Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2016

Well I had planned on taking the camera out tonight to attempt to photograph the Perseid Meteor shower.  Sadly, total cloud cover put an end to that plan.

Oh well... An artist's impression of what it might have looked like will have to do then.

StarSky.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 483K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2016

Well I had planned on taking the camera out tonight to attempt to photograph the Perseid Meteor shower.  Sadly, total cloud cover put an end to that plan.

Oh well... An artist's impression of what it might have looked like will have to do then.

I was hoping to see them again this year (last year was the first year that we have lived in a place where we could see them from our back garden, having moved further out of town and nearer to the Brecon Beacons proper).  How ever as you say, clouds was not going to cooperate.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,283
    edited August 2016

Dave - beautifully done, just like the real thing. Weather would have been good but I was reading Terry Pratchett and completely forgot about it.

A weather phenomenon that will start to present itself again when it gets colder and more humid.

Sea of Fog

SeaOfFog.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 127K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited August 2016

@Electro-Elvis: Very nice terrain. I like the textures and the 'track'.

@Dave Savage: Wonderful texture!

Here is my Dino again. Made with only metaballs. Flower is from X-frog. Title is 'First bloom 2'. The first (night) version is on Renderosity.

first bloom2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited August 2016

And an abstract one. Festival! Another version (more complicated looking) is at DeviantArt.

Festival2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1021K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Attractive image as usual, Dave; though my inner astro-pedant needs to point out that you've actually created a splendid artist's impression of a random meteor shooting toward Perseus (astro photographers would do an ESO 350-40 across the lawn if they captured such an event). The Perseid shower meteors all shoot away from the radiant in Perseus.

Horo would have noticed this if he wasn't distracted by science fiction. ;-)

Hansmar - I like your dino, as I've already stated. I do prefer the night version, though. The Festival abstract looks great with the "paper snakes", almost like the real thing.

Peter - and, of course, it wasn't full moon. But all these are the freedom of the artist.

edited August 2016

Horo: Thanks. To be honest, I prefer the night version too wink

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,169

Hansmar - Thanks. I like the dino cool modeling, the abstract - Festival is so cool. Did you multi-replicate the cone for the "paper snakes" . I'm working on one in which I multi-replicated the cone, my model looks similar but different.

Electro-Elvis - very nice material on the stacked terrains.

Dave- nice material on the statue, Awesome Meteor Shower.  yes

Horo- Thanks, awesome Sea of Fog

edited August 2016

Mermaid - thank you.

Here's another landscape with a triple stacked terrain and an HDRI sky. It's actually the same terrain and materials as used for the sea of fog above, but a third terrain was added to the stack. Another camera position and another sky.

Unoccupied Clime

UnoccupiedClime.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 232K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo- Another awesome landscape, the materials and lighting work so well together.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited August 2016

Very nice renders everyone! I really like landscapes from Horo and Dave and Stuart have done a impressive job with its old and rusted beetle.

Here's a cliff render I have been working on from a while and finally decide to finish. I'm not happy with xfrogs pines trees, as you can observe here, they are sometime looking a little bit "stairy". I've buy a couple of nice one on turbosquid just to upgrade the way my forests must look in my next renders.

I've also instanced a lot of elements and use some new high grasses recipes found on the Web.

Right now I'm working on some other pictures and on a video that show some of my renders, I'll post a link when I will have upload it on YouTube. 

Cliff final 3.jpg
    1275 x 1700 - 789K
    Post edited by c-ram on
    edited August 2016

@mermaid010: Thanks. Indeed, I multireplicated the cones. I like to play with this option and just see what comes out. Then I start considering what to do to make it into a nice render. There's a lot of trial and error involved.

@Horo: I completely agree with Mermaid on your last landscape!

@c-ram: Great cliff scene. For me, the haze might have been a bit less, because now it loses a bit of crispness (if that is something understandable).

I played with intersecting Booleans, multireplicated, dispersed, started to put them in a render, added a sky and .... thought it needed a bird. Then, one bird is not enough and, lo and behold, the sky was filled with a flock of gulls. Where did the Booleans go? Well, I decided to take them out of the scene, because I liked the flock of gulls so much. The frame effect is caused by a group of perfectly reflecting cubes that have been cut-off so as to allow the sky to be visible. There is also a reflecting plane underneath, but low enough so as to not show the reflected undersides of the gulls. The white spots in the gulls is an artefact of the premium render method. But I wanted it for true ambience and soft shadows, so it's OK like this, I think.

Gulls.jpg
    875 x 875 - 409K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Unusual, but very nice POV, Hansmar. Hmmm, is that Jonathan Livingston I see at top-right: subject, awhile-back, of a wonderful, knowledgeable, philosophical piece of literature 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' (film, too) - by Richard Bach?

Jay

edited August 2016
    Attractive image as usual, Dave; though my inner astro-pedant needs to point out that you've actually created a splendid artist's impression of a random meteor shooting toward Perseus (astro photographers would do an ESO 350-40 across the lawn if they captured such an event). The Perseid shower meteors all shoot away from the radiant in Perseus.

Horo would have noticed this if he wasn't distracted by science fiction. ;-)

Thanks... Yup, it's an artists impression, not an astrophotographer's impression. laugh

This is an astrophotographer's impression (I took this photo on Sunday night, the first clear night we've had here for days and the Moon was very bright in the sky).

The light pollution looks very nice though.

StarrySky.jpg
    640 x 960 - 22K

@Jamahoney: Thanks. I know of the film, but don't think I've ver seen it. But it must be him, musn't it?

@Dave Savage: That's a great render.... uh photo!

C-ram - another masterpiece, beautiful work.

Hansmar - very nice image, like Jamahoney said Unusual with a nice Pov.

edited August 2016

Mermaid - thank you.

c-ram - thank you. Very nice render, grass is excellent. The top of the cliff with the pines look very natural.

Hansmar - thank you. Your seaguls render looks beautiful. I really like te idea. It gives the impression we're flying between two level in the opposite direction.

Dave - nice photograph. Yeah, light pollution can look charming if you're not actually looking for some faint stars, clusters or nebulas.

On the topic of nebula: the near object are two stacked rounded terrains that give a curved horizon. One part is from a Mars DEM centered at 180°E and 15°S, Olympus Mons is actually visible at the horizon; the other part is from a Moon DEM centered at 0°E and 8°S, it is 90° rotated. The backdrop shows part of the Orion Nebula M42, it's a true HDRI from 5 expositions (600, 180, 90, 45 and 10 seconds) made by my fellow hobby astronomer Thomas Lüthi through the telescope of our observatory on Simplon (exactly 2000 m altitude) in January 2009. I had assembled the HDRI for him and tone-mapped it. For me, I cheated the HDRI into a spherical panorama and made a light probe of it.

Blue Bubble

BlueBubble.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 201K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited August 2016

Nice one, Horo.

Just a query, did the DEMs originally have a curved look to them, or were you able to do that in Bryce?

My DEMs are usually flat, with options to extrude them vertically in Bryce. But is it now possible to curve them also using, say, some other of your softwares? Some years back, yourself and David helped me in creating the illusion of a curved surface of a flat one - e.g. putting a 'lens' in front of the camera, or, using the 'round' option in the editing tools etc., however, as we've moved on, are you using another method I'm not aware of. I would be very intersted in investing.

It is possible to do so in softwares like, say, MatLab to create a curved surface from a flat DEM, but I don't have that 'ware - as buying it (very expensive) would be wasted on me as I wouldn't use all its capabilities (a bit like PS - another waste of investment for self-employed me).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on

Jamahoney - thank you Jay. Yes, the fisheye lens is a method to make a horizon curved. Here, however, I did it in the TE. Just click on Round Edges, then move the terrain near to the camera. The Moon and Mars terrains were made some time ago for a set including a video we never submitted because the previous one wasn't accepted. Without set 1, set 2 didn't make any sense.

Thanks, Horo...ah yes, the 'round' method which is quite useful, as I mentioned above. In some cases, however, I found if the the DEM has an extreme rectangular representation to it, then the 'rounding' method, as such, will round appropriately the short length of the rectangle, but the long length won't equalise evenly (it kinda 'spreads'unevenly in that direction). I just thought that you might have been using another 'ware to do the above; but great results never the less.

Jay

The DEMs I used are square, 3840 x 3840 px, easy to blow-up to 4096 or reduce to 2048 (as is the case above). Rectangular ones can be a problem. What if you make them square, round them and then give the terrain size the appropriate aspect ratio?

edited August 2016

Cheers, Horo...and yeah, have squared one or two of the rectanglular DEMs in the past; which, as you suggest, worked brillianty. There are some features that are oblong, to say the least, that require equal 'roundness' effects in appropriate dimensions, but the Bryce 'roundnes's technique can't, of course, equalise for the longer, rectangular length. It's not a worry, really, as I just thought that you had used a 'ware for producing current, excellent results.

Jay

Silly me. Of course when you change the aspect ratio after "circulising" it will stretch again.

edited August 2016

No worries, Horo...and I'm the silly one, really, as I just don't know more about Bryce capabilities as you do. The ignorent (me) sometimes utter wisdom, but moreso always ignorence, too (it's in our nature)...heh eh. 

Jay

edited August 2016

As we're in outer space at the moment... Why not go all the way to the final frontier. laugh

StarTrekin2.jpg
    2222 x 1300 - 749K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2016

As we're in outer space at the moment... Why not go all the way to the final frontier. laugh

we're always going forward cause we can't find reverse

Post edited by Chohole on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Chohole said:

we're always going forward cause we can't find reverse

haha I remember that.  And for anybody who hasn't yet heard it, here's a link.  Maybe better with the video off just listening to the audio, your call...

@ hansma: thanks for your comment! Yes, I have understand what you mean, maybe too much haze but here it's at its minimum value in bryce (at 1) and without it the picture is not looking the same. Your image with sky and birds is awesome, I like it!
    @ Mermaid : Thank you, the best is yet to come. @ Horo : Thanks, I'm quiet happy with this picture. Nice space scene from you, nebula hdri is providing a nice touch on your Render.
This discussion has been closed.