[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436
    barbult said:

not sure if this has been asked here - 23 pages *cough* - but after i wrote a post in the freebies requests to see if someone could magick an adam's apple morph for G3M (NO, not interested in the few morph packs containing this morph i already have enough morphs / NO, i don't have experience nor wish to fumble with transferring morph thru generations), nobody seemed interested in creating this one single little morph...

so, mesh grabber: let's say i buy it (wishlisted) and i manage to imitate an adam's apple by pulling out the neck's skin/vertices of a base G3M - IF i manage, cuz yeah, me and modeling - can i actually "bake" that as a morph that will have a nice dial for G3M, ANY G3M, since i don't wanna play grabs every single time i use a G3M?

Yes, but not directly through the Mesh Grabber interface. It has been discussed several times in this thread. Export OBJ and import with Morph Loader Pro. I guess maybe you should skim the 23 pages after all. wink

hmmm.. it's what i dreaded... having to go the hard route with export etc - just as with any morph. i really hoped this would have been included in meshgrabber. well, if i have to risk messing up my G3M and fumble with obj in/export, i think i can just move those vertices by myself somehow, with a dformer or sth. won't take me much longer to master a dformer than to learn the meshgrabber interface/workings.. urgh.

thx anyway for the info @barbult ^^

I found dFormer frustrating beyond belief, because it behaved unpredictably on a posed item. If you use it on a character in base pose, you should have better luck. I found Mesh Grabber to be so much better for things like fixing clothing poke through. For a simple morph like you are talking about, I think dFormer can handle it for you.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 560
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

not sure if this has been asked here - 23 pages *cough* - but after i wrote a post in the freebies requests to see if someone could magick an adam's apple morph for G3M (NO, not interested in the few morph packs containing this morph i already have enough morphs / NO, i don't have experience nor wish to fumble with transferring morph thru generations), nobody seemed interested in creating this one single little morph...

so, mesh grabber: let's say i buy it (wishlisted) and i manage to imitate an adam's apple by pulling out the neck's skin/vertices of a base G3M - IF i manage, cuz yeah, me and modeling - can i actually "bake" that as a morph that will have a nice dial for G3M, ANY G3M, since i don't wanna play grabs every single time i use a G3M?

Yes, but not directly through the Mesh Grabber interface. It has been discussed several times in this thread. Export OBJ and import with Morph Loader Pro. I guess maybe you should skim the 23 pages after all. wink

hmmm.. it's what i dreaded... having to go the hard route with export etc - just as with any morph. i really hoped this would have been included in meshgrabber. well, if i have to risk messing up my G3M and fumble with obj in/export, i think i can just move those vertices by myself somehow, with a dformer or sth. won't take me much longer to master a dformer than to learn the meshgrabber interface/workings.. urgh.

I found dFormer frustrating beyond belief, because it behaved unpredictably on a posed item. If you use it on a character in base pose, you should have better luck. I found Mesh Grabber to be so much better for things like fixing clothing poke through. For a simple morph like you are talking about, I think dFormer can handle it for you.

I have made progress with the Mesh Grabber morph importer / exporter. I'm currently busy with another project but with a bit of luck I can submit another add-on for that to Daz soon.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436
    ManFriday said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I have made progress with the Mesh Grabber morph importer / exporter. I'm currently busy with another project but with a bit of luck I can submit another add-on for that to Daz soon.

That will make it even better! Are you going to have a beta version for testing like you did with the rotation addon?

• technobrownietechnobrownie Posts: 24
    edited July 2020

Thanks @L'Adait for sharing your tests, though the chest isn't the best area to clearly witness the effect on the face I was talking about ;)

"Everything but the mesh I'm working with is hidden" if you do the exact same Mesh Grabber rotation of a selection twice : once with part of the mesh hidden, once with the whole mesh visible, you'll see that the result is 100% identical and hiding the geometry does not affect the push/pull effect. 

"polys within the mouth did not move much at all" means : they moved. If the area of effect of the Mesh Grabber Gizmo is too big, then teeth will distort a lot even when they share no common vertex with the meshe's polygon(s) selected on a cheek for example. 

What Mesh Grabber "should" have is 2 options :

- option 1 (the one we have) The strength of the push/pull of the selected geomtery affects : any surrounding geometry that shares common edges between each vertex in the mesh AND any immediate neighboring vertices that the selected geometry does not share edges with. (Same as the Move Brush (B,M,V) in ZBrush)

- option 2 (very necessary option in my opinion) The strength of the push/pull of the selected geomtery affects ONLY the surrounding geometry that shares common edges within the currently selected mesh. (Same as the Move Topological Brush (B,M,T) in ZBrush)

This being said, Tongue and gum are part of the whole body topology. So even if Mesh Grabber could affect only the geometry linked to the selection, teeth wouldn't move, but tongue and gum would still be pulled. So... It's a tricky issue ;) I guess for some complex morphs, GoZ remains the way to go, as ZBrush's blurred mask of a selection can help in some cases to distort only what we want without affecting at all the rest of the mesh. 

@ManFriday Don't pay too much attention to my complaints, Mesh Grabber is definitely a must have tool, no matter its few limitations ;)

I hope I'm getting this right. What you're talking about is similar to (in Blender) Proportional Editing with Connected on, ya? Basically you want only connected vertices would be effected by Mesh Grabber and not verts that are separated. Thanks to L'Adair with that demo I think what you want is possible. I think that Mesh Grabber only effects vertices that are visible on the selected model. 

So using your example for the mouth. First hide the texture/vertices via Geometry Editor by clicking the "eye" icon for mouth and teeth in the Surfaces group. Use Mesh Grabber to edit as normal. Reveal Vertices via Geometry Editor. Everything should move except for hidden vertices and vertices that are connected to said hidden vertices.

You can also do a custom selection in Geometry Editor by selecting the vertices that you want to move then right click the Selection Sets group and create new group from selected. Then hide everything except for said selected group you want to move. Would be nice if Mesh Grabber had an option to only effect vertices that are in Selection Sets so I can actively see everything. And there goes my suggestion on what I want in Mesh Grabber.

Examples
    InnerMouth Teeth Lips Hidden 
    Face Pulled
    Face Pulled Hidden

Post edited by technobrownie on

Thanks @L'Adait for sharing your tests, though the chest isn't the best area to clearly witness the effect on the face I was talking about ;)

"Everything but the mesh I'm working with is hidden" if you do the exact same Mesh Grabber rotation of a selection twice : once with part of the mesh hidden, once with the whole mesh visible, you'll see that the result is 100% identical and hiding the geometry does not affect the push/pull effect. 

"polys within the mouth did not move much at all" means : they moved. If the area of effect of the Mesh Grabber Gizmo is too big, then teeth will distort a lot even when they share no common vertex with the meshe's polygon(s) selected on a cheek for example. 

What Mesh Grabber "should" have is 2 options :

- option 1 (the one we have) The strength of the push/pull of the selected geomtery affects : any surrounding geometry that shares common edges between each vertex in the mesh AND any immediate neighboring vertices that the selected geometry does not share edges with. (Same as the Move Brush (B,M,V) in ZBrush)

- option 2 (very necessary option in my opinion) The strength of the push/pull of the selected geomtery affects ONLY the surrounding geometry that shares common edges within the currently selected mesh. (Same as the Move Topological Brush (B,M,T) in ZBrush)

This being said, Tongue and gum are part of the whole body topology. So even if Mesh Grabber could affect only the geometry linked to the selection, teeth wouldn't move, but tongue and gum would still be pulled. So... It's a tricky issue ;) I guess for some complex morphs, GoZ remains the way to go, as ZBrush's blurred mask of a selection can help in some cases to distort only what we want without affecting at all the rest of the mesh. 

@ManFriday Don't pay too much attention to my complaints, Mesh Grabber is definitely a must have tool, no matter its few limitations ;)

I hope I'm getting this right. What you're talking about is similar to (in Blender) Proportional Editing with Connected on, ya? Basically you want only connected vertices would be effected by Mesh Grabber and not verts that are separated. Thanks to L'Adair with that demo I think what you want is possible. I think that Mesh Grabber only effects vertices that are visible on the selected model. 

So using your example for the mouth. First hide the texture/vertices via Geometry Editor by clicking the "eye" icon for mouth and teeth in the Surfaces group. Use Mesh Grabber to edit as normal. Reveal Vertices via Geometry Editor. Everything should move except for hidden vertices and vertices that are connected to said hidden vertices.

You can also do a custom selection in Geometry Editor by selecting the vertices that you want to move then right click the Selection Sets group and create new group from selected. Then hide everything except for said selected group you want to move. Would be nice if Mesh Grabber had an option to only effect vertices that are in Selection Sets so I can actively see everything. And there goes my suggestion on what I want in Mesh Grabber.

Examples
    InnerMouth Teeth Lips Hidden 
    Face Pulled
    Face Pulled Hidden

The Mesh Grabber is modeled after the Blender proportional editing, and I agree it would be nice to have the "connected" option. It's on my list of things to add. I also want to add masking to be able to exclude vertices without having to go to the Geometry Editor to hide them, but that's going to take a little while longer. Morph editing first. :-)

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2020
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

yeah i find dformer frustrating too, as i do vertices and polygons etc. i fooled a bit with modelling years ago with C4D at school, stopped using my PC for a while, came back and found DS. awesome to play with 3d where everything is already made, no need to create everything from scratch, yay! i have no interest whatsoever in modelling any more, and prefer ready-made items - it's already hard enough to create scenes with good lighting and get good renders (especially with a prehistoric 10 y.o laptop...).hence my humble request on the freebie thread for an adam's apple morph, since g3m came without one and the morph packs i have don't offer one.

i'm not in this for the fun, actually, i hate it. dformer and all the rest, lol. no fun, just need.
    i wishlisted meshgrabber because it seemed like sth interesting - but i haven't bought it yet because i'm not even sure i'd use it much. i am NOT a content/morph/character creator, besides using ready-made morph packs to modify my figures and do some kitbashing/crossgendering...

as for pokethrough, between clones for all generations and simply adding smoothers when stuff doesn't fit, i don't even use any pokethrough solution..

Post edited by manekiNeko on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

yeah i find dformer frustrating too, as i do vertices and polygons etc. i fooled a bit with modelling years ago with C4D at school, stopped using my PC for a while, came back and found DS. awesome to play with 3d where everything is already made, no need to create everything from scratch, yay! i have no interest whatsoever in modelling any more, and prefer ready-made items - it's already hard enough to create scenes with good lighting and get good renders (especially with a prehistoric 10 y.o laptop...).hence my humble request on the freebie thread for an adam's apple morph, since g3m came without one and the morph packs i have don't offer one.

i'm not in this for the fun, actually, i hate it. dformer and all the rest, lol. no fun, just need.
    i wishlisted meshgrabber because it seemed like sth interesting - but i haven't bought it yet because i'm not even sure i'd use it much. i am NOT a content/morph/character creator, besides using ready-made morph packs to modify my figures and do some kitbashing/crossgendering...

as for pokethrough, between clones for all generations and simply adding smoothers when stuff doesn't fit, i don't even use any pokethrough solution..

I know everyone is different and while some might find it very useful and others will not, I can only share my experience.   I do not create content but I do own Mesh Grabber.  When I first bought it I thought the same that it would be one of those tools I use occasionally and that was it. But let me tell you, I use it all the time.  To fix poke through (use a lot for), to add  a little touch of micropressure for clothing or just to change the way something is laying. Ive used it to create just that touch of realism (wrinkles) in a bed covering. I can say there are not many renders I do that I do not use it in some way. 

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2020
    Daventaki said:

I know everyone is different and while some might find it very useful and others will not, I can only share my experience.   I do not create content but I do own Mesh Grabber.  When I first bought it I thought the same that it would be one of those tools I use occasionally and that was it. But let me tell you, I use it all the time.  To fix poke through (use a lot for), to add  a little touch of micropressure for clothing or just to change the way something is laying. Ive used it to create just that touch of realism (wrinkles) in a bed covering. I can say there are not many renders I do that I do not use it in some way. 

oh i'm sure it's a precious and very useful tool, and i don't want to offend the creator of this little gem in any way - i think it's one of the things that makes DS more like a "real" 3d program, actually,
    it's just that i'm 1) not very tech versed and tend to get confuzzled easily with tutorials, methods etc, with a random focus - and 2) i'm unbelievably lazy, and totally play oriented. which means as long as it's fun without too much work, i love it. once it gets hard and a bit less fun i'm fed up and tend to dump it... i have such a tiny fraction of my scenes actually done up to a render (of barely average quality, but yeah my laptop doesn't put up with heavy scenes, and often i can't even test things before it crashes), and a gazillion other halfway done scenes clutter my HD, having never seen their end nor a render... so if to add realism i had to push polygons around i think i'd go for "less realism", lol...
    the worst is that actually, i'm a total perfectionist. but coupled with a hardcore pathological procrastinator. i want to do everything perfectly, but i'm just not up to it XD. it's painful.

Post edited by manekiNeko on
  • neomanneoman Posts: 54
    edited July 2020

When I save a scene where I have used Mesh Grabber it always re-sets back to its original position.  How can I fix this issue?

My computer is an MSI laptop 

i7-7700HQ CPU

64-Bit OS

32Gb RAM

NVIDIA Quadro

Running DazStudio 4.12.1.118

Thanks!

Post edited by neoman on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

When I save a scene where I have used Mesh Grabber it always re-sets back to its original position.  How can I fix this issue?

Thanks!

I don't have this issue, so it might be helpful to the PA to include your computer's operating system and what version of Daz Studio you are using.

Regardless, one solution would be to create a morph, reset the Mesh Grabber changes and apply the morph. Mesh Grabber currently does not "spawn" morphs like the native dForms will. (A future feature, hopefully. One I'd gladly pay for as an Addon!) I created a step-by-step on how to create a morph from a dForce drape. Those steps can be applied to creating a morph from Mesh Grabber changes, too. (Here's the link. Opens in a new window.)

• neomanneoman Posts: 54
    L'Adair said:

Thanks!

I don't have this issue, so it might be helpful to the PA to include your computer's operating system and what version of Daz Studio you are using.

Regardless, one solution would be to create a morph, reset the Mesh Grabber changes and apply the morph. Mesh Grabber currently does not "spawn" morphs like the native dForms will. (A future feature, hopefully. One I'd gladly pay for as an Addon!) I created a step-by-step on how to create a morph from a dForce drape. Those steps can be applied to creating a morph from Mesh Grabber changes, too. (Here's the link. Opens in a new window.)

Thank you, I will try and create a savable morph first.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,113

Any chance that there will be a Macintosh version of Mesh Grabber?

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817
    inquire said:

I would not hope on it ;) it got requested a few times.

Well, is there any Windows Emulator for Macintosh that will run this? Anybody know if that's possible? (It is with some things, not with others.)

YOu wanna... Emulate Daz3d ? That is a very bad idea O_O...

OK. That's what I thought.

No no... its already hard to emulate Windows just to play some old Games, a Virtuell Server takes a lot power and daz3d is very hungry, that would be horrible.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. It would be horrible.

inquire said:

Yes there will be. I have made significant progress in that regard and have a few minor issues to sort out, but it won't take too long now. 

Oh, my Gosh! I can't thank you enough. I'm certainly looking forward to this. I think I'll be buying it the day it's released. Please, I hope it will run in Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6), and on DAZ Studio 4.12.1.118. (I'm using Sierra right now.)

• Another3DrendererAnother3Drenderer Posts: 35
    edited August 2020

I bought this tool back at launch but have only really started to look at it now.

One of things I wanted to use it for is to increase the length of some pants as an alternative to Fit Control which has been broken for months for me.

When I've try to select the back part of the leg opening, the selection stops so the end result looks something like this when dragged down:

Is a 360-degree selection of a leg opening possible so the entire leg opening for one leg can be selected and dragged down evenly in one go?

In other words, can both the front, side and back parts of the leg opening be click dragged & selected all at once (I can only seem to select the front at the moment)?

Post edited by Another3Drenderer on
    edited August 2020

You can, use the Geo Editor, then use the lasso and select with that the region (is the most easy way) so far I understand all from you xD

(removed my video because the user seems not to looking at it...)

Post edited by Loony on
    edited March 2022

I bought this tool back at launch but have only really started to look at it now.

One of things I wanted to use it for is to increase the length of some pants as an alternative to Fit Control which has been broken for months for me.

When I've try to select the back part of the leg opening, the selection stops so the end result looks something like this when dragged down:

Is a 360-degree selection of a leg opening possible so the entire leg opening for one leg can be selected and dragged down evenly in one go?

In other words, can both the front, side and back parts of the leg opening be click dragged & selected all at once (I can only seem to select the front at the moment)?

You can select more than one poly or edge or vertex by holding down the ctrl key while selecting. You can also swipe select by holding down the mouse button while moving the mouse. There is a video on the mesh grabber product page which shows you some of the basics, and if you press F1, you should find the mesh grabber PDF manual under plugins, or you can click on the question mark on the tool settings page. 
    Switching between the geometry editor and mesh grabber is also an option for complex selections, but the basics are also in mesh grabber iself. 

Post edited by ThreadTidier on

Another request, I am sure it got already requested but I make sure it get heared :D

Could you please add a Brush that allows to undo changes? Like I have now this scene:

To fit the handcuffs, I morphed the hands a bit, but I also morphed the ear to match the pinching ear.

Well the Problem: When I stop the ear pinching in the next scene, I have to reset that, but then I would have to do the work at the hands again or I try to slowly move the ear somehow correct back.

Maybe its possible to use the geo editor to select a region and then just reset these polygons. That would be really helpful! Like when I morphed a pant open, but just wanna reset the feets (also a repeating problem).

---

funfact I saerched for the word delinquent and found this:

https://ganglandscribe2.blogspot.com/2011/05/semiotics-of-juvenile-delinquent-vs.html

My boy was in my head also called Jimmy :)

• I just purchased this and it shows downloaded in Daz Central, but not under the tools menu. What should I do?

• I just purchased this and it shows downloaded in Daz Central, but not under the tools menu. What should I do?

Click Window - Workspace - Update and Merge Menus

• neocarbunkleneocarbunkle Posts: 6
    edited September 2020

I just purchased this and it shows downloaded in Daz Central, but not under the tools menu. What should I do?

That didn't do anything. Is there a way to manually install? It feels like I've thrown money away at this point
    Post edited by neocarbunkle on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2020

I just purchased this and it shows downloaded in Daz Central, but not under the tools menu. What should I do?

I'm not familiar with Daz Central, though they say it shares code with DIM. In DIM, you have to Install as well. There is an option to install automatically, but if it's not checked, the file is only downloaded. I recommend checking to see if Daz Central has actually installed the product.

I just checked, and you can manually download Mesh Grabber from the Product Library. I also noticed it is listed for Windows 64-bit only. If your computer is a Mac, or older PC running a 32-bit version of Windows, Mesh Grabber will not work for you. If either is the case, contact Customer Service to return it and get a refund.

But if your computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows, try downloading the file by clicking on the Download Zip button and installing manually. That file is actually an executable, so once downloaded, just double-click to install.

Post edited by L'Adair on

That didn't do anything. Is there a way to manually install? It feels like I've thrown money away at this point

You can always click Help - About Installed Plugins and see if it is listed

You can always click Help - About Installed Plugins and see if it is listed

Like the Doc said, "About Installed Plugins" should show you "Man Friday's Mesh Grabber". There must also be a MF_meshgrab.dll in your /plugins directory under your Daz Studio installation directory (C:\Program Files\Daz 3D\DazStudio...). If you have multiple copies of Daz Studio installed, make sure the DLL is in each one's plugins subdirectory.

If the DLL is there but the plugin doesn't show up under "About installed plugins", then the most likely cause is that you're running 32-bit Windows. Mesh Grabber requires 64 bits.