Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited July 2016

OK, I made a surreal render. Created a thingy in Hexagon, posed a Genesis surfer guy (G3, I think) in DAZ Studio, and instanced it multiple times on my thingy.

Of course, texturing (of thingy), nice sky and rendering in Bryce.

(oops uploading of file did not work; I'll try again.)

Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited July 2016

Here t should be: Let me call it: "Not quite Escher"

swirl.jpg
    875 x 875 - 537K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

I think with genesis 3 characters we gradually scratch at the capacity of Bryce.

The Genesis 3 range is actually lower poly count than G1 and G2; and Victoria 4 had a higher count than all of them. At zero subdivision, the G3 figures would look worse in Bryce than V4! The "Vega Davin" character is "HD", so subdivision is turned up by default. Strictly speaking, it is the capabilities of Studio that are scratching at the capacity of Bryce.

edited July 2016

Another look of my scene that is not quite Escher.

Different perspective, texture for the thingy and sky, but also an abstract HDRI as lighting.

swirl2.jpg
    875 x 875 - 869K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 859
    edited July 2016

@Peter Fulford: Thank you for your information.  I had not realized this interesting and for me rather surprising fact until your post. Now I have just made a little test. I imported "Vega Davin" and "Genesis 2" withouth material into Bryce.

Vega Davin = 34'000 polygons, used working storage = 72 MB
    Genesis 2 = 42'162 polygons, used working storage = 61 MB

Although the G2 figure has more polys it uses less storage. (Maybe I made a mistake or removed the texture not quite properly.)

I made a further test with the standard "Vega Davin" character with skin textures once with SubDivision = 0 and one with 3 (HD)

Vega Davin, SubDivision 0 = 34'000 polygons, working storage = 585 MB
    Vega Davin, SubDivision 3 = 2'176'000 polygons, working storage = 973 MB

A difference in the rendered scene is foremost recognizable in the shadow areas, where the sub division 0 character shows hard edges. As you can see well in the attached picture

One thing, that ate the main storage, were the broken bump textures in the vega hewn hair. I had to load them all again and each time a bit extra storage was used. I have not tested yet, if the deletion of the broken bump textures would mitigate the problem.

subdiv_test.jpg
    700 x 700 - 286K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177

Horo- thanks. Love the Ringed Planets and the Hills and Dales is magnificent; you are getting very nice results with the IES gels

Hansmar- cool Scicity2, I also like the effect of the transparency on the buildings. Both the swirl renders are awesome, my fav is the 1st one its beautiful. You are making nice models with Hexagon

Electro-elvis – thanks, nice photorealistic render, I like the freckles

Dave – another nice render using metaballs

Fishtales – great idea Firestorm – pity you missed the challenge. 

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited July 2016

Fishtales - thank you.

Hansmar - thank you. The not quite Escher looks really cool, I like also the detail.

Mermaid - thank you.

This time, the indoor came out like an indoor. I wanted to test the lamps I modeled in Bryce. The radials in the lamps have a gel I modified from the ones David gave us. First, I white balanced it, then I multiplied all pixel values by two, then copied the lower part, swapped it vertically and copied it in as upper part. Now the radial lights the inside of the lamp and also shines outward.

Room Corner

RoomCorner.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 209K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2016

Mermaid and Horo: Thanks. 

Horo: sounds like awfully complicated what you have done. But, it leads to very nice lights indeed.

I have a crane here, that thinks: "What am I doing here?" I really wouldn't know. Certainly looks like he is lost!

What am I doing here.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,166

Thanks for sharing your renders. I really do miss Bryce.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Horo said:

This time, the indoor came out like an indoor. I wanted to test the lamps I modeled in Bryce. The radials in the lamps have a gel I modified from the ones David gave us. First, I white balanced it, then I multiplied all pixel values by two, then copied the lower part, swapped it vertically and copied it in as upper part. Now the radial lights the inside of the lamp and also shines outward.

Horo, excellent lighting! However, a pot with a flower hanging in the air.
    Pay attention to the shadow...

Hansmar - thank you, beautiful crane.

Slepalex - thank you. I thought the shadow was odd but I knew I landed the plant. Checking now I see that the wireframe is landed, but the pot is 1 BU above it. Well, that teaches me to double check.

• @Dave, Horo, Hansmar, mermaid010: Thanks. Dave a hat is a good idea, but I think the hair I have used is to freaky for hat

@Horo: Very convincing landscape. The texture looks quite natural. Your indoor scene has a lot of nice ideas and the light looks very fine, though to confess I have not understood fully how you made it ;-)

@Fishtales: Impressive storm.

@Hansmar: Let's hope for your crane, there are a few fishs around

edited July 2016

Electro-Elvis - thank you. The lights in the lamps are just radials with gels. The ambient light in the room is from a fill-light with 200 lights and 100% soft shadows, rendered at 144 rpp in just about 10 hours.

Inverted terrains can also have some charm. A rather murky kind of scene.

Fissure

Fissure.jpg
    1200 x 885 - 226K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2016

Here is another render using the same terrain as above but looking a bit more friendly.

Waterway

Waterway.jpg
    1200 x 660 - 160K
    Post edited by Horo on

@Electro-Elvis: Yep, I hope the bird can catch some fish, even if it's as abstract forms!

@Horo: Both are nice. The first one is a bit more special, due to the dark feel, but the sky in the second one is very good.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

Nice renders everyone!

@ Horo : very nice landscapes picture, the one with the drakkar is well done.

edited July 2016

Horo- love the interior the lights look great, both the landscapes are beautiful, I especially like the reflections in the second one, something else to try - inverted terrains - thankssmiley

Hansmar – the crane render is awesome love the ripple- like effect

Inspired by Dave’s Sea Spray renders Page 83, here are two of mine, I didn’t get the sprays but I like the effects I got.

For the 1st one I used the Horo's Ermclouds08 Hdri and the second the Ermclouds 03 Hdri and one of David’s IES gels.

seascape05.jpg
    675 x 975 - 65K
    seascape06b.jpg
    900 x 450 - 33K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

Mermaid: Thanks! The first one is good, but the second one is fantastic! The vagueness in the sky, giving focus to the render. Was that caused by the light gel?

Thanks Hansmar, about the wagueness I'm not sure, it could be was caused by the light gel or the hdri after I rotated it a bit.

c-ram - thank you Marco.

Mermaid - hank you. Great water scenes.

edited July 2016

Thanks Horo

My attempt at David’s Adding a Photo sky and one of the trees from CGAxis.

A quick question – how can I place something on the horizon using numbers, is there a way? Thanks in advance for the replies.

addingskyphoto.jpg
    960 x 720 - 86K

Mermaid - interesting experiment. I'm not quite sure I fully understand your question. The horizon in Bryce is at position Y=0. If you have an object that has the Size Y=50 you can put it at Position Y=25. The lower edge of the object will touch the horizon.

Horo said:

Mermaid - interesting experiment. I'm not quite sure I fully understand your question. The horizon in Bryce is at position Y=0. If you have an object that has the Size Y=50 you can put it at Position Y=25. The lower edge of the object will touch the horizon.

To the bottom edge of the object touched the horizon, you just need to click on the arrow to "land objects down".

edited July 2016

Horo and Slepalex - Thanks for your help

Maybe I asked the wrong question, I find new things to learn everyday in Bryce. Here’s a screen shot.blush I hope this makes more sense.

horizon.jpg
    994 x 528 - 134K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

it would be on that line if you moved it thousands of BU backwards, and grew it bigger to compensate.  

Thanks Chohole, I normally work that way, but I'm looking for an easier way like if there are xBU that I can move an object backwards, and then resize it once it's there.

edited July 2016

The ground plane is only shown as 163.84 x 163.84 wireframe and thus the wireframe does not extend to the horizon, the ground plane rendered, however, does. Make the ground plane 102,400 x 102,400 (maximal size) and the wireframe extends to the horizon.

If a person stands on a big flat plane, the horizon is above the person but when the person moves far away and provided you can still see it, it will stand near or at the horizon line.

On second thought, if the camera position is at Y=0 (and the ground plane lower or removed or hidden), all landed objects "sit" on the horizon. If you want them to appear above and below the horizon, position them at Y=0.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2016

Not quite right. We need to do the following.
    1. The camera is looking north.
    2. Set for a sphere coordinate Z = 102400.
    3. Press several times on the key "*" to get the desired size of the sphere of.
    4. Click the arrow to "land objects down".

gorizon.jpg
    724 x 486 - 63K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
    Slepalex said:

Not quite right. We need to do the following.
    1. The camera is looking north.
    2. Set for a sphere coordinate Z = 102400.
    3. Press several times on the key "*" to get the desired size of the sphere of.
    4. Click the arrow to "land objects down".

Another thing (joke) in Bryce:
    1. Set object coordinate Z = 200 000.
    2. Okay.
    3. Recheck coordinate Z.
    4. Surprise!

What Slepalex mentioned was what I was after. So Bryce ends at 102400, even resizing anything more than 102400 the figure jumps back to 102400.

Learnt something new smiley

Thanks Horo and Slepalex

This discussion has been closed.