Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,778

I went to the gallery and yeah, not good. Looked at https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#gallery=trending&page=1&image=1329485 and couldn't see the full image because the adds were taking up so much of the screen on my monitor. And the juxtoposition of the image which was incredible with add for toe fungus was disgusting. I feel sorry for the artist.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,778

So I went back to page one and saw the recommendation for Mac users to install AdBlock Plus for Chrome, and clicked again on the image and NO ADDS!!! Marvelous. Thank you @Hylas.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,084

I don't have the ads, but I'm guessing it's a matter of adding "yet" to that sentence. From my experience, changes like that are rolled out in waves.

I don't like the idea of ads, especially unrelated ones. It's also making the whole gallery more commercial in feel, and not in the good way. I loved browsing the gallery to discover and buy relevant products linked in gallery pages. Random ads for things algorithm think I'll buy just because I looked at them (usually for some different, non-shopping-related reason) are just annoying. I hope it's only a test run and Daz will listen to feedback (or at least it'll turn out nobody's clicking on them, and they'll remove them).

I need to go and check if my ad blocker is working properly.

• Absolutely ridiculous. Now I will never even visit the gallery, never mind posting anything. Is that really the result Daz wanted?

I'll also toss in a recommendation for folks to avoid Google, which has become so laden with ads that the search results are unusable, and switch to DuckDuckGo. It's not perfect but is a far far better experience. Been using it for over a year now and wish I had switched ealier.

• LynnInDenverLynnInDenver Posts: 147
    edited February 21

Unfortunately, the case is that pretty much any business will finally decide that not running lots of ads is effectively leaving money on the table. This happened with cable (you used to be able to watch a movie ad-free, a long time ago), and it eventually happens to it all. And it doesn't matter whether or not they're actually managing to make money at the main business, the extra money is always too good to pass up.

This is a stop on the road to [the-making-worse-of] for everything.

I also run adblockers, although I can also see it's not getting rid of the evidence of them completely, I can see a gray overlay along the bottom of the screen. I also briefly looked via Edge, and yeah, there's clickbaity "this is actually the cause and solution for a given minor health thing that you should actually talk to your doctor about instead of trusting a random internet ad" on the page.

I'll probably also stop posting to the gallery. Between that and AI, it's starting to get to be just not worth posting art things to the internet.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ColinFrench said:

I'll also toss in a recommendation for folks to avoid Google, which has become so laden with ads that the search results are unusable, and switch to DuckDuckGo. It's not perfect but is a far far better experience. Been using it for over a year now and wish I had switched ealier.

I'll be honest, I switched because I get better search results from DuckDuckGo than from Google. Not perfect because SEO is still a thing, but at least it's not focused on them and what works for Google and Bing doesn't necessarily work on others nearly as well.

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 118

Hylas said:

FantastArt said:

Hylas said:

No ads on firefox cheeky

I have them on Firefox too angry

Mac OS, Windows, Android: install the u-block or Adblock Plus extension.

ios: go into the settings of firefox and switch Tracking Protection to strict.

… but some people don't want, having to install extras that makes Internet a »better experience«

it is about the root problem (DAZ3d as a matter of fact) making a bit extra dosh at the expense of esthetics

I call it a reckless decision

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

LynnInDenver said:

I'll be honest, I switched because I get better search results from DuckDuckGo than from Google. Not perfect because SEO is still a thing, but at least it's not focused on them and what works for Google and Bing doesn't necessarily work on others nearly as well.

I've used DuckDuckGo and I've come to enjoy it. Nevertheless, having a unified experience, regardless of browser or behind-the-scenes Javascript-fu, really matters in an online gallery showcasing art.

Everyday the market asks, "Well, what can we do with Daz?" and the answer lies in the Daz Gallery. Proof in the pudding. Now, do we want to detract from the marketing message? Do we want people to associate Daz Studio with other products -- toe fungus remedies! Will we see the samewise on the daz3d.com landing page?

Please, no cheer here! Ads begone.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,921
    edited February 21

maybe we should render spoof toe fungus ads, use a decal perhaps

Condy's Crystal footbath (potassium permanganate) is an excellent and cheap  fix BTW

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518

paulawp (marahzen) said:

bohemian3 said:

I really don't like the ads on "MY Gallery" pages - somehow implies I personally am promoting those products (curmudgeon that I am).  And I am usually pretty good at listing the products I use - an indirect form of advertisting that I do in fact endorse and like to promote.  DAZ has amazing PAs. 

And I can even understand ads on the 'trending' pages.

I know there are a lot of histrionics in the forums - but if those ads aren't off 'my gallery' pages in a week or two, I'll have to consider seriously deleting it.  The gallery has been a way for me to document my journey through learning DAZ, so it's something I won't do lightly. 

Yes, ad blockers are a solution for me personally, but I like to share my gallery with family and friends, and don't want to do that with the caveat of installing an ad blocker first.  I won't spend energy maintaining a gallery I don't feel comfortable sharing.  I might not be seeing the ads, but others are seeing my images associated with products I have no control over.

I don't expect that I would go so far as to delete my gallery, but with all those nasty ads all over the place, I'm not sending my mom - who barely uses the computer as it is - a link to that page.

Now they are in the forum lol. I can take it in the forum. But it cheapens the gallery. Incoming links to a site up the ratings and boots SEO, but who is going to proudly link to this in on offsite location? I wouldn't. It feels like spam. These ads makes the gallery look hideous. And who exactly are they targeting?

hideous1.JPG
    1732 x 1488 - 246K
    hideous2.JPG
    1949 x 886 - 169K
  • ArtAngel said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

bohemian3 said:

I really don't like the ads on "MY Gallery" pages - somehow implies I personally am promoting those products (curmudgeon that I am).  And I am usually pretty good at listing the products I use - an indirect form of advertisting that I do in fact endorse and like to promote.  DAZ has amazing PAs. 

And I can even understand ads on the 'trending' pages.

I know there are a lot of histrionics in the forums - but if those ads aren't off 'my gallery' pages in a week or two, I'll have to consider seriously deleting it.  The gallery has been a way for me to document my journey through learning DAZ, so it's something I won't do lightly. 

Yes, ad blockers are a solution for me personally, but I like to share my gallery with family and friends, and don't want to do that with the caveat of installing an ad blocker first.  I won't spend energy maintaining a gallery I don't feel comfortable sharing.  I might not be seeing the ads, but others are seeing my images associated with products I have no control over.

I don't expect that I would go so far as to delete my gallery, but with all those nasty ads all over the place, I'm not sending my mom - who barely uses the computer as it is - a link to that page.

Now they are in the forum lol. I can take it in the forum. But it cheapens the gallery. Incoming links to a site up the ratings and boots SEO, but who is going to proudly link to this in on offsite location? I wouldn't. It feels like spam. These ads makes the gallery look hideous. And who exactly are they targeting?

Ewww. So gross.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Condy's Crystal footbath (potassium permanganate) is an excellent and cheap  fix BTW

According to google . . . and a podiatrist on YouTube, for fungus, apple cider vinegar 1 cup in a foot spa/tub. Apparently it also gets rid of calusus. I gues I could have clicked on this ad, but I didn't becaue I don't know or care what Plaque Psoraris is. But I do want to thank DAZ for these ads because it just may stop me from eating near my keyboard. As a matter of fact I suspect it will hinder my shopping hours here, and save me some money, because these ads are sickening. Couldn't they at least target art supplies or something?

hideous3.JPG
    1807 x 921 - 162K
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,270

Seem to be in the forums also.

• Boy am I glad I use an adblocker. yes

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 870
    edited February 22

I'm now seeing ads pop up and move around in the forum pages too... 

Edit: I seem to have missed the posts above mentioning it... 

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
  • If they're going to be using third-party ads, now it's mandatory that they finally comply with GDPR. Full stop.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

angryangryangryangryangryangry

I don't know what to say...maybe goodbye DAZ

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    edited February 22

Daz is forcing ads on us now in the forums? Another one is on top of this page!

So classy...

IMG_0718.jpeg
    2048 x 1675 - 802K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • lol well I just clicked your thread to read and above your post is an ad from one of our Australian music stores guess this place is becoming facebook because I had to submit personal details of where I live including my street address why do they need this unless like facebook they sell our infomation now too which would explain the ads 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

PEOPLE, do something about it!!!

Hylas said:

FantastArt said:

Hylas said:

No ads on firefox cheeky

Thanks for this! I can now avoid them on my iPad and will have to get Ad block or something just for this website!  Does anyone know if there's a way to block on Safari for iOS? 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

the funny thing is if you did you'd probably get into trouble for it being offensive or some other thing that goes against their TOS just like facebook - do as we say not as we do

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

Running Firefox with Adblock  Plus and not seeing ads. Disabled it and got prompts to install a password manager and a YouTube downloader - not ads as such, but they took up real estate on the page.

It is using some kind of tracking software. I got ads about something mentioning California (where I live) and pet supplies after I had recently shopped online at Chewy. But I have no idea why I got a sleazy ad about Kelly Anne Conway! I follow a lot of politics but I have no interest in that woman's sex life! Anyway, blocked now. 

• FantastArtFantastArt Posts: 232

Hylas said:

FantastArt said:

Hylas said:

No ads on firefox cheeky

Thank you Adblock Plus is doing a good job now smiley

well I guess I am going to stop browsing DAZ on my iPad as settings are making it impossible to remove ads on Safarai

should save me heaps yes

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

Somehow the ads keep getting more intrusive. The banners at the top and bottom of the page were a minor annoyance, but now one is sliding up from the bottom of every page.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    That's really intrusive. My phone screen is limited enough, and now I have ads on the top and bottom of the screen. I seldom go to the gallery anymore anyway, since they kind of ruined it in the big redo. Now I have even more reason to avoid it. What next? Maybe ads will be displayed while rendering.
  • Yeah, it's like as we notice it, they double down on it. If we mention not wanting 3rd-party ads on the store page, will they stick them there next to spite us? In that case, let's get them put everywhere. I think I'm satisfied enough with my library to shed my account if necessary.

so far on PC Chrome with AdBlock OK but I am glad I do own so much content already because if they insist on disabling AdBlock like many sites I will cease coming here

certainly won't now on my iPad, will be removing my bookmarks