Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Whiskeyjack said:

Is anyone else having an issue where you uninstall products through DIM, but they remain installed in Daz Studio? Can't seem to narrow it down to a specific criteria, it just seems to be happening with some products and not others.

That sounds as if the product was also installed through Daz Studio (Daz Connect) - the Daz Central/Install Manager installations are entirely separate from the internal installations, the latter (if present) take precendent. If youi don't intend to install through Daz Studio there is no need for the application to connect to your account at all.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Whiskeyjack said:

Is anyone else having an issue where you uninstall products through DIM, but they remain installed in Daz Studio? Can't seem to narrow it down to a specific criteria, it just seems to be happening with some products and not others.

That sounds as if the product was also installed through Daz Studio (Daz Connect) - the Daz Central/Install Manager installations are entirely separate from the internal installations, the latter (if present) take precendent. If youi don't intend to install through Daz Studio there is no need for the application to connect to your account at all.

Well, here's the thing; almost every product I download through DIM shows up in Daz with the “Daz Connect” icon in the thumbnail. And when I right-click on the product, I’m given the option to Install through Daz Connect, even though the product is already installed through DIM. You can that in the attached screenshot.

Should I just mass-uninstall everything through DIM, mass-uninstall everything Daz Connect, and then mass-reinstall everything through Daz Connect and stop using DIM altogether? Because it seems like the two are just not communicating with each other, and it’s causing funky stuff to happen. For instance, I’m finding several products are being installed twice, as two separate products; one is installed through DIM, the other is installed through Daz Connect.

Screenshot (333).png
    635 x 425 - 265K
    Screenshot (334).png
    315 x 266 - 52K
    Screenshot (335).png
    314 x 281 - 65K
  • If it has the downloadable icon and Install in the right-click menu then that is fine, it means 9as long as the thumbnail is coloured) and the DIM version is being seen and used. You can use whichever method you like (but there is no point in using more than one for any given product, and you need to be aware that many script-based products are not written in a way that work when installed through DS). The doubled-up products, however, are very odd.

If it has the downloadable icon and Install in the right-click menu then that is fine, it means 9as long as the thumbnail is coloured) and the DIM version is being seen and used. You can use whichever method you like (but there is no point in using more than one for any given product, and you need to be aware that many script-based products are not written in a way that work when installed through DS). The doubled-up products, however, are very odd.

So, the option to install products with Daz Connect, even if they’re already installed through DIM, is normal behaviour? Well, I'm glad nothing is screwed up that might require a fresh install of Daz, but it seems like a bizarre oversight if DIM and Daz Connect don’t communicate with each other about which products are installed and which aren’t.

That still leaves the question of why DIM is being so wonky when it comes to installing and uninstalling some products however. As I mentioned, I was able to install the Cave Ogre product I’d just bought through DIM with no issue, and I was able to uninstall it immediately afterward with no problem either. But when I tried to reinstall it through DIM again straight away, it wasn’t showing up in Daz, even though DIM was listing it as installed. But I could hop over to the “Available” tab in Smart Content and find it ready to download through Daz Connect.
    That’s not the only product either; I was uninstalling a bunch of older products I don’t use recently, including all of the “West Park” series by Jack Tomalin. I uninstalled every “West Park” product through DIM, yet they all remained installed in Daz when I loaded it up immediately afterward. In the end, I had to manually delete the content folders within Smart Content, and manually delete each folder within my directories to get rid of them. They’re all showing up in my “Available” tab in Smart Content now too.

Honestly, I’m very tempted to just stop using DIM entirely and just install everything through Daz Connect from now on, because DIM seems to be getting very unreliable at even installing and uninstalling content. However, that then leaves the problem of how do I go about finding and installing products that can’t be installed through Daz Connect, such as the scripts you mentioned? If Dim would at least communicate with Daz Connect and filter out the products that already installed with Daz Connect, that’d at least be something.

As for the duplicate products; I had the same problem with the same products a year or two ago, and even after a fresh install of Daz with all the default settings and installation paths on a brand new, blank PC, it’s still happening. So, it’s not something on my end from what I can tell.

And while I’m at it, here’s one more question. Can you tell me what the dotted outline and little binder icon around these products in the attached screenshot is meant to indicate? They’re installed through DIM, and they’re all working fine (for the most part). But not only to they show up in the “Available” tab of Smart Content, but I don’t have the option to install them through Daz Connect, even though it says on their product page that they can be installed through Daz Connect.

Screenshot (340).png
    716 x 260 - 68K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011
    edited April 2023

Whiskeyjack said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If it has the downloadable icon and Install in the right-click menu then that is fine, it means 9as long as the thumbnail is coloured) and the DIM version is being seen and used. You can use whichever method you like (but there is no point in using more than one for any given product, and you need to be aware that many script-based products are not written in a way that work when installed through DS). The doubled-up products, however, are very odd.

So, the option to install products with Daz Connect, even if they’re already installed through DIM, is normal behaviour? Well, I'm glad nothing is screwed up that might require a fresh install of Daz, but it seems like a bizarre oversight if DIM and Daz Connect don’t communicate with each other about which products are installed and which aren’t.

They do communicate, but if a product has been installed through DIM (or Daz Central) it is still, correctly, shown as cavailable for a Connect install.  If you don't want to use DS to install then don't have it go online and it won't know about newer products.

That still leaves the question of why DIM is being so wonky when it comes to installing and uninstalling some products however. As I mentioned, I was able to install the Cave Ogre product I’d just bought through DIM with no issue, and I was able to uninstall it immediately afterward with no problem either. But when I tried to reinstall it through DIM again straight away, it wasn’t showing up in Daz, even though DIM was listing it as installed. But I could hop over to the “Available” tab in Smart Content and find it ready to download through Daz Connect.

Did you try right-click>Refresh on the top-level container in the pane?

That’s not the only product either; I was uninstalling a bunch of older products I don’t use recently, including all of the “West Park” series by Jack Tomalin. I uninstalled every “West Park” product through DIM, yet they all remained installed in Daz when I loaded it up immediately afterward. In the end, I had to manually delete the content folders within Smart Content, and manually delete each folder within my directories to get rid of them. They’re all showing up in my “Available” tab in Smart Content now too.

That sounds as if they had been installed through DS.

Honestly, I’m very tempted to just stop using DIM entirely and just install everything through Daz Connect from now on, because DIM seems to be getting very unreliable at even installing and uninstalling content. However, that then leaves the problem of how do I go about finding and installing products that can’t be installed through Daz Connect, such as the scripts you mentioned? If Dim would at least communicate with Daz Connect and filter out the products that already installed with Daz Connect, that’d at least be something.

Things thata re not installed at all will have a grey thumbnail.

As for the duplicate products; I had the same problem with the same products a year or two ago, and even after a fresh install of Daz with all the default settings and installation paths on a brand new, blank PC, it’s still happening. So, it’s not something on my end from what I can tell.

And while I’m at it, here’s one more question. Can you tell me what the dotted outline and little binder icon around these products in the attached screenshot is meant to indicate? They’re installed through DIM, and they’re all working fine (for the most part). But not only to they show up in the “Available” tab of Smart Content, but I don’t have the option to install them through Daz Connect, even though it says on their product page that they can be installed through Daz Connect.

That's User data, which uninstalling will not remove. You can remove it by right-click menu, then replace the emtadata by letting DS go online or reinstalling the product through DIM/Daz Central

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

They do communicate, but if a product has been installed through DIM (or Daz Central) it is still, correctly, shown as cavailable for a Connect install.  If you don't want to use DS to install then don't have it go online and it won't know about newer products.

Ah, I see what you mean. Still, I feel like that's something the Connect and DIM could do a bit better; if a product is installed through one method, disable the means to install it a second time through the other method. Or at perhaps include some kind of toggle option that does that.

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you try right-click>Refresh on the top-level container in the pane?

I did, and no dice. Cave Ogre still wouldn't show up.

Richard Haseltine said:

That sounds as if they had been installed through DS.

But that's the weird thing - they weren't! I built a new PC last year and did a clean install of all my Daz products through DIM. I only started downloading some products through DS/Connect recently, and none of the West Part series products were among those.

Richard Haseltine said:

Things that are not installed at all will have a grey thumbnail.

Well, that's one method I suppose. But trawling through 4000+ products in my Smart Content looking for the odd greyed-out thumnail isn't exactly enticing,

Richard Haseltine said:

That's User data, which uninstalling will not remove. You can remove it by right-click menu, then replace the emtadata by letting DS go online or reinstalling the product through DIM/Daz Central

But I've uninstalled the products through DIM (I'm sorry, but I'm not touching Daz Central with a barge pole), reinstalled them, and still no dice. Tried that method you mentioned, and they've at least moved out of the "Available" tab. I had to click "Work Offline" first, then right-click and update their metadata, at which point Das logged me back in, and redownloaded/updated the products in quetion.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm being bitchy, I honestly don't mean to. It's just that when I set up Daz on this new PC I was extremely careful not to mess up my directories or installation paths, and I've tried to keep things as well organised and tidy as I can. Then weird stuff like this happens seemingly at random, and it gets frustrating.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,405
    edited April 2023

Or at perhaps include some kind of toggle option that does that.

There is a feature. You don't log in. I believe the only reason for logging in is for downloading content and since it's ill-advised to install content by several different means at a time. Pick one and stay with it. You will have a lot fewer issues. Go into prefs and tell it not to log in on startup and un-toggle notify me.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

If a download is corrupted for some reason, it will fail the install (no surprise). The Install button text changes to Retry, with a bright red border and hover colour. After getting a valid copy, and successfully installing, the Uninstall button on the Installed tab has the red border, and the hover colour is still the bright red. If the product is now successflly installed, it should revert to the light grey border and teal hover colour.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

I am often seeing the small notice box opening, informing me that C++ executable has to download, and then doing so. 

Is this normal? Why does this happen, as I thought once it is done it does not need to do so again.

Thanks.

• Bendinggrass said:

I am often seeing the small notice box opening, informing me that C++ executable has to download, and then doing so. 

Is this normal? Why does this happen, as I thought once it is done it does not need to do so again.

Thanks.

Please post a screenshot of the message.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

Richard Haseltine said:

Bendinggrass said:

Thanks.

Please post a screenshot of the message.

It happens so quickly I could not record it. 

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I have been away from DS and DIM for a long time and recently started to get involved with it again and when I started up Install Manager there was an update which I automatically installed, but now when I want to sort products there is no longer an option to sort different eras  such as everything  Genesis 6 or 7 or 8 and I thought you used to be able to sort by Product number such as 5000 to 6000 or 10000 to 11000, am I wrong or is this no longer able to do in DIM?  Was it somewhere else?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,169
    Maybe you haven't installed the Install Manager Default Filters.

barbult said:

I checked and it says they are installed,  I am sure I updated those when I first opened DIM along with installing the newer version of DX 4.21 as I will still on 4.15 and the G9 products  that came with it.  Maybe if I uninstall and reinstall the filters?

Kharma said:

barbult said:

I checked and it says they are installed,  I am sure I updated those when I first opened DIM along with installing the newer version of DX 4.21 as I will still on 4.15 and the G9 products  that came with it.  Maybe if I uninstall and reinstall the filters?

Here is a screen shot of my dropdown

DIM .jpg
    529 x 527 - 84K

I found my error, I ws looking at the wrong dropdown, that's what I get for not using a program for so long

• GlendonJGlendonJ Posts: 4

My "C" drive is 500gb, limited space. How do I change the "Installation Path"? I was able to reset all of the other paths to my D drive except for the actual final "Content files install to" path.

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 769

GlendonJ said:

My "C" drive is 500gb, limited space. How do I change the "Installation Path"? I was able to reset all of the other paths to my D drive except for the actual final "Content files install to" path.

@GlendonJ Launch Daz Install Manager (DIM) and click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and choose Advanced Settings. Go to the Installation tab. At the bottom you will see the Recommended Path (for DIM installs)... It should be C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
      Now, click the (+) button at the bottom to add a Path shortcut to your External Drive and click Accept when finished.

If you open Content Directory Manager (CDM) in Daz Studio (via: Edit -> Preferences -> Content Library -> Content Directory Manager) and all the directories still point to your C-drive, then you need to click Daz Studio Formats and then click the Add button on the left and point it to your external drive folder.  Once that is done, Daz Studio will be able to find/see your content on the external drive (in addition to any Daz content already installed on your C-drive).

• GlendonJGlendonJ Posts: 4

It worked like a charm. Thanks..!

Today I have 144 items in DIM "Ready to Download" in the Products section (not the Product Updates section). All of these are products I have already installed in recent weeks. In fact a spot check of a few of them show the same product in the Installed tab. What is going on? Is my account broken, or is Daz broken?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,940

barbult said:

Today I have 144 items in DIM "Ready to Download" in the Products section (not the Product Updates section). All of these are products I have already installed in recent weeks. In fact a spot check of a few of them show the same product in the Installed tab. What is going on? Is my account broken, or is Daz broken?

Try refreshing DIM. If that doesn't do the trick, then it's most likely a server issue.

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

Try refreshing DIM. If that doesn't do the trick, then it's most likely a server issue.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had already closed DIM, so I reopened it. The probelm is resolved now.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858

I cannot install anything

it's likely user error as I have a new C drive and reinstalled DIM

and that is as far as I can get blush

any downloads just get retry

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I cannot install anything

it's likely user error as I have a new C drive and reinstalled DIM

and that is as far as I can get blush

any downloads just get retry

Could also be heavy traffic if people had a final splurge on the end of sale/end of tokens.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    edited July 2023

...didn't we just have an update a couple weeks ago?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,988

kyoto kid said:

+ 1 

• ed3D said:

kyoto kid said:

+ 1 

Install Manager has been getting some focussed attention, presumably as they seem to be moving features from Daz Central into it. If updates are still causing issues for you then there is probably a system issue (unless it's a Windows 7 limitation, which seems fairly unlikely) that is affecting your system, generally they seem to go smoothly.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

...no issues with the IM itself, just was curious about the more frequent updates. Since the UI update, it's been running rather trouble free..

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,988

Richard Haseltine said:

ed3D said:

kyoto kid said:

+ 1 

Install Manager has been getting some focussed attention, presumably as they seem to be moving features from Daz Central into it. If updates are still causing issues for you then there is probably a system issue (unless it's a Windows 7 limitation, which seems fairly unlikely) that is affecting your system, generally they seem to go smoothly.

Alright Then  +  Thanx 

I got an error message when installing the mandatory update to DIM 1.4.1.44. I took a screenshot of the error message, but it won't upload. It said
    "Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
    There was an error downloading the file."