Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

so far on PC Chrome with AdBlock OK but I am glad I do own so much content already because if they insist on disabling AdBlock like many sites I will cease coming here

certainly won't now on my iPad, will be removing my bookmarks

uBlock Origin works on sites that AdBlock doesn't.

• AdBlock doesn't take care of the underlying issue, which is that the user has zero control over wihch third parties Daz pass your information to, a big part of GDPR compliance. Maybe not a big deal to people outside the EU, but still.

• PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 793

WOW used an incognito browser to look at the forums without ublock and I got an advert for an adult entertainment site WTF absolutley no point telling people to have modest images in the gallery and then have that pop up!

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Well I feel it's me against the rest of the world again. We will rant and complain for a while until this has become the new norm, then it's back to business as usual...

I'd love to see some ACTION and INITIATIVE here, quite frankly!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,559

Pitmatic said:

WOW used an incognito browser to look at the forums without ublock and I got an advert for an adult entertainment site WTF absolutley no point telling people to have modest images in the gallery and then have that pop up!

Maybe they have updated TOS to allow such content cheeky 

• edited February 22

I do not see them with firefox (have an adblocker there) but I see them with chrome - for me it is an absolutely NO GO! I hope this stops immidiatly.

Post edited by Immersive-DreamWorld on
  • namffuak said:

Running Firefox with Adblock  Plus and not seeing ads. Disabled it and got prompts to install a password manager and a YouTube downloader - not ads as such, but they took up real estate on the page.

Yikes. Be very very careful with that sort of stuff. That's a common route used to trick you into installing malware on your computer, and that leads to all sorts of nasty things happening. One of the reasons why I block ads, or avoid sites where I can't block them.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Pitmatic said:

Could you possibly screenshot for us if you get an ad like that again? 

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 643
    edited February 22

Even though I don't use the Store very much any more (don't care for G9) I usually came here to the forums every day to keep up with the 3D world. There are many very knowledgable folks here and I've learned a lot about Daz Studio plus the wider world of 3D rendering.

But this sort of [stuff] will inevitably push users away and the value of the forums will decrease, which will lead to the classic "death spiral". I guess it's time to find other forums to join.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ColinFrench said:

Even though I don't use the Store very much any more (don't care for G9) I usually came here to the forums every day to keep up with the 3D world. There are many very knowledgable folks here and I've learned a lot about Daz Studio plus the wider world of 3D rendering.

But this sort of [stuff] will inevitably push users away and the value of the forums will decrease, which will lead to the classic "death spiral". I guess it's time to find other forums to join.

Because social media sites are ad-free?

• Korpin.Sulat said:

If they're going to be using third-party ads, now it's mandatory that they finally comply with GDPR. Full stop.

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

lol well I just clicked your thread to read and above your post is an ad from one of our Australian music stores guess this place is becoming facebook because I had to submit personal details of where I live including my street address why do they need this unless like facebook they sell our infomation now too which would explain the ads 

Wonderland said:

It is using some kind of tracking software. I got ads about something mentioning California (where I live) and pet supplies after I had recently shopped online at Chewy. But I have no idea why I got a sleazy ad about Kelly Anne Conway! I follow a lot of politics but I have no interest in that woman's sex life! Anyway, blocked now. 

Korpin.Sulat said:

AdBlock doesn't take care of the underlying issue, which is that the user has zero control over wihch third parties Daz pass your information to, a big part of GDPR compliance. Maybe not a big deal to people outside the EU, but still.

There seems to be a misapprehension that Daz has written its own ad server, populated by people it has contacted and using Daz's data. These are Google ads, as far as I know all Daz does is provide a slot which Google populates with info based on its profile of you (or a generic profile if you have done a good job of blocking it). None of your Daz data is being shared directly, nor is daz responsible for any data requests that pop-up from clicking on an ad. Google knows where the slot is, to pay Daz (for any click-through, rather than raw views, I believe) but all the tracking and data mining is done by, and jealously guarded by, Google.

Cris Palomino said:

Pitmatic said:

Now this pops up on incognito mode a lot and similar adds one of which did have someone looking for their contact lenses 

I am a sad old internet user i am not "interesting" and tend to look art art sites print publishing and design stuff, tanks and plane restorations and stuff about cars (sometimes i dabble in trains dont tell anyone!) which youtube thinks means I am right wing and want to watch opinion channels of people wearing tin hats and I get a lot of adds for soap powder.

I like chocolate but never get adds for them

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,270

Google was hit with a lawsuit alleging it stole data from millions of users to train its AI tools. I will never click on an ad here. Nor anywhere else. If it is based on individual searches, then a person who searches for any offensive sites, I do believe they will see adult-type ads.

DAZ does have this right to push ads, even if we don't like the practice. It may cheapen some of the user experience, but that is their right to cheapen the enjoyment of their Websites.

• Pitmatic said:

Cris Palomino said:

Pitmatic said:

Now this pops up on incognito mode a lot and similar adds one of which did have someone looking for their contact lenses 

I am a sad old internet user i am not "interesting" and tend to look art art sites print publishing and design stuff, tanks and plane restorations and stuff about cars (sometimes i dabble in trains dont tell anyone!) which youtube thinks means I am right wing and want to watch opinion channels of people wearing tin hats and I get a lot of adds for soap powder.

In a private window, depending on just how good it is at blocking Google (or how willing Google is to act as if blocked), you are going to get generic ads. If you get adult or otherwise iffy ads, privately or when using your own ID, please send the details to us (via a forum post or a PM) and we will flag them for Daz, who can block specific ads.

• Richard Haseltine said:

ColinFrench said:

The general snark of that doesn't sit well coming from staff.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,355

I can understanding DAZ using ads to support what is otherwise free to the user. And having ads at the top and bottom of the forums was at least tolerable but now that ads are floating and block a portion of what I am trying to read it is becoming really intrusive. 

• In the forum I am ok with it. A company wants to make money.

In the gallery.. it is way too distracting.

• One of the reasons I liked coming here to the forums is the lack of adverts. They are horrifically intrusive on many sites. My local newspaper (Kent Messenger) blocks browsers using adblocker & then makes it impossible to read articles due to intrusive adverts. Net result is I don't visit & I don't buy the paper like I used to because I'm so irritated by the adverts online.

It is an honest lesson for DAZ to learn.

Regards,

Richard.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

richardandtracy said:

One of the reasons I liked coming here to the forums is the lack of adverts. They are horrifically intrusive on many sites. My local newspaper (Kent Messenger) blocks browsers using adblocker & then makes it impossible to read articles due to intrusive adverts. Net result is I don't visit & I don't buy the paper like I used to because I'm so irritated by the adverts online.

Regards,

Richard.

Like the great majority of websites on the internet have learned? I can't go to a site without ads. I just have to live with it and today's business practices. Whatever the leaders in the industry do, the others will fall in line. Do we have to like it? No, but inevitably have to live with it unless we give up online services.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Ipad pro using DDG.  Not seeing any ads on forum.  On a win-10 desktop, ad-blocker seems to work but just tried posting a render to a contest.   Cloudfare msg saying  (504?) Daz3D.com server error.   

Are they related?  Load ads.  Unable.  Load ads.  Unable.  Load ads.  Timeout.  Cloudfare: "DAZ3D.com is not responding."

---

I usually don't complain because it's pointless, but perhaps management needs to re-evaluate.  No active DAZ forum would be irreplabable loss of collective memory in my opinion.  DAZ would lose revenue if casual users are unable or unwilling to ask about products, get help & so on. 

The sad part is that I doubt upper management gives a flick about its established customer base.  There's always new customers and new customers probably tend to buy more as they fill runtime library.   Just my two cents. I hope I'm mistaken and being too cynical.  : /

Richard Haseltine said:

Pitmatic said:

Cris Palomino said:

Pitmatic said:

In a private window, depending on just how good it is at blocking Google (or how willing Google is to act as if blocked), you are going to get generic ads. If you get adult or otherwise iffy ads, privately or when using your own ID, please send the details to us (via a forum post or a PM) and we will flag them for Daz, who can block specific ads.

Richard thats the thing in a private window i get genric adds for soap powder, cars, films and ring doorbell clones going to to other websites but here i get "different" adds its almost as though the google algorhythmy wotsit is making a judgement based on what people might do with what this websote sells and frankly an AI system looking at the catalog would assume most of the use cases are in that ballpark.

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190

The best way to get rid of all those ads is to install a (local) netwerk-wide ad-blocker.
    That means all ads will be blocked on all your devices ( desktop, tablet, phone, ...) and
    no matter what browser you are using.

Months ago I installed a Raspberry Pi with Pi-hole on it. No more ads for me.

The only thing I have to done is to update the gravity-list (aka blacklist) on a weekly bases.
    The current gravity list contains over 150,000 entries (ip-addresses).

https://pi-hole.net/
    https://thepihut.com/products/official-pi-hole-raspberry-pi-4-kit
    https://www.amazon.com/pihole-kit/s?k=pihole+kit

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

Richard Haseltine said:

ColinFrench said:

social media sites don't sell a product to their users, so they make money off of their users habits to advertisers. DAZ3D is a company selling a product to its users, as you may be aware, so advertising that is NOT advertising their own products comes across differently.

• AlmightyQUEST said:

Richard Haseltine said:

ColinFrench said:

social media sites don't sell a product to their users, so they make money off of their users habits to advertisers. DAZ3D is a company selling a product to its users, as you may be aware, so advertising that is NOT advertising their own products comes across differently.

True. I wouldn't be concerned about ads for Daz store stuff while cruising through the Daz store forums. But the third party ads - especially, but not limited to, the really gross ones - are horribly distracting in the gallery, which should be a respectful place for users to showcase their creations. We paid a lot of money to buy this stuff to make cool renders with it. Please don't embarrass me into not sharing my work with outsiders and newbies. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098

Wonderland said:

Daz is forcing ads on us now in the forums? Another one is on top of this page!

So classy...

Classy and...family friendly! 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098

Korpin.Sulat said:

Richard Haseltine said:

ColinFrench said:

The general snark of that doesn't sit well coming from staff.

Agreed! 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,818
    edited February 22

So, this is not a hack?!

I don't like it.

Will look for an ad blocker.

EDIT:
    Yup, done, works.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,919
    edited February 22

on iPad using Firefox app with strict privacy 

finally ad free

it was showing the same ads before I enabled that, guess this is now my browser for DAZ

just maybe if it were NOT ads for stuff I never would click by choice angry

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812

frank0314 said:

richardandtracy said:

One of the reasons I liked coming here to the forums is the lack of adverts. They are horrifically intrusive on many sites. My local newspaper (Kent Messenger) blocks browsers using adblocker & then makes it impossible to read articles due to intrusive adverts. Net result is I don't visit & I don't buy the paper like I used to because I'm so irritated by the adverts online.

Regards,

Richard.

Like the great majority of websites on the internet have learned? I can't go to a site without ads. I just have to live with it and today's business practices. Whatever the leaders in the industry do, the others will fall in line. Do we have to like it? No, but inevitably have to live with it unless we give up online services.

frank0314,

Respectfully, let's get ourselves grounded here. Comparing the traffic on the Daz Forum between pre-, in- and post-pandemic, we've all seen a drop. That is, people do "give up online services". Granted that community traffic is part of the lifeblood for Daz, do pop up ads encourage people to stay? Do they grow visitor traffic? Do they promote adoption of the Daz ecosystem? This is the feedback we're giving you -- it doesn't do us any good on that front.

Sure, ads bring revenue, a bonus during lean times. We acknowledge that this good for Daz. But do things have to be a false choice between no advertisement versus out-of-control advertisement? Couldn't we have more tageted scheme. For example: (a) only ads promoting Daz products; or ads only in the Forum and not, say, the Gallery. Some sites (eg. Instagram) have sophisted ad-opt outs that let the account holder shape the ads they see. If this were feasible, couldn't we have one like that too?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

If anyone is seeing inappropriate or against the TOS ads please screenshot them and send them to us either through PM or [email protected] so we can report them and have them removed.