[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436
    mcorr said:
    ManFriday said:
    mcorr said:

How are we doing with getting a MAC version of this out? Are we working on it? Do we need a mac developer/expert to port the Windowz version over to MAC? Anybody willing to do that? What is being done, or what is in the offing, to get this thing running on both platforms

The Mac versions are on the list of things I want to do, but it's a long list by now. I can't give a specific timeline, nor would another developer be useful. Sorry!

I hope in your long list of things to do, you’ll remember mac users and prioritize them. I have a long memory. FK didn't make stuff for daz, only poser. I refuse to buy stuff from her because we daz folks were treated as second rank citizens. I feel the same way about people who ignore the needs of the mac community, or engage in other acts of inequality ... no love ($$$) from me ... it goes both ways.

Creating and testing software applications for different operating systems can involve a lot of time and a lot of expense. Different hardware may be needed. Different software development tools may be needed. Different technical expertise may be needed. Sometimes cross development platforms exist, but they too may need financial and time investment to get going.

I'm sure ManFriday would love to increase his user base by including users of other operating systems. But is the potential financial gain greater than the investment cost? The Mac user base for Daz Studio may not be large enough to warrant this investment. I don't know. Everything is a tradeoff in business, and not clear cut.

• DigitalSteamDigitalSteam Posts: 299

I think a lot of people don't understand how much time and effort it takes to port something to a different OS. They think that since you're already bilding the tool, you should take the extera five seconds to push the magic button that says "And Mac" or "And Linux".

At the end of the day, you choose which operating system to buy.  If you choose the one with 10% market share, you know full well that's going to mean a more limited software menu. To then come to the table with these threats and demands... That is not the way to persuade someone to put in numerous hours of work at what will end up being - and can't help being, even if every single Mac user buys the product - a tiny fraction of their normal income.

My vote on new features, after some time spent with the product (I haven't thought of any that haven't already been mentioned, in the manual or elsewhere, so this is just my vote on whoch of those I'd wish for to be focused on first, for what it's worth.)

Masking - Being able to hide / lock faces would be huge - probably my top vote.
    Morph-loading functionality - I'm sure it would take a lot more effort for you to make it effortless for us than it takes for us to save and re-import morphs at present, but wow... What an addition that would be! 

The other thing I was going to ask for, I think is already there - it's mentioned in the manual, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't find it - how do you temporarily hide the gizmo to make modifying the selection in a small area easier?

One other question, though - in the manual it talks about using the Geometry Editor to do your masking, but above there's a warning about how if you use the Mesh Grabber and then use the Geometry Editor (the, presumably, go back for more Mesh Grabber action?) the world will end in a fiery cataclysm of apocalyptic doom.  Naturally, this has me concerned about masking with the Geo Editor.  Is there a way to make it work well or badly?  Do you just have to be reallyu, really certain you do all your masking first, then do your mesh grabbing?

Thank you again.  I think exporting to Blender or Hex is still going to be a reality, in some big-change cases, but I can scarcely even begin to imagine the future time you've saved me in not having to export and import for every little change and fix.   <3

My vote on new features, after some time spent with the product (I haven't thought of any that haven't already been mentioned, in the manual or elsewhere, so this is just my vote on whoch of those I'd wish for to be focused on first, for what it's worth.)

Masking - Being able to hide / lock faces would be huge - probably my top vote.
    Morph-loading functionality - I'm sure it would take a lot more effort for you to make it effortless for us than it takes for us to save and re-import morphs at present, but wow... What an addition that would be! 

The other thing I was going to ask for, I think is already there - it's mentioned in the manual, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't find it - how do you temporarily hide the gizmo to make modifying the selection in a small area easier?

One other question, though - in the manual it talks about using the Geometry Editor to do your masking, but above there's a warning about how if you use the Mesh Grabber and then use the Geometry Editor (the, presumably, go back for more Mesh Grabber action?) the world will end in a fiery cataclysm of apocalyptic doom.  Naturally, this has me concerned about masking with the Geo Editor.  Is there a way to make it work well or badly?  Do you just have to be reallyu, really certain you do all your masking first, then do your mesh grabbing?

Thank you again.  I think exporting to Blender or Hex is still going to be a reality, in some big-change cases, but I can scarcely even begin to imagine the future time you've saved me in not having to export and import for every little change and fix.   <3

My interpretation of the doom and gloom warning RE: Geometry Editor was if you delete polygons. I've never had a problem going back and forth just to select or hide visibility of polygons. 

barbult said:

My interpretation of the doom and gloom warning RE: Geometry Editor was if you delete polygons. I've never had a problem going back and forth just to select or hide visibility of polygons. 

Thank you - that helps a lot. I haven't got much experience with the GE, so, I guess I missed that part. :)

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348

Hi There,

Iv'e just purchased mesh grabber and the Rotation tool add on.

However I note that I can only install the rotation tool addon via Dim..

Why is this the Case.??,

Also I DO NOT use dim for installing my content as I install everything manually. Therefore is it possble to get a version of the addon tool download that I can install directly myself.

Thanks for your reply

S.K.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,959
    edited May 2020

@swordkensia ,yea the whole DIM only is an issue but the work around is to install DIM download the ADD-ON  via DIM .and then uninstall DIM . A couple of us had the same problem ..... I personally only do manuel installs  but that was what had to be done

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Hi There,

Why is this the Case.??,

Also I DO NOT use dim for installing my content as I install everything manually. Therefore is it possble to get a version of the addon tool download that I can install directly myself.

Thanks for your reply

S.K.

You'd need to put in a support ticket.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 560

Hi There,

Why is this the Case.??,

Thanks for your reply

S.K.

As was discussed earlier, the add-on can only installed via DIM. There were a number of problems when Daz tried to create the stand-alone installers that couldn't be fixed easily. So please use DIM to download and install the update. Apologies for the inconvenience!

ManFriday: In the manual, it mentions being able to temporarily hide the gizmo to make it easier to make or add to a selection, but I don't see the command or function to actually do it.  I'm sorry - it's probably right in front of me, but can you give me a hint? :)

Also, I think I'd also request that the gizmocould be made even smaller - I'm editing some pretty small items, and it'd be easier (for me - don't know how difficult it would be to program) to just drop the slider a few more notches instead of scaleing the item a few hundred percent, editing, and downscaling again.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2020

ManFriday: In the manual, it mentions being able to temporarily hide the gizmo to make it easier to make or add to a selection, but I don't see the command or function to actually do it.  I'm sorry - it's probably right in front of me, but can you give me a hint? :)

Also, I think I'd also request that the gizmocould be made even smaller - I'm editing some pretty small items, and it'd be easier (for me - don't know how difficult it would be to program) to just drop the slider a few more notches instead of scaleing the item a few hundred percent, editing, and downscaling again.

@DigitalSteam, When the gizmo gets in the way for me, I hold down the Ctrl key and move it out of the way. As long as you are only moving the mesh, it doesn't matter where the gizmo is. You might have to move it back for rotation, which I suppose could be a problem, but at least you have this option for now.

Also, while I haven't tried it, there are checkbox options to the left of the size slider. You could try unchecking all three and see if that hides the gizmo.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • ManFridayManFriday Posts: 560

There are two checkboxes in the Tool Options

L'Adair said:

@DigitalSteam, When the gizmo gets in the way for me, I hold down the Ctrl key and move it out of the way. As long as you are only moving the mesh, it doesn't matter where the gizmo is. You might have to move it back for rotation, which I suppose could be a problem, but at least you have this option for now.

Also, while I haven't tried it, there are checkbox options to the left of the size slider. You could try unchecking all three and see if that hides the gizmo.

It should, see attachment.

win_screenshot_1590666711.jpg
    447 x 328 - 28K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,835

I'm sorry if this questions has been answered before, but i'm not ready to read through 23 pages of information.

So here is my question. Would the mesh grabber enable me to create webbed hands?

Thansk a lot for the answers

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

@ManFriday hi my Lion,

I love to work with meshgrabber, but I have problem that is very frustrating.

When I work with smoothed items, then does daz3d freeze much time, after moving the mesh I zoom in/out so the smooth modifier can load/work again.

my CPU/RAM/GPU is not on high use, so I can not solve it with my strong hardware.

If I disable the smoother, I dont see the correct result, so... is it possible to fix this somehow, that the smoother doesnt load so crazy?

• CrimsonMagicCrimsonMagic Posts: 129
    edited June 2020

Would it be possible to add an option to move the mesh based on the face normals ?

If faces around a sphere are selected it currently moves the mesh in one direction (one side goes in and one side out). With movement based on face normals it should be possible to move the mesh in or out around the sphere.

SphereMG.jpg
    933 x 788 - 120K
    Post edited by CrimsonMagic on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

Would it be possible to add an option to move the mesh based on the face normals ?

If faces around a sphere are selected it currently moves the mesh in one direction (one side goes in and one side out). With movement based on face normals it should be possible to move the mesh in or out around the sphere.

Can you create a scene in daz3d or with a drawing programm to explain how it should happen, I dont understand what you want :D

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

That would require a scale modifier which is not currently a part of Mesh Grabber.

Sevrin said:

That would require a scale modifier which is not currently a part of Mesh Grabber.

I don't think so. The requested capability would be achieved by translating polygon faces in the direction of their face normals.

• CrimsonMagicCrimsonMagic Posts: 129
    barbult said:

The requested capability would be achieved by translating polygon faces in the direction of their face normals.

That's what I mean smiley

• this is a great tool and really shines in dealing with pokethru with multilayer clothing where smoothing and collision modifiers won't suffice, so for that I am truly grateful. But what would make this a truly phenomenal tool is if there was a way to animate the movement of the tool, the same way you can animate d-formers with simple keyframes. This would open up so many possibilties for animation. Please consider adding this functionality if it's feasible. Right now animating using d-formers works, but it is difficult to do with precision. It seems it shouldn't be too difficult to do with this tool, you just need a way to keyframe the coordinates of the gizmo thing that gets dragged around. 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2020

Because teeth, tongue and eyes are part of the Genesis, it's basically impossible to grab only the face's skin and pull it with mesh grabber without pulling everything that's under it. 

Do you think it's somehow possible to force Mesh Grabber to apply only on what's visible for example ? This way if I hide with the Geometry Editor Tool everything but the skin, then I could Pull/Push the skin without messing up teeth ?

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
    Post edited by hansolocambo on
    edited June 2020

Because teeth, tongue and eyes are part of the Genesis, it's basically impossible to grab only the face's skin and pull it with mesh grabber without pulling everything that's under it. 

Do you think it's somehow possible to force Mesh Grabber to apply only on what's visible for example ? This way if I hide with the Geometry Editor Tool everything but the skin, then I could Pull/Push the skin without messing up the teeth ?

@hansolocambo, Mesh Grabber already does this. (If it's not working for you, you may need to update the product.)

Keep in mind, the edge just beyond the visible may move to accommodate your changes, if they are connected.

ETA: I'm starting up the render machine now to create a couple of examples.

edited June 2020

Here is a series of images, viewport draws, showing an extreme distortion on a G8M torso from using Mesh Grabber. Links open images in a new window/tab.

1. Everything but the mesh I'm working with is hidden.
    2. Same view as 1 but without hidden polys.
    3. Same view as 1 & 2, but with mesh reset to default.
    4. Same distortion as 1 & 2 but from a front camera angle.
    5. Same camera view as 4 but with mesh reset to default.

These images show how the mesh hidden during the operation is distorted to accommodate the changes of the visible mesh. It's not extreme, though, even though the example distortion itself is fairly extreme.

I also noticed when working with the face, the hidden polys within the mouth did not move much at all. It was the visible mesh along the edge that did most of the stretching to accommodate my twisting and pullling.

L'Adair said:

Here is a series of images, viewport draws, showing an extreme distortion on a G8M torso from using Mesh Grabber. Links open images in a new window/tab.

1. Everything but the mesh I'm working with is hidden.
    2. Same view as 1 but without hidden polys.
    3. Same view as 1 & 2, but with mesh reset to default.
    4. Same distortion as 1 & 2 but from a front camera angle.
    5. Same camera view as 4 but with mesh reset to default.

These images show how the mesh hidden during the operation is distorted to accommodate the changes of the visible mesh. It's not extreme, though, even though the example distortion itself is fairly extreme.

I also noticed when working with the face, the hidden polys within the mouth did not move much at all. It was the visible mesh along the edge that did most of the stretching to accommodate my twisting and pullling.

None of your links are going to the gallery for me.

edited June 2020

That is so annoying. I opened the images in the browser window and copied the URL of the image. Give me a minute or two and I'll get those fixed.

ETA: The links are correct now.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2020

Thanks @L'Adait for sharing your tests, though the chest isn't the best area to clearly witness the effect on the face I was talking about ;)

"Everything but the mesh I'm working with is hidden" if you do the exact same Mesh Grabber rotation of a selection twice : once with part of the mesh hidden, once with the whole mesh visible, you'll see that the result is 100% identical and hiding the geometry does not affect the push/pull effect. 

"polys within the mouth did not move much at all" means : they moved. If the area of effect of the Mesh Grabber Gizmo is too big, then teeth will distort a lot even when they share no common vertex with the meshe's polygon(s) selected on a cheek for example. 

What Mesh Grabber "should" have is 2 options :

- option 1 (the one we have) The strength of the push/pull of the selected geomtery affects : any surrounding geometry that shares common edges between each vertex in the mesh AND any immediate neighboring vertices that the selected geometry does not share edges with. (Same as the Move Brush (B,M,V) in ZBrush)

- option 2 (very necessary option in my opinion) The strength of the push/pull of the selected geomtery affects ONLY the surrounding geometry that shares common edges within the currently selected mesh. (Same as the Move Topological Brush (B,M,T) in ZBrush)

This being said, Tongue and gum are part of the whole body topology. So even if Mesh Grabber could affect only the geometry linked to the selection, teeth wouldn't move, but tongue and gum would still be pulled. So... It's a tricky issue ;) I guess for some complex morphs, GoZ remains the way to go, as ZBrush's blurred mask of a selection can help in some cases to distort only what we want without affecting at all the rest of the mesh. 

@ManFriday Don't pay too much attention to my complaints, Mesh Grabber is definitely a must have tool, no matter its few limitations ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • s_j_gregorys_j_gregory Posts: 103
    edited July 2020

Love this tool and the newer rotation addon.  For the first time I have encountered what I might call a gizmo offset problem while trying to use it on dForce Low Cut Top for G8F.  Interestingly, on one side of the top the gizmo, highlighted face and resulting transformations all aligned as expected.  On the other side of the top, when I selected a face (and it highlighted), the gizmo positioned itself adjacent to another face and when I selected an arrow it moved the face/mesh associated with the face that it was adjacent to and not the selected/highlighted face.  I am not sure if this is the known bug mentioned above or not.  And I would say that this is the first time I have had this experience. 

PS.  I tried checking out the Joint Editor to assess the centre point and as well as I am able to determine the centre point for the Low Cut Top is at (0,0,0).

Post edited by s_j_gregory on
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2020

not sure if this has been asked here - 23 pages *cough* - but after i wrote a post in the freebies requests to see if someone could magick an adam's apple morph for G3M (NO, not interested in the few morph packs containing this morph i already have enough morphs / NO, i don't have experience nor wish to fumble with transferring morph thru generations), nobody seemed interested in creating this one single little morph...

so, mesh grabber: let's say i buy it (wishlisted) and i manage to imitate an adam's apple by pulling out the neck's skin/vertices of a base G3M - IF i manage, cuz yeah, me and modeling - can i actually "bake" that as a morph that will have a nice dial for G3M, ANY G3M, since i don't wanna play grabs every single time i use a G3M?

Post edited by manekiNeko on

not sure if this has been asked here - 23 pages *cough* - but after i wrote a post in the freebies requests to see if someone could magick an adam's apple morph for G3M (NO, not interested in the few morph packs containing this morph i already have enough morphs / NO, i don't have experience nor wish to fumble with transferring morph thru generations), nobody seemed interested in creating this one single little morph...

so, mesh grabber: let's say i buy it (wishlisted) and i manage to imitate an adam's apple by pulling out the neck's skin/vertices of a base G3M - IF i manage, cuz yeah, me and modeling - can i actually "bake" that as a morph that will have a nice dial for G3M, ANY G3M, since i don't wanna play grabs every single time i use a G3M?

Yes, but not directly through the Mesh Grabber interface. It has been discussed several times in this thread. Export OBJ and import with Morph Loader Pro. I guess maybe you should skim the 23 pages after all. wink

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,400
    barbult said:

Yes, but not directly through the Mesh Grabber interface. It has been discussed several times in this thread. Export OBJ and import with Morph Loader Pro. I guess maybe you should skim the 23 pages after all. wink

hmmm.. it's what i dreaded... having to go the hard route with export etc - just as with any morph. i really hoped this would have been included in meshgrabber. well, if i have to risk messing up my G3M and fumble with obj in/export, i think i can just move those vertices by myself somehow, with a dformer or sth. won't take me much longer to master a dformer than to learn the meshgrabber interface/workings.. urgh.

thx anyway for the info @barbult ^^