New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

123457»

Comments

• ExperimenterExperimenter Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Here is my picture for the contest. What do you think? Is anything missing? Should I change something?
    Thank you for your help

My_Secret_.jpg
    618 x 799 - 238K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited May 2014

letseeits said:
    this way sir, you were expedited!
    some after work with gimp

Very nice image. My only quibble is that the color of the light in the background doesn't match the red light on the figure. There doesn't seem to be anything overt that could be throwing the red.

Post edited by SGCBearcub on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Need a little help on this one, the glass orb is showing my light sources and I can't find a way to hide them.

Figure, clothes, pose, props, set, and lighting all fit together very well. I think the orb should show reflections from your light sources. If it's glass, it should have some sort of fresnel effect...that can be a challenge to set up, but if it's not enabled it could be the reason the reflections look a little odd. Personally I think it's fine as is, but if it's bothering you, that's something you might consider looking into.
    edited December 1969

ive been using daz for a week and this is like my first attempt,hope you like it =)
    render : regular daz studio render engine
    color correction: photoshop CC
    hair : garibaldi hair
    figure : genesis 2 female base

The realism is impressive, especially considering when you started using DS! My advice at this point is to concentrate on composition. I think someone may have linked to this already, but there is a wealth of information to be found here.
    edited December 1969

Here is another stab at the first S-Girl portrait, this time with some stars and the sun Rao (from her home system) behind her. The planets, stars, and stuff in the background were done in Blender... I follow it with a different type of shot. This is actually from one of the panels of the comic I am working on. I have removed the dialogue and such, but I kind of like the look of it as a portrait. The background is a public-domain image of a country sky at night. I'm not sure which one I like better... Any thoughts?

I like the second one much better. The first one is fine, but I like the dramatic lighting and expression of the second. The hair is really cool in that one too.
    edited December 1969

letseeits said:
    this way sir, you were expedited!
    some after work with gimp

I really like her expression and the overall composition. My biggest complaint is that the foreground lighting seems a little hard and intense compared to the more subdued background.
    edited December 1969

Here is my picture for the contest. What do you think? Is anything missing? Should I change something?
    Thank you for your help

I love the assymmetry in her face and expression, and I like the pose as well. Similarly, if the primary light source was off to one side so that one half of her face was lit more strongly than the other, I think that would make for a more dramatic portrait.

The depth of field works well--makes the subject stand out nicely from the background (in your final render, you should crank up the render settings so that it looks smoother).

• ExperimenterExperimenter Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Thank you Scott-Livingston for your tips. I used them in this new version of my pic. Now what is your opinion to all?

My_Secret_new.jpg
    618 x 799 - 244K
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

I call this Valkyrie in Flight

Valkyrie_in_Flight.jpg
    868 x 772 - 342K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Thank you Scott-Livingston for your tips. I used them in this new version of my pic. Now what is your opinion to all?

The lighting on this version is much better.

edited May 2014

@Experimenter: Big improvement, in my opinion!

@spmwc: The pose and sky are very dramatic. But I'm not sure this qualifies as a "portrait" in the traditional sense. See chohole's posts on the first page of the thread.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

@spmwc: It does not qualify for this contest. It is a very good render but not the focus of this contest.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There's something out there, I can smell it.

Face_01.png
    565 x 800 - 595K
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

I hope this suits the contest better.
    I call it " Not a woman you want to mess with"

Not_A_woman_you_want_to_mess_with.jpg
    868 x 772 - 253K
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited May 2014

I'm trying to capture a little bit of crazy in his expression... I think I got it, but I'm not entirely happy with the eyes.
    I had to redraw them manually, and I think it shows. I definitely need to revisit this piece to work on the way the color comes through the Cutline effect I'm using (which looks better at full size, by the way). HMMMM. Looking at it again, I think the mustache needs to come up a bit under the nose, as well, so that it curves out and away from the nose, rather than coming straight down there, as it does here.

Rex_Face.jpg
    742 x 972 - 225K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone! I have already posted my final render to the contest thread but I wanted to show you two different versions of the portrait I just did.

Let me know what you think! The story of the portrait can be found in the official contest thread.

genesis_2_female_portraits.jpg
    1160 x 746 - 532K
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the New Users Forum dave.evert

It is easy to get caught up in the idea of needing all the shiny toys DAZ has to offer but sometimes it is also good to get back to basics.

You have done a lovely job with G2F.

Good luck.

edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    I call this Valkyrie in Flight

Nice render. I hope you consider doing a tight shot of her head/face to enter into the contest.

edited December 1969

bobfisher said:
    There's something out there, I can smell it.

He certainly looks like he's ready for trouble.

edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    I hope this suits the contest better.
    I call it " Not a woman you want to mess with"

I tend to agree with your title. I wouldn't mess with her. ;-)

edited December 1969

mmitchell said:
    I'm trying to capture a little bit of crazy in his expression... I think I got it, but I'm not entirely happy with the eyes.
    I had to redraw them manually, and I think it shows. I definitely need to revisit this piece to work on the way the color comes through the Cutline effect I'm using (which looks better at full size, by the way). HMMMM. Looking at it again, I think the mustache needs to come up a bit under the nose, as well, so that it curves out and away from the nose, rather than coming straight down there, as it does here.

Definitely an interesting effect. I look forward to seeing your refined version.

You definitely captured the "little bit of crazy" IMHO.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Oh thanks very much! Right now, I am trying to get a good render of genesis 2 male. I might post it here as well if it looks decent : )

edited December 1969

Oh thanks very much! Right now, I am trying to get a good render of genesis 2 male. I might post it here as well if it looks decent : )

Do keep in mind that next month's contest will be lighting based on either the portrait you submit this month or a new portrait render.

If you have any questions, please ask. Someone will be happy to help with suggestions.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone! I have already posted my final render to the contest thread but I wanted to show you two different versions of the portrait I just did.

Let me know what you think! The story of the portrait can be found in the official contest thread.

This is a really nice portrait. I think the color is a little more effective than the b&w version because her eyes become too flat in the b&w. Maybe a subtle bit of postwork to increase the contrast between iris and pupil? I'd leave the rest of it alone. The hair is beautiful and the lighting on the neck and shoulder is perfect.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Has everyone transferred their entires over to the Entry thread, because

This contest is now officially closed.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Nice to see Carrara represented in this one!