Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    Horo said:

Fencepost52 - great island render, Art. I'm less convinced with the haze in the building but it could be useful for a ghostly scene.

Well, I was kinda going for spooky, but if it's not convincing, I need to go back to the drawing board. :-)

Great mountain scene.  I'm going to start experimenting with the Terrain Filters.  May I ask, what scale is your final terrain set to in the scene?  Are you working on a new sunless HDRI product?  I use your other one all the time!

Though I've been otherwise engaged, I have been keeping an admiring eye on the renders appearing.  The landscapes have been particuarlly outstanding.  Though that hardly needs saying.  However I will say something in defence of your hazy scene.  It worked for me.  I felt it really had the atmosphere of a spooky scene.  The only thing I would suggest is perhaps some post processing to give it a bit of a boost.  Since it does not use the full range of brightness that it might.  Though this might have a detremental effect.  Difficult to know without trying.  The "flatness" of the light is good, in that it adds to the grimness, though it is hard to make grimness pleasently artistic.  So I think you have done very well to create this atmosphere.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2016

Some wonderful works...super in their own right. Perspective is important too - putting in, say, a character (figure, animal,  face etc.,), or a recognised object (proportioned tree, building, instrument...other object...etc.,) adds to the intended, 'realistic-strived' view. Sometimes, hard to achieve (not in the above), so super-applied...congrats!.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,184
    edited June 2016

Horo – beautiful landscapes

Electro-Elvis – beautiful render, the skin looks great

TabascoJack – both your renders are nice.

Art- Wow, awesome landscape renders, very natural looking material on the terrains. I like the Haze and fog one too except a skull or two will complete the scene.

Two stills experimenting with Horo’s Pdf https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/Spec-to-TA-Light.pdf after getting additional help from Horo.

specta7modified2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 15K
    specta7modified4b.jpg
    500 x 500 - 21K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited June 2016

Fencepost52 - thank you. I set my terrains to 3600 to 4000 BU (4000 in the case above). The height depends on the scene because it changes the appearance of the landscape dramatically. Above, it is 1/10 of the surface: 400 BU. A new sunless HDRI set? Perhaps. Sometimes the clouds move so fast that I get them banded in the HDRI even if I photograph them in a 5 second interval. The shots I made two weeks ago and labored for 2 days I had to throw away. I had more luck with the last one.

Mermaid - two nice renders, I find the "vase" a great object.

Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

@mermaid010: Good work on these renders. I agree with Horo, the 'vase' is great!

edited June 2016

Thanks Horo and Hansmar, the “vase” is a freebie from ShareCG

I went with Electro-Elvis’s suggestion of a reddish tint for the tent render. I like the effect, Thanks.

deserttent3.jpg
    749 x 500 - 65K
    edited June 2016

Mermaid - the tent looks really great with all the stuff in it.

I've been playing a bit with TE-Filters. Both renders use the same terrain (Fractal) once 16 1024 tiles and the centre additionally 4 2048, both combined.

Glowing Network

Slab of Crystaly

GlowingNetwork.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 409K
    SlabOfCrystals.jpg
    1200 x 915 - 234K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • KerynaKeryna Posts: 101

Ive greatly enjoyed catching up on people's progress with Bryce - great to see such a lot of fine scenes being created, and active learning & testing going on still for us all with David and Horo.

As the greatest slacker  here I thought I'd  post some stuff anyway. (I've been moonlighting learning Unreal Engine 4.xx and 3D Coat - big bendy educational things involved. I still love Bryc and have tackled some of Davids tutorals -

First is me playing more withlight sensitive volumentic materials. This is just a section of the Bryce scene - with rather pleasing details (kind of cosmic energy field effect).

Second is my mobius made by following David's tut on  wings3D (which is GREAT - so much more stable than Hexagon). I added a few extra loops for fun & rendred in Bryce with H&D's metals. 

All the best, Brycers.

SML LightSensetiveVolume Brinnan-BT5-WIDE.jpg
    2332 x 890 - 434K
    SML Mobius Pair X1.jpg
    991 x 868 - 409K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 498
    edited June 2016
    Though I've been otherwise engaged, I have been keeping an admiring eye on the renders appearing.  The landscapes have been particuarlly outstanding.  Though that hardly needs saying.  However I will say something in defence of your hazy scene.  It worked for me.  I felt it really had the atmosphere of a spooky scene.  The only thing I would suggest is perhaps some post processing to give it a bit of a boost.  Since it does not use the full range of brightness that it might.  Though this might have a detremental effect.  Difficult to know without trying.  The "flatness" of the light is good, in that it adds to the grimness, though it is hard to make grimness pleasently artistic.  So I think you have done very well to create this atmosphere.

Thanks, David.  I'm not much into the horror thing so even with photo references or what I think might look right, I struggle with "setting up spooky"; nevertheless, it's been a fun learning experience....whether I'll continue down that path is another matter. wink  But, hey, it can never be wrong to learn something new.  I am posting a new render "spooky style" render below.

Horo said:

Fencepost52 - thank you. I set my terrains to 3600 to 4000 BU (4000 in the case above). The height depends on the scene because it changes the appearance of the landscape dramatically. Above, it is 1/10 of the surface: 400 BU. A new sunless HDRI set? Perhaps. Sometimes the clouds move so fast that I get them banded in the HDRI even if I photograph them in a 5 second interval. The shots I made two weeks ago and labored for 2 days I had to throw away. I had more luck with the last one.

Thanks, Horo.  I played around with the TE Filters and used your sizing references to come up with the render below.    That's interesting (and a shame) that you would expend all that effort on an HDRI and have to throw it all away.  Interesting TE Filter experiments.  Really like the outline effect in the first.

Art- Wow, awesome landscape renders, very natural looking material on the terrains. I like the Haze and fog one too except a skull or two will complete the scene.

Thanks, mermaid.  You know, I thought the same thing about the skull/skeleton objects and experimented with Daz trying to do some poses....yeah, nothing good came of that.  I don't think my brain is capable of generating anything substantive in Daz Studio.  sad  Your specularity experiments are really well done and I think you've improved your tent scene.  Nice work.

Keryna - Nice renders.  The second is my favorite.  Will you be posting the full render for the first?

Here's mine:

Hell's Furnace

Mars Morning

Cista_Sanctus1.jpg
    600 x 900 - 478K
    TF1.jpg
    1250 x 703 - 952K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited June 2016

Keryna - that object is really neat and nicely presenred. Like Fencepost, I'd like to see the full scene of the detail.

Art - like you, I'm not actually in horror things (I've enough of it when looking in the mirror). The temple looks quite good but I don't find it hellish, rather just dusty. Perhaps it is a bit on the bright side overall. The Mars Morning looks really great to me.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited June 2016

Wonderful irridescent glow to your vase, Mermaid...love the colours, too.

Great metallics on your mobius, Keryna...are those of Horo's&David's?

Super atmospheric feel to Hell's Frunace, Art...including a threatening, Draculesque/Devilesque character in the distance, for, say, context or perspective, would scare me, I think ;) Mars Morning looks convincing, too - if interested, check out this VR YouTube vid of the Mars rover, Curiosity, at Gale crater...looks like the terrain isn't always reddish, though.

Jay

edited June 2016

Jay - thanks for the link. The environment was made from data and may or may not have the right materials and colours, like the sky is made in the 3D VR software. Nevertheless, it's really cool to get such detailed height data. I'm updating the images from Spirit and Opportunity on a weekly basis and have collected 370,000 pictures (32 GB) over the last 6 years. However, they are only monochrome, some are artificially coloured and - of course - many anaglyphs. I use the Mars Midnight Browser 1.5.2 (http://midnightmarsbrowser.blogspot.ch/).

Post edited by Horo on

@mermaid010: Tent looks great with the reddish light.

@Horo: Very nice experiments with the filter.

@Keryna: I too would like to see the first one in full. It looks like a great texture. The second one looks very good, well done.

@Art: That temple looks wonderful, with a fine painterly look. But indeed, not hellish. I guess you need more red in it for hell. Nice martian render too; wait: red!

edited June 2016

Your're welcome, Horo, and may I return the thanks also for the Mars Midnight Browser link...just got a new phone, so app-mad at the moment ;)

Jay

edited June 2016

Continued playing with the TE-Filters. Below, twice the same terrain.

Magic Place

Glaciated

MagicPlace.jpg
    1200 x 801 - 194K
    Glaciated.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 166K
    Post edited by Horo on

Wonderful again, Horo!

Horo- thanks. Your renders using TE Filters are awesome, love the SlabofCrystals and MagicPlace is simply magic. smiley

Keryna – both renders are nice

Art- both renders are nice, I love the colors and lighting of Mars Morning

Jay – thanks

Hansmar - thanks

edited June 2016

Good evening, all.  Just a little time to post a few renders and call it a day....I dislike working for a living. wink  All picture titles are arbitrary.  

Atrium4.jpg
    1250 x 703 - 926K
    Misty_Mountain2.jpg
    1250 x 703 - 821K
    Cista_Sanctus.jpg
    600 x 900 - 503K

Beautiful renders Art. The lighting is awesome, how are the render times.

What a wonderful set of renders again, Art. Very cosy yard, wonderful reflection in the water and very, very good cellar render!

edited June 2016

Thanks, mermaid and Hansmar!  I don't know the exact times, but the Cista Sanctus rendered in about 15 minutes and the other 2 took about 2 hours each, including the AA pass.

Here's another I'm working on. Not finished with it yet....

The_Ruins_of_Angkor_Wat.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 842K
    edited June 2016

Hansmar - thank you.

Mermaid - thank you.

Fencepost - very nice patio, landscape with lake looks very good, the inside one looks good with all those shadows. Most recent temple ruin looks very promising.

Here's another tiled terrain, not stacked for once, just the assembled terrain with a material from the Hi-Res Terrain Set 2 and a sunless HDRI sky.

Rugged Country

RuggedCountry.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 242K
    Post edited by Horo on

@Fencepost52: Very nice again. You may want to make the stones on top a bit more rough (change texture).

@Horo: You keep on making wonderful terrains!

Thank you all for your feedback. It's much appreciated.  I was showing a recent image to one of my granddaughters (she's 9) and asked her what thought of it.  Her response, "It looks real from far away, but when you get close it looks kinda fake."  LOL Be careful who/what you ask. yes heart

Hansmar said:

@Fencepost52: Very nice again. You may want to make the stones on top a bit more rough (change texture).

I agree with you completely.  I went back and changed the bump settings for the render below.  Still not satisfied with the results and am thinking your suggestion of changing the texture.  Will give that a go tonight.

Horo - Really like your renders.  The one with snow on it is my favorite.

The_Ruins_of_Angkor_Wat.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 865K

Thank you all for your feedback. It's much appreciated.  I was showing a recent image to one of my granddaughters (she's 9) and asked her what thought of it.  Her response, "It looks real from far away, but when you get close it looks kinda fake."  LOL Be careful who/what you ask. yes heart

Hansmar said:

I agree with you completely.  I went back and changed the bump settings for the render below.  Still not satisfied with the results and am thinking your suggestion of changing the texture.  Will give that a go tonight.

Horo - Really like your renders.  The one with snow on it is my favorite.

edited June 2016

Art – thanks, the Ruins is another lovely render.

Horo- another awesome landscape.

An Underwater scene using elements from the http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-beneath-the-waves  Pack

umderwater11.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
    edited June 2016

@mermaid010: Nice underwater scene. Light and waves work very well!

I made an indoor one, as an excuse of showing a StructureSynth object again. This time, it turned out to be a very stylish and spectacular hat. A hat for a lady that drives a great car. I did not make that Bugatti, nor the designer chair. I'm not sure where the dress came from, but the suit of the man comes from Wilmap's. 

Title: "See something you like?" or maybe: "What do you mean: sexy?"

strange hat1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 868K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited June 2016

Hansmar - thank you. That's the most creative use for the Grinder model from Structure Synth I've ever seen. I really like the idea and what you made with it.

Fencepost - the temple looks very nice, Art. The materials are image based, I reckon. Bryce is not very good at creating bump from images.

Mermaid - very nice underwater scene with the caustics on the floor.

Another tiled terrains scene using the same terrain as above but other materials and sky. Air and water alone doesn't make a habitable planet.

Air & Water

AirAndWater.jpg
    1200 x 705 - 186K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited June 2016

Thanks, all.  Horo, you're correct, they are image based textures.  I re-rendered last night with a few different textures and am calling it done for now.  Not gonna post it again because it's probably been seen enough. LOL  

Horo - very well done planetary scene.  It's fun to see how different materials, lighting, etc. can change the feel of the same objects in a scene.

mermaid - neat underwater render.  I think I'll stay away from the treasure chests for the time being. smiley

Hansmar - HAHA! Great use of the structure synth object.  Nice posing with the people because it really adds to the scene.  

A WIP from me....not sure where I'm going with it or if I'll eventually just call it done...I know one thing I want to do is work on the lighting and bring more shadows into play.

Maple.jpg
    800 x 800 - 747K

Hansmar – thanks. Very nice indoor render I agree with Horo, unusual use of the Structure Synth Grinder.

Horo – thanks. AirandWater is a great scene.

Art – thanks, those sharks don’t bite, its safe. wink Another lovely image, great grass.

This discussion has been closed.