[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 560

I have a problem with the meshgrabber, I bought it a while ago, havent tested it yet, but I couldn't get it to show up in Daz Install manager. I downloaded it manually, I got a virus warning but installed it anyway since I obviously trust products bought here. I read in here that there's an update for this but since I couldn't install it throught the install manager the update doesn't show up there either. How do I know if I got the right version? can't see a version number anywhere in daz studio, here's what it looks like: 

I would rather install it and get updates through the install manager, but if that's not possible, is the latest version avaliable somewhere? do I manually download it again?

'

That looks like the old version. The new version displays a 2.0.0 version number prominently on the Tool Settings pane. You can also check under "Help" -> "About Installed Plugins" -> "ManFriday's Mesh Grabber", which should display a 2.0.0 version number if you're up to date.

If you use DIM, the update should show up and install from there. If it doesn't you might want to ask Daz for support since DIM is not really under my control. Thank you!

MrDarck said:
    Paintbox said:

Is it possible to ONLY move the selection you made instead of grabbing everything under the influence sphere? So I select X number of vertices, only those move and change, not any other vertices or faces of the same object.

Set the value to 0.5 in the beta was it also possible to use 0.0 don't know if is now also aviable.

Setting it to 0 is now possible. You can also manually type any number into the slider now.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I have a problem with the meshgrabber, I bought it a while ago, havent tested it yet, but I couldn't get it to show up in Daz Install manager. I downloaded it manually, I got a virus warning but installed it anyway since I obviously trust products bought here. I read in here that there's an update for this but since I couldn't install it throught the install manager the update doesn't show up there either. How do I know if I got the right version? can't see a version number anywhere in daz studio, here's what it looks like: 

I would rather install it and get updates through the install manager, but if that's not possible, is the latest version avaliable somewhere? do I manually download it again?

'

I think I can help.

Because DIM didn't install the product in the first place, it's not looking for updates. In theory, you should be able to download any product from the website and save it in the DIM downloads folder. Once in that folder, it will, (should,) show up under the Ready to Install tab, where you can select and install it. Once DIM has installed the product, it will know to look for updates.

If you don't know where the DIM downloads folder is, you can find that in the Settings:

• Open DIM by logging in.
    • Click on the Download Filters button at the top of the Ready to Download tab. (This will open the Settings directly to the Download options.)
    • At the top of the Downloads setting tab you will see "Package Archive :" followed by the path to your downloads folder.
    • Make note of that path.
      • While you're there, scroll down the list of filters and make sure Plugin is checked.
      • Close the Settings.
    • Download Mesh Grabber from your Product Library, (or any other file that gives you the same troubles,) and browse to that folder to save the file.
    • DIM needs to sync the data, either by closing and reopening or clicking on the Sync icon in the upper right of the window, (the two circular arrows.)
    • Click on the Ready to Install tab.
    • Click on the Install button to the right of Mesh Grabber.

I hope this helps.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    barbult said:

I found a new use for Mesh Grabber in my render today. I've been using it mostly to fix clothing poke through or to squish down chair cushions, etc. Today it came in very handy to push hair back behind some fingers. Before Mesh Grabber the hair was running through the finger flesh, and I couldn't find a morph that would move it back out of the way.

yeh, sadly it doesn't work for strand hair, although not normally an issue

• tombraider4evertombraider4ever Posts: 692
    edited March 2020

Thank you so much for the replies! smiley I didn't have plugin checked in Dim so Meshgrabber showed up at once when I clicked it, I installed it but it's still the old version I think, it doesn't say the  2.0.0 version number anywhere. I closed dim and opened it again hoping for an update but there was none. I then tried your advice, I downloaded Mesh Grabber from the product library using manual download and I still get a virus warning. I downloaded anyway but the file is an installer, when I place it in that Downloads folder and open dim nothing happens, I clicked sync but still nothing and the Meshgrabber is still the old one. If I click the install program inside the Downloads folder will it still show up future updates in Dim? or do I have to get it to install through Dim somehow?

Edit: is there a separate file without the installer program so it installs through Dim? the MeshGrabber is a program with an installer: this is how it look like: 

Why is this is this so complicated? sad. How do I get Dim to install this? No matter what I do it doesn't show up. If this doesn't get resolved I guess I have to watch this thread closely for updates. I'm hoping for a spawn morph option. 

Edit 2: I would be grateful if someone can help me with this, I would rather not open up a help ticket. 

Post edited by tombraider4ever on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830
    edited March 2020

@tombraider4ever

I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Go to the Installed tab in DIM, uninstall Meshgrabber, then go to the Ready to Install tab in DIM, right click on the Meshgrabber file that should be there now,  and delete the package.

2. Go to your Program Files folder and drill down to Daz 3D/DAZStudio4/Plugins and delete the MF_meshgrab.dll file if you find it there.

3. Go back to DIM and do a clean download of Meshgrabber and install.

ETA: If that doesn't work, download the package and open up it with an unzipper. Copy the .dll file to  the plugin folder in #3 above. I'm not entirely sure that is sufficient but you can give it a try. Be sure Daz Studio is not running while you do all of the above.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincy said:

@tombraider4ever

1. Go to the Installed tab in DIM, uninstall Meshgrabber, then go to the Ready to Install tab in DIM, right click on the Meshgrabber file that should be there now,  and delete the package.

2. Go to your Program Files folder and drill down to Daz 3D/DAZStudio4/Plugins and delete the MF_meshgrab.dll file if you find it there.

ETA: If that doesn't work, download the package and open up it with an unzipper. Copy the .dll file to  the plugin folder in #3 above. I'm not entirely sure that is sufficient but you can give it a try. Be sure Daz Studio is not running while you do all of the above.

Thank you so much for helping me with this! smiley I followed your instructions, it showed up as products to download, I downloaded and installed throught Dim and it's the new version. Hopefully this means that future updates will show up there also. smiley

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 564
    edited March 2020

Ooh, this will hopefully work for me as well, as I am having a similar issue with the update not showing up in the DIM, even though the files are in the InstallManager folder!

RGcincy said:

@tombraider4ever

Thank you so much for helping me with this! smiley I followed your instructions, it showed up as products to download, I downloaded and installed throught Dim and it's the new version. Hopefully this means that future updates will show up there also. smiley

Edit: Update, didn't work for me. 

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366

I'm finding the updated version to be a real pain is there anyway to get the previous version.

The grabber ball jumps about all over the place and keeps letting go of the pixels I've selected.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

@Cinus and @ManFriday thanks, that did the trick

• I just wanted to pop in and say....thank you! I picked this tool up thinking that it might be a little helpful in reducing the sheer number of d-formers I use on the regular and OH MY WOW, is it ever good at that! Thank you bunches and bunches for this awesome utility! I can't wait to see what time-saver you're coming out with next!
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

@scorpio Is there a certain object that its doing it on?  I ask because I use this on just about every render and have not had this problem even with layered clothing.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited March 2020

I just bought MeshGrabber and there are two identically named files in the Product Library.  I downloaded them both because the both said Win64bit and one is numbered _1 and the other _2, figuring it was a large download.  I installed _1 first but when I installed _2, it immediately popped up an error message telling me to uninstall the previous verision for DAZ Studio 4.5.  But I have never had a previous version.  What's going on and which file do I really need?

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • lamoid_5f20d3e469lamoid_5f20d3e469 Posts: 295
    edited March 2020

Q: Anyone know how I can lock part of a mesh so that meshgrabber will not move those vertices while it operates on others nearby?

Excellent tool, BTW. One of the most useful ever for daz studio. Thank you Man-Friday!

It's clear that I should RTFM. (As an engineer by trade, and a guy by birth, that is always my last resort!)

A: Note 9 on page 8 of the v 2.0 manual explains how to do that.

Nevermind!

Post edited by lamoid_5f20d3e469 on

Q: Anyone know how I can lock part of a mesh so that meshgrabber will not move those vertices while it operates on others nearby?

Excellent tool, BTW. One of the most useful ever for daz studio. Thank you Man-Friday!

@lamoid_5f20d3e469, Using the Geometry Editor tool, hide the polygons of the area you don't want to be affected:

The easiest way to access the Geometry Editor tool is using the keyboard shortcut, Alt+Shift+G. If you don't already have it docked, I highly recommend you go to the main menu Window > Panes (Tabs), select Tool Settings and dock the pane. You're going to need it for Mesh Grabber anyway.

If you need help with the Geometry Editor, there are several threads in the forums with specific information. I don't want to derail this thread with a tutorial…!

edited March 2020

I just bought MeshGrabber and there are two identically named files in the Product Library.  I downloaded them both because the both said Win64bit and one is numbered _1 and the other _2, figuring it was a large download.  I installed _1 first but when I installed _2, it immediately popped up an error message telling me to uninstall the previous verision for DAZ Studio 4.5.  But I have never had a previous version.  What's going on and which file do I really need?

As far as I know you want the 2nd file that is 8.33 mb it is version 2, file name MeshGrabberforDAZStudio45Win64bit_2.0.0.0_ds.exe

Post edited by Daventaki on

Thanks, Daventaki, the 2nd file worked.  lamoid_5f20d3e469, there's a manual....?  <blink> (runs off to find manual)

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Is symmetry going to be added soon?

The beta expired. sad

I'm already going nuts without the rotation!

ManFriday said:

The rotations are in testing at daz and should be out soon. :-)

Aaaahhhh! Not "Daz Soon™" I hope…!

Aha!!  I've been looking for the rotation and couldn't find it.  Will there be scale at some point? One of my tests was to load a torus and try to make the center hole bigger (meaning the donut part narrow) by selecting the center ring, expanding it and ..... making a huge mess.  What about select ring? That would be handy.

Aha!!  I've been looking for the rotation and couldn't find it.  Will there be scale at some point? One of my tests was to load a torus and try to make the center hole bigger (meaning the donut part narrow) by selecting the center ring, expanding it and ..... making a huge mess.  What about select ring? That would be handy.

Explore the Geometry Editor tool.

For example, if you select two polygons side by side and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+=, you can select all the polygons in a loop.

L'Adair said:

The beta expired. sad

ManFriday said:

It's in the queue at Daz. Out of my hands I'm afraid!

ManFriday said:
    L'Adair said:

The beta expired. sad

ManFriday said:

I know.

I was just really hoping it would be released before the beta expired! Apparently, crossing one's fingers isn't particularly effective.
    wink

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I didn't have the version with rotation, but I've always found uses for it.  Will this be a new product, or an expansion?  Will there be anything else along with rotation?

Sevrin said:

I didn't have the version with rotation, but I've always found uses for it.  Will this be a new product, or an expansion?  Will there be anything else along with rotation?

It will be an add-on to the existing Mesh Grabber product. Which was just updated with fixes and new features for free. :-)

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,058

Dumb question about the Morph Spawn option, it will work on non-zeroed meshes?
    I mean, if I use the grabber on a piece of clothing or a geograft on a char sitting far away from the world center, the morph will be created or I have to unparent the clothing/geograft and zero it to have effect?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    ManFriday said:
    Sevrin said:

It will be an add-on to the existing Mesh Grabber product. Which was just updated with fixes and new features for free. :-)

Please, hurry up with this add-on.

nicstt said:
    ManFriday said:
    Sevrin said:

Please, hurry up with this add-on.

@nicstt, MF said this earlier in the thread, almost two weeks ago:

ManFriday said:

edited April 2020

I was going to wait until the Rotations add-on hit the store to share this image here. But Daz Soon™ is taking too long…!

Predator

Predator, by L'Adair

Notice the sand churned up by the centaur's hooves? I created that effect with the Mesh Grabber beta with Rotation. It took me days to get it right. I could have done it without rotation, but it would have taken much longer, I'm sure. I go into detail on how I did it in my WIPs thread, three posts with images, beginning here.

Post edited by L'Adair on

crying   I sure wish they would release the rotation addon crying