Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,467

I use MS Edge, now complete with its copilot AI thing, which will be shut off asap, but I see no ads. Its based on "chrome", so adblock plus works...and it does work. There are more and more sites that will not allow you to access if using an ad blocker though. Free internet is going the way of the dodo bird. Its all about the cashflow. Yeah, it costs money to keep it all running, website setup and maintenance, server use, etc etc. but there should an understanding that most of their revenue comes from the customers? Keep em happy. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    edited February 24

frank0314 said:

barbult said:

I can now see only two lines of forum text when the giant ad is on the bottom of the screen. nono

Is that from a phone or other mobile device and if so what, so we can send it in?

That is from a Samsung S21 Ultra phone. I am using the Samsung Internet browser, which worked great for the Daz forum until Daz implemented ads.
    Here is another instance of giant ads (same phone a short time later), this time I was attempting to to reply to a message and I can't see any actual message text at all. There are two ads which cover almost the entire screen.

Screenshot_20240224_044241_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 873K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

frank0314 said:

barbult said:

I can now see only two lines of forum text when the giant ad is on the bottom of the screen. nono

Is that from a phone or other mobile device and if so what, so we can send it in?

That is from a Samsung S21 Ultra phone. I am using the Samsung Internet browser, which worked great for the Daz forum until Daz implemented ads.
    Here is another instance of giant ads (same phone a short time later), this time I was attempting to to reply to a message and I can't see any actual message text at all. There are two ads which cover almost the entire screen.

Thanks, I did pass your previous post on and I have added this one and the details of the device.

• namffuak said:

Richard - some thoughts.

First of all - has any real cost/benefit analysis been done? Daz knows (should know) how many views the forum gets every hour/day; how much revenue will ads briing in, and how much would store prices need to be increased to meet or exceed this revennue?

I'm sure they are monitoring and will do an in-depth review, though possibly not until it has run for a reasonable test period.

Second - the gallery is free advertising for the products Daz actually sells; covering the free advertising up with electronic grafitti deracts from the art, drives viewers away, and, as we've already seen, drives the artists away.

Third - this is an ideal targeted market of artists and content creators; pushing random unrelated junk at us just irritates us; the ads need to be for usable, affordable items to get us to put up with them.

I am not sure how much control, beyond blocking certain categories or specific ads, daz has over the Google system. Beyond any exclusions, what is shown will depend on how Daz is classed and categorised by the Google system.

Fourth - the ads also need to be unobtrusive; that massive overlay Barbult posted is a complete antagonising show stopper.

On a personal note - I use ad blockers. If I ever get a popup here telling me I need to disable my ad blocker to continue I will immediately close out whatever store credit I have and leave - permanently.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I don't see any ads here or on the gallery pages with Brave browser. It's looks like all that will happen is people will use an adblocker or browser that blocks ads, which appears to be what many have now done.

Civitai implemented ads a few months back but they are in-house and unobtrusive, ie done sensitively and wisely IMO and with prior notification. I think that's what the main complaint here is.

• I wouldn't mind unobtrusive ads, say at the bottom of the page, for Daz products. That would be a perfectly reasonable usage of Daz's own online real estate. I would even be OK with ads for Daz partner products, or products/services of arguable interest to our community (eg, a legit company that sells hardware or builds custom computers). I'm still never - never, never, not ever - going to click a pop-up ad. I can't imagine who would. But if something looked like it might be actually interesting, I would open a new tab and go check it out. But just random generic garbage? That's the issue. They are so gross and objectionable that they ruin the browsing experience - hence the outcry. My first thought on first seeing them here on a few days ago was to start this thread to make sure I had not picked up malware somewhere - that's how unwanted and undesirable these kinds of things are to many people, including myself. I am a person who literally bought an inexpensive laptop to browse news sites, to avoid taking this - my production computer - into dicey places. I really don't want to feel like I got off at the wrong exit when hanging out here on the forums and gallery.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 553

First Daz Studio, then DIM, and now the Gallery?  I am totally getting fed up with the ads that are being forced.  I have some serious thinking to do. 

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

Mr_Fluffkin said:

With the ads it all looks so super unprofessional and cheap, the whole “high-quality" flair is lost. Just for a few dollars...no

Can someone recommend other galleries that revolve around Daz? Do Deviantart, Instagram and Co. have their own areas/communities/tags for Daz renderings? I just clicked through the 3D art section on deviantart, but somehow they are 90% AI images and not 3D renderings, but maybe I just can't see all filters without an account. Whats the best alternatives to see others Daz renders?

There are a few options. I currently use DA as my primary gallery, but there is a lot of AI stuff there now. If you want to see just DAZ renders at DA just type DAZ into search and you'll get rid of almost all the AI stuff. Changes to DA over the last few years have caused a lot of prominent artist to leave, but I'm still fairly happy with DA. The sad part was the changes really seemed to effect participation in different Group activities and contests, which has reduced some of the feeling of community there

Renderosity is another option, but the gallery there is not what it once was, and IMHO the general quality pales in comparison to the DAZ3D gallery. When they redesigned the gallery several years ago they lost many of the top artists. Then they tried making money off of Google adds and the response was similar to the response here. It encouraged a lot more of the top artists to either quit posting or completely close their gallery and go elsewhere. It literally hasn't been the same since then. The adds were so intrusive (similar to here, but in the market place as well) that I quit posting in the gallery for quite a while, even though they stopped the add "experiment" after IIRC about 30 days, it forever change my opinion of Renderosity (or it was the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back") and I seldom buy there anymore simply because the whole add thing made me view them as rather classless and not fully trustworthy. As far as I know, no one who closed their gallery there ever came back. Yes, my opinion of DAZ has been reduced due to these ridiculous adds as well. The forums and the gallery feel cheap/sleazy and not a place I want to be associated with.

Another option might be the gallery at Renderhub. I haven't participated at Renderhub (or purchased) because there is a large portion of their store where the products are "Editorial License" content from games. Something that gives me pause, and makes the place is a bit sketchy.

ArtStation is another option that you might find interesting. Like DA, you can search for DAZ and see a lot of great renders done with DS and DAZ products. ArtStation is geared more for professional artists, or those looking to be professionals. As a result, it's not as friendly to those just starting out, and I've heard it's a bit biased against DAZ based renders (that old idea that you didn't make all of it, so you aren't a real artist attitude). However, there is a lot more DAZ based work there now, so that attitude might be changing. I actually think I will open a gallery there now. If I only post my very best works I might not get too much grief for using DS. It might be able to take the place of the DAZ3D Gallery where I usually only posted what I thought was my best work. It would also be a good location to send people who want to see my work now. The adds here simply make the DAZ3D gallery feel kind of "eewww". Not something I want to be associated with (the same reason why I still don't post everything at Rendeosity now, I keep sort of active there simply because there are people there who don't go here or DA, and that's where I started).

I think some people also use Instagram, Facebook, Redit, and Pintrest. But since I don't participate in any of those, I can't really say anything about them. I'm sure there are probably other locations that I'm unaware of. Hopefully some others will chime in with some great options.

Sometimes I don't get any ads on the forum with my phone, and other times the screen is overwhelmed with multiple ads. This has changed from one state to the other several times. Is there some limit to how often you get ads, or something like that?
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

Gross, Cheezy and will likely make the preformance of the forums even worse.

Literally: at the bottom of the screen... "how long to get a toned body using a yoga chair?...[Calculate]"...

Next up: "What your doctor doesn't want you know about Cabbage Water" and "Spanky was a Little Rascal, but see what he looks like now..."

• McGyver said:

Gross, Cheezy and will likely make the preformance of the forums even worse.

I wouldn't expect it to trigger Cloudflare issues, since (as far as I know) the extra work is being done remotely by the Google servers.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,565

My first ad appeared, it wanted me to charter a bus

My first ad wanted my to see all about Kellyanne Conway's sex partner, but I think that ad has been reported as inappropriate, and hopefully won't be back.

DustRider said:

The adds here simply make the DAZ3D gallery feel kind of "eewww". Not something I want to be associated with...

Yeah, nothing respectable or remotely trustworthy looking... everything is like those scammy garbage ads "Click here to find out how to get free government money...", "Click here to get free dental implants..." or "Hurry and click here for Limited Edition Simulated 3 Carrot Solid Gold Plated Reproduction Buffalo Eagle Coins..."

I'm literally staring at an ad for Erectile Dysfunction meds at the top and "Jesse Water's Wife Leaves Nothing To The Imagination- Proof In Pictures" at the bottom...  

This is literally how low an opinion DAZ of its forum and gallery members.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

WendyLuvsCatz said:

on iPad using Firefox app with strict privacy 

finally ad free

it was showing the same ads before I enabled that, guess this is now my browser for DAZ

just maybe if it were NOT ads for stuff I never would click by choice angry

Same here. I use Safari for everything else. But you can't upload photos here in Safari anyway so I started using Firefox just for Daz on occasion anyway. 

I don't enable personalized ads. Do you think some of the ads we get are based on the Daz slant toward what we call "skimpwear" and characters shown in underwear and bikinis to demonstrate their skin textures?

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

Why can't Daz just post ads for their own products? 

Wonderland said:

Why can't Daz just post ads for their own products? 

There would be no revenue stream in that apart from perhaps increased sales. The ads as they currently exist may do the opposite.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

barbult said:

I don't enable personalized ads. Do you think some of the ads we get are based on the Daz slant toward what we call "skimpwear" and characters shown in underwear and bikinis to demonstrate their skin textures?

I disabled personalized ads, and apparently that convinced Google that I'm all in on whatever the hell an oligonucleotide is.

Gordig said:

barbult said:

I disabled personalized ads, and apparently that convinced Google that I'm all in on whatever the hell an oligonucleotide is.

I had to look that up.

What is the purpose of an oligonucleotide?

Oligonucleotides are short nucleic acid polymers used in research, genetic testing and forensics. Oligonucleotides are usually made up of 13 to 25 nucleotides and are designed to hybridize specifically to DNA or RNA sequences.

Uh???.. yeah..that probably won't speed up my renders. I guess we Daz users will not find it helpful. I pass on oligonucleotide ads.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,086

When I open multiple gallery images at once, I get an empty space where an ad would be (hello ad blocker) every other image. It's annoying as it obstructs what I came to see (and when it comes to an image, there's no "scroll down to keep reading": you want to see it in full).

I really don't get it. From my perspective, Gallery and Forum are two places where people end up making purchasing decisions (I can't count how many times a galerry image or a forum post made me add stuff to my wishlist). So what's the reasoning behind providing (as dubious as they are) options for the user to click away from Daz? I could understand if Daz implemented "you have to link at least one of our products" rule in the gallery. Sure, it might be annoying, but at least it would make sense. But random unpersonalized ads? Who on Earth is going to click on those? Web-crawling bots?

• McGyver said:

DustRider said:

The adds here simply make the DAZ3D gallery feel kind of "eewww". Not something I want to be associated with...

Yeah, nothing respectable or remotely trustworthy looking... everything is like those scammy garbage ads "Click here to find out how to get free government money...", "Click here to get free dental implants..." or "Hurry and click here for Limited Edition Simulated 3 Carrot Solid Gold Plated Reproduction Buffalo Eagle Coins..."

I'm literally staring at an ad for Erectile Dysfunction meds at the top and "Jesse Water's Wife Leaves Nothing To The Imagination- Proof In Pictures" at the bottom...  

This is literally how low an opinion DAZ of its forum and gallery members.

Please send us images and links so that we can get these blocked.

Richard Haseltine said:

Fair enough Richard but that might be a losing battle.to squash each one individually, I'm sure Google can spit them out faster than thay can be blocked. But it looks like that's all that can be done at the moment so appreciated.

• fred9803 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Fair enough Richard but that might be a losing battle.to squash each one individually, I'm sure Google can spit them out faster than thay can be blocked. But it looks like that's all that can be done at the moment so appreciated.

It may be that, once they have enough examples, Daz will be able to revise the settings of what types of ad ar allowed. it's also possible that the ads are not correctly typed, which can presumably be reported to Google.

• Wow I clicked on a ad here and it was from a civil rights lawyer take these ads down or punish us with them, I'll repeat what someone else said cheesy, if DAZ has no control tell us why....

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,271

In this forum I seek knowledge and insight,
    But oh, these ads that plague my sight!
    Unwanted, unwelcome, they intrude,
    And my patience with them quickly concludes.

I came here to read and learn,
    Not to see ads at every turn.
    They distract me from the discussion at hand,
    And make me want to leave this land.

I understand the need for revenue,
    But can't we find a better avenue?
    To keep this forum free and clear,
    Of the ads that cause such fear.

Let's work together to find a way,
    To make this forum a better place to stay.
    Where knowledge and ideas can be shared,
    Without the annoyance of ads everywhere.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,341

PerttiA said:

My first ad appeared, it wanted me to charter a bus

LOL laugh Okay, that's what 3D artists always love to do - charter buses! Luckily I still don't see any ads here; knock on wood. Are there actually any animated ads? The ones that annoy you so much with their hectic fidgeting and rotating that you automatically start to hate the companies/brands and would never buy even a paper clip from them?

But even without seeing these ads on my devices: From the examples shown here, I am very disappointed that Daz is putting its community through this. It reflects quite badly on Daz's own standards. Google's level certainly doesn't need to be discussed.

• I resisted installing an adblocker, but even a few minutes perusing the forum during the day has been unpleasant. I noticed I've been avoiding the forum and the store somewhat for the last couple of days. Well, I just installed the adblocker and wow, what a difference. It's so nice.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

This is another context-free ad that begs the question - just what are they promoting?

this is an ad.jpg
    1241 x 880 - 132K