UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• mcorr said:

I'm currently testing TAO with Ultra Scenery and it works ok - but, appel trees are only for distance renders, I had one branch in the foreground and the apples are not round. So I tried subdivision for the tree (the source tree), the apples are round then but the branches are not connected anymore, so this or that, I have to do a lot of correction postwork. Also a mixture between apple trees and the other tree species is not available, only one or the other.

In addition the terrain loads with 3DL shader (and only the diffuse texture), I think this can be done better. And maybe it would be a good idea to at least include one normal res or even high-res (tree) plant as a single prop in the sets, it so would improve the options for image composition IMO.

Agreed. The apples are unfortunately kind of low rez creations. I am also getting ground apples and tree apples that are a different size. Not kwel.

I don't have a big problem with it actually, in (enough) distance it's absolutely ok and not that obvious. But a little bit too close to the camera and you can't oversee it anymore, I wouldn't have said anything, but subdivision for the trees doesn't help in this case cause the branches get detached then and that looks even more distracting than the low-res apples - which intersecting a lot in addition. surprise

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,940
    edited August 2020

From the promo images, I thought Tangy Apple Orchard addon was giving us a new lighter colored dirt track, more like beach sand. That was one thing that attracted me to the product. But it turns out that in fact, the two new track features just use the same dirt track textures from the original UltraScenery. It only looks lighter currently, because of the error in applying the correct terrain shader and materials. Once that is corrected (I edited the ecology json file myself to correct the typo), it is just the same dirt track texture.

So here is a comparison of the Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow with Tangy Apple Orchard 07 before and after the json typo referencing the mat file was fixed.

USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Tangy Apple Orchard 07.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Tangy Apple Orchard 07 using real mat file with TAO address.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 873
    edited August 2020
    barbult said:

From the promo images, I thought Tangy Apple Orchard addon was giving us a new lighter colored dirt track, more like beach sand. That was one thing that attracted me to the product. But it turns out that in fact, the two new track features just use the same dirt track textures from the original UltraScenery. It only looks lighter currently, because of the error in applying the correct terrain shader and materials. Once that is corrected (I edited the ecology json file myself to correct the typo), it is just the same dirt track texture.

So here is a comparison of the Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow with Tangy Apple Orchard 07 before and after the json typo referencing the mat file was fixed.

My way was different, but I can confirm that the terrain is not ok in US TAO, I saved the US scene with TAO, edited with the script and used Oaks, voila, the same terrain, but properly textured, so I merged the two scenes and took the terrain from the second and the plants from the first scene. Now I only need to postwork all the apples that are too close to the camera... laugh

Post edited by jepegraphics on
    barbult said:

My way was different, but I can confirm that the terrain is not ok in US TAO, I saved the US scene with TAO, edited with the script and used Oaks, voila, the same terrain, but properly textured, so I merged the two scenes and took the terrain from the second and the plants from the first scene. Now I only need to postwork all the apples that are too close to the camera... laugh

Whatever works! I'm glad you found a success path. 

• barbult said:

If USC Tangy Apple Orchard gets an update, I'd like to see the ecology names get fixed so that they show up properly in the USC interface. Right now, all of them show up as Tangy Apple Orchard 0, with the rest of the name cut off. They all appear to have the same name.The interface window can't be enlarged, so horizontal scrolling is required to read the names. Maybe they could be called Apple Orchard or Tangy Apple or Tangy Orchard, or TAO - anything that fits within the allowed space would be great.

I will probably make the next version of UltraScenery have a slightly wider dialog to fit more stuff in and allow longer names.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I will probably make the next version of UltraScenery have a slightly wider dialog to fit more stuff in and allow longer names.

Ooo. If I may suggest another minor tweek:

Lost track of how many times, bleary-eyed & in the wee hours, I clicked where the OK button is generally on most other UI's and ...

USC UI Mod.jpg
    742 x 551 - 83K
    edited August 2020

I realize now that I don't need a new product to get a lighter colored path. I can just use different texture files in the Surfaces for Roadbase Layer and Roadsurface Layer. I used sand textures from Mec4D PBS Shaders vol.2 and saved the result as a Materials preset targeting only those two sections of the terrain shader. Now I can apply that preset to any UltraScene I create right before rendering. Here is what it looks like on a couple different features and ecologies. I like it. Now I'm enthused to make more, like maybe mud.

USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Tangy Apple Orchard 07 typo fixed and Mec4D sand.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Screenshot 2020-08-05 19.32.04.png
    490 x 641 - 31K
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 Mec4D sand.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 1 Mossy Hollow 3 Mec4D sand.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    barbult said:

If USC Tangy Apple Orchard gets an update, I'd like to see the ecology names get fixed so that they show up properly in the USC interface. Right now, all of them show up as Tangy Apple Orchard 0, with the rest of the name cut off. They all appear to have the same name.The interface window can't be enlarged, so horizontal scrolling is required to read the names. Maybe they could be called Apple Orchard or Tangy Apple or Tangy Orchard, or TAO - anything that fits within the allowed space would be great.

Words like "next version" and "more stuff" are exciting to hear. It will be nice to have the longer names visible. Are you planning any kind of Feature and Ecology organization scheme? There are a lot of choices all in one big list right now.

• Here's the result from my US-TOA experimenting - original is 9.4K x 4K, in this sized-down to 2K image postwork is not even noticable on all the apples and branches on the right tree. I also left some oaks in from the merge of the two scenes. laugh

Apples-02-2K.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 960K
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    barbult said:

I realize now that I don't need a new product to get a lighter colored path. I can just use different texture files in the Surfaces for Roadbase Layer and Roadsurface Layer. I used sand textures from Mec4D PBS Shaders vol.2 and saved the result as a Materials preset targeting only those two sections of the terrain shader. Now I can apply that preset to any UltraScene I create right before rendering. Here is what it looks like on a couple different features and ecologies. I like it. Now I'm enthused to make more, like maybe mud.

Looks great!  I had started playing with this not to long ago but then got sidetracked with other things and haven't gotten back to it.  Will have to give these shaders a go, I was just recently able to pick them up!

Oh another note for anyone who might be doing or concidering breaking up the instances with something like InstaEdit it works great but of course be prepared for large numbers. But what I noticed is it seems to loose the random rotations when you do this.  Of course if it was only a few instances its easy enough to remedy but when your looking at say a 1000 thats way to many to minor tweak.  So I guess my main question is there anything that I can use to do a random y rotation on those instances?  Might be something to ask mCasual about if theres not already some kind of option available.  I have some stuff to do but I will post some examples here in a bit.

Daventaki said:
    barbult said:

Looks great!  I had started playing with this not to long ago but then got sidetracked with other things and haven't gotten back to it.  Will have to give these shaders a go, I was just recently able to pick them up!

Oh another note for anyone who might be doing or concidering breaking up the instances with something like InstaEdit it works great but of course be prepared for large numbers. But what I noticed is it seems to loose the random rotations when you do this.  Of course if it was only a few instances its easy enough to remedy but when your looking at say a 1000 thats way to many to minor tweak.  So I guess my main question is there anything that I can use to do a random y rotation on those instances?  Might be something to ask mCasual about if theres not already some kind of option available.  I have some stuff to do but I will post some examples here in a bit.

The loss of rotations is an InstaEdit bug I reported months ago. It also loses scaling. There has been no fix yet. I don't know of a workaround, but I'd like to hear about it if you find one.

Here's the result from my US-TOA experimenting - original is 9.4K x 4K, in this sized-down to 2K image postwork is not even noticable on all the apples and branches on the right tree. I also left some oaks in from the merge of the two scenes. laugh

Looks good.

barbult said:

The loss of rotations is an InstaEdit bug I reported months ago. It also loses scaling. There has been no fix yet. I don't know of a workaround, but I'd like to hear about it if you find one.

Ah, Thank you, I went back and reread the InstaEdit commercial thread and seen where the author is working on an update hopefully.  Until then Im going to have to play around or see if I can find something that will run a rotation and possible random scaling at least on the nodes.  I thought about using the null option with the script but thats a lot when your looking at a grass instance group in US which might have 1000 instances and you need to move some from a section instead of just one instance.

edited August 2020

Here are some more track material presets I created with the Mec4D PBS Shaders Vol.2. I think most of these would look better with the road pebbles hidden. I rendered these with Render Doctor, which uses high JPEG compression, so the look kind of bad in these reduced versions. I think I will replace them tomorrow with better renders. Images updated with PNG files.

Asphalt

Red Brick

Dark Mud

Light Mud (Dirt)

Sand

USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Asphalt BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Mud Dark BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Mud BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Sand BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Red Brick BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
  • NathNath Posts: 2,771
    barbult said:

Here are some more track material presets I created with the Mec4D PBS Shaders Vol.2. I think most of these would look better with the road pebbles hidden. I rendered these with Render Doctor, which uses high JPEG compression, so the look kind of bad in these reduced versions.

Asphalt

Red Brick

Dark Mud

Light Mud (Dirt)

Wonderful!

Looks like I need to experiment a bit as well. But, no yellow brick road ? ;-)

Nath said:
    barbult said:

Here are some more track material presets I created with the Mec4D PBS Shaders Vol.2. I think most of these would look better with the road pebbles hidden. I rendered these with Render Doctor, which uses high JPEG compression, so the look kind of bad in these reduced versions.

Asphalt

Red Brick

Dark Mud

Light Mud (Dirt)

Wonderful!

Looks like I need to experiment a bit as well. But, no yellow brick road ? ;-)

I thought about the same thing laugh, but I haven't found a yellow brick yet. Admittedly, I haven't really looked very hard, either.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    mcorr said:

The apples are unfortunately kind of low rez creations. I am also getting ground apples and tree apples that are a different size. Not kwel.

The apples are the same model, but there is random size variation in the drops, as there is with the original set.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    barbult said:

@TangoAlpha in regard to my low res bare patches. I see that the Surfaces pane shows only the DAZ Studio Default shader on the UltraScene object. Shouldn't that be using the special UltraScenery Terrain shader? I think I see what causes this. The TA TAO 07.json file is looking for "/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ecologies/TA Tangy Apple Orchard 07/TA TAO 07 MAT.duf". The actual file is named ""/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ecologies/TA TAO 07/TA TAO 07 MAT.duf".

I also see that the TA TAO 07 MAT.duf file internally identifies itself as Oaks 01. It looks like you copied Oaks 01 material file and didn't change it. I don't know if that causes a problem or not. I do have the Oaks addon, 

I examined Tangy Apple Orchard 07 here. I think this whole product needs to be updated. 

Spotted and fixed in the update (currently in QA). Thanks. It was an oversight when the folder names got changed. I have no idea why I didn't spot it in the renders - it looks pretty obvious now. Brain too focused on different things, I guess.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,792

where does TAO need to reide? what folder? 

I bought the USC product and installed, but no apple trees appear at all ..tried a couple different scenes and it just grass, gravel, etc .. no trees

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331

You need to have this item installed, as well:

https://www.daz3d.com/tangy-apple-orchard

Artini said:

You need to have this item installed, as well:

https://www.daz3d.com/tangy-apple-orchard

i did, but now i don't strange things. it might be left over from my DAZ Central fiasco. I reinstalled it. working. Thanks. 

edited August 2020

I made some more track materials, using some other texture resources I have.

Concrete

Concrete 2

Cobblestone

Cobblestone with Dirt

USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Concrete BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Concrete Floor BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Cobblestone BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Oaks 4 USC Track Cobblestone and Dirt BV.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Oh wow, cobblestone + dirt looks amazing

daveso said:

I bought the USC product and installed, but no apple trees appear at all ..tried a couple different scenes and it just grass, gravel, etc .. no trees

daveso said:

i did, but now i don't strange things. it might be left over from my DAZ Central fiasco. I reinstalled it. working. Thanks. 

I have this probably too, tried it last night but didn't really have time to mess with it had to go to bed to get up early.  Did you reinstall the new USC or just the Tangy Apple Orchard?  I uninstalled the Tangy Apple Orchard last night but it still didn't work.

edited August 2020

I posted step by step instructions on how to create the cobblestone materials preset for the Dirt Track features over in my thread. Let me know if you see mistakes in the instructions. There are some screenshots and renders to illustrate a couple of the steps there, too.

barbult said:

I posted step by step instructions on how to create the cobblestone materials preset for the Dirt Track features over in my thread.

Thank you!  I really like that one.

Oso3D said:

Oh wow, cobblestone + dirt looks amazing

Thank you, @Oso3D. The cobblestone with dirt was created almost exactly like the cobblestone preset, except I used a different Texture Haven texture in the Roadbase Layer Diffuse channel. I still used the cobblestone normal map, because I wanted it to look like the dirt was piled on the cobblestones, with a bit of the cobblestone shape hinted at. Over in my theread I have instructions to make the cobblestone materials preset. Here is an illustration of the difference to make the cobblestone with dirt.

Cobblestone plus dirt surface settings.png
    544 x 681 - 210K
    Daventaki said:
    daveso said:

daveso said:

I have this probably too, tried it last night but didn't really have time to mess with it had to go to bed to get up early.  Did you reinstall the new USC or just the Tangy Apple Orchard?  I uninstalled the Tangy Apple Orchard last night but it still didn't work.

just the original TAO product

barbult said:

@TangoAlpha in regard to my low res bare patches. I see that the Surfaces pane shows only the DAZ Studio Default shader on the UltraScene object. Shouldn't that be using the special UltraScenery Terrain shader? I think I see what causes this. The TA TAO 07.json file is looking for "/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ecologies/TA Tangy Apple Orchard 07/TA TAO 07 MAT.duf". The actual file is named ""/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ecologies/TA TAO 07/TA TAO 07 MAT.duf".

I also see that the TA TAO 07 MAT.duf file internally identifies itself as Oaks 01. It looks like you copied Oaks 01 material file and didn't change it. I don't know if that causes a problem or not. I do have the Oaks addon, 

I examined Tangy Apple Orchard 07 here. I think this whole product needs to be updated. 

Spotted and fixed in the update (currently in QA). Thanks. It was an oversight when the folder names got changed. I have no idea why I didn't spot it in the renders - it looks pretty obvious now. Brain too focused on different things, I guess.

@TangoAlpha, I like all the flowers and weeds and grasses that are now available to us in USC from Tangy Apple Orchard. This addon is not just about apple trees!  Thanks for the quick work on the update. yes I hope QA does a better job of testing this round and gets the update out quickly.

You know, if the terrain shader mistake hadn't been made in TAO, I may never have had the inspiration to make new material presets for it. So, good things come even from bad things. 

Have you got any clues for us on what you will make for USC next? If it will have dependencies, I like to watch for sales on those things and snatch them up in anticipation of a future USC addon.

daveso said:

What Feature did you select in your build?
    What Ecology did you select inyour build?
    Did you get any missing file errors?

This discussion has been closed.