Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

...and I got them backangry

I'm out of here!

• edited February 23

No ad blockers for Silk (Fire tablet browser) nor other browsers that work on my tablet. Grrrrr. So I am stuck with the ads, I guess.

Guess I will stop visiting the forums or gallery unless I am on my laptop, where I do have ad blocker plus. But I don't use the laptop for browsing often.

Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,087

Richard Haseltine said:

But daz won't see the reports of ads that are not offensive in their own right, rather than for being ads at all, or breaking the ToS - so again, flooding us with reports of every ad won't do anything to persuade Daz to stop running them.

Reporting them not only doesn't get rid of the problem (ads in the gallery, offensive or not), but it also puts the responsibility of perpetuating the unwanted feature on the users. Basically Daz is giving us something we don't like and on top of that expecting us to do the work making sure the ads don't breach their own ToS. To me, there's no incentive to report offensive ads. All of them are offending my aesthetics and idea of a good business.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,923

being a DAZ+ member should mean an Ad free experience like any subscription service 

if they want to do this properly angry

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,355

WendyLuvsCatz said:

being a DAZ+ member should mean an Ad free experience like any subscription service 

Great suggestion.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,273

Charlie Judge said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Great suggestion.

2nd 

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963
    For what it's worth, I'd find "ad free" as a subscription bonus to be even worse than the ads as they are. And I'm already not happy with them. Just hope they last even less time than the last few attempts at bringing in some extra cash. Or maybe it's for the best if it keeps me off the forums!
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

If everyone has stopped spending money like I keep reading here for this reason and that reason, it makes sense that they need to make up money from somewhere. Am I in favor of it? Nope but since finding out a few weeks ago the bread and butter of my freelance animation work is being taken over by AI, it's time to switch careers again and my spending will drastically dwindle due to uncertain finances and just needing stuff for personal projects which I already have the most needed for the film I want to do. So if this is how they make up for the thousands I'm not going to be spending, so be it. Doesn't mean I'll look at anything but whatever floats their boat at this point. 

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

frank0314 said:

Like the great majority of websites on the internet have learned? I can't go to a site without ads. I just have to live with it and today's business practices. Whatever the leaders in the industry do, the others will fall in line. Do we have to like it? No, but inevitably have to live with it unless we give up online services.

I think part of the issue with these ads specifically is that they're literal clickbait, i.e., largely not advertising any products and more on the "GIRL RESCUES DOG, WHEN SHE CALL THE VET HE SAYS 'GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!!!'..." end of things. All they want from you is a click because that's how their client pays them, and they're hoping you're morbidly curious enough to want to see how someone's toenails get that gross or what was wrong with the dog or who some D-list celebrity is dating. Sure, lots of websites use these. It is also basically plastering your storefront with signs that say "Gullible Marks Click Here" and inviting your users to do that.

But you're absolutely right—Daz is no better than any other company.

• just another thing tried and did with some great difficulty post in sales thread about wrong prices and added screenshots and these ads make it hard to see what your doing or able to locate see theupload button and attatchments and couldn't see my post properloy

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,435

On Firefox,  I can see the allocated space where the ad would be, but both NoScript and AdBlocker are doing their jobs. 

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,488

I see no ads and no spaces for ads on Google Chrome using the typical adblock extensions.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

I disabled Adblock Plus to see what ads were being served - I got a bedding ad - not interested, but benign - and several non-ads that wanted me to click on a link for a manual or to start an install for a "converter", name and type unspecified.

I will never click on an unknown link.

I also see that the ads are coming from google.ads.doubleclick - and that's when I realized I hadn't installed Privoxy on this laptop.

Privoxy is now installed - it blocks, out of the box, all access to <anything>.ads.<anything> and suppresses all 1X1 transparent gif trackers.

Now a  further thought -

The Gallery serves as an example of what can be done with products purchased here; the forum provides much needed support, especially for new users, as well as an excellent collection of how-to and what-can-be-done-with topics. Third party ads are interfering with the function of both. Daz is a retail sales outlet; if there is a financing issue for the free ads from user posts in the forum or gallery raise the prices on the items being sold here.

I realize this will cause problems and negative feedback, so it's a tradeoff - how many sales get lost from higher prices or how many sales get lost because people leave due to the ads.

I do not suggest changing the continuous sale/discount model currently in use. J C Penney tried that and they never recovered from the loss of customers.

As for me - if I can block the ads I don't care - but I do not frequent web sites with unblockable ads.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,355

I'm not sure what is up. The ads seem to be an on-again off-again sort of thing. For me they were off for awhile yesterday and then returned with a vengnce making the forums nearly unuseable. Right now I am again not seeing any ads.

• Charlie Judge said:

I'm not sure what is up. The ads seem to be an on-again off-again sort of thing. For me they were off for awhile yesterday and then returned with a vengnce making the forums nearly unuseable. Right now I am again not seeing any ads.

I am not right now either. 

• OK, so I will not post in anger this time.

Given the attempt at NFTs, the continued lackluster implementation of Editorial License (we NEED a way to sort it), and now the advertising (which I did NOT consent to on the content I posted)...

I am taking a sabattical from making 3D portraiture as a hobby. I will probably reinvigorate another one of my hobbies in place of this one.

I intend to not purchase any further content from DAZ3D or their artists.

I intend to delete my Gallery content this weekend; I've already set everything to Unpublished there.

I will not be back here in the foreseeable future.

It is clear I am not a customer, I am product to be sold.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited February 24

LynnInDenver said:

I'm retired with a graduate background research.  Doesn't take fancy schooling though.   You didn't ask, but I'm going to share some observations.

In my estimate, all lf us are both consumers and our behavior as consumers is a commody.  Purchases can be analyzed.  "This person might like Sci-Fi as evidenced by purchasing  x, y, & z.    Where does the customer live?  What time is he or she active on the net?  From what kind of device?"   The list could go on. 

So I backed off and looked at the topic from a research standpoint.  (skip to conclusion if want to)

--

Qualitative research is just listening to people or in this case reading.   It looks for common themes or trends.

1. Members have stated they do not like ads in the gallery for a number of reasons.  The most prevalent appears to be that members do not want to share their gallery with friends and family if the gallery is has been made (subjectively) less pleasant with advertising.

2. Members have stated they do not like advertising on the forum itself.  The most prevalent reason given appears to be a poor UX (end user exerience) where ads are distracting.

3. Members have alleged some of the advertising is inappropriate as evidenced by its content or lack of content.  Inappropriate content might be considered as adult themed, while lack of content might be referred to by some as 'click bait' -- i.e. the ad does not lead to a retailer but attempts to elicit information.

So we have a sample size (number of posts) of >100 rounded down to 100.   (Let N=100) We have three trends and more than enough triangulation.  (three people-- each from their own perspective saying the same thing.  example might be 3 people witness a car crash.  Each would have his or her own perspective which, when taken together, provides more insight into what happened.

We can now move to what's called a 'qual-quan' approach and use some math.  Qualitative can't be used to generalize while Quantitaive (numbers) can.

That's where a refutable hypothesis comes in.   To make statement, we have to disprove the opposite.

"Forum members generally like the idea of advertising in the gallery and on the forum." (refutable hypothesis)

We have to set a statistical threshold to make sure that our final statement isn't a something that could happen by chance and chance alone.  A fluke or a mistake as it were.  That's called Alpha --  a sort of burdon of proof.   We can make it too easy to refute and it might be true.  (Type one error)   We might be too cauteous and and say it's true when it's really false (Type II error)   .10 is usually a good starting point

So...  

----

"Forum members generally do not like the idea of advertising in the gallery and on the forum. N=100 (p < .10)"

What the company will do with that information is unknown because replies from DAZ employees are less than 30, and only two appear to be involved with one exception.  Three DAZ employees have asked or instructed members to report inapproprite ads through an e-mail address or direct message.

Bottom line.  The odds of 100 members posting that they don't like ads is less than one tenth of one percent of what could occur by chance and chance alone.  

Be interesting to see what the company does or does not do about it.  A trusism to say they've got access to much more information than I do!

---
    edited for spelling

Post edited by Tynkere on

Just checking - ad for Dynatrace - "Simplify cloud complexity and innovate faster and more securely with the only analytics and automation platform powered by causal AI."

I predict the user community for this item here in the Daz forums to be significantly less than a fraction of one percent.

It's one thing to provide intrusive and unwanted ads for something affordable that a small fraction of the population might have a use for - but to provide unwanted ads for products that are of no use to any part of the audience is sheer stupidity.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

I can now see only two lines of forum text when the giant ad is on the bottom of the screen. nono

Screenshot_20240224_023418_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 644K
  • is it possible at least to make it so the ads don't make it difficult to navigate see the forums and gallery make them smaller taking up less space it is after all your website not googles so we would think you have some control over it if your going to allow this advertising even trying to find the right discussion thread is awked to do as well as posting attatchments very easy for us to make a mistake you wont like that is not a threat btw but it can happen when we have trouble seeing what we are doing lol just seeing an ad pushing AI usage

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263
    edited February 24

namffuak said:

Just checking - ad for Dynatrace - "Simplify cloud complexity and innovate faster and more securely with the only analytics and automation platform powered by causal AI."

I predict the user community for this item here in the Daz forums to be significantly less than a fraction of one percent.

It's one thing to provide intrusive and unwanted ads for something affordable that a small fraction of the population might have a use for - but to provide unwanted ads for products that are of no use to any part of the audience is sheer stupidity.

I don't have the faintest idea what an oligonucleotide is, much less have any use for them.

nucleowhat.PNG
    1322 x 227 - 191K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,341

It seems that Daz hugely underestimates the cultural level of its customers.

Fortunately, I don't see these trash ads (that's what they seem to be) yet, but if I do, I'll activate my adblocker immediately. At least Daz+ members should be protected from such harassment.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,655
    edited February 24

Without this thread, I never would have known. Definitely add something to your browsers! It makes the web a lot more pleasant.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • With the ads it all looks so super unprofessional and cheap, the whole “high-quality" flair is lost. Just for a few dollars...no

Can someone recommend other galleries that revolve around Daz? Do Deviantart, Instagram and Co. have their own areas/communities/tags for Daz renderings? I just clicked through the 3D art section on deviantart, but somehow they are 90% AI images and not 3D renderings, but maybe I just can't see all filters without an account. Whats the best alternatives to see others Daz renders?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,903
    edited February 24

Looks like some sellers are desperate...

advert20240224.jpg
    1398 x 691 - 175K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Tynkere said:

LynnInDenver said:

I'm retired with a graduate background research.  Doesn't take fancy schooling though.   You didn't ask, but I'm going to share some observations.

In my estimate, all lf us are both consumers and our behavior as consumers is a commody.  Purchases can be analyzed.  "This person might like Sci-Fi as evidenced by purchasing  x, y, & z.    Where does the customer live?  What time is he or she active on the net?  From what kind of device?"   The list could go on. 

So I backed off and looked at the topic from a research standpoint.  (skip to conclusion if want to)

--

Qualitative research is just listening to people or in this case reading.   It looks for common themes or trends.

1. Members have stated they do not like ads in the gallery for a number of reasons.  The most prevalent appears to be that members do not want to share their gallery with friends and family if the gallery is has been made (subjectively) less pleasant with advertising.

2. Members have stated they do not like advertising on the forum itself.  The most prevalent reason given appears to be a poor UX (end user exerience) where ads are distracting.

3. Members have alleged some of the advertising is inappropriate as evidenced by its content or lack of content.  Inappropriate content might be considered as adult themed, while lack of content might be referred to by some as 'click bait' -- i.e. the ad does not lead to a retailer but attempts to elicit information.

So we have a sample size (number of posts) of >100 rounded down to 100.   (Let N=100) We have three trends and more than enough triangulation.  (three people-- each from their own perspective saying the same thing.  example might be 3 people witness a car crash.  Each would have his or her own perspective which, when taken together, provides more insight into what happened.

We can now move to what's called a 'qual-quan' approach and use some math.  Qualitative can't be used to generalize while Quantitaive (numbers) can.

That's where a refutable hypothesis comes in.   To make statement, we have to disprove the opposite.

"Forum members generally like the idea of advertising in the gallery and on the forum." (refutable hypothesis)

We have to set a statistical threshold to make sure that our final statement isn't a something that could happen by chance and chance alone.  A fluke or a mistake as it were.  That's called Alpha --  a sort of burdon of proof.   We can make it too easy to refute and it might be true.  (Type one error)   We might be too cauteous and and say it's true when it's really false (Type II error)   .10 is usually a good starting point

So...  

----

"Forum members generally do not like the idea of advertising in the gallery and on the forum. N=100 (p < .10)"

What the company will do with that information is unknown because replies from DAZ employees are less than 30, and only two appear to be involved with one exception.  Three DAZ employees have asked or instructed members to report inapproprite ads through an e-mail address or direct message.

Bottom line.  The odds of 100 members posting that they don't like ads is less than one tenth of one percent of what could occur by chance and chance alone.  

Be interesting to see what the company does or does not do about it.  A trusism to say they've got access to much more information than I do!

---
    edited for spelling

It's currently between 145 comments, but many people have made more than one comment. Still, I don't think there was any expectation that people would like ads - I doubt the staff at Daz do, either. We have been relaying feedback and i am sure that the whole thing will be reviewed to see how it is working out and what changes might be beneficial.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited February 24

Richard Haseltine said:

It's currently between 145 comments, but many people have made more than one comment. Still, I don't think there was any expectation that people would like ads - I doubt the staff at Daz do, either. We have been relaying feedback and i am sure that the whole thing will be reviewed to see how it is working out and what changes might be beneficial.

Thanks for reply.  In the end, I suppose tweaking the size, placement, and content of the ads is really the only thing that can be expected.   The decision to use ads has been made; I seriously doubt upper management will reverse that decision.   

I'm sure this hasn't been pleasant for you, "DAZ Cris" or "DAZ Frank" -- so here's thanking the three of you for having to do a proverbial thankless job.

kind regards & best wishes

Post edited by Tynkere on

Richard - some thoughts.

First of all - has any real cost/benefit analysis been done? Daz knows (should know) how many views the forum gets every hour/day; how much revenue will ads briing in, and how much would store prices need to be increased to meet or exceed this revennue?

Second - the gallery is free advertising for the products Daz actually sells; covering the free advertising up with electronic grafitti deracts from the art, drives viewers away, and, as we've already seen, drives the artists away.

Third - this is an ideal targeted market of artists and content creators; pushing random unrelated junk at us just irritates us; the ads need to be for usable, affordable items to get us to put up with them.

Fourth - the ads also need to be unobtrusive; that massive overlay Barbult posted is a complete antagonising show stopper.

On a personal note - I use ad blockers. If I ever get a popup here telling me I need to disable my ad blocker to continue I will immediately close out whatever store credit I have and leave - permanently.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

....using AdBlock+ and not seeing them,   

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,445

barbult said:

I can now see only two lines of forum text when the giant ad is on the bottom of the screen. nono

Is that from a phone or other mobile device and if so what, so we can send it in?