Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2016

Those Ship Wake objects are OK I guess... They need a bit of work with materials though.

Couple of examples:

Wake.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 339K
    Wake2.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 322K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,210

Horo - thanks for looking. They actually look a lot brighter on my desktop PC where I created them - I wonder if my monitor is calibrated badly? Anyway I'll try increasing the sun diffuse - they do have sunlight on, fairly low in the "south east". And thanks for the ideas on sea foam - the tree one sounds very odd, I must try and find out about that one.

Dave Savage - thanks for the link - I'll go and download that and see what I can make of it.

edited September 2016

.... And then I got side tracked again.. laugh

DuckyOcean.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 524K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

.... And then I got side tracked again.. laugh

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,276
    edited September 2016

Dave - nice ship renders with the wakes, the duck is sweet.

Lazy me, same set up as on the previous page with the cars, just moved the camera out of the crater, widened the FOV, changed materials and fiddled a bit with the sky and light.

Crater Island

CraterIsland.jpg
    1200 x 765 - 153K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited September 2016

Cute duck, Dave!

Well I tried the wake prop and came up with this (first attempt) - materials not as good as yours, but I'm a beginner at these things. I upped the sunlight 50% and raised the sun 10° higher in the sky - still not over-bright (well, I was aiming for a "Grim" island) but I hope a little better.

The other scene I doubled the sunlight diffuse and I think it's quite a bit better.

Grim-Island-A.jpg
    1536 x 768 - 675K
    Valley-Jungle-A.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 598K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

MelanieL: Very nice terrains. Still, the sea one is a bit dark. Maybe still increase the sun and use a lighter colour for the sky?

Dave Savage: Poor ducky, out on its own in this weather! Wonderful render though.

Horo: Thanks. And no problem with being lazy; why use a perfectly useful terrain and sky only once?

edited September 2016

Melanie: They are an improvement.... I think even as subtle as it is, your ship wake helps to make it look like it's actually moving.

As for the lighting: I think the problem may be with the haze settings. It looks like quite a dark blue/grey haze you're using and it's taking all the contrast off your render. What you might like to try is to go into the skylab and in the Atmosphere tab, set your haze THICKNESS to a low number and your DENSITY to a higher number. You will see that 'Density' controls how thick the haze is and 'Thickness' actually controls how close it comes to your camera. Altering these setting allows you to keep a clean and contrasty foreground in your pictures while maintaining the hazey natural looking background.

Other factors that will determine the overall look of haze is the scale you are working to and your camera's distance from the foreground of your scene. You can tweak this by physically moving your camera in and then widening it's field of view remembering that the closer you get to your scene with your camera, the more you will have to readjust the haze settings to get a good balance. Hope this helps.

I found a not very good quality model of the Mt Rushmore rock carvings so decided it would be fun to make a scene with them. It's not accurate I know, but I may work in the Terrain Editor to make something a bit closer to the actual rocks and then add some better trees in the right places. (there is no shortage of photographic references on the internet) laugh

Rushmore.jpg
    975 x 975 - 210K

Melanie: They are an improvement.... I think even as subtle as it is, your ship wake helps to make it look like it's actually moving.

As for the lighting: I think the problem may be with the haze settings. It looks like quite a dark blue/grey haze you're using and it's taking all the contrast off your render. What you might like to try is to go into the skylab and in the Atmosphere tab, set your haze THICKNESS to a low number and your DENSITY to a higher number. You will see that 'Density' controls how thick the haze is and 'Thickness' actually controls how close it comes to your camera. Altering these setting allows you to keep a clean and contrasty foreground in your pictures while maintaining the hazey natural looking background.

Other factors that will determine the overall look of haze is the scale you are working to and your camera's distance from the foreground of your scene. You can tweak this by physically moving your camera in and then widening it's field of view remembering that the closer you get to your scene with your camera, the more you will have to readjust the haze settings to get a good balance. Hope this helps.

Thanks for those tips, Dave - I suspect you're right that I've muddled up the density and the thickness - I presumed thickness was bottom-up depth and density was kind of like opacity. That camera tip sounds handy too - I'll have another play later and see what emerges.

Hansmar said:

MelanieL: Very nice terrains. Still, the sea one is a bit dark. Maybe still increase the sun and use a lighter colour for the sky?

I see what you mean, Hansmar - I'll add that to my list of improvement efforts.

edited September 2016

Today's render.... Yesterday I was marvelling at the galleries on the Terragen website (there really are some excellent artists using it)... This theme kept recurring (overhangs) and I keep reading that because Bryce's terrains are height map based, it doesn't do overhangs... errrr... Ok then. laugh

OceanGragg2.jpg
    1666 x 832 - 796K

MelanieL - better, the wake is quite good IMO, this is not a rough sea and the wake fits. What Dave said about the light, haze, camera distance and size of the scene is spot on. Don't forget that cumulus height also controls how high up haze reaches, even if the cloud is disabled. Other things to consider are to have Sun/Moon shadows at 100, if not, the objects get transparent to light. Shadows are an important part of light. It appears that the scene is lit from the direction of the camera, judging from the second render. If the sun shines from an angle, the landscape usually gets more dramatic.

Dave - not bad, Mt Rushmore. Yes, height maps cannot do overhangs, except if you rotate the terrain, what you obviously did. Very nice scene.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Horo said:

MelanieL - better, the wake is quite good IMO, this is not a rough sea and the wake fits. What Dave said about the light, haze, camera distance and size of the scene is spot on. Don't forget that cumulus height also controls how high up haze reaches, even if the cloud is disabled. Other things to consider are to have Sun/Moon shadows at 100, if not, the objects get transparent to light. Shadows are an important part of light. It appears that the scene is lit from the direction of the camera, judging from the second render. If the sun shines from an angle, the landscape usually gets more dramatic.

Dave - not bad, Mt Rushmore. Yes, height maps cannot do overhangs, except if you rotate the terrain, what you obviously did. Very nice scene.

I like the way Estevez does it with SymLats.  And there are quite a few different ones in his store  (and on my PC)

• Chohole said:

I like the way Estevez does it with SymLats.  And there are quite a few different ones in his store  (and on my PC)

I made mine out of SymLats too. In fact, mine is the same one just duplicated and then stretched so it looks significanlty different from the original.

Pam - yes, Angel uses symlats, I also have quite a few from him - and from Clay Hagebush as well.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited September 2016

I might try the Ship wakes to see what they look like from underwater, which is where I seem to be stuck at the minute.

Waterworld 2 2 2.jpg
    1221 x 742 - 1M
    Post edited by StuartB on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited September 2016

Sorry Hansmar. Does it work now.

Post edited by StuartB on

Dave Savage: I like the Mont Rushmore. Indeed, a bit rough, but recognisable. The render with the overhang looks very dark in the shadows to me. I think overhang should be doable with boolean terrains too? At least, caves are possible, maybe you need to rotate a negative terrain to create overhang. I'll see whether that works too.

StuartB: I get a 'broken picture' icon in your last contribution.

Hansmar said:

Dave Savage: I like the Mont Rushmore. Indeed, a bit rough, but recognisable. The render with the overhang looks very dark in the shadows to me. I think overhang should be doable with boolean terrains too? At least, caves are possible, maybe you need to rotate a negative terrain to create overhang. I'll see whether that works too.

StuartB: I get a 'broken picture' icon in your last contribution.

On second thought: of course, you only need to rotate a terrain to create overhang (as indicated by Horo); stupid me! You could make more realistic overhangs maybe with boolean terrains, though. Or by using Symlats, indeed.

• Hansmar said:

Yup, the thing to remember with terrains in general is to make them 'solid' in the Terrain Editor, this is especially important when making negative and positive booleans out of them.

Yes, it's dark in that cragg... That was intentional though I did put a light blue light with a watery gel pattern applied to it to get a very minute amount of back fill.

edited September 2016

No Boolean terrains or overhangs now, but a quickly made abstract. Though with a Boolean object. How I love multireplication and reflection, just to play with unexpected results!

Title: Party2!

Party2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 898K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited September 2016

Stuart - very well done underwater scene. The hammerhead sharks are a nice detail.

Hansmar - interesting abstract with what appears 2D and 3D objects.

I've attempted a cave, not bad but I'm not fully convinced, though it was fun doing it.

Cavern

Cavern.jpg
    1200 x 690 - 238K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited September 2016

Stuart: Great underwater scene.... Boat looks very convincing.

Hansmar: Nice, with an almost Pop Art look.

Horo: There are some really nice parts within your cave, I especially like the right hand side for it's detail and materials. If the lefthand side was less featured and disappeared into pitch blackness, it may increase the sense of a vast underground space. Is it made by creating a terrain and then duplucating and inverting it?

For me, my previous rocky cragg has been reworked... I'm still not happy with it, but I'm now sick of looking at it so I've raided the X Frog free samples website and I'm systematically going through them, importing them into Bryce, sorting all the materials out for Bryceification and organising them in the preset library.

HeronGragg.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 497K
    edited September 2016

Plant one.... re-done example.

Lisianthus.jpg
    650 x 650 - 414K

Horo: Thanks. Yes, you would think that 2D objects are involved. Not the case though. The yellow figures are caused by a light, if I remember correctly (I seriously modified the scene already). The blue ones are reflections of one single spere with a volume texture. There are quite a few iterations of the purple 3D items (boolean combination of objects). I like your cave. But there may be too much cave with too many pillars dividing the room, leading to very many openings to look into.

Dave SavageThank you. The rocky cragg looks better now. More detail in the dark parts. I guess I used that crane myself a couple of times. The Brycification must be quite a task? I really like the result, though!

edited September 2016
    Hansmar said:

Dave SavageThank you. The rocky cragg looks better now. More detail in the dark parts. I guess I used that crane myself a couple of times. The Brycification must be quite a task? I really like the result, though!

Thanks.... Yes, it a bit of a task but still better than the constant frustration of needing a tree and loading it into a scene and THEN having to sort out all the materials amongst all the other component models already loaded.... But my main problem is I'm easily sidetracked... A few of the new trees and I start to see a scene and then I go with it.... laugh

Like this Horsechestnut tree.... It's autumn and the conkers are nearly ready so...

AutumnChestnut.jpg
    675 x 975 - 478K
    edited September 2016

Dave - thank you, also for the lighting advice. Yes, it's just two terrains and ne inverted in the TE.
    Very nice rocky craggy render, the water splash and the light rays look great. Also like the flowers and the autumn scene.

Hansmar - thank you. I see what you mean with the many pillars.

Here's another of MatCreator's Alien Artifact with a wrongly converted IES light as HDRI in the background.

Blue Bug

BlueBug.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 244K
    Post edited by Horo on

Dave Savage: You surely have a point with sorting textures within a full scene! And I'm glad you are easily sidetracked. Making a scene is much more fun, isn't it? And a great scene it is!

Horo: Lovely strangeness you rendered here!

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

Some new renders trying to push Bryce to the newest standard graphics. The tropical one is using xfrogs vegetation from Oceania bundles and the pines river is using some speedtree models (about 10 instanced species). Those new models are really giving a new sense and a new depth. You can go to my deviant if you like to see more details at widest resolution for those new images.

waves path.jpg
    2000 x 1140 - 3M
    Pines river2.jpg
    2000 x 883 - 2M
  • Wow, c-ram, you excel yourself. I love them both; awe inspiring and really quite realistic. I may get picky later, but for now I'm just really thrilled to see Bryce being used so well by a keen and skilled craftsman.

edited September 2016

Another 2 very nice renders c-ram.... The tropical one looks like it may have some slightly odd looking ambient on some of the tree trunks and branches, but I'm probably being overcritical.

Still in the process of sorting and Bryceifying the materials on my Xfrog freebies..... Today it's Coastal Wattle.

I'm doing another version of this at the moment with some water on it.

Coastal-Wattle.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 934K
This discussion has been closed.