New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

Comments

• soup-sammichsoup-sammich Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

I figure I've been lurking long enough... It's time to enter a contest!

This is my first time using geometric hair. Since I do the majority of my render work in Carrara I'm used to using the dynamic hair, although I'm not sure the dynamic hair will get me the look I'm after...

Title: "You OK?"
    Program Used: Carrara 8.5

YouOK.jpg
    600 x 800 - 124K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Title: The Lecture

Made some adjustments.

I like it, though the thingy in his hand (coin?) might need something to make it stand out a bit better. Also, it appears to be balanced on the tips of his fingers, not gripped, so you could adjust the positioning there a tad.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

pxhero said:
    I figure I've been lurking long enough... It's time to enter a contest!

This is my first time using geometric hair. Since I do the majority of my render work in Carrara I'm used to using the dynamic hair, although I'm not sure the dynamic hair will get me the look I'm after...

Title: "You OK?"
    Program Used: Carrara 8.5

Nice to see you join in. Looking good. I only suggest more lighting work. Right now it has a very over all lighting, try some different lighting in different areas to get your figure to stand out more.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited May 2014

TobiasG said:

Made some adjustments.

I like it, though the thingy in his hand (coin?) might need something to make it stand out a bit better. Also, it appears to be balanced on the tips of his fingers, not gripped, so you could adjust the positioning there a tad.Hands Tobias a pair, Here my friend you need them too, those are his nose glasses. The kind they just hang on the bridge of the nose. LOL.

EDIT: Opps!! Its a monocle I need my glasses too it seems. LOL.
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:

Made some adjustments.

I like it, though the thingy in his hand (coin?) might need something to make it stand out a bit better. Also, it appears to be balanced on the tips of his fingers, not gripped, so you could adjust the positioning there a tad.
    Hands Tobias a pair, Here my friend you need them too, those are his nose glasses. The kind they just hang on the bridge of the nose. LOL.

EDIT: Opps!! Its a monocle I need my glasses too it seems. LOL.

It is a monocle...but without a chain..which may be causing some confusion.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

@Sasje I am using Daz Studio 4.6

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    @Sasje I am using Daz Studio 4.6

okè another question, what kind of light do you use
    edited December 1969

That is a good question, i think i used poser lights found here http://forum.runtimedna.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=351 and there are more so i thought to experiment with them a bit more. That's why i said that it is early WIP. And i probably need to do more to get the figure look better.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you are using DS you really should use DS lights for the best effect.

edited December 1969

Ok, i will :)

edited December 1969

chohole is right try with light that is created for daz
    Try this, UberEnvironment and a Distant light and play arround with settings :)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2014

Hello to all......I am not at all sure about this but let me know......I messed around with the dials....Trish

elf_girl5.jpg
    950 x 950 - 875K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • soup-sammichsoup-sammich Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Nice to see you join in. Looking good. I only suggest more lighting work. Right now it has a very over all lighting, try some different lighting in different areas to get your figure to stand out more.

Thanks for the feedback, Jaderail! I changed the lights from one source to many, 3 for the figure, two for the background. I also tweaked the pose and framing a bit... Hopefully it's an improvement!

YouOKv1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 95K
    edited May 2014

This is a close up of a render I did but never posted anywhere.

Random_Portrait_6.jpg
    800 x 640 - 264K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Just an Example

Used 2 light source
    - Advanced Ambient Light
    - Advanced Spotlight
    Done in Daz Studio 4.6 pro
    Photoshop for the text and the contrast a little bit

woman_bird_bew.jpg
    1066 x 800 - 251K
    edited December 1969

Hello to all......I am not at all sure about this but let me know......I messed around with the dials....TrishVery dreamy look on the face. I might suggest a deeper colored background to have the figure stand out a bit more.
    pxhero said:
    Thanks for the feedback, Jaderail! I changed the lights from one source to many, 3 for the figure, two for the background. I also tweaked the pose and framing a bit... Hopefully it's an improvement!
    To my eyes yes this is a improvement in lighting, I want to giggle over the expression now...
    This is a close up of a render I did but never posted anywhere.I hate to say this but it needs lighting work. I see this in many renders. The User wish's to show off the face and then uses lighting that does a full face in light. In many cases IMHO the shadowing on the face, those deeper lines, angles of the cheeks and brows that the shadows bring out are what a good face shot needs. It shows off the shape of the face so much better. This applies in my view to all portrait images folks. Not just this one.
  • ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Pretty much finished, but I would have preferred a little glossiness on the visible nail polish.

zShhhh.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 423K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

Looks really good. Why don't you just add the glossiness to the nails?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hello to all......I am not at all sure about this but let me know......I messed around with the dials....TrishVery dreamy look on the face. I might suggest a deeper colored background to have the figure stand out a bit more.
    pxhero said:
    To my eyes yes this is a improvement in lighting, I want to giggle over the expression now...
    This is a close up of a render I did but never posted anywhere.
    I hate to say this but it needs lighting work. I see this in many renders. The User wish's to show off the face and then uses lighting that does a full face in light. In many cases IMHO the shadowing on the face, those deeper lines, angles of the cheeks and brows that the shadows bring out are what a good face shot needs. It shows off the shape of the face so much better. This applies in my view to all portrait images folks. Not just this one.

If you did not say anything how would we know what to improve? Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am happy to have provided an example of what not to do. :)

I find myself, more often than I like, looking at an image and it isn't quite right but I can never seem to put my finger on the problem. Then some brilliant person comes along, describes the problem and it then seems so obvious I cannot believe I missed it. But this is how I learn.

edited December 1969

pxhero said:
    Jaderail said:

I like the change in her pose.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Post-processing you mean?

• DesignemDesignem Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

I used V6 FWEJ Sayuri as a base, then modified the eyes and nose a bit. I then added V4 Elite Maya skin texture through the V4 to G2F skins converter. The eyes are Project Eyeris and the hair is Wild Orchid Hair. Kunoichi is the outfit.

I used a distant light(intensity 40) and also a spotlight( intensity 20) facing in the same direction from 45 degrees above and 45 degrees right of center of the characters face to mimic sunlight then I added an ambient light (intensity 60) for the rest of the scene.

The camera is 100mm is minimize distortion and blurred the background.

v6_800.jpg
    800 x 534 - 299K
    edited December 1969

emacek1 said:
    I used V6 FWEJ Sayuri as a base, then modified the eyes and nose a bit. I then added V4 Elite Maya skin texture through the V4 to G2F skins converter. The eyes are Project Eyeris and the hair is Wild Orchid Hair. Kunoichi is the outfit.

I used a distant light(intensity 40) and also a spotlight( intensity 20) facing in the same direction from 45 degrees above and 45 degrees right of center of the characters face to mimic sunlight then I added an ambient light (intensity 60) for the rest of the scene.

Gorgeous, but you need to adjust the hair away from her face. The shadows are stopping and restarting, I assume because part of the hair map is actually in the cheek?

edited May 2014

Frank0314 said:

Post-processing you mean?Surfaces tab on the Figures Finger nails and a new Render. The settings can be adjusted.

EDIT To add the lighting may need adjusting to show a better gloss but experiment with the Gloss setting and Strength in combo with the Specular setting and strength.

edited December 1969

emacek1 said:

Open the Hair in the Parameters tab, use the mini menu for Parameters and with Show Hidden turned on, Look for morphs added to the hair from the eyes or eyelashes, ZERO those hidden morphs. That will end the hair distortion. Re Render.
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited May 2014

I modified the mouth a bit, and I think I prefer this version. An asymmetrical pose doesn't give the look I want, though. I also worked on the hair, mainly to get rid of an annoying shadow on the nose (which is still there), but ended up with this dark streak on the head. I'm tempted to just paint over it in postwork.

Following jaderail's suggestion, I tried various ways to put a stronger contrast on the face light/shadow-wise, but I find this difficult, specifically in this render. The key light comes from the upper right, which causes the hair to shadow the left (right, from our pov) part of the face. So I'd really have to add a negative light to this shadowed side of the face, but this messes with the hair, which gets weird darkness effects this way. If I put a dark light at the currently lighter side of the face, things get too dark, and are out of sync with the rest of the lighting. To be honest, the effect I'm going for is rather trivial to achieve in postwork.

For no particular reason at all, I played around with various water and rain effects on the render, but these will need more work. They're fun, though.

Totally unrelated: I hate this spell checker.

SadFace.jpg
    800 x 480 - 234K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

If you did not say anything how would we know what to improve? Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am happy to have provided an example of what not to do. :)
    I never said it was not what to do. I just suggested a change. Your far better than you give your self credit for, and I'm one of those that teach because they can not do. I never once see the flaws in my own work and believe you me I make a lot of mistakes.
    edited May 2014

TobiasG said:
    I modified the mouth a bit, and I think I prefer this version. An asymmetrical pose doesn't give the look I want, though. I also worked on the hair, mainly to get rid of an annoying shadow on the nose (which is still there), but ended up with this dark streak on the head. I'm tempted to just paint over it in postwork..
    it is your rim light over the left shoulder and that one bit of fly away hair standing so far up from the rest of the head. If not the Rim light one very close to it. The nose thing...
  • DesignemDesignem Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

emacek1 said:

Gorgeous, but you need to adjust the hair away from her face. The shadows are stopping and restarting, I assume because part of the hair map is actually in the cheek?

Working on a new render. I couldn't modify the hair without it looking distorted so I'm switching to new hair made for G2F. A lot less postwork involved! While I was at it I tweaked the eyes as well.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I never said it was not what to do. I just suggested a change. Your far better than you give your self credit for, and I'm one of those that teach because they can not do. I never once see the flaws in my own work and believe you me I make a lot of mistakes.

My response was poorly worded.

I appreciate any suggestions, different viewpoints, etc. others are willing to offer.

I have gotten better, and it is because others are willing to teach, suggest, critique and share their little tips & tricks.