New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I am not planning on entering this in this month's contest

Whyever not? Random_Portrait_26.jp is pretty cool, for instance!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well yes, and the spread fingers around the Eye in some places means one of two things, I'm eyeing you or I'm giving you the Evil eye. Here in your render with the other Horn symbol it was the way I read it, Evil eye. Combined very Rock Star like.

edited December 1969

I'll re-title :)

• spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited May 2014

sorry Chohole and Jaderail, I meant to post it to the May wip thread. If you could merge it there I would appreciate it. Thanx so much!!!!

Fighting_Mad.jpg
    868 x 772 - 358K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    I am not planning on entering this in this month's contest

Whyever not? Random_Portrait_26.jp is pretty cool, for instance!

Thanks Tobias.

Lets see how many more I make then I'll decide which one to enter. ;-)

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited May 2014

Same here! This became really fun! It isn´t half of the month, will see how many images I have at the end to choose from. :)

BeautifulGirl.jpg
    800 x 500 - 274K
    PrettyGirl.jpg
    800 x 500 - 335K
    BadGirl.jpg
    800 x 500 - 318K
    Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Every picture tells a story, but let me tell you this one.

Seasoned soldier, TRZ-4670F-Johansson, 27 months into her third 3 year deep space stint is laughing at BXR-8801-Green. Green is a rookie, still in month 1 of 24, engineers get it easy. He's busy taking selfies to remember this time and also to send back home.

Big shout out to Sheldon24 who uploaded the Tyrese skin texture for M4 over at ShareCG.

Portrait-of-Tyrese.jpg
    791 x 1024 - 118K
  • soup-sammichsoup-sammich Posts: 31
    edited May 2014

Ok, I've tweaked a couple more things with the image, added DOF brought the camera closer, and adjusted the eyes so that they're looking into the camera. I'm not sure about the eyes looking at the viewer, though. Before, with the eyes looking behind the camera it gave me the feeling that she was asking someone else if they were ok. Not sure if I want that someone else to be the viewer or not... thoughts?

YouOKv2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 101K
    Post edited by soup-sammich on
    edited December 1969

Okay, I agree the eyes worked better the other way. Now with your new lighting I think it is the texture on the book case that looks off. Its too busy for the image, the color variations (grain from dark to light in big waves) pulls the viewers eyes off your figure. Here you want the viewer to focus on the figure and not get distracted by the background.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay, I agree the eyes worked better the other way. Now with your new lighting I think it is the texture on the book case that looks off. Its too busy for the image, the color variations (grain from dark to light in big waves) pulls the viewers eyes off your figure. Here you want the viewer to focus on the figure and not get distracted by the background.

Thanks for the feedback, Jaderail! I've been a little worried about the texture on the bookcase. When it comes to the wood grain shaders in Carrara I'm never very pleased with the overall scale they present (I'm probably doing something wrong). I'll see what I can do to shrink them down and maybe tweak the lighting down a bit on the case itself. I may just have to re-map the bookcase model, pick a different shader for it, or use a different background... hmmm... decisions, decisions...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

This is the first time I've had a go at one of these! :)

"Selfie"
    Rendered in Carrara 8.5.

Selfie-wip.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 54K
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    This is the first time I've had a go at one of these! :)

"Selfie"
    Rendered in Carrara 8.5.

Looks good except for the armpit/side of breast area. Is that poke through? Little white spots?

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, Kismet :)

No, I think that's a problem with the shader picking up reflection from somewhere. If you look at the promo images http://www.daz3d.com/onyx-for-genesis-female it looks like the dress/bodice has somehow got the shiny black texture from the handbag or boots. It needs tinkering with anyhow.

There's also a nasty shadow across her face from a misplaced fill light that I need to do something about.

edited December 1969

All right, I've changed the mapping and shader on the book case and restored the eyes as closely to their original positions as I could. Sadly, I'll have to do it all over again due to a power outage interrupting my work. Thankfully, I was able to save the fruits of my labor in .jpg form right before the lights went out. I'm sure it's been said before, but I'll say it again, "Save early, save often."

YouOKv3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 91K
    edited December 1969

pxhero said:
    All right, I've changed the mapping and shader on the book case and restored the eyes as closely to their original positions as I could. Sadly, I'll have to do it all over again due to a power outage interrupting my work. Thankfully, I was able to save the fruits of my labor in .jpg form right before the lights went out. I'm sure it's been said before, but I'll say it again, "Save early, save often."

In my view this is much better. The figure has became the main focus fully now. Well done.
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Thanks for the comments, Kismet :)

No, I think that's a problem with the shader picking up reflection from somewhere. If you look at the promo images http://www.daz3d.com/onyx-for-genesis-female it looks like the dress/bodice has somehow got the shiny black texture from the handbag or boots. It needs tinkering with anyhow.

There's also a nasty shadow across her face from a misplaced fill light that I need to do something about.

To my eyes it simply looked more like some of the lace under clothing shown from that angle.
  • SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Rendered in Daz Studio 4.6

Not if I like her expression or it needs to be adjusted more? What do you think?

Amy

may01.jpg
    1000 x 1092 - 533K
    edited December 1969

A cardboard texture on the sign might be worth a try.

• MadBirdCZMadBirdCZ Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Not really submitting my creations to the contest but the topic of the contest inspired me to create the following two images. Feedback is welcome :)

DAZ Studio 4.6 for scene setup, Octane Plugin for DAZ for material setup and rendering. No post works (except for adding the signature).

Poses and expressions by me :)

party02a.jpg
    810 x 1080 - 289K
    Jessie01a.jpg
    810 x 1080 - 333K
    edited December 1969

Here's an updated version.

- Fixed issues with shaders
    - removed stray fill light
    - Adjusted composition:
    . moved camera to get rid of edge of building poking out of her hair
    . pushed in tighter on face

Selfie-wip3s.jpg
    600 x 800 - 285K
    edited December 1969

Updated the sign. What do you think?

Amy

may02.jpg
    1000 x 1092 - 593K
    edited December 1969

Much better! :)

edited December 1969

Updated the sign. What do you think?

Amy

I have to agree, the Sign looks much better now. I never once thought to go cardboard but that really makes a difference.
  • Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

Here's one I am working on. I decided to use Supergirl, since I am working on a digital comic about her anyway... and I really like the figure model I chose for her. Background should probably be changed for planets and stars or something... but for now I just posed her in front of a portraiture backdrop.

SupergirlPortraitx600.jpg
    424 x 600 - 241K
    edited December 1969

@Steven - I like her pose and expression, but I agree the background should be changed, the color is not going well with her outfit.

What do you think of the updated font on the sign? I also got rid of her earrings, I did not like the angle they were at.

Amy

may03.jpg
    1000 x 1092 - 598K
    edited December 1969

What do you think of the updated font on the sign? I also got rid of her earrings, I did not like the angle they were at.

Amy

I think this font is better, it's more believable.

The only way I could think of to improve the sign further would be to tackle the letters in Photoshop or something to make them less opaque, so that more of the cardboard texture shows through. But that's really a detail, and definitely not a real concern.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Amy

I think this font is better, it's more believable.

The only way I could think of to improve the sign further would be to tackle the letters in Photoshop or something to make them less opaque, so that more of the cardboard texture shows through. But that's really a detail, and definitely not a real concern.

I agree with Tobias. This font looks more like hand writing. The other font was a little too perfect.

edited December 1969

Worked on the spittle (it's weird to type that sentence...), and added some more plaque. I realize that from a strictly realistic pov, it's unlikely that anyone would salivate that much, but it's so him :)

Angry4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 338K
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Worked on the spittle (it's weird to type that sentence...), and added some more plaque. I realize that from a strictly realistic pov, it's unlikely that anyone would salivate that much, but it's so him :)

Some people do create more saliva than others...especially when they are worked up...and he is definitely worked up. :-)

I noticed something when I enlarged the image. The fingernail on the ring finger of his left hand has some cracks along the surface that does not appear to be present on the other nails. Is this on purpose?

edited December 1969

Yep. I thought I'd add some damage. You think it's overdone?

(and thanks for looking!)