New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

New User's Contest - May 2014

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Portrait render contest"

This contest is designed to help you focus on face, eyes, posing, expression etc, in order to produce a good portrait..

Then next month we will have a follow up contest to take your finalized image of the person or character and experiment with the lighting in different ways etc. For this 2nd contest you can either use the image you have done for this month, or do a different one.

Intent: Bringing a portrait to life

A good portrait will capture a character's personality. A Straight on facial study with a cheesy grin and harsh lightning will not look good, so we will be concentrating on the posing and expression, how the eyes affect a good portrait and other similar points.

Then, as I said, next month we can concentrate on the best way to light the character to get the best effect.

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread :Contest Rules

Closing Date: May 31st 2014

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

That's an interesting subject! By portrait, do you mean exclusively a focus on the face, or are half or full figures also acceptable (assuming the focus is still on expression, pose amd the character of the figure)?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Head or head and shoulders would be best, as then we can concentrate on the face, expression, eyes etc, and everyone will be approaching the subject from the same viewpoint

edited December 1969

Ah, OK. Thanks!

edited December 1969

I don't pretend to be the best at portrait art, but these 2 images do show the difference a change of camera position can make.

NA_female_again_5a.jpg
    725 x 950 - 434K
    NA_female_again_4a.jpg
    725 x 950 - 408K
    edited December 1969

Alright, here's a first try then: Tired

The hair needs work. I'm not sure why it shows these weird strands - is there a parameter I need to adjust, or is this something I can get rid of with morphs?
    DoF might be stronger, it's pretty light right now.

As to expression, I tried to push out the lower lip, but that makes her pout too strongly. She's supposed to be tired, maybe doubtful and burned out a bit. I worked on the eyes, and the mouth (though that's not too obvious, I admit). What do you think?

Sad_Ninja_Portrait.jpg
    800 x 480 - 269K
    edited May 2014

This is where it is going to become a bit difficult. I like to make the mouth assymetric on the expression, so will use right and left dials on the mouth expression dials, but I use Poser not DS and also use Gen 4 characters, not genesis, so I am not certain what dials or sliders you have to do this. you have to do this . I also used the eye crease dial to make her eyes look a bit pensive.

I will see if I can find someone who can help better in DS

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I know where to do this - I'll try it out.

(To be honest, when I saw this month's theme, I made a full figure render this morning - this here is really a closeup :) )

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The expressions and morphs available for use in this contest will depend greatly on the users choice of figure. Some things I take for granted on the Generation 4 figures the new Genesis 2 Figures just do not have yet. So keep your figure in mind and maybe check it will do what you wish for the contest before you, the User, spend a lot of time setting things up.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited May 2014

Title: The Lecture

I used Genesis for this character. I did so because, as Jaderail pointed out, there are more morphs for Genesis than G2F or G2M.

Edit: Sorry about that. It helps if I attached the render. :red:

The_Lecture_1.jpg
    546 x 546 - 170K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Alright, here's a first try then: Tired

The hair needs work. I'm not sure why it shows these weird strands - is there a parameter I need to adjust, or is this something I can get rid of with morphs?
    DoF might be stronger, it's pretty light right now.

As to expression, I tried to push out the lower lip, but that makes her pout too strongly. She's supposed to be tired, maybe doubtful and burned out a bit. I worked on the eyes, and the mouth (though that's not too obvious, I admit). What do you think?

Nice start Tobias. I love the full version too.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited May 2014

Okay, here's my first attempt.

Portrait2.jpg
    772 x 702 - 263K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
    edited May 2014

I know that fellow. Think I avoided him in a dark alley once. The Price on my head is not enough to cost him his life.

This has been a Random Ramble from your friendly resident Drow. You may now return to your normal forum functions...
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I know that fellow. Think I avoided him in a dark alley once. The Price on my head is not enough to cost him his life.

This has been a Random Ramble from your friendly resident Drow. You may now return to your normal forum functions...

LOL. He's a character I use as inspiration for a novel I'm writing.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited May 2014

I have so many to choose from :(
    This is kind of my specialty... I already have like 15 portrait renders.

Post edited by Angel on
  • AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited December 1969

You know what? On second thought I'll make a brand new one. To celebrate the one year anniversary of being a 3D hobbyist. May 5th 2013 was the first day I made my first render ever... That's tomorrow... O.O

edited December 1969

I used Genesis for this character. I did so because, as Jaderail pointed out, there are more morphs for Genesis than G2F or G2M.

Did you forget to attach your render? ;)

edited December 1969

LOL!! This thread is already so much fun. I'm looking forward to the rest of the month. I even expected the missing render to pop up by now.
    Love the fun folks, Happy Anny Vers to you know who. And I so gotta read this book when you publish...
    Think that covers it all...

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Did you forget to attach your render? ;)

Yep. :red:

Original post has been updated.

edited December 1969

I love the way the eyes are looking straight at the viewer and engaging yours

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I love the way the eyes are looking straight at the viewer and engaging yours I also notice that the rule of Thirds was used very well to also get the LOOK to capture the Viewer. I like the render, but was not gonna comment first as I'm a known Drow freak. It is a rather handsome Drow now that I feel others have looked and commented before me.
    edited May 2014

Jaderail said:
    chohole said:
    I love the way the eyes are looking straight at the viewer and engaging yours
    I also notice that the rule of Thirds was used very well to also get the LOOK to capture the Viewer. I like the render, but was not gonna comment first as I'm a known Drow freak. It is a rather handsome Drow now that I feel others have looked and commented before me.

I agree and will add I would not want to get on his bad side...or be a witness to a "discussion" between him and Jaderail.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited May 2014

Here is something that should be called Forest of Mystery and is still very early and rough WIP. My idea was to build a medieval small village and character for it that is probably a hunter. I used Genesis 1 figure and my plan was to try to improve it as much as i can. Picture was inspired by one older Poser work that i can't find now and that showed older long haired elf with a bow that is about to go trough a glowing magical portal. I used forest portal prop and background forest picture and will try to work more on it soon. Btw Drow elf looks great :)

Forest_of_Mystery.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 854K
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Here is something that should be called Forest of Mystery and is still very early and rough WIP. My idea was to build a medieval small village and character for it that is probably a hunter. I used Genesis 1 figure and my plan was to try to improve it as much as i can. Picture was inspired by one older Poser work that i can't find now and that showed older long haired elf with a bow that is about to go trough a glowing magical portal. I used forest portal prop and background forest picture and will try to work more on it soon. Btw Drow elf looks great :)

Do you use Poser or Daz

• krickerdkrickerd Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Having some fun with the Shadowcaster outfit, and Park High. I think I'm pretty happy with the composition and even the DOF. Do you have any suggestions about pose or surfaces? I'm not worried about the lighting...yet. I'm debating whether to wait until next month to really detail out the lighting. I'm confident I could come up with something really striking for that. I'm pretty good with high contrast images Divine Request

I also need a title.

Heroine_Test_1.jpg
    1100 x 733 - 103K
    edited December 1969

Made some adjustments.

The_Lecture_3.jpg
    546 x 546 - 172K
    edited December 1969

Made some adjustments.

I like this one better. Have you considered raising the character or lowering the backdrop so that the biggest lines in the backdrop are leading to the characters eyes and face?

edited December 1969

krickerd said:
    Having some fun with the Shadowcaster outfit,

I also need a title.

I like the eyes. You can just see that she is looking out for something. As for a title, maybe something based around whatever it is she's hunting?

edited December 1969

danwat801 said:
    You know what? On second thought I'll make a brand new one. To celebrate the one year anniversary of being a 3D hobbyist. May 5th 2013 was the first day I made my first render ever... That's tomorrow... O.O

Congratulations! The hard work shows.

edited May 2014

Thanks so much for the comments on my Drow. You made my day at work today.

Post edited by SGCBearcub on
    edited May 2014

Made some adjustments.

I like this one better. Have you considered raising the character or lowering the backdrop so that the biggest lines in the backdrop are leading to the characters eyes and face?

Thank you SGCBearcub. I keep forgetting about that aspect of composition.

Something about the background was bugging me but I doubt I would have figured it out on my own.