UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,375
    edited August 2020

Admittedly a bit overprocessed, but fun to explore various styles of art with 'It STARTED as a render..."

Here I used Tangy Orchard and added Matte Fog from the Environment Settings (IRAY) and then ran it through Topaz Studios, then ran that result through Filter Forge and fiddled with those results a little. Makes me think of old timey ads or something. <shrug>

Whether UltraScenery generates art out of the box, or sets the stage for further artistic work, it has been such a game changer, on par with the advent of IRAY in DAZ Studio, in my humble opinion.

VT_Tangy_Apple_Orchard_US_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1200 x 1920 - 507K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,940

It does have that old timey advertisement look. Well done.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Reminds me of the cover art on Ladybird books, when I was a kid. Well done. yes

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,375
    edited August 2020

Thanks barbult and TangoAlpha.

Here's something just for fun - might play around with it more.

VT_Ogre_Ogre_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1200 x 1920 - 726K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • Love this image. 

Gogger said:

Thanks barbult and TangoAlpha.

Here's something just for fun - might play around with it more.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    Gogger said:

Whether UltraScenery generates art out of the box, or sets the stage for further artistic work, it has been such a game changer, on par with the advent of IRAY in DAZ Studio, in my humble opinion.

I, for one, agree with you.  Incidentally, in an idle moment while waiting for a render, I fed the latest statistics on ecologies, features and water shaders into my tame copy of Excel.  There are now no less than 2501 possilble scenes that can be generated from UltraScenery and its various add ons, up to and including the Tangy Apple Orchard set. 

Cheers,

Alex.  

And that's assuming you don't change any of the settings....

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    edited August 2020

Finally got the chance to play a little - I let my herd of cows mosey on into the Orchard this time and Marguerite just couldn't resist a bite.

Hm, looking at it again, I wish I'd shifted cow #5 a bit so Marguerite's face is in the clear...

ETA: That's the fruiting tree E-W ecology on River 1 feature, with trees generated into the background (can't remember what that option is called exactly blush )

USC-Orchard-1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 889K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    Gogger said:

I, for one, agree with you.  Incidentally, in an idle moment while waiting for a render, I fed the latest statistics on ecologies, features and water shaders into my tame copy of Excel.  There are now no less than 2501 possilble scenes that can be generated from UltraScenery and its various add ons, up to and including the Tangy Apple Orchard set.

Cheers,

Alex.

Oh dear, that's a little depresssing - I don't think I have enough years left in me to try them all!

And that's assuming you don't change any of the settings....

... and that is just rubbing it in further!

I do agree 100% with the game changer statement though - I love this whole thing so much.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912
    edited August 2020

Any chance of a paved two-lane road in a future iteration? Or have I missed it, I think I have all the expansions.

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

No paved roads yet, although RGCincy is, independently, working on a road generator that he has tested with US.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited August 2020

I know this has been mentioned before...  but I am going to mention it again...

I'd love to have a way to increase the size of the Ultrascene prop. I know there would be a memory hit and any increase in size would be a geometric increase... 

But it would be great to have the increased real estate with some of the lower populating settings.

If not that, it would be just as good to have a way to tile the base scenery props.

EDIT to add: I did try monkeying with the JSON files. But that got to feeling like real work, real quick. I already have enough impossible tasks in real life...  I don't need to intentionally stress myself out as a hobby.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,792

I'd love to have a way to increase the size of the Ultrascene prop. I know there would be a memory hit and any increase in size would be a geometric increase... 

But it would be great to have the increased real estate with some of the lower populating settings.

If not that, it would be just as good to have a way to tile the base scenery props.

EDIT to add: I did try monkeying with the JSON files. But that got to feeling like real work, real quick. I already have enough impossible tasks in real life...  I don't need to intentionally stress myself out as a hobby.

Bryce had a way to tile the terrains so that the elevations matched up. I tried tiling with US and nothing matches up, of course. Not sure how that is programmed but it was a great way to expand
  • daveso said:

Bryce had a way to tile the terrains so that the elevations matched up. I tried tiling with US and nothing matches up, of course. Not sure how that is programmed but it was a great way to expand

I can make height maps that tile, but it appears that US enforces some harder rounding at the edges of the terrain. So that makes it impossible to tile reliably. I tried poking in the JSON file for this, but had no luck.

Alternately two US props could be used, and hide the seam by having the further prop a little lower.

• I know this has been mentioned before...  but I am going to mention it again...

Tiling terrains and/or larger terrains are on the "to do" list - no estimates on when it will happen though.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited August 2020

Tiling terrains and/or larger terrains are on the "to do" list - no estimates on when it will happen though.

Okay, that just made my day. And I am in no rush to get it...I already have too much to play with as it is.

Thanks again for all of the hard work on this!

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

After lurking in this thread for the longest time I finally picked up Ultrascenery and gave it a test drive:

Some really crazy good renders througout this thread!

(Full size image in gallery - https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/1056801/ )

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@KA1

Well, it would appear to be a successful "test drive". Nicely done.

Ooh, I hope this happens sooner than later!

Like daveso I tried creating tiling terrain maps in Bryce and built multiple US's but couldn't get them to line up properly. One problem is that Bryce doesn't create them perfectly (Horo has a document about how you need to overlap them by a certain amount in Bryce) and I haven't yet worked out whether this is entire cause of the line-up problem in DS or whether something else is coming into play. (And I have so far failed to work out how to translate Bryce Units into DS ones to see which of these possibilities is the case)

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,696

I don‘t have anything really impressive to show yet, but I sure do love playing with US, it‘s so amazing! @Howie, would you maybe consider creating a sort of Irish landscape addition - like, with hedgerows instead of trees, and maybe some low stone walls, and hilly / cliffy terrain? I would so love that! With the current sets available, there‘s just too much trees always for a realistic, ‚typical‘ Irish landscape. And I think some undergrowth and hedges would be really cool anyways. So, maybe perhaps some day ...? Best!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    tsroemi said:

I don‘t have anything really impressive to show yet, but I sure do love playing with US, it‘s so amazing! @Howie, would you maybe consider creating a sort of Irish landscape addition - like, with hedgerows instead of trees, and maybe some low stone walls, and hilly / cliffy terrain? I would so love that! With the current sets available, there‘s just too much trees always for a realistic, ‚typical‘ Irish landscape. And I think some undergrowth and hedges would be really cool anyways. So, maybe perhaps some day ...? Best!

To take one of your  suggestions a stage further, what I would like to see is a terrain with a short cliff at one end and a waterfall with a pool at the base and a section of river leading out from it. 

This would work with either the tropical vegetation of Mossy Hollow or the more temperate trees of the other sets. 

Cheers,

Alex.

TAO has hedgerows... (there's a lot more than apple trees in that set!) It's basically an extra dense mix of beech, hawthorn & blackthorn in a strip along the side of a track. I included modified versions of the two base Track features to have those strips.

When extra track features come out, it'll be straightforward to create hedgerow masks for them and apply through the Mask facility on the Build tab.

blosse said:

ERROR Tangy Apple Orchard 04 Could not Find File: /runtime/Textures/TangoAlpha/USC/Plants/ta_Fern_Autumn_02.jpg

That's a typo: ta_FernAutumn_02 should be tao_FernAutumn_02

blosse said:

ERROR Tangy Apple Orchard 06 Could not Find File: /runtime/Textures/TangoAlpha/USC/Plants/tao_AppleLeaves1.jpg

I'm not sure about that error message, but the path to that file is wrong it's currently /runtime/Textures/TangoAlpha/TAO/Plants/tao_AppleLeaves1.jpg but it should be /runtime/Textures/TangoAlpha/TAO/tao_AppleLeaves1.jpg

When I use Tangy Apple Orchard 12, if I go back in later to edit it, the ecology page is set to Tangy Apple Orchard 14. Should that be happening?

I can see this happen, but I don't know why. (Well, I know why: it puts the wrong ecology name into the USC scene Settings block. But I don't know why it's doing that. I'll need to talk it over with Howie.)

Once this last item is resolved, I'll submit a patch.

Doesn't Daz QA check anything any more? (rhetorical question, posed out of frustration with many recent products)

• I'm currently testing TAO with Ultra Scenery and it works ok - but, appel trees are only for distance renders, I had one branch in the foreground and the apples are not round. So I tried subdivision for the tree (the source tree), the apples are round then but the branches are not connected anymore, so this or that, I have to do a lot of correction postwork. Also a mixture between apple trees and the other tree species is not available, only one or the other.

In addition the terrain loads with 3DL shader (and only the diffuse texture), I think this can be done better. And maybe it would be a good idea to at least include one normal res or even high-res (tree) plant as a single prop in the sets, it so would improve the options for image composition IMO.

@TangoAlpha I made my first Tangy Apple Orchard UltraScenery scene today. I'm getting large bare patches of very low resolution texture. I used Feature Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow and ecology Tangy Apple Orchard 07. I didn't mask anything out. Do you know what went wrong? The scene and render are attached.

I tried Tangy Apple Orchard 08 and it also has the bare patches.

I tried it with Woodland 2, and instead of low resolution bare patches, it has a high resolution dirt material. so Woodland 2 (from original USC) seems to be working correctly,

duf
    duf
    USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Ecology Tangy Apple Orchard 07.duf
    7M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Tangy Apple Orchard 07.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Tangy Apple Orchard 08.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    USC Dirt Track 2 Hedgerow Woodland 2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

@TangoAlpha in regard to my low res bare patches. I see that the Surfaces pane shows only the DAZ Studio Default shader on the UltraScene object. Shouldn't that be using the special UltraScenery Terrain shader? I think I see what causes this. The TA TAO 07.json file is looking for "/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ecologies/TA Tangy Apple Orchard 07/TA TAO 07 MAT.duf". The actual file is named ""/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ecologies/TA TAO 07/TA TAO 07 MAT.duf".

I also see that the TA TAO 07 MAT.duf file internally identifies itself as Oaks 01. It looks like you copied Oaks 01 material file and didn't change it. I don't know if that causes a problem or not. I do have the Oaks addon, 

I examined Tangy Apple Orchard 07 here. I think this whole product needs to be updated. 

edited August 2020

If USC Tangy Apple Orchard gets an update, I'd like to see the ecology names get fixed so that they show up properly in the USC interface. Right now, all of them show up as Tangy Apple Orchard 0, with the rest of the name cut off. They all appear to have the same name.The interface window can't be enlarged, so horizontal scrolling is required to read the names. Maybe they could be called Apple Orchard or Tangy Apple or Tangy Orchard, or TAO - anything that fits within the allowed space would be great.

Screenshot 2020-08-05 17.26.38.png
    756 x 624 - 290K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

I'm currently testing TAO with Ultra Scenery and it works ok - but, appel trees are only for distance renders, I had one branch in the foreground and the apples are not round. So I tried subdivision for the tree (the source tree), the apples are round then but the branches are not connected anymore, so this or that, I have to do a lot of correction postwork. Also a mixture between apple trees and the other tree species is not available, only one or the other.

In addition the terrain loads with 3DL shader (and only the diffuse texture), I think this can be done better. And maybe it would be a good idea to at least include one normal res or even high-res (tree) plant as a single prop in the sets, it so would improve the options for image composition IMO.

Agreed. The apples are unfortunately kind of low rez creations. I am also getting ground apples and tree apples that are a different size. Not kwel.

edited August 2020

As I look at the Tangy Apple Orchard more, I now see that the reason the path is so light and bleached out without texture detail, is also because of the wrong shader on the terrain. I'm confident the terrain and missing file errors can be easily fixed with a few file edits. I hope it will all be taken care quickly of so it doesn't result in a bunch of returns. Trees being lower res than what a user wants might not be as easily fixed, because this product uses the assets of the Tangy Apple Orchard product, and they are what they are. Fallen apple sizes might be fixable with scaling. I don't know. I haven't noticed a size discrepancy, though.

Post edited by barbult on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,696

TAO has hedgerows... (there's a lot more than apple trees in that set!) It's basically an extra dense mix of beech, hawthorn & blackthorn in a strip along the side of a track. I included modified versions of the two base Track features to have those strips.

When extra track features come out, it'll be straightforward to create hedgerow masks for them and apply through the Mask facility on the Build tab.

It‘s a lovely set and I‘ve put it on my wishlist already. However, those hedges feel much too tree-y and high to me to evoke a proper ‚Irish‘ feeling, although of course there are lots of different landscapes on the island. What I‘m looking for though is that almost surreally empty landscape which consists of not much more than the greenest and mossiest grass imaginable, lots of low stone walls criss-crossing each other, and some low hedges with, again, not terribly much in between them but grass and maybe some sheep. Maybe it‘s really more about the stone walls and the specific green of the grass and the stony hills than the hedges really, I‘m not sure. Do you know what I mean though?

This discussion has been closed.