New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    If you did not say anything how would we know what to improve? Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am happy to have provided an example of what not to do. :)
    I never said it was not what to do. I just suggested a change. Your far better than you give your self credit for, and I'm one of those that teach because they can not do. I never once see the flaws in my own work and believe you me I make a lot of mistakes.

My response was poorly worded.

I appreciate any suggestions, different viewpoints, etc. others are willing to offer.

I have gotten better, and it is because others are willing to teach, suggest, critique and share their little tips & tricks.I'm just not one who likes it when others get down on themselves for no reason at all. I was once a base beginner setting here reading these contest threads. I was even to chicken to try in the contest. I waited until I learned stuff to ever post. I say Bravo to each and everyone here that has the backbone to jump in here and try. Ask Chohole. I do not think I ever once tried the New User contest.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2014

ok...Thank you for the suggestion Jaderail.....this time I was playing with brushes and made this background.....I kinda think she is too dark around the neck though....??? oh heck I don't know its a lot easier when I just fool around and not try so hard....LOL Trish

47.jpg
    950 x 950 - 597K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:
    If you did not say anything how would we know what to improve? Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am happy to have provided an example of what not to do. :) I never said it was not what to do. I just suggested a change. Your far better than you give your self credit for, and I'm one of those that teach because they can not do. I never once see the flaws in my own work and believe you me I make a lot of mistakes.

My response was poorly worded.

I appreciate any suggestions, different viewpoints, etc. others are willing to offer.

I have gotten better, and it is because others are willing to teach, suggest, critique and share their little tips & tricks.

I'm just not one who likes it when others get down on themselves for no reason at all. I was once a base beginner setting here reading these contest threads. I was even to chicken to try in the contest. I waited until I learned stuff to ever post. I say Bravo to each and everyone here that has the backbone to jump in here and try. Ask Chohole. I do not think I ever once tried the New User contest.

I hear you Jaderail.

ok...Thank you for the suggestion Jaderail.....this time I was playing with brushes and made this background.....I kinda think she is too dark around the neck though....??? oh heck I don't know its a lot easier when I just fool around and not try so hard....LOL Trish

I agree Trish that they seem to work better when I do not try so hard.

Well done with the brushes. That is another thing to add to the list of stuff to learn.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2014

Kismet: Thank you I am fooling around with Ron's brushes ...I really like them....if I could just figure out how to work PS2 better...like make it undo more times.....LOL

Post edited by Trish on
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Here's another one I started. Playing with the height of the background and the ambient for the eyes.

Portrait_Silver_4.jpg
    738 x 702 - 241K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Kismet: Thank you I am fooling around with Ron's brushes ...I really like them....if I could just figure out how to work PS2 better...like make it undo more times.....LOL

If you're using a Mac, try ctrl+apple+z. This allows about a dozen or so undos. No idea what the key combo is in Windows :)

edited December 1969

Another angle, during the morning smoothie... Hm.

Sad_Face2.jpg
    800 x 480 - 263K
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

You have definitely created a look of despondency in her. I just want to go to her and give her a big hug.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

You have definitely created a look of despondency in her. I just want to go to her and give her a big hug.

Thank you very much! Now I just need to get the lighting to a point where I like it. :)

edited December 1969

At least on my iphone, the background is rather dark, while the whole character is lighted evenly. You could try to make the lighting, how can I put it, more diverse: illuminate perhaps a part of the backdrop, shadow some part of the figure. This would possibly tie fore- and background together more strongly. Just a thought, of course - I already like it, but that might make it more interesting visually :)

edited December 1969

This is a close up of a render I did but never posted anywhere.

Two points: the light comes from above and behind. You could make that impact stronger by putting a shadow on the lower half of the face (or possibly use a Gobo to add sail/ship-shadows).
    A minor quibble: the moon appears to be not quite circular. Maybe the backdrop got squeezed or stretched just a tad in one dimension? I get that a lot, though with a clouds-only backdrop, it matters less.

edited May 2014

TobiasG said:
    This is a close up of a render I did but never posted anywhere.

Two points: the light comes from above and behind. You could make that impact stronger by putting a shadow on the lower half of the face (or possibly use a Gobo to add sail/ship-shadows).
    A minor quibble: the moon appears to be not quite circular. Maybe the backdrop got squeezed or stretched just a tad in one dimension? I get that a lot, though with a clouds-only backdrop, it matters less.

I hadn't consciously noticed but my eye does keep going to the moon when I am working on this...perhaps that is why?

I hadn't thought to use Gobo lights. I will try that tonight when I get home.

Thanks Tobias.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited May 2014

Thats the image I´m working on. There are few things I have to tweak. Any comments would be nice.

Title: miss U
    Software: DAZ Studio > Luxus > Luxrender > Gimp

Edit: Found some better settings in Luxrender, maybe the B/W-Version isn´t the way to go. :red:

missU_WIP3.jpg
    554 x 800 - 175K
    missU_WIP2.jpg
    554 x 800 - 412K
    Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 184
    edited May 2014

danwat801 said:
    This is my 1st year anniversary render. May 5th 2013 was the day I made my first render ever.
    To celibrate my first year of being a 3D artist. This is my submission.
    Her name is Sammy, shes from South Carolina and shes got the cutest southern accent.

Happy anniversary! Very nice composition!

MOVED to WIP thread. Please do not post Comments in the Entry Thread.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • DesignemDesignem Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Final render after fixes to the hair and eyes. I added more reflection to the eye reflection surface and changed the hair to Riva Updo. I also cropped the image to show more detail of "her" features.

V6_DAZ_portrait.jpg
    800 x 501 - 292K
    edited December 1969

Hello to all......I am not at all sure about this but let me know......I messed around with the dials....Trish

Beautiful render.

...since you're asking for advice... I would either decrease the shadow softness for more shadow or change to ray-traced light (if it isn't). I'm thinking this because the hands in front add to the pose but they seem to get lost in the 3D space due to their tonal likeness to the rest of the body. Adding more contrast would really bring out the depth of the image.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,167
    edited December 1969

Found this contest early this morning and knocked a (not-so) quick render out to give a try.

may2014wip1.jpg
    450 x 600 - 199K
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    Found this contest early this morning and knocked a (not-so) quick render out to give a try.

I think you have to much Ambient fill light for your Up light to really work well here. The up light will give a nice example of the face if the fill light was not so high. Just my two cents...
    edited December 1969

emacek1 said:
    Final render after fixes to the hair and eyes. I added more reflection to the eye reflection surface and changed the hair to Riva Updo. I also cropped the image to show more detail of "her" features.

Very nice.

• bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great work everybody.
    I have been working on this for a couple of days now.

Untitled-1.jpg
    672 x 800 - 356K
    edited December 1969

emacek1 said:
    Wow, this looks almost like a fully new render. I had no info to offer and never noticed it was a redo.
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,167
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    3ch0_419 said:

I think you have to much Ambient fill light for your Up light to really work well here. The up light will give a nice example of the face if the fill light was not so high. Just my two cents...

Thanks for the feedback Jaderail. It was about 3 in the morning where I'm at when I rendered the scene. I'll see about tweaking the lights in the morning maybe before I go to work if I have time. If not then, then maybe after I get home.

edited December 1969

Tried to make the light smoother (and got rid of that shadow on the nose).

Sad_Face3.jpg
    800 x 480 - 205K
    edited December 1969

Strong distant light (100%) from behind and a spotlight (40%) to the side of the subject and just enough ambient light (10%) for skin tones to show. I added the surreal colors postwork for effect.

v6_cop_II_daz.jpg
    800 x 533 - 157K
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

@ 3ch0_419 The pose looks uncomfortable and not natural and I could place the reason for this, but after a few minutes I spotted something that should make it look more natural. Switch the position of the hands on the hilt of the sword and everyting else should flow together better.

edited May 2014

I have 2 different light versions.

The first is using one AoA Ambient Light ( intensity set at 25% ), and one AoA Distant Light (intensity set at 50% ).

The 2nd is using the same AoA Ambient Light (intensity set at 30% ) and one AoA Spot Light with gobo caustics applied ( intensity set at 100% ).

I also changed the background.

My personal preference is for the 1st using 1 AoA Ambient and Distant Light.

And comments and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Random_Render_24.jpg
    800 x 640 - 232K
    Random_Portrait_26.jpg
    800 x 640 - 249K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

I have 2 different light versions.

The first is using one AoA Ambient Light ( intensity set at 25% ), and one AoA Distant Light (intensity set at 50% ).

The 2nd is using the same AoA Ambient Light (intensity set at 30% ) and one AoA Spot Light with gobo caustics applied ( intensity set at 100% ).

I also changed the background.

My personal preference is for the 1st using 1 AoA Ambient and Distant Light.

And comments and/or suggestions are appreciated.

I agree. The first one is pretty cool.

edited May 2014

I scrapped the female elf, it just wasn't turning out right. i like this one a lot better.

Elias_Blue.jpg
    738 x 702 - 195K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
    edited December 1969

I scrapped the female elf, it just wasn't turning out right. i like this one a lot better.

You will not get any arguments from me. ;-)

Really nice image.

edited December 1969

bobfisher said:
    Great work everybody.
    I have been working on this for a couple of days now.

She looks like she knows a secret she is dying to tell someone.