Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    edited February 2023

...relatively new drive and I also checked all diagnostic reports and nothing was amiss, no warnings, alerts, or errors, concerning a drive malfunction.

The coincidence is...well....just a bit "coincidental" as again just before I opened the IM and the update ran, the folder was there (I was working with the Daz programme just beforehand and shut it down to download and install new purchases) and immediately after I closed the IM was when I noticed the folder was gone. "Odd" that it was "that" particular folder as well and not another one.(every other folder on the desktop is fully accounted for). 

However I uninstalled and reinstalled everything the shortcuts work and the folder is backed up

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited February 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Applications are launched from .exe (or occasionally .com) files, which is what the bad shortcuit indicates is missing. I can't think of any way DIM could have done this, and it seems (so far) to be unique to you so it is most likely another issue conicident with or revealed by the DIM update.

...maybe not the IM itself but the installer had some sort of issue or conflict when it uninstalled the previous version of the IM before installing the update.

The .exe's for all the programmes were in C:/Programme Files .  When I copied the .exe to the desktop to create a shortcut for 4.21 from there to it worked fine I did the same for the other programmes.  I then created a new folder and moved al the shortcuts to it and when I tested them again, that is when I got the missing .dll error. 

The reason I had all my3D shortcuts in a folder to begin with is to maintain as clean a Windows desktop as possible.

• kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Applications are launched from .exe (or occasionally .com) files, which is what the bad shortcuit indicates is missing. I can't think of any way DIM could have done this, and it seems (so far) to be unique to you so it is most likely another issue conicident with or revealed by the DIM update.

...maybe not the IM itself but the installer had some sort of issue or conflict when it uninstalled the previous version of the IM before installing the update.

The .exe's for all the programmes were in C:/Programme Files .  When I copied the .exe to the desktop to create a shortcut for 4.21 from there to it worked fine I did the same for the other programmes.  I then created a new folder and moved al the shortcuts to it and when I tested them again, that is when I got the missing .dll error. 

The reason I had all my3D shortcuts in a folder to begin with is to maintain as clean a Windows desktop as possible.

So this had nothing to do with DIM at all, the shortcuts were working until you moved them? This is not a DIM issue, it really doesn't need to be discussed in this thread.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

The launchable thing is kind of silly, but otherwise I like the new DIM.  Startup is much faster.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,019
    edited February 2023

Sevrin said:

The launchable thing is kind of silly, but otherwise I like the new DIM.  Startup is much faster.

It's a feature Daz Central has that some segment of users seem to use. The whole thing can be turned off 9well, hidden) - see the change log for 1.4.1.18.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited February 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

So this had nothing to do with DIM at all, the shortcuts were working until you moved them? This is not a DIM issue, it really doesn't need to be discussed in this thread.

...no, .I didn't move anything before running the IM and update the night that the original folder with the  shortcuts disappeared. 

Here is the sequence of events:. 

On Sunday evening (the 5th) I closed the Daz Programme, opened the IM to download and install some content  I recently purchased as I needed one of the items for what i was working on, that was when I received the prompt to install the new update, I let it run the update process, then  after it was finished downloaded/installed the content I needed and closed it afterwards.  Immediately after that was I noticed the folder which contained the original shortcuts had disappeared from the desktop as I was going to reopen the 4.21.General Release.  AS  mentioned earlier I checked the Recycle Bin and ran system searches but the folder was nowhere to be found  As it was late I decided to recreate the missing shortcuts the next day (I even mentioned so in a comment I made on the Complaint Thread before coming here to post about it). 

On Monday the 6th I went to C:/Programme files where all my programmes are installed, first copied the .exe for 4.21.0.5  to the desktop to create a new shortcut, tested it from the desktop to make sure the programme opened, then after that created new shortcuts for the other programmes, and moved them along with the 4.21 shortcut to a new desktop folder.  When I tried to open 4.21  from within the folder, that was I received the error message about the missing .dll even though only minutes beforehand the programme opened with no trouble when it was still on the desktop by itself.  I next tried the other new shortcuts I created one by one and they all returned the same error. as well.

Why that is relevant to this thread is it has to do with running the IM update on the 5th during which the original shortcut folder was unexplainably deleted at the same time.  On the 6th  was when I recreated the shortcuts and moved them to a new shortcut folder to replace the ones that were lost. while the latter may seem to have nothing  to do directly with the IM or the update, it was a result of what happened when I tried to repair the situation that occurred on the previous evening.

• Great improvement to DIM. Doesn't hang during installation as it always has for me in the past.

edited February 2023

kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

...no, .I didn't move anything before running the IM and update the night that the original folder with the  shortcuts disappeared. 

Here is the sequence of events:. 

On Sunday evening (the 5th) I closed the Daz Programme, opened the IM to download and install some content  I recently purchased as I needed one of the items for what i was working on, that was when I received the prompt to install the new update, I let it run the update process, then  after it was finished downloaded/installed the content I needed and closed it afterwards.  Immediately after that was I noticed the folder which contained the original shortcuts had disappeared from the desktop as I was going to reopen the 4.21.General Release.  AS  mentioned earlier I checked the Recycle Bin and ran system searches but the folder was nowhere to be found  As it was late I decided to recreate the missing shortcuts the next day (I even mentioned so in a comment I made on the Complaint Thread before coming here to post about it). 

On Monday the 6th I went to C:/Programme files where all my programmes are installed, first copied the .exe for 4.21.0.5  to the desktop to create a new shortcut, tested it from the desktop to make sure the programme opened, then after that created new shortcuts for the other programmes, and moved them along with the 4.21 shortcut to a new desktop folder.  When I tried to open 4.21  from within the folder, that was I received the error message about the missing .dll even though only minutes beforehand the programme opened with no trouble when it was still on the desktop by itself.  I next tried the other new shortcuts I created one by one and they all returned the same error. as well.

Why that is relevant to this thread is it has to do with running the IM update on the 5th during which the original shortcut folder was unexplainably deleted at the same time.  On the 6th  was when I recreated the shortcuts and moved them to a new shortcut folder to replace the ones that were lost. while the latter may seem to have nothing  to do directly with the IM or the update, it was a result of what happened when I tried to repair the situation that occurred on the previous evening.

It sounds as if you copied the application file rather than creating a short cut, so the .dll file is indeed missing from its current location. Paste and paste Shortcut are separate items in the right-click menu.

Still, it is very unlikely that the Install manager removed the previous shortcuts and folder, based on the lack of any other reports of the same issue and knowing what it is set to do (especially as Install manager would not have placed the shortcuts).

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 404
    edited February 2023

Has anyone else's started unchecking the 'Show Details' box on Ready to Install every time you open it? It used to stay open just fine, but the most recent update unchecks it on launch every single time and I don't know if there's some new setting I've missed. I have more than one runtime, so keeping it unchecked isn't an option just to gain a few extra (large) lines of files.

Post edited by Pax Asteriae on
  • Pax Asteriae said:

Has anyone else's started unchecking the 'Show Details' box on Ready to Install every time you open it? It used to stay open just fine, but the most recent update unchecks it on launch every single time and I don't know if there's some new setting I've missed. I have more than one runtime, so keeping it unchecked isn't an option just to gain a few extra (large) lines of files.

There is no change to the way settings are saved (in the .ini file for the account in %appdata%/daz 3d/installmanager/useraccounts/). Are other settings sticking if you change them? If not it may be a file, folder, or security software issue.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

So, the new new version has addressed the main issues previously discussed (where are you now?), like hideable columns (which cannot be moved), but the rows are still too thick, like double-spaced writing (remember that?). I presume that is to accomodate the thumbnail images, but I find them to be too small to be of any use. They are still available in the tooltip on mouse hover, and can be as big as you want. Contrast is too low where colour is used (like the totals on the three main tabs, or in "Show Installed Files", which I use a lot; teal is a personal favourite, but darker). Font should be adjustable. I understand that on a 4K screen it could be hard to read smaller point sizes, but on a "regular" HD display, it is huge, bigger than the 100%-zoom-size text in the forum (without any other adjustments). I would need to use half the screen to see all the info presented, so all columns are turned off, except for ReadMe, which is pretty much like the old layout, just more sparse.

So far, it has been super quick on startup, but that was after a fresh reboot, for which the previous version also had a fairly quick startup. We'll see what it's like after a couple of days, and dozens of installs, and the indexer (which seems to get priority) decides it is time to scan at the same time.

Richard Haseltine said:

It sounds as if you copied the application file rather than creating a short cut, so the .dll file is indeed missing from its current location. Paste and paste Shortcut are separate items in the right-click menu.

Still, it is very unlikely that the Install manager removed the previous shortcuts and folder, based on the lack of any other reports of the same issue and knowing what it is set to do (especially as Install manager would not have placed the shortcuts).

...so why did it work when I tested after copying it to the Windows desktop?,  Isn't copying (not moving) the .exe to the desktop the usual method for creating a shortcut to it?  

Also as I mentioned likely it was not the IM itself that caused the folder to disappear, but possibly something that happened during the uninstall process of the update routine which removed the old IM version before replacing it with the new one which contained the old shortcuts.

• kyoto kid said:

Richard Haseltine said:

...so why did it work when I tested after copying it to the Windows desktop?,  Isn't copying (not moving) the .exe to the desktop the usual method for creating a shortcut to it?  

Also as I mentioned likely it was not the IM itself that caused the folder to disappear, but possibly something that happened during the uninstall process of the update routine which removed the old IM version before replacing it with the new one which contained the old shortcuts.

I am surprised it worked at all, yes. No, psting a shotcut and pasting the actual fiel ar different - the shortcut is a pointer saying Go open this, the file is the file itself.

Windows does not cull dead shortcuts until you try to use them, as far as I know, so I have no idea what removed your folder of shortcuts - but it is really a question for a Windows forum.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,615

I got an update for DIM this morning. It installed and everything is fine. I like having the thumbnails.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

Something I have long wanted. DIM now recognizes the new order number format: "order::DAYY-MMDD-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Richard Haseltine said:

Sevrin said:

It's a feature Daz Central has that some segment of users seem to use. The whole thing can be turned off 9well, hidden) - see the change log for 1.4.1.18.

Oh, I disabled it as soon as I saw the option.  This also removed the "Launchable" category from the top of the installed items list. I don't use Hexagon often enough to need to see it at the top of that list. 

• The new Install Manager GUI has a bug when using a dark high contrast theme, as you can see from the screenshot, non-highlighted products appear black on black. The theme I used for the screenshot is high contrast black as standard with windows, but I have the same problem, with the custom one that I use on a daily basis.
    Please fix to support high contrast, or implement the ability to choose a dark or custom theme that "overrides" high contrast.

edited February 2023

Morto00 said:

The new Install Manager GUI has a bug when using a dark high contrast theme, as you can see from the screenshot, non-highlighted products appear black on black. The theme I used for the screenshot is high contrast black as standard with windows, but I have the same problem, with the custom one that I use on a daily basis.
    Please fix to support high contrast, or implement the ability to choose a dark or custom theme that "overrides" high contrast.

Merged with the main thread.

It may be related to, or the same issue as

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7997231/#Comment_7997231
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7998016/#Comment_7998016

• Richard Haseltine said:

Morto00 said:

The new Install Manager GUI has a bug when using a dark high contrast theme, as you can see from the screenshot, non-highlighted products appear black on black. The theme I used for the screenshot is high contrast black as standard with windows, but I have the same problem, with the custom one that I use on a daily basis.

Merged with the main thread.

It may be related to, or the same issue as

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7997231/#Comment_7997231
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7998016/#Comment_7998016

The issue using the High Contrast (left Alt + left Shift + PrtSc) feature in Windows has been confirmed by the developers.

The issue using the High Contrast (left Alt + left Shift + PrtSc) feature in Windows has been confirmed by the developers.

Thanks, hope the fix comes soon :)

• Morto00 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Thanks, hope the fix comes soon :)

The fix for this issue, where the text disappears, should be in the next update - note that this isn't a general ability to chnage the colours around, as has been requested, but purely a fix for the specific issue. I have no information on whether more general colour configuration options will be added, if they will it is going to be at a later date.

The speed increase on loading is tremendous - usually, with a big library on an external drive, DIM takes about fifteen minutes to be ready. With this new version it waw well under one minute (the local tabs were populated before the Ready to Download tab)

I found no speed improvement when loading unfortunately.  I have a large library on an external drive also.   

• On the 13th I opened the DIM.  It required an update so I let it update.  I then checked 11 Products to be updated.  It downloaded and installed those 11 items supposedly.  When I went to use the items they had not been updated.  The only reason I know is because I had put a ticket in on one of the items and was notified that it had been fixed and TS asked me to verify that it had been fixed.  I had to manually update the item.  I would probably not have known otherwise.  It appears that the other items did not update either.  I am still trying to figure all of this out at this time but 4 of the items definitely did not update and I don't know why right now.

• RiverMissy said:

On the 13th I opened the DIM.  It required an update so I let it update.  I then checked 11 Products to be updated.  It downloaded and installed those 11 items supposedly.  When I went to use the items they had not been updated.  The only reason I know is because I had put a ticket in on one of the items and was notified that it had been fixed and TS asked me to verify that it had been fixed.  I had to manually update the item.  I would probably not have known otherwise.  It appears that the other items did not update either.  I am still trying to figure all of this out at this time but 4 of the items definitely did not update and I don't know why right now.

Are the content directories still the same as the original installation?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,176

On the 13th I opened the DIM.  It required an update so I let it update.  I then checked 11 Products to be updated.  It downloaded and installed those 11 items supposedly.  When I went to use the items they had not been updated.  The only reason I know is because I had put a ticket in on one of the items and was notified that it had been fixed and TS asked me to verify that it had been fixed.  I had to manually update the item.  I would probably not have known otherwise.  It appears that the other items did not update either.  I am still trying to figure all of this out at this time but 4 of the items definitely did not update and I don't know why right now.

Did you accidentally turn off the checkbox for install After Download? Maybe they are sitting in the Ready to Install tab.
  • barbult said:

RiverMissy said:

Did you accidentally turn off the checkbox for install After Download? Maybe they are sitting in the Ready to Install tab.

I always pick them myself to install on that tab.  They appeared to install just fine. 

• Morto00Morto00 Posts: 3
    edited February 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

The fix for this issue, where the text disappears, should be in the next update - note that this isn't a general ability to chnage the colours around, as has been requested, but purely a fix for the specific issue. I have no information on whether more general colour configuration options will be added, if they will it is going to be at a later date.

I can confirm that with this new version the high contrast problem has been solved.
    Kudos to developers team for the quick fix. yes

Post edited by Morto00 on
  • I'd just like to say that I absolutely HATE the change from checkboxes to colored boxes.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,176

I still can't read the white numbers on the bright light green background.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Is it just me, or did DIM 1.4.1.19 completely break the "Order Date" sorting? The other sort orders seem to work pretty much as expected, but if I choose to sort by "Order Date", what I get is utterly unrelated to the actual order date.

Or not utterly unrelated. At the top of the list, I get a series of more or less random products in alphabetical order, including some really ancient ones from old, old orders. If I scroll far enough down through the alphabetically-ordered selection, it finally starts showing items in something like the order date.

For example, today I bought the Agma Bundle, New York Tenements 2, and 1920 City Street. When I choose sort by "Order Date: Descending", I get "12K HDRI Maps - Forsaken Factory 1 of 6" (followed by 2 of 6 etc.), and then "1920 City Street". After that it shows random products in strict alpha order until I get to "Zombie Snow Plow" and then, immediately after that, I get the two "Agma" items that I didn't already own (I bought one separately a long time ago), followed by "New York Tenements 2", and then the rest of my purchases follow in the correct order.

Just for clarity, these are undownloaded products: the first chunk of alphabetically-ordered items is not the "Product Updates" section that usually appears at the head of the list, but is actually part of the "Products" set.

It's rather weird (and impractical) and I don't know if it's a data error on the back end, or if the sorting algorithm has just gone insane. Or if it's DIM's way of telling me that I buy too much from DAZ, and it can't keep up any more.

This is on Windows 11, by the way.