There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 3

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,028

Has anyone seen a Gift Card offer? I am also holding out for Mesh Grabber 4 and other things coming. But my 6 tokens expire tonight. 

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,283

So, it's just three days of the same, with nothing (not even new releases) to entice some last minute decision to buy after all? And all the D+faD items are $1 more expensive, so also no incentive to change one's mind about getting them. If I haven't decided to make a purchase yesterday, it's unlikely I'll do so today or tomorrow, because nothing has changed. I have a few tokens expiring, but with weekends like that, this actually encourages me to buy less, not more (because short-expiry tokens will go to waste on weekends like that).

But I suppose that if they're going this route, someone is buying, and I hope this means Daz is doing what's best for Daz, and as for me... there's always another sale.

• NathNath Posts: 2,769

With the summer sales at the other place and at Steam, I'm happy not being tempted by DAZ right now :-) 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,153
    edited June 29

This is not the finale I hoped for. It seems the sale goes out with more of a whimper than a bang. And everything @joanna said above.

And no, 50% off at the other store does not thrill me, though I may pick up a couple things that interest me there as I do have some unspent reward points and a coupon. Their stinginess avails them not - I spend less than 1/10th there that I do here. It wasn't always that way. I recall their whole-store sales used to be 70% off.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    Wagner 9 would have made for a satisfying enough end to the sale, but editorial content in the Pro bundle means that I'm not buying that bundle. It also means that I have no faith in future bundles. The token system was already a gamble (and a bit tiresome), but it was often worthwhile enough if one liked the bundles in general. But now? Even if the next bundle is free of EL items, the ones after it might include them again. Daz has established that possibility with this release.

All of which means that I have much less incentive to accrue a balance of tokens through the week - practically none. Short of getting rid of tokens (and adjusting prices to reflect their absence) or issuing an explicit promise to never include EL content in Daz Originals core bundles again, I don't know how Daz could repair the situation.

Maybe I'll scoop up future characters if/when they hit 95% off at some point. There are 50 previous G9 core figures and probably hundreds of PA characters to occupy me in the meantime, and all of G8 and G3 of course. But it is a shame - it feels like such an unnecessary and pushy thing on Daz's part.

doubledeviant said:

Maybe I'll scoop up future characters if/when they hit 95% off at some point. There are 50 previous G9 core figures and probably hundreds of PA characters to occupy me in the meantime, and all of G8 and G3 of course. But it is a shame - it feels like such an unnecessary and pushy thing on Daz's part.

I suspect the EL stuff has been really popular. Daz gets rewarded for including it, and it will likely be a part of some future bundles.

edited June 29
    Torquinox said:

doubledeviant said:

I suspect the EL stuff has been really popular. Daz gets rewarded for including it, and it will likely be a part of some future bundles.

If it was popular and selling well, why change things? The previous model served both those who want EL content and those who don't. This new model serves those who want EL content, but Daz loses the extra sales from the add-ons and possibly loses sales from customers put off by the EL content. And those of us who want additional licensing lose big-time:

Since my tokens expire today, I went ahead and carted items to verify the situation matched what I'd already estimated: It would cost $78.76 to buy and license the items that I'd definitely want from the Wagner release (forgoing some neat items of lesser interest). It would have only cost $48.71 if the EL content wasn't blocking bundle licensing.

Even without the licensing, it's $33.26 vs. $39.61 - a paltry $6 "savings" - which actually amounts to a higher cost per item, while not even getting those neat "nice-to-haves" that would be included with the bundle.

There's no way that I see to "vote" (with our wallets) against EL content being associated with core bundles without paying a worse price.

(Starter, Demon, Greater Demon, Dark Elf, and MM Hair were my "essentials" for the above numbers.)
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

i have 2 items in cart from WL... but with no incentives, they will sit for brighter days.

@doubledeviant I can only guess at what Daz is doing. I vote against all of it by not buying any of it. I doubt that has any real effect. The higher price is, itself, reason not to buy it. The bundled EL content is reason not to buy it. It's all G9, and I haven't committed to using G9. I've accumulated some freebies and a few items I needed to buy in order to get the deals on the items I actually wanted. See: March Madness. The rest of it? IDK. IDC! Wagner gives me a gag response. Not sure why. Some figures have that effect on me. I don't want it, even for free. That said, I hope you'll get the deals you want on the stuff you want. It'll probably just take some time. That's it.

edited June 29
    Torquinox said:

snip

Sorry if I came across as grouchy - it wasn't meant to be directed at you. Just annoyed with Daz and trying to convey the reason. I think G9 has been getting better from Van Helsing onward, and I was more-or-less fine with signaling my preferences by purchasing bundles but *not* EL add-ons, so this current situation irks me. I think my plan for the second half of the year might be something like "freebies and cheap Daz+ releases only, see how things shake out over the next dozen or so big releases". Have been heavily raiding the back catalog this year and should probably spend the time putting more of it to use, anyway. ;)
    Post edited by doubledeviant on

@doubledeviant It's all good! I understand the frustration. I sort of live in the back catalog. Amazing how much good stuff was made years ago! And more rendering would be good for me, too. enlightened

Non-sequitor: Lightning Deals says, "Here, have https://www.daz3d.com/nathan-9-hd-rebel-adventure-bundle for $ 11.52." 92% off. With https://www.daz3d.com/dd-pbr-gothic-lace-shaders-for-iray-vol-2, cart is exactly $11. On the face of it, should be no-brainer. IDK. Do I want/need? The pundits in the Nathan 9 thread seem not entirely thrilled with Nathan or his bundle - some love him though. I get a little of that Daniel Craig vibe off him despite sort-of Indiana Jones clothes and sort-of Nathan Fillion in his youth. I guess I'm the only one who sees that? *waffle* *waffle*

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

Torquinox said:

@doubledeviant It's all good! I understand the frustration. I sort of live in the back catalog. Amazing how much good stuff was made years ago! And more rendering would be good for me, too. enlightened

Non-sequitor: Lightning Deals says, "Here, have https://www.daz3d.com/nathan-9-hd-rebel-adventure-bundle for $ 11.52." 92% off. With https://www.daz3d.com/dd-pbr-gothic-lace-shaders-for-iray-vol-2, cart is exactly $11. On the face of it, should be no-brainer. IDK. Do I want/need? The pundits in the Nathan 9 thread seem not entirely thrilled with Nathan or his bundle - some love him though. I get a little of that Daniel Craig vibe off him despite sort-of Indiana Jones clothes and sort-of Nathan Fillion in his youth. I guess I'm the only one who sees that? *waffle* *waffle*

i wish i would get a decent bundle deal ..right now I have a couple things at 94% off from the way back machine. That's how most of my LD are. Useless.  

daveso said:

i wish i would get a decent bundle deal ..right now I have a couple things at 94% off from the way back machine. That's how most of my LD are. Useless.  

Sorry to hear that. I don;t know the secret. I do know, I don;t really have the prerequisites for properly using G9 figures and I don;t have a coupon, so I think I'm letting this one go. Would send to you if I could.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 716

Torquinox said:

The pundits in the Nathan 9 thread seem not entirely thrilled with Nathan or his bundle - some love him though. I get a little of that Daniel Craig vibe off him despite sort-of Indiana Jones clothes and sort-of Nathan Fillion in his youth. I guess I'm the only one who sees that? *waffle* *waffle*

I'd agree with the beardless versions looking reminiscent of Nathan Fillion in earlier years of Castle and before that. (He's one of the few actors I actually recognize by both name and sight.)

Torquinox said:

I don;t know the secret. I do know, I don;t really have the prerequisites for properly using G9 figures and I don;t have a coupon, so I think I'm letting this one go. Would send to you if I could.

Ahhhh... but maybe that IS the secret! Whatever it is we're all least likely to use... that's what we get!  

SilverGirl said:

Torquinox said:

I don;t know the secret. I do know, I don;t really have the prerequisites for properly using G9 figures and I don;t have a coupon, so I think I'm letting this one go. Would send to you if I could.

Ahhhh... but maybe that IS the secret! Whatever it is we're all least likely to use... that's what we get!  

That's not true - At least for me. I've got some outstanding swag off of LD! I don't understand how I've been offered so much good stuff and other people say they get nothing worth having.

SilverGirl said:

Torquinox said:

The pundits in the Nathan 9 thread seem not entirely thrilled with Nathan or his bundle - some love him though. I get a little of that Daniel Craig vibe off him despite sort-of Indiana Jones clothes and sort-of Nathan Fillion in his youth. I guess I'm the only one who sees that? *waffle* *waffle*

I'd agree with the beardless versions looking reminiscent of Nathan Fillion in earlier years of Castle and before that. (He's one of the few actors I actually recognize by both name and sight.)

Thank you! Glad to know it's not just me. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited June 29

Nath said:

With the summer sales at the other place and at Steam, I'm happy not being tempted by DAZ right now :-) 

..yeah, I received an email yesterday that basically, my entire wishlist there was on sale. 

Torquinox said:

SilverGirl said:

Torquinox said:

That's not true - At least for me. I've got some outstanding swag off of LD! I don't understand how I've been offered so much good stuff and other people say they get nothing worth having.

...for the most part all I seem to get on the LDs are textures for clothing I don't have, skimpwear,  and old stuff like from the Gen4  era 

Then again, I don't spend much time on the Daz site these days as I have other matters to pursue.. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Torquinox said:

SilverGirl said:

Torquinox said:

Thank you! Glad to know it's not just me. 

And thank *you*... I'd kind of given him a cursory look and moved on when he came out because much as I adore Nathan Fillion as an actor, the aesthetic didn't fill any gaps for my character needs. Taking a look at his thread on the forums, though, it looks like mixing him with some others might prove useful. I don't have much of a gene pool, so that's an aspect of Daz I haven't played around with yet. He's wishlisted now.

@SilverGirl Excellent! cool

kyoto kid said:

...for the most part all I seem to get on the LDs are textures for clothing I don't have, skimpwear,  and old stuff like from the Gen4  era 

Then again, I don't spend much time on the Daz site these days as I have other matters to pursue.. 

I check the deals regularly on my phone, so I see most of them. I miss some while I'm sleeping. That could make a difference. Also, it's possible I ignore the junk that fills it for days at a time and only consider the really good offers. It's just that, I've had enough really good offers that I do love LDs. And it might be worth keeping Daz+ to keep the extra discount on LDs because the effect of Daz+ and of big sales makes the LD pricing extra shiny - I found I can apply coupons to LD items and the prices sometimes stack with other deals. As an enticement to buy, it can be pretty cool.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

..I don't bother with the phone app .Too small a screen and thus too much scrolling around.

Torquinox said:

Since I skipped the Wagner bundle due to the EL content, I decided to make a small cart of mostly Daz+ items with my expiring tokens. Added 11 items to my cart and ended up at $9.99, exactly one cent away from a token... I'll take it as a sign from the universe saying "Good, stay out of the token game and just say 'No' to EL-content bundles!" ;)
    999.png
    1080 x 2400 - 320K
  • theflarftheflarf Posts: 136

Considering I don't like G9, especially this Wagner stuff, it's not a great selection to be 'stuck' with for a few days as the still new things

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,182

I am really p**** at the moment. Had a $84 cart after tokens and with my DAZ+ coupon I did not use within the month.
    Then my tokens had been removed 1h before end of countdown. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

Saving money this weekend

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,684

So it's really literally the same offers today, huh? Weird tactic, but well, okay ... Off to play I go laugh

• mdingmding Posts: 1,205

tsroemi said:

So it's really literally the same offers today, huh? Weird tactic, but well, okay ... Off to play I go laugh

Not exactly,  the PAs or at least what they put on sale does vary. Today I was glad to find several items, which weren't on sale yesterday.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,684

mding said:

tsroemi said:

Not exactly,  the PAs or at least what they put on sale does vary. Today I was glad to find several items, which weren't on sale yesterday.

Yes and thank you, I just came back to report the same thing after checking my wishlist and seeing that much more was on sale than yesterday. That's a nice thing! So guys, it might be worth to check back wirh your WL today.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

tsroemi said:

mding said:

tsroemi said:

Yes and thank you, I just came back to report the same thing after checking my wishlist and seeing that much more was on sale than yesterday. That's a nice thing! So guys, it might be worth to check back wirh your WL today.

Not a good idea... 
    112 items for $111.76 at 95% off (with 8 tokens) after just 4 pages at 120 items per page

Need to start trimming down

Lightning Deals are showing 93-96% off, instead of the previous 80% off