New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Tried to make the light smoother (and got rid of that shadow on the nose).

My eyes go directly to her face. I am not noticing any distracting shadows.

edited December 1969

emacek1 said:
    Strong distant light (100%) from behind and a spotlight (40%) to the side of the subject and just enough ambient light (10%) for skin tones to show. I added the surreal colors postwork for effect.

On my monitor where I work this render looked dark (but that monitor makes everyone's renders look darker than they really are).

On my home computer I can see the apprehension on her face as she is about to go into a dangerous place, possibly alone.

Nicely done.

edited December 1969

I scrapped the female elf, it just wasn't turning out right. i like this one a lot better.

Well done. You create really strong characters with subtle facial expressions.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited May 2014

I'm not sure if this is permitted or not, but I thought I would take a wack at post working my favorite entry so far...

(besides my own of course, hehe)

I really liked ewangrant1's render. But he was having a hard time on the fingernail gloss.
    I took it upon myself to gloss it with my drawing ability's. (air brushing) Among a few other things

Here is my post work Image.
    Also added the before & after pic. Side by side, so you can see for yourself what I did.

zShhhh_BA.jpg
    1854 x 1200 - 2M
    zShhhh2.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Angel on
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited May 2014

Trying for a female portrait this time. (This is fun!). I think my goal next month will be to learn to use uberenvironment properly.

Hel_4.jpg
    738 x 702 - 369K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
    edited May 2014

Not trying to spam the thread, honest. I really like this one. i think it's going to be one of my entries. But I can't seem to separate the character more from the trees in the background. I have a spotlight on them, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Igigi_5.jpg
    800 x 450 - 335K
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

@bearcub, maybe try some depth of field so the background gets just a bit out of focus.

• spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Hi All, here is just a beginning. any suggestions would be very welcome:coolsmile:

Frightened_Woman.jpg
    868 x 772 - 213K
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

here is another try

Fighting_Mad.jpg
    868 x 772 - 358K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your creating a NEW topic each try. To post to a thread it is just Post Reply.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you wanted to post it into the contest WIP thread then we can merge it for you

• ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

danwat801 said:
    I'm not sure if this is permitted or not, but I thought I would take a wack at post working my favorite entry so far...

(besides my own of course, hehe)

I really liked ewangrant1's render. But he was having a hard time on the fingernail gloss.
    I took it upon myself to gloss it with my drawing ability's. (air brushing) Among a few other things

Here is my post work Image.
    Also added the before & after pic. Side by side, so you can see for yourself what I did.

Definitely better, you have even removed an overall colour cast towards the green that I hadn't even noticed until I saw your side by side effort. :)

However, as I discovered I'd not saved that file I won't be entering it anyway. ;)

Post edited by ewangrant1 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the dof suggestion. I think that did it.

Igigi9.jpg
    800 x 450 - 269K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

What wings are these?

edited May 2014

TobiasG said:

What wings are these?

They are a texture from the Epic X-pansion for Epic Wings for Genesis. In addition to the ice wings the expansion has a whole bunch of color options as well as this really cool flame one.

Epic Wings

X-pansion

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

What wings are these?

They are a texture from the Epic X-pansion for Epic Wings for Genesis. In addition to the ice wings the expansion has a whole bunch of color options as well as this really cool flame one.

Epic Wings

X-pansion

Thanks! They're wishlisted now :)

edited May 2014

TobiasG said:

What wings are these?

Epic Wings

X-pansion

I bought these specifically for the flame wings but the ice wings look great.

And they fit Gen 2 figures as well.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

I bought these specifically for the flame wings but the ice wings look great.

And they fit Gen 2 figures as well.

I love the set. Epic wings alone is a well designed product, but it was the flame and ice textures that sold me on it. But I love Rawart's stuff.
    The M5 model in the same render is his Igigi morph and texture set with some blue in the diffuse.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

This is looking good, but I don't really see it as a portrait which is concetrating on the face of the figure, which was the base idea of this contest.

This contest is designed to help you focus on face, eyes, posing, expression etc, in order to produce a good portrait..

edited December 1969

chohole said:

This is looking good, but I don't really see it as a portrait which is concetrating on the face of the figure, which was the base idea of this contest.

This contest is designed to help you focus on face, eyes, posing, expression etc, in order to produce a good portrait..

no problem :) Thanks for letting me know.

edited May 2014

I was pretty much fed up with Sad Faces - ;) - so tackled something completely different. What do you think?

Angry

Angry3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 338K
    Angry.jpg
    600 x 800 - 339K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited May 2014

TobiasG said:
    I was pretty much fed up with Sad Faces - ;) - so tackled something completely different. What do you think?

Angry

I like the extreme tilted angle and the lens flares, but I don't really get an angry feel from it. More like someone posing for the camera at a rock concert. Maybe because I don't know what the hand poses mean.

The framing of the mouth and the eye with his fingers is well done.

Just a couple of points. The saliva looks a little thick, kinda like alien slime at the moment. Also, what is the black stuff along the left side of his face?

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Angry

Certainly different. And to me also more a Rock concert pose than Angry and I do know what both hand gestures mean. It is well done for what it is but I must confess I find it a bit... well revolting to be honest.
    edited December 1969

I wanted to try a tight facial shot. I am not planning on entering this in this month's contest so I hope it is okay to post here.

Brandon_17.jpg
    800 x 800 - 158K
    edited December 1969

I wanted to try a tight facial shot. I am not planning on entering this in this month's contest so I hope it is okay to post here.
    Kismet2012 I do not see why you will not play this month. You have shown some very promising renders so far. I hope you change your mind before the contest ends.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kismet2012 I do not see why you will not play this month. You have shown some very promising renders so far. I hope you change your mind before the contest ends.

I thought there was a 2 render entry limit? This would be my third. Unless I do not enter 1 of the others.

I am really enjoying this month's contest and am happily creating portraits.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

2 submissions to the Contest thread. You can post as many as you like in this WIP thread.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    2 submissions to the Contest thread. You can post as many as you like in this WIP thread.

Thank you Frank.

I don't think I've ever been able to come up with more than 2 submissions for these contests so I wasn't sure if it was okay to post more than 2 in the WIP thread.

I am having so much fun you may see more before the month is over.

edited December 1969

And at this time Kismet2012 I do not see one render entered yet. You can work on as many as you like and then pick two to enter. Please enter and just have fun.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Angry

I like the extreme tilted angle and the lens flares, but I don't really get an angry feel from it. More like someone posing for the camera at a rock concert. Maybe because I don't know what the hand poses mean.

The framing of the mouth and the eye with his fingers is well done.

Just a couple of points. The saliva looks a little thick, kinda like alien slime at the moment. Also, what is the black stuff along the left side of his face?

I'll try to thin out the saliva a bit, good point. The black stuff is his sideburns :) I think the smaller flares look better, do you agree?

Certainly different. And to me also more a Rock concert pose than Angry and I do know what both hand gestures mean. It is well done for what it is but I must confess I find it a bit... well revolting to be honest.

Well, I just picked two "bad guy" gestures, as you say, rock-concert-style. As far as I know, the spread fingers around the eyes are really just John Travolta/Pulp Fiction-style ;)
    Revolting, in this context, isn't a bad reaction I guess - if art is meant to evoke feelings, this would be a success! :)