What I lack in everything, I make up for with enthusiasm :)

Comments

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

I have (short) periods of that. Glad you're back :)

edited March 2018

It was inevitable.

Here, too, are some details that I may or may not change. Not an exact copy, partly because the old Genesis and G8F are rather different in more ways than one, but also because good old G1 could not do some things G8F can :) Besides, skins alway make things look different, and of course, I wanted and iray only skin, while I only ever use 3DL (until now, anyway). And then the eyebrow colour bothered me, so tha had to change too. But here she is, new and hopfully improved:

Amber Stoneborn

Amber G8F quick test 12 small.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 299K
    Post edited by mori_mann on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Very nice Mori, you did well with her too :) what hair are you using? *curious*

Thank you :) I'm probably done updating for a bit now. Need more skins ;)

I used Karissa hair https://www.daz3d.com/karissa-hair-for-genesis-3-8-female-s but I did take the textures into photoshop to get the right kind of colour (and used a geo shell to catch the shadows instead of the hair itself).

Thought it looked familiar, but couldn't place it.. and was too lazy to go search ;) 

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

This right here. I really, really like this, and I'm not informed enough to be able to tell you why, but I do. 

mori_mann said:

Almost forgot to post this here :)

Made for Llola's challenge. A lady shopping for a square meal - or the ingredients - on the market square.

Shopping

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

He may be more happy with his new and improved body once he realizes how much better it works?

Love her eyes and hair

mori_mann said:

It was inevitable.

Here, too, are some details that I may or may not change. Not an exact copy, partly because the old Genesis and G8F are rather different in more ways than one, but also because good old G1 could not do some things G8F can :) Besides, skins alway make things look different, and of course, I wanted and iray only skin, while I only ever use 3DL (until now, anyway). And then the eyebrow colour bothered me, so tha had to change too. But here she is, new and hopfully improved:

Amber Stoneborn

Wanderer said:

This right here. I really, really like this, and I'm not informed enough to be able to tell you why, but I do. 

mori_mann said:

Made for Llola's challenge. A lady shopping for a square meal - or the ingredients - on the market square.

Shopping

Thank you :) Most people who commented on this one said they like the light, colours and/or atmosphere.

Personally, I think I like the warm colours best. And perhaps the fact that the main subject - the lady is the only one unaffected by DOF - is facing away from teh camera. No idea why. It just happened to end up like this.

He may be more happy with his new and improved body once he realizes how much better it works?

Love her eyes and hair

mori_mann said:

It was inevitable.

Amber Stoneborn

Haha, he might, but he may need Amber to make him realize jsut how well it works. Ahem, best not go there ;)

edited March 2018

First time actually playing around with some Iray stuff.

Still lots to learn. Too grainy for my taste (should probably let it run longer and fiddle with settings). Still too much in love with 3DL I think :)

Amber Iray Testing 3.png
    977 x 781 - 1M

I really do love her eyes... she is beautiful but those eyes of hers are just amazing! 

Well, I must say that even though I am not sure about Iray at all just yet, her eyes did come out very, very close to how I always imagined them here.

There is something in the focus being upon the one looking away. I also think the eye color is really interesting on your other pictures. Interesting. I do see the warmth you speak of. And I'm now wondering if I might be able to deliberately make little flame creatures with some effort, thanks to you.  

mori_mann said:
    Wanderer said:

mori_mann said:

Shopping

Thank you :) Most people who commented on this one said they like the light, colours and/or atmosphere.

Personally, I think I like the warm colours best. And perhaps the fact that the main subject - the lady is the only one unaffected by DOF - is facing away from teh camera. No idea why. It just happened to end up like this.

A herd of flame creatures sounds like something really unique and fun. I'd live to see what you come up with in that department.

Amber's eyes are a very essential part of the character. So I had to make them special in her 3D incarnation(s). (She existed as a character long before I ever touched 3D)

I will definitely give it some thought. Thank you for the inspiration.

edited March 2018

Wrangling iray into submission, lol. Still can't get it quite without grainines yet, but that's what they call learning. Still not convinced it will take good old 3DL's place. There's something about iray that doesn't make my characters/images feel like they should. Probably just me :D

First time setting up my own lights. Yes, it's bright. He's in a desert, looking at something in the far distance. He's not wearing a lot, because I had to iron out some skin issues with maps doing odd things, despite doign the exact same thing on every single one of them.. Hope he doesn't get sunburnt ;)

Shadowtesting 3.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M

An interesting character. What is he searching for/looking at?

I wish I could be more helpful with the issues you're having. New user challenge made a big difference to me, but as you may see I still must learn a lot. My composition skills are lacking in many images. Anyway, there's a lot of great information in those threads for lighting. I only mention that because it seems like so much of the difference between 3dl and iray come down to simply lighting (and there's nothing simple about it). If you wanted to join us over in the monthly challenges, I'm sure people would be able to offer great advice that might help with iray. The other thing that makes a big difference in converting over to iray is getting the materials right, which it sounds like you're digging into. I'm sure others could offer more intelligent views on what you've done here. In this lighting, I don't think his skin looks bad - but what do I know?

I switched to iray because I couldn't figure out how to make 3DL look good and I've always had Nvidia cards for playing video games. Seemed like a good fit. With the right card, the speeed differences are incredible, for me. I've not played with Octane or much with Luxrender, but it's one of those things. I don't know that it's better than anything else, but worked for me.

Thank you for you insights :D I run around the (new user) challenge threads from time to time. Never hurts to look at the basics. Especially when learnign new basics. I found some useful tutorials elsewhere, too. Those come in handy. I even finished an image that came out well enough with the help of those. So I'm getting there. One step at a time.

In the image, he isn't actually looking at anything. I basically wanted to see how this skin and eyes behaved with a light set-up I was playing with - specifically, a very bright light set-up. But.. I can never test anything on a hairless, naked, unposed model. The poor guy's eyes hurt from looking into that light, so it was only fair to let him shield them a little from said light. Which was an excellent excuse to practise on shadows and changing the direction of the (HDRI/dome/environment - whicever comes first) light. 

If we assume this s from a story, he's probably scanning the horizon for signs of life. Or an oasis. Or a city/settlement ;)

No problem. Thanks for sharing. I don't mean to impose the need for a story on the image. I was just curious.  Experimentation helps in many ways. It seems to be about the only thing I do these days. I read an excellent tip that suggested placing an object in overhead view to be used as a sundial, to help quickly judge qualities of light and shadow as well as position of sun/light orientation. Well, keep up the practice and experimenting. We're all in this together.

Never worry, I did in no way take your words as trying to impose :)

I liek having a bit of a story in all my renders. Even if it's only charcter X performing daily routine Y or something. That's why I can never just test things. Like in thise one. Zero pose? Nope, he would shield his eyes from the sun, like.. this. More or less. So then the obvious question would be what he's looking at. And there is where a thousand possibilities come in, which I am happy lo leave up to the viewer's imagination ;)

edited April 2018

Happy Easter :)

Or should that be.. Ah'sh-y Easter?

Looks like the overgrown housecat is pondering if stealing one of these yellow eggs would be worth the consequences.

Ah'shy Easter 6 Small.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 323K

Happy Easter! I struggle with a way to make details on black cats stand out in renders. You've actually got some nice little details there.

edited April 2018
    Wanderer said:

Happy Easter! I struggle with a way to make details on black cats stand out in renders. You've actually got some nice little details there.

LAMH (https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair and/or https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player) helps with the details. Also, make sure there are enough lights preferably from different directions. 

This is a 3DL render, lit with UberEnvironment, one distant light and two spots. If necessary, I would have added a third spot, but this was enough :)

Ahh... thank you. I never could get the hang of 3DL, but your insight definitely helps.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,406
    mori_mann said:

Looks like the overgrown housecat is pondering if stealing one of these yellow eggs would be worth the consequences.

I'm loving that panther. What figure is it? 

Wanderer said:

Ahh... thank you. I never could get the hang of 3DL, but your insight definitely helps.

3DL is fun :) But just like iRay, a few good tutorials to get you started are a very good idea.

mori_mann said:

I'm loving that panther. What figure is it? 

It's the Black Panter for Daz Cat 2: https://www.daz3d.com/black-panthers-for-daz-big-cat-2 Dont let the main promo with the overstretched jaw fool you, it really is a nice model.

I tweaked the shapes a bit to get this one, though. Because a ratehr important character in my brain's endless stories need to have a unique look ;)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,655
    mori_mann said:

Very beautiful Nature/Easter render @mori_mann loving the playful pose your big cat has!!

Thank you :) Ah'sh is always up for some good old fashioned mischief :D

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Happy (late) Easter!

I just want to rub that furry face.  He's beautiful.