Wine.  I cannot go into all of them for several reasons.  Crossover has no more luck running DS4.8 than other versions of Wine.  I have been successful at getting a number of versions of DS running under Linux (I documented steps on the old forums in the DazStudio area)  However, you must be *very* knowlegeable about Linux, QT, OpenGL, and DS in order to get anything near working with DS4.8.

I do not have time ATM to work on getting the latest DS into Linux as I did with the earlier versions.  VirtualBox WILL run DS ***IF*** you do not use the unified mouse.  You must use the "Mouse Capture" mode.

Kendall

64 or 32 bit...because 32 is running just fine for me.

32bit doesn't interest me as you can't really use G3 that welll as it has several HD morphs as standard and it isn't supported in 32bit. It has to be 64bit or nothing wth regard me and Linux.

I'll stick with Windows 7 for as long as it takes, it does what I want it to and the support won't run out anytime soon...

CHEERS!

• mjc1016 said:

Kendall

I was speaking 64 bit since that was the context of the thread.

Kendall

Just checking to make sure...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

..well for me, they have four years and three months to get Daz, programmes and content to play well together with Linux as that is when 7 reaches it's EOL.

I have very strong reasons for not moving to 10, the primary one is not the telemetry issue, but having to be forced to accept all updates whether I need/want them or not. Seeing two situations with a Windows/Nvidia driver update that caused crash issues (some serious) in a couple weeks span is not very reassuring.  As my schedule varies, there is also no one good set time to schedule update installs as I'm either working or rendering and don't need the interruption of an auto reboot to affect either. 

If a bad update bricks my system, MS is off the hook and I'm the one who loses.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114
    kyoto kid said:
    If a bad update bricks my system, MS is off the hook and I'm the one who loses.

I've been through that myself already.I use this http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

it's a live cd , meaning it runs a compete desktop from a cd, which is very cool.I use it to repair PCs that people bring to me.It comes with a whole desktop, complete with a an older mac/windows 3.5 looking style UI and tons of tools.It has firefox :)  ,,it auto-detects your hardware on start up, I have tested it on literally hundreds of machines and not found anything it wont run on.It comes with a tool called "Test-disk".This tool can resurrect partitions that have been deleted, formatted over, moved,,etc,,,etc.

..is this for WIndows or Linux systems?  I seem t see a lot of mention about Linux.

kyoto kid said:

..is this for WIndows or Linux systems?  I seem t see a lot of mention about Linux.

It should be for any system...I think it has filesystem drivers for just about anything. 

mjc1016 said:

Kendall

I was speaking 64 bit since that was the context of the thread.

Kendall

Well, now you've really got us intrigued, if you can succeed where we have failed then we must know what you do.

CHEERS!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Yeh I'd love to ditch windows for good; looking at windows 10 there is lots to like, but the massinve (and I do mean MASSIVE) amount of apps on it that are used to farm your data is incredible; it isn't free, the cost is your data and your privacy.

Most of what I want works fine in Linux, either ubuntu or fedora.

What I like about virtualisation, is the ability to relatively easily stop Windows from contacting home. I haven't got IRAY working on it though.

mjc1016 said:

ogimus said:

1. Anyone who says that Linux doesn't get viruses is flat out wrong. Android is Linux and more viruses are attacking Android then even Windows.

Sort of...the big thing about Android...it is very lax with implementing the built in security that already exists.

Well it's Google, like Microsoft, another paragon when it comes to customer's data and privacy.

Robert Freise said:

Just did a search on Linux security compared to windows securityand looking only at posts from sites dealing only in security issues they all agree that linux is far more secure than windows

Yes it can still be hacked but the kernel is not as likely to be breached as other operating systems 

Between Mac,Os Windows and Linux windows is the most vulnerable according to the security testing sites

It is more secure, as the majority of viruses attacking a PC were written for Windows and simply won't run on Linux; but Google (use Startpage - so you don't make it easy for Google to farm your data) heartbleed, ghost, and shellshock; all serious security threats for Linux, and one of them for sure was a long-term existing yet unknown vulnerability; the one ray of light is that they were fixed promptly.

The aspect I like most about open source software is the peer review. Claims can be verified. Those encypting their data via Windows and other closed source applications only have Microsoft's (or its producers) word for it that it is secure; but the revalations by Snowden, the NSA employee, showed us how worthwhile that is. Governments and companies can not be trusted: OK, off to polish my tin hat. :)

Privacy is a form of freedom, and you don't make someone safer by taking away their freedom, or even parts of what makes 'em free.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Rogerbee said:
    Taozen said:

You could try CrossOver:

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/

DS 4.5 is currently untested, so who knows, it might work.

It's possible I suppose, though I'd like to know it worked before spending too much. Yes there is a trial, but, I'd have to have Linux installed before I could do anything, which would mean dual booting till I was sure what worked. I really want to just go the whole hog and forget about Windows. Still, I want to get another external drive, copy the contents of my current ones onto it then format them for Linux. This, of course, means having Linux, which I won't get till I know DS works!

If someone else could download the free trial of Crossover and see if it works then it would make my life a load easier

CHEERS!

I don't dual boot; although I do have two drives with different OSs on them; I use a Orico HDD power switch; it stops each OS from interfearing with the other and keeps the drive of the one not being used completely protected, and saves cash on electricity too. I don't like dual boot; windows doesn't tend to play nice.

kyoto kid said:

mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

It should be for any system...I think it has filesystem drivers for just about anything. 

Yep, it's a linux OS on a cd/dvd or USB. It has drivers to read/write just about any filesystem.

@nicstt I currently have 5 hard drives installed on this machine.

drive 1; Windows . This uses the Window bootloader

drives2-5:linux. Drive 2 has grub installled on it.Grub can boot everything except older sparc/RISC ( if I recall correctly.I don't have access to a sparc or risc based system to test).Grub can boot windows aswell, but as you have mentioned, Windows doesn't play well with other bootloaders.

to switch between them, I press the F8 key ( I have an asus motherboard) during startup.This brings up a menu of bootable devices on the machine.CD/DVD/USB , network, and other harddrives.Press F8 and just select the 2nd drive.GRub boots up the PC and I have a lengthy list of all the OS's installed to choose from.At one point I had 17 operating systems installed ,,I know thats too many :P .I used to tell people " I don't have an OS problem , I can stop installing them anytime I want.I'm just testing this new one to see if i like it" LOL

Interesting, dual boot drives, sounds like a plan! Another HDD like the one I currently have is not that pricey either. Tell me more about Grub, that sounds intriguing....

CHEERS!

grub is the bootloader most linux OS's use.It's the little piece of software that starts the OS.You may have seen the one in Windows if it has had issues starting.It's an all black screen with a list of choices like "Start Windows Normally".Grub looks a lot like that, it can be dressed up to look as fancy as you please,but most times it is left simple because all it really needs to do it list the OS options and start one when you arrow key up/down to it and press enter.In my case, I installed grub to first part of the 2nd drive so it wouldn't mess with the Windows stuff, which tends to be a bit fragile.ONce it's installed, then it can be used to start any number of OSs'.Depending on which desktop you are using on your linux OS you might have a GUI to use to make changes to to grub, but the command line is easy to use.Linux uses hard drives a bit different than Windows,They use a mount/unmount type system.IF it's not used it can be unmounted and won't be used in anyway.With out going into alot of detail,,you open the command prompt, login as root ( that is the admin user in all linux OS) , mount the drives that have an OS on them that you want grub to see.Then type "grub-update" , and grub will add all the OS's it can find to the list for you.One can also do this by hand by editing the grub config file in a text editor.Nearly all linux software uses plain text files for configuration.

Grub can boot just about anything, including USB drives, hard drives, even iso files od CD/DVD images.Yes it can boot windows, but updates, and other things and cause it to get overwritten,sometimes without removing the old files that are there.That makes for some interesting boot up issues :) . My advice is, Remove all the drives except for the one you want Windows on from the computer.You can simply unplug them, you don't have to take out of the PC cabinet.Install Windows with that drive as you normally would.After you get Windows installed, then plugin all your other drives, and from that point you can start installing linux OSs'.Keep the Windows drive plugged in.Linux makes a map of the actual hardware locations,moving them around can cause headaches just like with the macs and removable drives.Linux doesn't need to be on the first partition of the first drive to function, it can be on any partition on any drive.

Thanks, I've downloaded it and will keep it handy. My usual retailer has the HDD I currently use on special offer. When I'm a little less strapped for cash I will consider getting one. It seems a sensible option all things considered. I too have an Asus mobo, so F8 will see some use.

CHEERS!

• Also, if you want to try a number of different dristos without having to burn an ISO everytime, you can use a flash / thumb drive and use it in the same maner as a full hard-drive. There a number of apps out there that create the thumb drive, one that I have used is LinuxLive USB creator. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

I looked at videos and reviews of the distros and have settled on Linux Mint. I have a lot of thinking, and indeed spending, to do before I'm fully ready to commit.

CHEERS!

• You may cutting yourself short... Reviews and videos are certainly good to weed out the really bad distros. But there is nothing like trying something by yourself to make a decision on what will work or not for you.
    The method that I am suggesting, with the thumb / flash drive has very little cost and no commitment, other than your time. $10 for a 16GB flash drive. You use something like LinuxLive USB creator:

Put the flash drive in, start the app, select the distro from the drop down, select the USB from the drop-down, click start. The app downloads it for you and installs to the flash drive. Boot your computer from the flash drive and you are using linux. Re-boot it again from the hard drive and you are back in windows as if nothing happened.

You can re-use the flash drive for whatever else afterwards.
    However, that is just my opinion. I wish microsoft had an option like this, to let folks try something like windows 10 and decide for themselves how good/bad it is.

I'll have a think about Linux at a later date now. I'm getting into Iray now and when I can afford a better graphics card next year I'll make that a priority over OS. I'm by no means giving up on Linux, but, the OS isn't as important to me right now and what I've got will do till I'm in a better position to weigh things up.

Just in case there are any developements that will enable DS to work well in Linux we'll keep things going here and see what emerges...

CHEERS!

icecrmn said:
    kyoto kid said:

mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Yep, it's a linux OS on a cd/dvd or USB. It has drivers to read/write just about any filesystem.

@nicstt I currently have 5 hard drives installed on this machine.

drive 1; Windows . This uses the Window bootloader

drives2-5:linux. Drive 2 has grub installled on it.Grub can boot everything except older sparc/RISC ( if I recall correctly.I don't have access to a sparc or risc based system to test).Grub can boot windows aswell, but as you have mentioned, Windows doesn't play well with other bootloaders.

to switch between them, I press the F8 key ( I have an asus motherboard) during startup.This brings up a menu of bootable devices on the machine.CD/DVD/USB , network, and other harddrives.Press F8 and just select the 2nd drive.GRub boots up the PC and I have a lengthy list of all the OS's installed to choose from.At one point I had 17 operating systems installed ,,I know thats too many :P .I used to tell people " I don't have an OS problem , I can stop installing them anytime I want.I'm just testing this new one to see if i like it" LOL

...I know zilch about working in a Linux environment.

It's mostly like Windows or Mac.

Click the desktop icon to start firefox,,browse web

Click the desktop icon to start the media player,,play music/streams/DVD/CD etc etc

Depending on what desktop theme you choose, it looks like a mac UI or a windows UI.

Mobile phones and tablets come in three flavors Windows, Linux, and Apple.Chances are you might be using linux already and just weren't aware of it :)

icecrmn said:

Mobile phones and tablets come in three flavors Windows, Linux, and Apple.Chances are you might be using linux already and just weren't aware of it :)

There's a ton of other things that run Linux...

I've given up on Linux for now, it DS can't play nice with it or run Iray then there isn't much point. I just want to get an Nvidia GPU, that's more of a priority to me now.

CHEERS!

PS (If you discover something, post it here still.)

• kyoto kid said:

...I know zilch about working in a Linux environment.

Here's an online simulation of ubuntu that you can try to get an idea of what it looks and feels like. 

Rogerbee said:

I've given up on Linux for now, it DS can't play nice with it or run Iray then there isn't much point. I just want to get an Nvidia GPU, that's more of a priority to me now.

CHEERS!

PS (If you discover something, post it here still.)

I installed Daz in 64 bit wine. It crashed the first time, and so I selected a windows 8 simulation, and it then opened without a problem. The only thing is, it only offers opengl rendering- no 3Delight, and no iray. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can get it to work. I wonder if it would work with luxrender?

No Iray, no dice, end of. I'm as happy as I can be with my current set up right now.

CHEERS!

Now I have an Nvidia card in my PC and having read that the Geforce Experience will not work with Linux, I have pretty much decided to abandon it. I will stick with Windows 7 and hopefully there will be a good enough version of Windows out when 7 reaches the end of it's cycle.

This is worth a read: http://www.maximumpc.com/8-things-you-need-to-know-before-switching-to-linux/#page-1

You guys are more than welcome to persevere and if you get anything working, please post it here

CHEERS!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited October 2015
    Rogerbee said:

Now I have an Nvidia card in my PC and having read that the Geforce Experience will not work with Linux, I have pretty much decided to abandon it. I will stick with Windows 7 and hopefully there will be a good enough version of Windows out when 7 reaches the end of it's cycle.

This is worth a read: http://www.maximumpc.com/8-things-you-need-to-know-before-switching-to-linux/#page-1

You guys are more than welcome to persevere and if you get anything working, please post it here

CHEERS!

That's no biggie as all that is is an automatic driver update program to download the latest driver and game profiles and nothing that you can't do on your own

Post edited by Robert Freise on