Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287

Electro-Elvis - thank you. Great idea with Never Look Back, great render, too. Hansmar is right, the aspect ratio on the big picture is wrong. When you scale the picture in this forum software, only scale width, height is calculated automatically.

Hansmar - thank you. Not sure what you see on the leaves. Down the bottle is a really cool tunnel abstract. Could be inside a bottle.

c-ram - thank you. Oh yes, I'm not very patient when it comes to details.

Dave - mushrooms look great.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,177
    edited July 2016

Horo- thanks, beautiful landscape, nice reflections on the water.

Electro-Elvis – thanks. Another great render, I like the pose on the left.

Hansmar – thanks, nice abstract, Down the bottle, if the material was bluish it will make a cool whirlpool.

C-ram – I will also be interested in the paved street tut, pmed you my email addy. Thanks

Dave- I remember these mushrooms, they are awesome. Trish also posted some cool metaball renders at that time. Thanks for showing me where I will find the volumetric snow.

Another Abstract using some of the metaball objects, (very simple-basic shapes) I made at the time and the Coloured3c Hdri

metaballscolored3c.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 50K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

c-ram - you're generous Marco, you know my email. I'm always eager to learn something.

Mermaid - very nice abstract.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited July 2016

Dave: Wonderful mushrooms.I think with metaballs, instead of texture for the balls on the hood, they would even look better.

Horo: Thanks. What I see in your leaves is that they are have all tiny (light and dark) spots, like the pencilsketch renders. Not all, by the way. Not the 'grass' ones.

Mermaid: Whirlpool? Maybe a good idea. Love your abstract. Like a set of bacteria or something.

I made another abstract from the set of metaballs that also made the glass bottle render. Also a reflecting sphere around it. Different view and textures. Title: Celestial.

celestial.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 488K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Horo - thanks

Hansmar - thanks, very impressive abstract, considering you used the same set of metaballs, Awesome yes

Hansmar - looks like a duck, beautiful.

Mermaid: Thanks. It is great to use the same things and change textures, skies, perspectives, specifically in abstracts.

Horo: Thank you. Indeed, looks like duck! Must be a Chinese star sign?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

I created a plant using Metaballs.... I think it's got somewhere in the region of 5000 of them, maybe more. I then decided that it would be better to convert it into a mesh... I clicked the [C] button... Two days and it still hasn't completed the task.

I know Bryce can do it because I tested it with a strand of grass I'd created (but that only used 44 Metaballs), it had no problem.

How long should I leave it before admitting it's 'Hung' Bryce?... Any offers? laugh

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

I created a plant using Metaballs.... I think it's got somewhere in the region of 5000 of them, maybe more. I then decided that it would be better to convert it into a mesh... I clicked the [C] button... Two days and it still hasn't completed the task.

I know Bryce can do it because I tested it with a strand of grass I'd created (but that only used 44 Metaballs), it had no problem.

How long should I leave it before admitting it's 'Hung' Bryce?... Any offers? laugh

There is a proposal: to press the "reboot" button.
    Why the right hand to scratch the left ear? wink

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I hoped you have a copy saved from before you pressed that button

Dave - what a patient chap you are! Have you any tool on the Mac that shows the processor use (as we have with the Task Manager on Windoze)? When I get impatient with an apparently sleepy Bryce (which is usually after 10 seconds), I start it and when the processor works (12.5% on an 8-core) I know Bryce is doing something and wait. After all, we did 1 week renders a few years ago.

Chohole said:

I hoped you have a copy saved from before you pressed that button

Yes, I pulled the plant out of my Object library to work on it a bit more... I still have the original in there. :)

Horo: Patience isn't something I usually have... My scenes are usually quick ones and my renders quicker laugh

But I've had a fair amount of stuff to do away from the computer so I thought I'd leave it and see.... Yes, there is an "Activity Monitor" on the Mac but I've no idea what it's telling me... Perhaps I should have taken a screen grab, but I forced Bryce to quit because now I have some 'real' work to do and can't afford to continue my experiment to see how long (if at all) it would have taken.

edited July 2016

The troublesome plant... Not converted to a mesh laugh

MetaPlantTest.jpg
    975 x 975 - 592K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I'm not sure what it is, but that's a cool shape.

edited July 2016

Dave - interesting plant.

I've played some more with David's IES light maps. Not actually what they are intended to be used for, but interesting to experiment with nevertheless. I worked a bit to create an HDRI from one which makes the backdrop and the ambient light. The original I used as gel on a distant light to create the high lights. So we have here an alien planet around a sun that ejected part of its mass into space.

Ringed Sun

RingedSun.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 131K
    Post edited by Horo on

Dave - Wow beautiful plant

Horo - great render, I also played with the IES gels, but not with much success.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    sriesch said:

I'm not sure what it is, but that's a cool shape.

The great spiraling cattail, of course.

Yes, it looks cool! I wished I knew how to create something like that.

Horo: looks wonderful - I like those pictures where not the whole landscape is bathed in light.

Dave: Great plant!

Horo: wonderful lighting.

edited July 2016

A still done using the IES light gels David shared and a freebie from CGAxis.

ieslighing-still.jpg
    500 x 500 - 18K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited July 2016

Still playing with some metaballs here.

MetaShoots2.jpg
    675 x 975 - 337K
    edited July 2016

@mermaid010: nice way of lighting!

@Dave Savage: Really nice plants!

I made a scifi city from a 'greeble' I made in Hexagon. The whole city is one object, divided in a number of groups with different (Bryce procedural) textures. I put several lights in the city with different colours. And a number of sci-fi planes and elements in the scene.

What do you think?

scicity.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1014K

Dave - cool plant

Hansmar - thanks. Nice scific scene, the greeble building and the different lights fit the scene.  

edited July 2016

Mermaid - thank you. The flowers in the box look great. I'm just missing a vase devil

Kerya - thank you.

Hansmar - thank you. Your greeble city looks great with the airborne spacecraft.

Dave - metaball plant loks great.

I experimented some more with the gels from David and used one of them to create a ringed planet. A sphere, a 2D-Disk and a radial with a gel (named Defined) above the set. The 2D-Disk has Diffuse and is fully transparent. On the left side, the radial casts normal light onto the planet and 2D-Disk, the planet is 50% transparent with 300 refraction to light the parts not illuminated by the radial. At right, the planets have no transparency, the radial casts negative diffuse exclusively onto the 2D-Disk and the sun lights the scene.

Ringed Planets

Click on image to enlarge.

RingedPlanets.jpg
    1600 x 510 - 36K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2016

Mermaid and Horo: Thanks.

Horo: nice experimenting!

I moved the camera and the spacecraft, changed the textures, the sky and the lights (also location). The strange look of vagueness is caused by partial transparency of some of the buildings. I like the effect, so decided to keep it this way.

Scicity2

scicity2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 864K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 859
    edited July 2016

Thanks all for their comment and the hint for scaling the picture. But if I remember correctly I could not influence the scale, the forum software has prefilled both values.

@c-ram: I have sent you my email address with a PN. I looking forward to your findings about pavements. Thanks very much in advance.

@Dave Savage: Great plants. Your mushrooms are impressive, hard to believe you made them out of metaballs. There seems to be a lot of potential in these balls.

@Hansmar: Really nice futuristic city scenes. I like the first one most. Good texture for the building

@mermaid010: Lovely plant. I haven't looked at IES light gels yet.

@Horo: That looks like a really frosty alien planet. Wonderful terrains and light.

I was a good customer yesterday and bought the vega bundle from the DAZ store. It is made for genesis 3 (what else). I think with genesis 3 characters we gradually scratch at the capacity of Bryce. My scene with the woman, the hair and the clothes only already uses about 2,5 GB RAM. Render time for this picture in middle quality (TA 36 Maximum Ray Depth, MRD, 4) nearly 7 hours. Maximum ray depth of 4 is actually too less to render the bangs accuratly. And not to forget the effort for postwork e.g. with broken bump maps after I imported the OBJ file into Bryce, nearly 2 hours (but that's part of the fun :-)

g3vegaface.jpg
    800 x 600 - 292K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited July 2016
    @Dave Savage: Great plants. Your mushrooms are impressive, hard to believe you made them out of metaballs. There seems to be a lot of potential in these balls.

I cheated slightly with the Mushrooms... Well it's not really cheating, but they aren't 100% metaballs. The stalk and the cap are the metaball components, the gills underneath where then made to fit using a combination of multiple replicate of some very thin cylinders and a negative boolean on a torus.

I like the imperfect skin around the nose of your G3 model, I am a big fan of the skin textures with freckles and bumps. I guess it's the trans map on the hair that takes the time to render... Putting a hat on a model is a great way to cut that render time. laugh

I've been painfully working on another metaball 'shoot'... Though this one is destined to be left as it's now at a point where loading it and doing anything to it in Bryce takes forever for the application to catch up and it's just getting frustrating.

MetaShootsBranchedB.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 563K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited July 2016

Between a laptop that was giving problems, fixed now, and concentrating on DAZ Studio I haven't been working with Bryce for a while. I did this for the Storm contest but too late :)

Fire Storm

Click on image for full size.

fire-storm-01.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 246K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited July 2016

Hansmar - thank you, experimenting can be fascinating sometimes. I took your Scicity2 as a room full of equipment. Probably because of the low hanging clouds.

Electro-Elvis - thank you. Your renders of "dolls" always amazes me. The lady has an interesting facial expression. Hair can have a quite high poly count and are slow to render. Skin uv-maps may also be very demanding on memory. You got the hang of how skin must be rendered. The subdued gloss on the nose, below the left eye and above the upper lip make her look really living.

Dave - great metaball plant. Though Bryce can use up to 8 processor cores to render, I think all the rest just uses one.

Fishtales - Great firestorm, pity you missed the fun.

I started doing an indoor using the IES lights but the result turned out somehow different.

Hills and Dales

HillsAndDales.jpg
    1200 x 810 - 236K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071

@Horo

Thank you, nice hills and dales render.

@Electro-Elvis: Thank you. Yep, these Genesis 3 characters are not really aimed at simple Bryce rendering! Still, your result is very good; she looks quite realistic.

@Dave Savage: Fantastic metaballs shoot. 

@Fishtales: What a pity that you were too late. Very nice render.

@Horo: Thanks. Well, my render could indeed be in a computer room (very big one), where the clouds are the ceiling. What a fantastic, not so much indoors, render you made there.

This discussion has been closed.