Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    c-ram said:
    @ hansma: thanks for your comment! Yes, I have understand what you mean, maybe too much haze but here it's at its minimum value in bryce (at 1) and without it the picture is not looking the same. Your image with sky and birds is awesome, I like it!

Actually, the slider will only take it back to 1 but you can type in 0.1 and get it less.... Though I'm not sure how much difference that will make. smiley

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Helpful hint: I had one scene where I set the haze density to 0.2, but the value changes back to some default every time you go into the sky lab, so you have to manually change it back every time. (Took me a while to figure out why my haze kept changing seemingly at random.)  As I figured I would have a hard time remembering this, I actually named my folder "ruined city scout (must set haze density to 0.2 every time skylab is entered)".  The issue only happened with very small values below a certain point (don't remember what value.)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,283

Haze grows with distance, it can be increased with Color Perspective. Strategies to reduce the effect of haze: downsize the scene, don't use Color Perspective, move camera nearer to scene and increase FOV, keep Base Height of haze at 0; or switch off haze and use a cube with a volume material that can be better controlled.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2016

Well I've kept my head down modelling stuff. Some stuffs seeming to be easier to make than others... though I can't tell if that is a limitation of myself or the software.  Making things that look "organic" I find particuarly challenging.  So here's a mix up of thigns lit with one of Horo's Sunless HDRI's http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-sunless-hdri-skies

There are Bryce generated stones, using Bryce materials and rendered in Bryce (obviously I hope).  First image is lit with direct HDRI lighting, second via TA (which took a couple of days - due to leaf transparency).

Ivy generator was used for the ivy.  And the rest was made in Modo using a variety of approaches.

FTE_brycetest1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 336K
    FTE_brycetest2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 369K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Well I've kept my head down modelling stuff. Some stuffs seeming to be easier to make than others... though I can't tell if that is a limitation of myself or the software.  Making things that look "organic" I find particuarly challenging.  

I've seen a lot of modeller folk say they have to use different programs for "organic" vs hard surface, even though each program is capable of both. So you're not alone in finding a software's way of doing some things easier than it does others. I think you could conquer all in Modo if you keep at it, but it may be worth trying some other programs to see if they gel better with you for organics. Mechano vs plasticine, etc. Anyways, I'd be over the moon if I'd made your progress.

I could also do with a brain transfer of your practical handyman skills right now. I have acquired new (1960s) house and am in the process of ripping out the old (shudder) - (no, seriously, shudder) ready for adding in the new. I'm OK with destroying things, but then...

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited August 2016

Good advice from everyone with haze, I have try to reduce it at 0,4 but there's no significant difference with the first render (I have use crop render to do so). Another thing to consider is that I have no patience anymore to re-render the entire picture.

@David : beautiful render, far from Bryce standard! Did you use Bryce terrain to model this rocks walls or is that modo modelling? A very nice effect with ivy too, it fits nicely in the decor. Bryce stones are sometime giving hard polygon edge, I usually export them to wings3D to apply subdivision filter, then importing them back to Bryce.

Here's another render from me. It's a mountain scene inspire by a terragen render. I have try to put as much as xfrog pine trees I can (about 20000).  To do that, I have first reduce the polygon count of the trees with meshlab. File size at 560 mb and memory usage ar 3,3 gb. It took 7 days to render at 36 rays/pixel.

doubs.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by c-ram on
    edited August 2016

David - very nice terrain, Ivy-Generator and Modo work. I somehow prefer the IBL, it's a bit more crisp.

c-ram - nice to see this render finished, Marco. Great work on the sky and clouds, as well.

Another triple stacked terrain from our Hi-Res Terrains set 1. The sky is an HDRI but not a photographed one. I took the Bryce default terrain and rendered it as distant mask, faked it into a true HDRI, then cheated to make it a spherical panorama. It lights the scene and gives the clouds, the sun enhances the light and adds the shadows. To brighten up some black spots ignored by the HDRI and sun light, a dome light was added. The lake has a radial under water with ssquare falloff and just above it another radial with the inverted Bollard IES mask from David. The dome light has 256 lights, the HDRI quality 128, the sun soft shadows, rendering premium with 16 rpp and normal priority only took 15 minutes in this size.

Glowing Pond

GlowingPond.jpg
    1200 x 825 - 179K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • @Horo: Great materials and phantastic sky

@c-ram: Outstanding. Simply the fact, that you have use 20000 trees is nearly beyond my imagination

@David: Great work. I especially like the atmosphere in the doorway/tunnel

I tried out a new tool in DAZ3D to pose a character. Light comes from a spot light. To enlight the dark areas I used a very dim distant light. First I tried out a HDRI but render time was very long (several hours) and the result rather disappointing. With the distant light render time melt down approximatly 17 minutes (TA with 36 rpp)

g2dance.jpg
    900 x 675 - 41K

Electro-Elvis - thank you. Nice dance render. Not all HDRIs are suited for every scene. To light dark areas, you can use an uniform HDRI (one without prominent lights) or a dome light; often you can disable shadow casting for such jobs and this will speed up renders considerably.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,169
    edited August 2016

Horo –Nice little town in the Blue bubbles, Glowing Pond is another great render.

Dave- lovely space scene.

David – nice to see a render from you, cool modeling in Modo, like the mysterious atmosphere beyond the gate.

C-ram – another magnificent render.

Electro-elvis – nice render, but the model’s right hand looks a bit flat, could be due to the shadows

A simple render inspired by Dave’s Pylon render on page 74, Spacebones Pylon model and a Sunless Hdri Sky by Horo

pylon-spacebones.jpg
    800 x 600 - 53K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2016

Well I've kept my head down modelling stuff. Some stuffs seeming to be easier to make than others... though I can't tell if that is a limitation of myself or the software.  Making things that look "organic" I find particuarly challenging.  

I've seen a lot of modeller folk say they have to use different programs for "organic" vs hard surface, even though each program is capable of both. So you're not alone in finding a software's way of doing some things easier than it does others. I think you could conquer all in Modo if you keep at it, but it may be worth trying some other programs to see if they gel better with you for organics. Mechano vs plasticine, etc. Anyways, I'd be over the moon if I'd made your progress.

I could also do with a brain transfer of your practical handyman skills right now. I have acquired new (1960s) house and am in the process of ripping out the old (shudder) - (no, seriously, shudder) ready for adding in the new. I'm OK with destroying things, but then...

A man who can fix a leak and fit a sink will never want for friends with leaks and unfitted sinks.  Yes well, if you live close enough I could be coaxed into lending a hand, I will fix things for food and beer.

Yes, well I have had a trial of Z-brush which looks very good, but I fear my poor brain will pop if I try to learn too many new thigns at once.

@C-ram, aye I've been inspired many times by Terragen renders, you've done a great job there, somehow Terragen has something special in terms of lighting but I found the scenes otherwise a bit artistically sterile, your scenes have more character.

@Horo, great sky and lighting, wonderfully atmospheric.  You have achieved and got away with a high contrast scene.  If I saw this sky I'd be looking for somewhere to shelter.

@Electro-Elvis, thank you, character work is always tricky, you do well to attempt such things.  Dark shadows and strong light with skin - a tricky combination.

@Mermaid, thank you.  My kind of render that is, I do like to see these pylons, I don't know why some people think they are eyesores.

A quick render of the sort of shape that lends itself to my skills with Modo.  Rendered using http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-heating-room-set for light and materials.

Drill_bling.jpg
    800 x 800 - 260K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

@ Horo : thank you! Well, finally there's no modification compare to the previous image I've send to you. Good stacked terrains, I really like the textures and the way they are lit by the light.

@ Electro elvis : thanks! yes, a lot of trees but as I have already say, I'm tired with xfrox pines. They are not good looking compare to recent production like speedtree models.. you've done another nice character picture, I like the pose and the light.

@ Mermaid : thank you, nice pylon render.

@ David : terragen is a pure landscape generator and its render engine is far better than Bryce even more if we are talking about the fourth version coming soon. But, it's terragen and it's unable to produce Bryce touch.. I have work with it by the past and made some nice pictures but I quickly return back to Bryce because I was unable to impose my style to the software. However, terragen pictures are sometime a good source of inspiration, that's true. Oh and nice modo modelling! Your skill is growing up!

edited August 2016

More great renders from everyone. Good to know I'm still inspiring people Mermaid smiley

Electro Elvis: As Horo says, turn off shadows in IBL tab. Also set quality to the lowest and HDRI shouldn't impact on render time much at all. There are so many different ways of introducing some natural ambient light it's a proper minefield... You got a great result though.

My latest... A freebie model I picked up years ago... This one took nearly 2 hours just to smooth the mesh. Lit only by two radial lights.

PurpHarleyChop.jpg
    2222 x 1871 - 788K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited August 2016

And one of the same bike with materials and lighting changed to make it more reflective.

RedChop.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 413K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited August 2016

i did a render of that bike a while ago myself :)

Harley NPW.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Tim82 on

Mermaid - thank you. Pylon render looks photo-realistic, good POV.

David - thank you. Great drill render.

c-ram - thank you.

Dave - great bike renders.

Tim82 - this bike also looks great monochrome.

edited August 2016

Yes, Tim, the bike looks great with all it's original materials on too and your render is very well done. Re doing the materials in Bryce isn't easy as the model only has about 5 components so all the engine and handlebar parts etc have to be the same material.

As David and Horo's High Res Terrain sets were on sale today (Sets 2 to 4 are 60% discount) I spent my pocket money on them this week.

Once again the sheer amount of stuff you get for your money is incredible (even at full price these are well worth the investment).

I can see I'm going to have months of fun (and frustration in the DTE) customising the presets.... Here's my first render with this set.

FrozenWasteland.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 392K

@ Dave, yeah i thought it was a pity that the bike had limited parts, i kinda cheated a bit and imported the OBJ into blender and separated the hole thing right down to individual nuts and bolts laugh

Ooof, it's Sunday morning here and you're using the 'B' word Tim.... surprise lol!

hahaha i know i know! laugh ...it has its uses at times but bryce is my one true 3D love smiley

edited August 2016

David – Thanks, very nice model, lighting and materials.

C-ram – Thanks

Dave – Thanks, lots of inspiration here but very few “I can do that” ones. Thanks for mentioning you used Spacebone’s model. Both the bike renders are great – the 2nd is my fav. Love the FrozenWasteland.

Tim –nice bike render awesome especially the lighting.

Horo – thanks

Another simple render - Sunset

sunset010.jpg
    900 x 675 - 319K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

Being away for only a week makes you miss out on a lot here!

Thanks for the commenta on my gulls. And great space, scene, bike and other renders!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2016

Love that one, Mermaid...all it's missing is some camels on the horizon.

Of the below work, was thinking of Absinthe (the drink) the other day, and as the word sounded like the word Absentia (the horror film), I put a kind of dark theme to the work. Title, of course, has got to be 'Absinthe-tia' devil One of Horo's & David's Fantastic Skies was used.

Jay

Absinthe-tia.jpg
    779 x 854 - 381K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on

Jay - thanks. Great render, awesome lighting and colors. yes  

edited August 2016

Very nice Jay, all that's missing is the green fairy. laugh

Exploring the high res terrains sets from David and Horo (as mentioned in my previous post).

RockyWatersEdge.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 513K
    RubbleCoast.jpg
    1666 x 832 - 978K
    RockyRuinCoast.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 462K
    Utah.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 568K

@Dave...all that's missing is the green fairy laugh

Heh he wink Love the grand canyon one...shadows are perfect.

Cheers, Mermaid.

Jay 

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

@Jamahoney: Wonderful scene for indicating the (earlier) risks of absinth.

@Dave Savage: Great terrains. I like the one with the ruins best.

Yes, yes, Hansmar...'the piano has been drinking' (YouTube link to Tom Waites song) angel

Jay

Dave - wow! great use of the terrains. I really like what you've done with them.

Mermaid - very peaceful scene.

Jamahoney - ah, Absinth, also known here as Fee Verte (green fairy). Not overly healthy for the brain in larger quantities. Though tea made from the plant absynth can heal even stomach ulcers. It is terribly bitter but one can get used to it. It grows here and I've always a stock of dried one around. Great render and the skull really fits.

This discussion has been closed.