Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid010 - Your blue abstract from the TE Filter by Horo using the gas cloud HDRI is one that had me staring for quite awhile. That's what art can do. Of your more recent renders, the one with the green/blue spires reminds me of The Emerald City from The Wizard of Oz.

@kevinodwyer - Interesting abstract. I'm glad you found Mr. Brinnen's guidance useful. What you came up with reminds me of a Van Gogh painting.

@vivien1 - Nice approach to the wake idea. I've seen others have success using tori instead of spheres. Are the two tree populated islands individual terrains?

@Hansmar - That is a great flower field. Thank you so much for explaining how you did it. I've got to try that sometime. As for True Ambiance, more tree volume, and such, that scene doesn't need it. It's more surreal than real, and an attempt at more realism could ruin it. I like it.

I saw a funny quote in another forum I wanted to share:

"There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited May 2015

CTippetts said:
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Correct! The one that wrote that is one of them. :lol:
    Post edited by Horo on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

It's good to see all of the very nice renders from those who posted. Abstracts are especially vibrant.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited December 1969

Dave- the catalogue is awesome.

CTippetts –thanks for the comments. Can you help me with the Flock of birds material you shared? I don’t understand the Boolean bit. Thanks

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks Mermaid :)

Returned to another theme that seems to crop up in my work a lot... water droplets on a tiled surface.

For this, the water droplets are slightly Y axis squashed spheres randomly multiplied by the Instancing Lab, then "Align Y Center" and sunk about halfway in to the tiled surface (which is made from Rashad's Additional Primitive rounded cubes).

HDRI backdrop (for reflection and some of the lighting) is from Horo and is called 'Indoor'.

WetTile.jpg
    1461 x 738 - 426K
    edited December 1969

CTippetts –thanks for the comments. Can you help me with the Flock of birds material you shared? I don’t understand the Boolean bit. Thanks

@mermaid010 - No, you don't need help with Booleans on the Bird Flock Material. The Bird Flock Material needs help with Booleans. It seems I didn't test it anywhere near as well as I should have before frustrating other people with it. I apologize.

The first time I made and used it, it was back in January in the first image below. In that image, the flock is off in the distance so far that I did not see the anomalies created by the Boolean operations on it.

It turns out that the sphere is the best object to use it on, too. After seeing your post, and trying it out more, I was hoping that applying it to a stone would give enough randomness to appear like a natural flock form without trying to trim a sphere with Boolean objects, but, it turns out, the stone object, (or any other mesh, for that matter), delivers distortion anomalies that are just not acceptable.

What seems to be happening is, the Boolean objects, rather than just cutting a gap in the sphere, create a new face that the material gets applied to, and, seemingly, not at the same percentage property as the rest of the object, making unacceptable "specks".

Oddly, I tried making a ball like object out of a lattice, thinking that, by leaving the "Solid", (or "Solid when Rendered", depending on the Bryce version), parameter unchecked, the negative Boolean object would simply punch a hole, without creating a face for the material to distort on, but, alas, even that produces the unacceptable specks.

What I did find in my tests is that, when applied to a sphere alone with no attempt to cut away part of it, the best results are achieved, though the flock form is un-natural. However, using cubes to chop up the the sphere, where the flat faces of the cube where in contact with the sphere are parallel to the angle of the perspective camera, the anomalous specks are so flat, they can mostly not be seen ... they become one dimensional.

In the example in the second image below, (which, by the way, was built very quickly ... in less than 15 minutes, and looks it, too), the flock around the column on the left is carved up that way.

The huge flock around the island off in the distance is carved up with spheres. I'm sure with some adjustments, that could look more natural. However, at that distance, did I need a flock of birds, or would a random pattern of specks be just as good?

The flock around the green, um, bump in the foreground to the right has no Boolean trimming. The sphere that flock is on is deceptively small, and almost touching the camera. That bump is not a terrain, but a small crumb of a terrain. The terrain it's a crumb of is behind and to the left of the perspective camera, as seen in the overhead view of the scene. Please note that some of the birds have parts buried in the bump. This is pretty much unavoidable without painstaking Boolean trimming, which could instead result in the unwanted specks.

You can see the sizes of the important objects, and the changes to the material for each of the three flocks in the fifth image. However, It might be easier to just look at the BR5 file itself, which I made available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcobviwf9goe7k6/BirdFlockTests.br5?dl=0

In short, I'm sorry I burdened anyone with a material that is so difficult and flakey to use. Trimming a sphere with cubes aligning the cubes faces to the angle of the camera is the best way to make a non-spherical flock. It can work, but making it work may not be worth the time and effort. If anyone gets good reults with it, I'd like to see it, so, please post it.

HAVE FUN!

BirdFlocksTest_AttributesAndMatLabs.jpg
    1630 x 1450 - 355K
    BirdFlocksTest_AboveView.jpg
    700 x 814 - 115K
    BirdFlocksTest_WireFrame.jpg
    1753 x 917 - 380K
    BirdFlocksTest.jpg
    1760 x 922 - 270K
    FoggyBay_Final.jpg
    1760 x 922 - 936K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

hansmar - Lovely looking field. Nice touch with the bicycle and tractor.

mermaid - Nice renders. I really like the expanse of the 3rd one and the warm sky

Ctippetts - Thank you for the info for the grate. Silly me. I was trying to open it with br5 ext instead of br7. As for the "Yellow Brick Road", you are most welcome, the b/w scene of the house in the twister was a very excellent idea. And I used only 2 terrains for the lake scene. One for the outer range and one submerged enough in the water to form the islands with trees

Dave - Great render of the catalogue. And the floor with water droplets looks absolutely fantastic. I would have said it was a photo.

Horo - A big thank you for your input... I do prefer the look of this second lake scene. Did the sky, as you suggested.. The Calm Grey Water, for some reason I could not download, so I picked Derwent Water Varient 3 which has 100% transparency. As for the foam. I did try, but foam and myself are not the best friends yet. One day maybe.

lake1.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 237K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

morning

000_523.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 610K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - water dropplets look great, good idea.

@vivien1 - I think your scene has greatly improved. I'm sorry you couldn't get the water material from bryce5.com. You can get it on my website (see sig). Go to Raytracing > Resources > Materials Page 1 > matCalmWater.zip. It contains a blue and a grey water material.

@bigh - very nice render, really.

@CTippetts - thank you for the birds, I gave them a try. I couldn't get them as your first render but I'm quite happy with having them at the distance. I put them on a 2D-Face and positioned it. The size in the Transformation Tools is set to 0, so there are no repetitions. Otherwise, I'm not very happy with the render. TA brightens up the shadowy parts near the camera but the geometry of the middle ground gets completely lost. I'm currently render it with IBL, which takes longer but looks superior (I think). But the idea was to play with the birds.

Straits-05-TA.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 165K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

@CTippetts - thank you for the birds, I gave them a try. I couldn't get them as your first render but I'm quite happy with having them at the distance. I put them on a 2D-Face and positioned it. The size in the Transformation Tools is set to 0, so there are no repetitions. Otherwise, I'm not very happy with the render. TA brightens up the shadowy parts near the camera but the geometry of the middle ground gets completely lost. I'm currently render it with IBL, which takes longer but looks superior (I think). But the idea was to play with the birds.

Wow! Those are my birds? You sure know how to use Bryce to excel where others have failed. I realize a 2D Face is a typical use of a pict based material, but the goal was to get them wrapped around a mountain or spire, so they appear to be all around it. You made me realize that, perhaps the answer to that is to simply use two 2D Faces ... one in front of, and one behind the object they are to appear to be all around. As for your impression that "the geometry of the middle ground gets completely lost", I don't see it that way. It looks very clear to me. Very realistic. GREAT WORK!

edited May 2015

Dave- Cool droplets, the lighting perfect.

Vivien – Thanks, your render is nice, and you got some foam around the islands.

Bigh –awesome render.

Horo – nice work with the birds, I tried with a 2D Face too.

CTippetts said:

@mermaid010 - No, you don't need help with Booleans on the Bird Flock Material. The Bird Flock Material needs help with Booleans. It seems I didn't test it anywhere near as well as I should have before frustrating other people with it. I apologize.

CTippetts - There is no need to apologize. I’m the one that needs to apologize, giving up before trying all the options. :red: I had a lot of fun this weekend trying different things after posting for help. Thanks for sharing the material with us and the additional information you posted.

For the 1st image I used a sphere over the camera and in the 2nd image I used a 2D Face for both renders I set the transformation to 1. I used alpine terrains which were stacked and manipulated in Horo’s TE Filter and one of the preset skies.

The 3rd render I used spikes again manipulated in Horo’s TE filter program, David’s Infinite city material from Bryce5.com and the GascloudA3 Hdri.

Edited: Sorry, the 1st image is the flock of birds material on a 2D Face and the 2nd one on the Sphere.

te17.jpg
    600 x 600 - 19K
    te20b.jpg
    900 x 675 - 21K
    te20a.jpg
    900 x 675 - 21K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited May 2015

@CTippetts - I have yet to experiment with other (booleaned) objects to map the flock of birds around. If you use 2D-Faces, experiment with rotating the face. This way you can get some feel of depth, some birds seem nearer, some farther away.

@mermaid010 - great job. You got the birds larger than I managed. Less good is that some got behind the mountain. You may also want to light the object with the birds separately. Consider the distance to the camera as well, because haze can get in the way. I think you have a great setup in the first two renders but the light on the birds isn't convincing. The third scene looks great.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. I'm not convinced either. Getting the lighting and materials to match is something I still have problems with. Hopefully I will get it right one day. I tried using a radial light for the birds but I did not like the effect.

Still playing with the TE Filter program and CTippetts flock of birds, another stacked terrain this time the Zorch, and positioning the birds further away from the camera and frequency for the material set to 0 as you mentioned in your previous post.

The second render is combining two DTE generated terrains, foamy water and swirl waves, in the TE Filter program. Not sure what it is but I like the result.

The 3rd- A surreal - mordors and ridges combined in the TE Filter program. and lit by the Dungeon Dimension Hdri. The terrain has the default material to complete the effect I used the Light in the Lens effect from Lens and Filter Pack

This program is very addictive.

te23.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 26K
    te21.jpg
    600 x 600 - 21K
    te22.jpg
    600 x 600 - 20K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited May 2015

@mermaid010: Beautiful pictures! I like all of them, but the last one with the lens and filter effect and these surreal desert city scene - very nice indeed! BTW Horo's TE filter program - uhm did I miss something?

@Horo: That's a great landscape. I like this very sunny impression and the birds of course

@bigh: Very good indoor scene. It looks a bit cool, but I guess that was your intention.

@vivien1: Your second lake scene looks great. And the foam is not too bad either. In my opinion foam is hard to achive. foam and myself are not the best friends either.

@CTippetts: Thanks a lot for your grate. And I hope I find the time to experiment with the birds. Actually they look quite nice.

@TheSavage64: Really convincing looking water droplets. Amazing job!

On sunday I ran into the Bryce tutorial of Robin Wood, which I printed a few years ago. I feel like creating something out of it and rebuilt this little temple. And BTW learnt a lot interesting things about volumetric lights. Oh boy, an fully undiscovered area for me.

kleinertempel.jpg
    1000 x 577 - 105K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,891
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks, Yes, I know about the special trees (used some in the other field). But I like to play around in NgPlant; it is not very difficult and you get to get the forms you want.
    You used the birds effectively.

@Mermaid: Thanks. The fields really got me, but now I have to work on the contest!
    I like your renders, specifically the second one, from Superman, I think. And the experiment with the filter (with the sun right in front) works very well too. And the last one with the lens effect is great!

@CTippetts: Thanks. I might not listen to you and still try to improve it in my eyes. The trees are reasonably OK,. but the tulips close-up do not work very well, I think.

@TheSavage64: Great catalogue. And wonderful droplets too. The tiles look better in the droplet render than in the catalogue render, I think.

@vivien1: Thanks. Of course, what is a Dutch agricultural field without a tractor and a bike?
    I really like your scene. I have had no luck at all with foam too, so we have to keep trying.

@bigh: That's a very good morning! Wonderful.

@electro-elvis: Wonderful magical scene.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks all

And again apologies for my recent hit and run posts... Still hectic here, but did find time to knock this one together at the weekend.

RedDragonSeek.jpg
    1666 x 975 - 442K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks for the comments - have a good one :coolhmm:

edited December 1969

I made, um, a battery. Yup. That's all ... a battery. It's made entirely from Bryce primitives, and a phoney label I made in Paint Shop Pro and used as a material. You can have it. You may have some virtual electronic equipment that has no power. It looks like a AA battery, but, since it's virtual, it can power anything virtual, even if it requires "... 1.21 Gigawatts! Great Scott!". It's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gueapdg8u681nyv/AABattery.br5?dl=0

HAVE FUN!

BatteryPile.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 121K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Here is one of my few made renders in Bryce till now. It doesn't look that bad but left me with feeling that I need a lot more to learn to make something really good.

Bridge_Valley.png
    1076 x 1076 - 216K
    edited December 1969

Electro-Elvis – Thanks Horo’s TE Filter program is presently going through the process in the Daz Stores. Your render is very nice. Robin Wood’s tutorials are so cool I keep going back to them.

Hansmar – Thanks

Dave – another beautiful render

CTippetts – Nice batteries, thanks for sharing

Gulan7 – nice render. Welcome to the Bryce Forum

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - birds look much better. The terrains look great, the centre one is particularly special. Great job.

@electro-elvis - the temple looks very nice. Good use of soft shadows, subtle but noticeable.

@Dave - looks as if Geraldine is abroad, the lands doesn't look that dark to me. ;-) Great render!

@CTippetts - I had known a few guys that took that medication regularly at work, were addicts, in fact. Very nicely done.

@gulan7 - great start, there is yet some potential to improve, but don't be hasty. You're already well on your way. Just keep it up.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Thank You Very Much, I really hope I can improve and make some good renders. Need to try it a bit harder :).

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited December 1969

I'll show you my last work: My Dreamhome No 3.

Great works here from you all.... :-)

Horo, did you made your work with David's Shoreline Tutorial? I tried it, but it won't work... I think I made mistakes there. I'll try it again.
    Your Render is really beautiful :-)

Dreamhome_3.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

@CTippetts - I had known a few guys that took that medication regularly at work, were addicts, in fact. Very nicely done.

@Horo - I assume you mean they dragged around pocket and hand held devices that had them changing their batteries all the time. Yes ... that's an addiction.

@yellow pen - Your dream house is very nice, but your dream landscaper does a wonderful job. I believe it's the landscaping that makes your image worth looking at for a long time.

@gulan7 - Happy to see you have joined us. I have had many, many renders that did not look that good. Keep it up. Most of all, HAVE FUN!

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Bigh - Very nice render

CTippetts - Ill need a bit more time to get my head around the birds, nevertheless, thanks for sharing

Horo - Your flock turned out great, very realistic

Mermaid - Very good job on the birds as well. And I do like your 3rd surreal scene with its fluorescent sky. For your second post... Much better lighting of the flock. Now I can see the details of the birds. Not sure what the second one reminds me of. But it works. And I like the flare of the third. I like all of them.

Electro- elvis - Good to hear I'm not the only one who hasn't befriended Mr Foam. And must admit, I never heard about volumetric lights.. Must investigate, I like the reflection on the ceiling of the temple.

hansmar - Thank you, and for sure one day we will conquer the foam.

Dave - Just going by the cover, if its a book, Ill read it, If its a film, Ill watch it...
    Beautiful render

CTippetts - That reminds me, I need some square batteries, unless you want to make me some virtual ones. They look so real that I'm sure they will work.

Gulan - Very good start. Nicely done and welcome.

yellow Pen - I do like seeing building make out in bryce.... Beautiful garden and home..

edited December 1969

@CTippetts - yup, I got it wrong, I took it for pils that suck out the energy. Now I see these are batteries and I even know the anti-name.

The render below is to thank you for the nice grate. I made a box with 6 of them and put an HDRI inside it and around a sphere with the camera in it, attached the GWL. The light shines through the grate (visible in the centre) and the shadows are cast onto the sphere, which is a bit transparent so that the HDRI backdrop is visible.

@yellow Pen - very nice building and vegetation. Very nice render with the soft shadows.

@vivien1 - thank you.

IronGrateInside.jpg
    800 x 800 - 185K
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited December 1969

CTippets, Vivian and Horo, thanks for your nice comments :-)

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited May 2015

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Here just another one. The light in the middle may be brighter, but could not figure out how.

Second Picture: I think, I have found a way to brighten up the light.

lightmasterv2_small.jpg
    640 x 480 - 25K
    lightmaster.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - Wow! You sure did! I got to see your first version before I went to the store and thought it looked great as it was, but, by the time I got back, you had the better version here already. Nice work!

@Horo - You sure can take something simple and make wonderful art out of it. Thanks! I mean, I'm honored that I made something useful to you. Also, I did an image search, and figured out what you meant about what they called "yellow jackets". I never saw a real one. Sorry you had to. Sorry your co-workers felt they needed them.

@Vivien1 - Do you mean a "9-volt" battery? If so, funny you should say that, because I already plan on making one. Also, in the way of square batteries, I am also planning on doing one of the old "dry cells", with the "pig tail" terminals. In fact, I think I'll do a car batter as well ... old style ... with the round posts. All just for fun, of course, but I'll try to make them available for anyone who needs virtual power.

edited December 1969

Horo-Thanks. Nice way to use the grates, very creative.

Yellow Pen – Wow beautiful render

Vivien – Thanks

Electro-elvis – both renders are nice.

I used the same terrain as the center one in post 463, the DTE generated terrains, foamy water and swirl waves combined in Horo’s the TE Filter Program. The 1st render is lit by a convolved Indoor Hdri viewed through the GWl from the Lens and Filter Pack

The 2nd render is lit the IBLg_Rb Hdri viewed through the FLO lens (fisheye lens) I’m really pleased with the results of the 2nd one. I don’t normally give my renders titles but this one I call “A Delicate Rose”

te25.jpg
    500 x 500 - 24K
    te24.jpg
    500 x 500 - 12K
This discussion has been closed.