Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

One more - I got multiple dynatrace ads, possibly because I looked them up.

In general, I don't consider any of the items I got as ads - they don't indicate anythng about a product or service. They are nothing but clickbait and frankly, google (if they are indeed the actual provider) should be deeply embarrased at providing them

dynatrace.jpg
    1243 x 645 - 74K
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,341

barbult said:

I don't enable personalized ads. Do you think some of the ads we get are based on the Daz slant toward what we call "skimpwear" and characters shown in underwear and bikinis to demonstrate their skin textures?

I would not advise Daz to pass on any user data to Google without the user's consent. At least not the data of EU citizens.

• RangerRickRangerRick Posts: 256

I've been using pi-hole software on a Raspberry Pi to block Ads for a few years so the only thing I noticed was that darn blurred banner at the bottom of the Gallery pages where the Ads would apper but don't because they are blocked. Since it's an overlay, instead of a footer, it blocks clicking on page numbers or other links until I scroll down far enough to move the links above the overlay.

As others have also pointed out, the advertisement overlays are interfering with site navigation.  If DAZ has to have third party Ads then the web pages should be coded to put the Ads in their own frame(??) above or below the site content.

• DustRider said:

Mr_Fluffkin said:

With the ads it all looks so super unprofessional and cheap, the whole “high-quality" flair is lost. Just for a few dollars...no

Can someone recommend other galleries that revolve around Daz? Do Deviantart, Instagram and Co. have their own areas/communities/tags for Daz renderings? I just clicked through the 3D art section on deviantart, but somehow they are 90% AI images and not 3D renderings, but maybe I just can't see all filters without an account. Whats the best alternatives to see others Daz renders?

There are a few options. I currently use DA as my primary gallery, but there is a lot of AI stuff there now. If you want to see just DAZ renders at DA just type DAZ into search and you'll get rid of almost all the AI stuff. Changes to DA over the last few years have caused a lot of prominent artist to leave, but I'm still fairly happy with DA. The sad part was the changes really seemed to effect participation in different Group activities and contests, which has reduced some of the feeling of community there

Renderosity is another option, but the gallery there is not what it once was, and IMHO the general quality pales in comparison to the DAZ3D gallery. When they redesigned the gallery several years ago they lost many of the top artists. Then they tried making money off of Google adds and the response was similar to the response here. It encouraged a lot more of the top artists to either quit posting or completely close their gallery and go elsewhere. It literally hasn't been the same since then. The adds were so intrusive (similar to here, but in the market place as well) that I quit posting in the gallery for quite a while, even though they stopped the add "experiment" after IIRC about 30 days, it forever change my opinion of Renderosity (or it was the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back") and I seldom buy there anymore simply because the whole add thing made me view them as rather classless and not fully trustworthy. As far as I know, no one who closed their gallery there ever came back. Yes, my opinion of DAZ has been reduced due to these ridiculous adds as well. The forums and the gallery feel cheap/sleazy and not a place I want to be associated with.

Another option might be the gallery at Renderhub. I haven't participated at Renderhub (or purchased) because there is a large portion of their store where the products are "Editorial License" content from games. Something that gives me pause, and makes the place is a bit sketchy.

ArtStation is another option that you might find interesting. Like DA, you can search for DAZ and see a lot of great renders done with DS and DAZ products. ArtStation is geared more for professional artists, or those looking to be professionals. As a result, it's not as friendly to those just starting out, and I've heard it's a bit biased against DAZ based renders (that old idea that you didn't make all of it, so you aren't a real artist attitude). However, there is a lot more DAZ based work there now, so that attitude might be changing. I actually think I will open a gallery there now. If I only post my very best works I might not get too much grief for using DS. It might be able to take the place of the DAZ3D Gallery where I usually only posted what I thought was my best work. It would also be a good location to send people who want to see my work now. The adds here simply make the DAZ3D gallery feel kind of "eewww". Not something I want to be associated with (the same reason why I still don't post everything at Rendeosity now, I keep sort of active there simply because there are people there who don't go here or DA, and that's where I started).

I think some people also use Instagram, Facebook, Redit, and Pintrest. But since I don't participate in any of those, I can't really say anything about them. I'm sure there are probably other locations that I'm unaware of. Hopefully some others will chime in with some great options.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. That's very helpful to find a suitable alternative without having to create an account everywhere. As the biggest player, I find Instagram very interesting, but the 3D community there is probably just too small. I'll definitely take a closer look at DA and ArtStation, thanks DustRider!

• Write IdeaWrite Idea Posts: 292

I haven't been on the forums in a few weeks, so this was an unpleasant surprise.  I get it, it's their company forum/gallery.  With the uptick in AI, I'm sure the 3D market might be taking a hit.

What I don't understand is why DAZ+ members are getting these ads?  There is a subforum specifically for DAZ+ members that you have to pay in order to get access to (albeit, I've never posted on there).  So why are people paying to get access to something, only to be bombarded with these annoying ads?  Tumblr, DeviantArt, Nexus Mods,etc do away with adverts when you subscribe to their service.

C'mon DAZ...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

...many years ago I gave up cable television because I was tired of paying a bill to have adverts intrude into what I wanted to watch.  It would get to the point I was able to watch only about 8 min of programming or a film sandwiched in between 5 to even 10 minutes of adverts, It actually was worse than the days of "free television" over the airwaves. and often the same sequence od adverts would repeat every other break or so (and most of those "made for cable" adverts were pretty lame to boot).

Now they intrude almost everywhere. I  see entries on Pintrest and even DA that are obviously adverts posing as images.  I almost can't even go to a news site anymore without it telling me to disable my advert blocker.

About 98% of the targeted adverts I see on line are for products/services I have zero interest in or an unable to afford even if I wanted them so they are gaining nothing save for annoying me and truning me off from going to some sites.

• drucdruc Posts: 350

The add pop ups are now in the forum as well. 

• Richard Haseltine said:

fred9803 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Please send us images and links so that we can get these blocked.

Fair enough Richard but that might be a losing battle.to squash each one individually, I'm sure Google can spit them out faster than thay can be blocked. But it looks like that's all that can be done at the moment so appreciated.

It may be that, once they have enough examples, Daz will be able to revise the settings of what types of ad ar allowed. it's also possible that the ads are not correctly typed, which can presumably be reported to Google.

Trying to play wack-a-mole is a losing battle, there are many more people out there figuring out how to get around whatever filters or so-called "AI" classification / verification schemes exist. They don't care if one ad gets blocked, they just spin up another.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,341

Write Idea said:

What I don't understand is why DAZ+ members are getting these ads?  There is a subforum specifically for DAZ+ members that you have to pay in order to get access to (albeit, I've never posted on there).  So why are people paying to get access to something, only to be bombarded with these annoying ads?  Tumblr, DeviantArt, Nexus Mods,etc do away with adverts when you subscribe to their service.

C'mon DAZ...

This.

I have now actually seen the first ad on Safari. It was relatively discreet, but one of the annoying, rotating variety. What do those ad designers and their clients actually expect from annoying their potential customers with such nonsense? The adblocker is switched on in Safari (which I hardly ever use anyway).

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,655

I haven't seen the ads. No way I'm lowering my defenses to do that - I've no desire to have my computer infested with malware or viruses. This thread has plenty of evidence of their existence. I will only say, pretty much everyone here supports Daz with our money. It's an absolute slap in the face that Daz sees fit to post these sorts of ads here.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,435

I took a few screen snaps of the ads on the gallery page,  interesting selection,  though because there are three of them, top, and bottom,  and right side ads  they feel the most jarring,  taking attention away from the artwork.  Not that anyone will ever click on them,  nor leave any kind of impression.   

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,536

It would be fun to be able to go back in time one year and tell everybody, "in 2024, DAZ is going to do something that makes you all wish they had kept focusing on NFT".

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,655
    edited February 25

NylonGirl said:

It would be fun to be able to go back in time one year and tell everybody, "in 2024, DAZ is going to do something that makes you all wish they had kept focusing on NFT".

I wouldn't go that far. Glad NFTs are gone! And I doubt these ads are worse. Somebody tried something and maybe it's not going to plan. But hey! 10 more months to achieve that goal! cheeky

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • I use Firefox with every trash-blocker known to humankind.  I don't see any of this garbage.

• Some of these are hitting my RAM hard and my bandwidth goes berzerk. My systems should not sound like it's starting to taxi down a runway while I'm visiting a forum page that's all text, yet here we are.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,311

FirstBastion said:

I took a few screen snaps of the ads on the gallery page,  interesting selection,  though because there are three of them, top, and bottom,  and right side ads  they feel the most jarring,  taking attention away from the artwork.  Not that anyone will ever click on them,  nor leave any kind of impression.   

People do click on ads, if they did not, every free site would have shut down long ago without a revenue stream. My company makes most of it revenue through advertising, though in our case the bulk of that is ads in mobile apps, rather than on our website. Ad revenue is measured in something called ecpm, normally the amount of revenue made for every 1000 times the ad is shown on someone's screen. The ecpm varies alot depending on the content, the country it is displayed in and many other factors. For a website a typical value is $1-5 of ecpm. I have no idea how many 1000s of hits the daz forums and gallery get each day, but I would guess it is a lot less than the store. That said DAZ is global company so would get a lot of hits. I would have thought this revenue was a lot less than what they make from the store sales, but we can only guess. However I would expect them to at least make enough to cover the costs of the forum and gallery.

I know a lot of people hate ads, and dislike it when sites stop you using ad blockers, but they have costs to cover and advertising is the best way to help cover them. A lot of news sites offer a subscription service to access their content, but generally very few do subscribe, and for the smaller sites in particular, subscription will not generate enough income. Advertising is the reason a lot of the content we enjoy sits on the web today, and if that is blocked, that content will quickly vanish.

• caravelle said:

barbult said:

I don't enable personalized ads. Do you think some of the ads we get are based on the Daz slant toward what we call "skimpwear" and characters shown in underwear and bikinis to demonstrate their skin textures?

I would not advise Daz to pass on any user data to Google without the user's consent. At least not the data of EU citizens.

As I understand the system they don't - any tracking, and the ad selection within cionstraints set by Daz, is done by Google.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963
    Havos said:

FirstBastion said:

People do click on ads, if they did not, every free site would have shut down long ago without a revenue stream. My company makes most of it revenue through advertising, though in our case the bulk of that is ads in mobile apps, rather than on our website. Ad revenue is measured in something called ecpm, normally the amount of revenue made for every 1000 times the ad is shown on someone's screen. The ecpm varies alot depending on the content, the country it is displayed in and many other factors. For a website a typical value is $1-5 of ecpm. I have no idea how many 1000s of hits the daz forums and gallery get each day, but I would guess it is a lot less than the store. That said DAZ is global company so would get a lot of hits. I would have thought this revenue was a lot less than what they make from the store sales, but we can only guess. However I would expect them to at least make enough to cover the costs of the forum and gallery.

I know a lot of people hate ads, and dislike it when sites stop you using ad blockers, but they have costs to cover and advertising is the best way to help cover them. A lot of news sites offer a subscription service to access their content, but generally very few do subscribe, and for the smaller sites in particular, subscription will not generate enough income. Advertising is the reason a lot of the content we enjoy sits on the web today, and if that is blocked, that content will quickly vanish.

Free sites is the most important part of what you just said, the part you skipped over quickly. DAZ3D sells products.

As I understand the system they don't - any tracking, and the ad selection within cionstraints set by Daz, is done by Google.

This and the other official responses so far sound like you're saying you are voluntarily leaving a door wide open for a third party to pull whatever they want, and that you have no control over it. And that Daz as a company neither empathizes nore cares. How is that supposed to ease that worry?

• protosynthetic said:

Richard Haseltine said:

This and the other official responses so far sound like you're saying you are voluntarily leaving a door wide open for a third party to pull whatever they want, and that you have no control over it. And that Daz as a company neither empathizes nore cares. How is that supposed to ease that worry?

How do you derive that? They hav access only to their own little area of the page, they do not havea ccess to anything else 9and of coruse the ads do not appear in your account area or the shop anyway). They can, if not blocked, recognise you on another page you visit that has one of their ads, but that is only "Oh, number 2745235237854623484537 again" - it doesn't get your username here or on the other site(s), nor any other personal info.

protosynthetic said:

Richard Haseltine said:

How do you derive that? They hav access only to their own little area of the page, they do not havea ccess to anything else 9and of coruse the ads do not appear in your account area or the shop anyway). They can, if not blocked, recognise you on another page you visit that has one of their ads, but that is only "Oh, number 2745235237854623484537 again" - it doesn't get your username here or on the other site(s), nor any other personal info.

Multiple times yesterday and likely the day before, the forum ads were displaying a restaurant specifically in my town (and had the address to go visit it.)  So location data.

Lee

• leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

protosynthetic said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Multiple times yesterday and likely the day before, the forum ads were displaying a restaurant specifically in my town (and had the address to go visit it.)  So location data.

Lee

Yes, because you allow Google to collect location data (or it used your IP addess) - not because Daz passed your location over.

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

protosynthetic said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Lee

Yes, because you allow Google to collect location data (or it used your IP addess) - not because Daz passed your location over.

IP address likely.  DAZ allowed the ads to be on the site which passed the location over.  Semantics.

Lee

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

You have probably given your browser permission to use location data. That is a separate permission that you can control in settings.

• barbult said:

You have probably given your browser permission to use location data. That is a separate permission that you can control in settings.

Just checked my security preferences on my Mac, Safari (my web browser) does not share location.  It's more likely to be google deriving it from the IP address.

Lee

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

barbult said:

Just checked my security preferences on my Mac, Safari (my web browser) does not share location.  It's more likely to be google deriving it from the IP address.

Lee

I probably got it wrong. It is probably location permission in your Google account, not the specific browser.

• barbult said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

barbult said:

Lee

I probably got it wrong. It is probably location permission in your Google account, not the specific browser.

That could very well be it, Barbult.  Thanks for the insight.  Very much appreciated! :)

Lee

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

ColinFrench said:

Trying to play wack-a-mole is a losing battle, there are many more people out there figuring out how to get around whatever filters or so-called "AI" classification / verification schemes exist. They don't care if one ad gets blocked, they just spin up another.

Yes, anything 'reactive' (after the fact) versus 'proactive'-- making sure it can't get through in the first place-- bound to be a losing proposition.

I don't see them, but will be interesting to see if others start noticing more relevant ads.   If DAZ is allowing Google to train an advertising AI  (speclation on my part) might take it while for it to learn what gets results and what gets ignored.   

Just some thoughts on a Sunday afternoon.

• Love the double banners, nice touch.  Top, bottom of forum and then same ad at bottom again  under the same ad (double banners).  Never shopping at Etsy or TEMU, don't click ads, on any site, don't or try not to support Google, not installing apps or plugins to circumvent the same results I had previously.

Not a Daz customer any longer, even though I have full time employment and disposable income.  My last pucheses were in 9/2022 and I think Xmas 2023 for the horse 3 blah.  Certainly do not need any more young Asian school girls, like 900 in the store now.

galleries are kinda a joke anyway.  Beefcake Jesus on a cross in toon?  Really what cause its cel shaded?  Blah.

beter things to do with my time, effort and money.  Good luck Daz, been real but no longer fun.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Tynkere said:.

If DAZ is allowing Google to train an advertising AI  (speclation on my part) might take it while for it to learn what gets results and what gets ignored.   

I think it would be relatively easy for Google to train an AI model from a list of key-words. It would however seriously limit the number and genre of ads displayed, so it may not be financially viable for either Daz or them to do so. On the other hand the hit-rate for the ads would be much higher if they were  more specifically targeted than the current scattergun approach.