April New User 3D Art Contest "Open Render" (WIP)

Comments

• HollokoHolloko Posts: 75
    h_habash said:

Thanks Kismet and Isidorn, I've added the buildings to see what it'll look like, what do you think?, I've also changed the sun light a bit and added some small birds (Sparrow) brought from Poser contents.

I think you have a great project going here. I do have a posing suggestion. It appears the girls top leg is being awkwardly held a little high. I think you need to bring the thighs closer together and let her right foot relax on the blanket to get a more natural pose that does not look strained. In my opinion, I also think the far right building looks like it is made out of Legos and doesn't rally fit the scene well. You might even consider stretching them out a bit so the don't look so skinny, unless you are going for the town home look. I think the boy and the girls upper body are both posed great!

• HollokoHolloko Posts: 75

A question about the rules...

Since it is open, but capturing the last three contests, are we supposed to do our own posing from scratch using a reference picture like we did in the posing contest in March? I think it would be cool if we did that again for at least one figure in the render. I thought it was fun last time...and great practice!

Even if it is not an official requirement this time, I think I want to try doing that again.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

No it's just a matter of using the priciples of what you learned in the previous 3 contests.

• Chohole said:

No it's just a matter of using the priciples of what you learned in the previous 3 contests.

winkPrinciples learned in last three contests:

1. Composition:  reading is good for you.

2. Lighting: there's a reason why there are so many light presets available for sale.  It's to keep you from getting headaches.

3. Posing: pre-made pose packs are worth the money that the vendors ask for.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  I learned a lot and had a lot of fun, even though I only entered last month's contest.  Still have thinking cap on for this month.

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    Holloko said:
    h_habash said:

Thanks Kismet and Isidorn, I've added the buildings to see what it'll look like, what do you think?, I've also changed the sun light a bit and added some small birds (Sparrow) brought from Poser contents.

I think you have a great project going here. I do have a posing suggestion. It appears the girls top leg is being awkwardly held a little high. I think you need to bring the thighs closer together and let her right foot relax on the blanket to get a more natural pose that does not look strained. In my opinion, I also think the far right building looks like it is made out of Legos and doesn't rally fit the scene well. You might even consider stretching them out a bit so the don't look so skinny, unless you are going for the town home look. I think the boy and the girls upper body are both posed great!

Thanks Holloko, appreciate your suggestions, I have noticed the girl right leg issue earlier, I'll change it soon, I just notice the far right building shape thanks for pointing it out, I'll see how I can fix it.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited April 2016
    h_habash said:

In addition to the great advice you got from Holloko if you keep the buildings spaced as they are I would add 2 more...1 at each end.  They tend to stop abrupty.  Otherwise you have the look of a park in a quaint little town.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    h_habash said:
    Holloko said:
    h_habash said:

Thanks Holloko, appreciate your suggestions, I have noticed the girl right leg issue earlier, I'll change it soon, I just notice the far right building shape thanks for pointing it out, I'll see how I can fix it.

I also would like to add my 2 cents worth here Habash, I think what Kismet and Holloko are right about the buildings, but I would like to add that I think where you are at picnic there should be some ants making their way to the basket maybe or even butterflies or some sort of bugs there just to let everyone know it is spring time!!!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited April 2016
    h_habash said:

"Spring Picnic" - I hope I'd covered the 3 main focus in this scene :), there is one light from the skydome.

Where do you get those trees, flowers, fence, ...oh, and now the buildings...

I like it.

• posjonposjon Posts: 34

Ok new pose added two lights one red, one green both spot lights. Also brought up the light intensity to 100%. So the first pic is how it comes out from a render. The second is the view I have from studio. I did a basic capture & created the jpg for this second pic. The thing is I would like to get my render's to come out with the same intensity of light which I for some reason am not obtaining. Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Amber Mae 3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 222K
    Amber Mae 3.1.jpg
    972 x 718 - 221K
  • KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69
    Siotrad said:
    Kaliadder, I just now realized that the dancing dragon is in your signature. I thought it was an attachment (as a small picture at the bottom of a post usually is) for the project you had in mind for this contest when I saw it in your first post.blush

Lol. No worries wink

edited April 2016
    h_habash said:

In addition to the great advice you got from Holloko if you keep the buildings spaced as they are I would add 2 more...1 at each end.  They tend to stop abrupty.  Otherwise you have the look of a park in a quaint little town.

h_habash said:
    Holloko said:
    h_habash said:

I also would like to add my 2 cents worth here Habash, I think what Kismet and Holloko are right about the buildings, but I would like to add that I think where you are at picnic there should be some ants making their way to the basket maybe or even butterflies or some sort of bugs there just to let everyone know it is spring time!!!

h_habash said:

"Spring Picnic" - I hope I'd covered the 3 main focus in this scene :), there is one light from the skydome.

Where do you get those trees, flowers, fence, ...oh, and now the buildings...

I like it.

Thank you Kismet, Saphirwild, and Nonesuch00.

Kismet, you and Holloko are right about the buildings, I'll do another version with the buildings on their side to see how it'll look like, but my intention for the picnic to be in a small town and the building suppose to be a bit far from the garden, anyway lets see how it'll look like in the other way.

Saphirwild, I've tried to add some small insects like Ladybug and Dragonfly to the scene, but due to the camera wide capture they are not seen in the render, instead, I've added Three Sparrow birds "I don't know if someone noticed" one in the water fountain trying to drink water, the second one is flying between the water fountain and the tent, and the third one is standing in the shadow over the bench. and in the new version of the render below you can notice the Yellow Butterfly on the right side.

I'll see if I added some black dots between the basket and the flower what it'll look like.

Nonesuch00, I got mostly from DAZ store smiley, and some props I got from Poser contents.

Now here is my Fourth Picnic scene, adjusted the buildings position and stretched it a bit to fill more space, and rotated the far right one to show it's back side which I notices is more presentable than the other side wink. Adjusted the girl right leg, added some food and drinks, and finally the Yellow Butterfly if you can recognize it blush.

April2016-NUC-Spring Picnic 4.jpg
    916 x 672 - 613K
    posjon said:

Ok new pose added two lights one red, one green both spot lights. Also brought up the light intensity to 100%. So the first pic is how it comes out from a render. The second is the view I have from studio. I did a basic capture & created the jpg for this second pic. The thing is I would like to get my render's to come out with the same intensity of light which I for some reason am not obtaining. Any and all help is appreciated. :)

This looks better now, the pose looks good but you need to adjust the poking thru the rail bars issue, I'm not very expert with lights but maybe someone else can help you with this issue, but what I suggest is to replace the spot light with point light or linear point light.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    posjon said:

To help with lights it's needed to know what you are rendering with as lights work very differently in different engines. 3Delight, Iray, or something else?

h_habash, now that's what I call a picnic! smiley The houses works well to give the feeling of a picnic in a town park.

A funny thing with little details like birds and butterflies that bring that extra bit of life to an image, is that we might not notice them when they're there, but if they're missing we get the feeling that something is wrong.

edited April 2016
    isidorn said:

h_habash, now that's what I call a picnic! smiley The houses works well to give the feeling of a picnic in a town park.

A funny thing with little details like birds and butterflies that bring that extra bit of life to an image, is that we might not notice them when they're there, but if they're missing we get the feeling that something is wrong.

Thanks Isidorn, I've made an ants line between the basket and the flower, still not started the render yet, but I hope they'll look fine, also maybe if I could make it on time, I'll try to bring One more guest to the scene and see how it'll appear, I'm also thinking of adding some window flower boxes, wait for my next epesod soon laugh.

And by the way, maybe someone can help me with this, I'm not sure why the render resulution is not clear as I'm expecting, the Progressive render setting is as below:

Min Update Samples = 1, Update Interval (secs) = 5, Max Samples = 5000, Max Time (secs) = 7200, Rendering Quality Enable = On, Rendering Quality = 1, Rendering Converged Ratio = 95%. I've read earlier that this setting is the best to have a clear and nice render, unless I've missed something or maybe I didn't understand the idea frown.

Post edited by h_habash on
    edited April 2016

Now I think it's over with this scene, with the latest additional and changes I don't feel there should be extra items to be added to the scene, or any changes unless I've missed something important.

In this final Episode as I like to call, I've added a Squirrel on the left far tree, changed the Sparrows feather color to light yellow and changed one bird location, added the Ants and some Windows Flower Boxes to the buildings, hoping it'll add extra bonus to the scene.

April2016-NUC-Spring Picnic 5.jpg
    916 x 672 - 607K
  • SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited April 2016

Hi, very nice

Sorry I did not sign on with this soap on my picture;).
    I feel that the young man is "too" unbalanced. I think we should be straighten a little or make him really support the young lady with her elbow ... or I do not know how ... but I always feel that he can only fall ;)

For your resolution ... you have a lot of items so the 7200 seconds probably not enough to achieve the 95% ... You put how long to render?
    Otherwise, try can be with filter (noise)

Post edited by Siotrad on
    Siotrad said:

Hi, very nice

I feel that the young man is "too" unbalanced. I think we should be straighten a little or make him really support the young lady with her elbow ... or I do not know how ... but I always feel that he can only fall ;)

For your resolution ... you have a lot of items so the 7200 seconds probably not enough to achieve the 95% ... You put how long to render?

I understand your point Siotrad, and thanks for the advises, in regards to the male pose and balance, and this includes the whole scene as I indented to be a momentum shot  angel.

And for the resolution, the render time takes between 3 to 4 hours to complete, I'm not sure about the filter (noise), but I think I've read something about it long time a go I'll see if I can find it somewhere, I'll try to increase the seconds and see what result I will get.

Thanks again, yes

7200 seconds are 4 hours if I'm not mistaken. If you set the time to 0 seconds it will take as much time as it needs (until the other requirements are met) so you don't have to worry about that. I would also recommend putting the max samples slider all the way up to 15000. I've made plenty of renders where not even that has been enough and I've had to remove the limit for the max samples. (click that little cogwheel to the upper right of the slider). A render I'm doing now is currently at almost 17000 iterations and counting, with just below 93% converged. You could also try out increasing the render quality and raising converged ratio to 97-98%. I personally always do 97% but that's me. I have no idea if it's optimal or not. 100% converged ratio is apparently very bad though, so best to stay away from that. Increased Quality and converged ratio will of course increase render time, but with time set to 0 that won't be a problem and it will only be a matter of how patient you are to wait until it finishes.

I think the flower boxes by the windows is a stroke of genious. It's that kind of details that really brings out life to the environement. I don't think I would have figured out that the ants are ants if I hadn't known it already, but it's a fun detail for those smarter than me that would figure it out. smiley They might be a bit on the big side though, but any smaller and they might be too hard to find. So I don't know if they really needs to be changed. Perhaps if their trail went in front of the picnic basket and up the side of it, it could be more easily identified as ants? Could perhaps be worth trying?

But in the end, there comes a point when we have to call our project finished. Otherwise it's easy to keep adding stuff in until the render makes our computer explode.surprise

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    isidorn said:

7200 seconds are 4 hours if I'm not mistaken.

2 hrs...3600 seconds in an hour.

• SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    h_habash said:
    Siotrad said:

Hi, very nice

I understand your point Siotrad, and thanks for the advises, in regards to the male pose and balance, and this includes the whole scene as I indented to be a momentum shot  angel.

And for the resolution, the render time takes between 3 to 4 hours to complete, I'm not sure about the filter (noise), but I think I've read something about it long time a go I'll see if I can find it somewhere, I'll try to increase the seconds and see what result I will get.

Thanks again, yes

You can try the Isidorn settings ... even i think that you will have to be very patient ;)

You can see all the settings in the render tab - edit and filter for noise and progressive render for time

mjc1016 said:
    isidorn said:

7200 seconds are 4 hours if I'm not mistaken.

2 hrs...3600 seconds in an hour.

I stand corrected. I'll blame the fact I was newly awake.wink

isidorn said:

7200 seconds are 4 hours if I'm not mistaken. If you set the time to 0 seconds it will take as much time as it needs (until the other requirements are met) so you don't have to worry about that. I would also recommend putting the max samples slider all the way up to 15000. I've made plenty of renders where not even that has been enough and I've had to remove the limit for the max samples. (click that little cogwheel to the upper right of the slider). A render I'm doing now is currently at almost 17000 iterations and counting, with just below 93% converged. You could also try out increasing the render quality and raising converged ratio to 97-98%. I personally always do 97% but that's me. I have no idea if it's optimal or not. 100% converged ratio is apparently very bad though, so best to stay away from that. Increased Quality and converged ratio will of course increase render time, but with time set to 0 that won't be a problem and it will only be a matter of how patient you are to wait until it finishes.

I think the flower boxes by the windows is a stroke of genious. It's that kind of details that really brings out life to the environement. I don't think I would have figured out that the ants are ants if I hadn't known it already, but it's a fun detail for those smarter than me that would figure it out. smiley They might be a bit on the big side though, but any smaller and they might be too hard to find. So I don't know if they really needs to be changed. Perhaps if their trail went in front of the picnic basket and up the side of it, it could be more easily identified as ants? Could perhaps be worth trying?

But in the end, there comes a point when we have to call our project finished. Otherwise it's easy to keep adding stuff in until the render makes our computer explode.surprise

Thanks Isidorn for the valuable information, appreciate sharing with me your experiences, I will try it once I finish adjusting things I didn't notice in the last render. Defenetly this time the render will take a very long time to finish, I'll try with 0 Max Time, Render Quality 2, and Coveraged Ratio 97%. and will start the render before I go to bed tonight.

The ant's are not the normal ant as we know it angel, I've created several Cylinder Primatives with scale of 1cm changed the surface color to black, lined it in the way we see in the scene devil, I'll change their locations and see how they'll look in next render.

Siotrad said:
    h_habash said:
    Siotrad said:

Hi, very nice

Thanks again, yes

You can try the Isidorn settings ... even i think that you will have to be very patient ;)

You can see all the settings in the render tab - edit and filter for noise and progressive render for time

I'll defenetly try every things, I've already changed the filter setting and it did nice job on the trial render, thanks.Siotradyes

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Just thought I would pop my head in.  I like what I'm seeing so far in WIPs.  I still haven't thought about what I'm doing yet so no scenes put together to even try to render out yet. 

@posjon  I like the new pose and the camera angle.  Ditto what h_habash said on the poke thru on the legs and the rail.  As for lighting, what @isidorn said.  It would help to know which render engine you are using. If I had to guess, it looks like 3Delight, but I've been wrong before when trying to guess rendering engines.

@h_habash I really like where you are going with this picnic.  Great idea and you are pulling it off well so far.  Brilliant idea using cylinders for the ants!  you might try making them a little smaller, but they do look great as they are in the last image.  If I made any suggestions, I would move the bird slightly, turning him more toward the picnic like he was thinking of making a raid on the food.  I've had food stolen by birds and squirrels at picnics and they can be crafty little buggers!  I'm not familiar with that bird model.  If you can try turning his head so that it is cocked just a little and turn him in the direction of the food, I think it will add a little something more to the image.  Nice scene, though.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@h_habash - I notice your little bird in the water fountain trying to get a drink.  Your picnic is coming along very nicely.  I like the addition of the ants.  I also agree with isidorn in that even though you may not "see" something your subconcious is aware of it being there.

@posjon - I feel your frustration.  You have a great light setup you love but when you render it looks totally different.  The first thought I had, assuming this is a 3DL render, is it could be your shadow settings.  Can you provide a screen shot of your light setup? 

isidorn said:
    posjon said:

To help with lights it's needed to know what you are rendering with as lights work very differently in different engines. 3Delight, Iray, or something else?

Ok, I don't know off hand as I am new but will check & let you know. Thanks :)

@h_habash - I notice your little bird in the water fountain trying to get a drink.  Your picnic is coming along very nicely.  I like the addition of the ants.  I also agree with isidorn in that even though you may not "see" something your subconcious is aware of it being there.

@posjon - I feel your frustration.  You have a great light setup you love but when you render it looks totally different.  The first thought I had, assuming this is a 3DL render, is it could be your shadow settings.  Can you provide a screen shot of your light setup? 

Kismet2012 Thank you :) I added a screen shot hope it helps! Right now I really don't know I know I did install both the 3delight & Iray. but I have no idea how to tell I just used the tab for lights & added a spot light. Is there an easy way for me to tell which I am utilizing?

Lights.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 194K
    h_habash said:

Now I think it's over with this scene, with the latest additional and changes I don't feel there should be extra items to be added to the scene, or any changes unless I've missed something important.

In this final Episode as I like to call, I've added a Squirrel on the left far tree, changed the Sparrows feather color to light yellow and changed one bird location, added the Ants and some Windows Flower Boxes to the buildings, hoping it'll add extra bonus to the scene.

Yo! h_habash  I don't have anything to add about what you have done here :) except, Your attention to detail is outstanding! you have done a Great job!

• Here's two views of what I have to start with..

Not too sure which I should expand on though.

april2016a.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 598K
    april2016a2.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 585K