Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• I love the new fresh modern look.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,112
    edited February 2023

AlmightyQUEST said:

It's possible that there is just something odd about the XI commercial center. I had an update just before DIM updated that I installed, but today I happened to notice in my ready to download list that there were an additional three installers that had a date of yesterday? Hopefully that is just some weirdness with that item. I thought the date column would show order date but that definitely wasn't the order date for that product.

I just noticed this, too. Would love to know what's going on there.

edit: Well, the readme says it updated with a low res version. I wonder if that version is compatible with the Christmas add-on.

Post edited by butterflyfish on
  • I hate the new look.  How do I revert it?

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,615

It is noticeably faster at startup, nothing broke, and. I can tug the columns into an order that works for me. So, OK!

• butterflyfish said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

It's possible that there is just something odd about the XI commercial center. I had an update just before DIM updated that I installed, but today I happened to notice in my ready to download list that there were an additional three installers that had a date of yesterday? Hopefully that is just some weirdness with that item. I thought the date column would show order date but that definitely wasn't the order date for that product.

edit: Well, the readme says it updated with a low res version. I wonder if that version is compatible with the Christmas add-on.

Ah, ok that would make sense if it is sort of treating it like a new product! Though I hope that is a very rare thing, otherwise I worry that I might have other products with updates I've never installed since I have all those poser companion files I don't install anymore in the list.

• AlmightyQUEST said:

butterflyfish said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

Ah, ok that would make sense if it is sort of treating it like a new product! Though I hope that is a very rare thing, otherwise I worry that I might have other products with updates I've never installed since I have all those poser companion files I don't install anymore in the list.

Yeah, I am concerned about that, too.  

• butterflyfish said:

What is the point of the little icons, if they're all the same? Which they are, no matter what kind of file it is. Just to take up space?

Which? The oens to the left will be replaced with product thumbnails if you download them (right-click menu).

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660

I really appreciate the speed improvements and some of the other improvements. And in general I love the Install Manager. 

But, sorry, I'm gonna echo the "interface is too big now" sentiments. Keeping the gray theme in some places, while making white and gray/blue in the product list also looks peculiar. 

Also, I'm on a Mac, so DIM never matched or rendered text sharply on a retina screen, but before it was small and utilitarian. Now it's big, bright... and still pixelated, so it end up looking antiquated.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 12.07.49 PM.png
    2330 x 1974 - 2M
  • AlmightyQUEST said:

I'm a big supporter of good use of white space and large text for accessibility and ease of use, but I also agree the current UI doesn't work for me, the right things aren't prioritized visually.

Has the way updates display changed at all? I am hoping updates will still appear at the top of the installer list. It's possible that there is just something odd about the XI commercial center. I had an update just before DIM updated that I installed, but today I happened to notice in my ready to download list that there were an additional three installers that had a date of yesterday? Hopefully that is just some weirdness with that item. I thought the date column would show order date but that definitely wasn't the order date for that product.

*Richard already mentioned it, but the fast start up speed is greatly appreciated.

I got the update last night and it was split like that then - I think those are lower-resource versions, possibly (they were certainly smaller files).

• Helene said:

This UI is far to big.  I have been managing to use the tiny checkboxes on the left to choose files to install, I certainly don't need a Download button that is about 36x the size of the checkbox. 
    I moved the columns for Size and Date to the far right hoping that I could make the window smaller and hide them, but it just shrinks the name of the product - the most important part for me. 

The columns are not intended to be movable, I'm afraid, so you will find they revert on a relaunch anyway.

• thistledownsname said:

I hate the new look.  How do I revert it?

Downloading requires the latest version. If you have an older installer and don't want to download with it you could probably uninstall and install the older version, but I can't guarantee that newer zips will continue to work with it.

• Richard Haseltine said:

butterflyfish said:

What is the point of the little icons, if they're all the same? Which they are, no matter what kind of file it is. Just to take up space?

Which? The oens to the left will be replaced with product thumbnails if you download them (right-click menu).

Ah, OK. Thanks. I didn't know that.  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,175

butterflyfish said:

Richard Haseltine said:

butterflyfish said:

Ah, OK. Thanks. I didn't know that.  

For example:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 160010.jpg
    920 x 518 - 106K
  • Richard Haseltine said:

WandW said:

What the heck did you guys do to the interface??  I have been running it at this size (which I belive is the default) since it was in beta, but now I can only see the first two letters of the product names. angry

IMS

Is there some setting I am overlooking?

Yes, it does take up more room now - I can't say I like it, but there are various pressures on the design and (for now at least) we have this. Part of the issue is that there are now more columns, with icons, eating space and the name gets what is left. It would be nice to resize the columns, the Action one could be smaller (I suppose Download Failed might be the determining factor).

Ah, it's the Uninstalling ... 100% that is the longest text apparently.

• WandW said:

What the heck did you guys do to the interface??  I have been running it at this size (which I belive is the default) since it was in beta, but now I can only see the first two letters of the product names. angry

IMS

Is there some setting I am overlooking?

Actually there is one setting - Show Details checked is causing additional columns to appear, inidcating how the products install (software, plug-in, content) - that isn't eating a lot of space, but some.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

The update DLed/installed fine for me, all the directory references seem to have carried over and the few products I recently ordered were DLedinstalled OK. Not sure what PPI the interface was designed for, but it is much larger than other apps. I think this hurts functionality and, personally, I don't really care for the look aesthetically.

- Greg

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited February 2023

I do like the idea of this update but yea, it's looking a bit "romper room" for my tastes.  It would be more beneficial to supply folks with interface options to control the fonts (size, bold, type of font) as well as some control to hide elements like the Launch bar.  I mean you can collapse it but with everything being larger even collapsed it takes up a fair amount of room!  

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,615

Richard Haseltine said:

Helene said:

This UI is far to big.  I have been managing to use the tiny checkboxes on the left to choose files to install, I certainly don't need a Download button that is about 36x the size of the checkbox. 
    I moved the columns for Size and Date to the far right hoping that I could make the window smaller and hide them, but it just shrinks the name of the product - the most important part for me. 

The columns are not intended to be movable, I'm afraid, so you will find they revert on a relaunch anyway.

It's a bug that ought to be a feature. Really, I want to get rid of the columns I don't use/don't care about. But it's just DIM, so maybe don't care.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

Two complaints about the new UI:

1 - At default size, the product names are hidden. The names are the most important information to see.

2 - The light color style is terrible. If we could have an option to go back to the dark theme, that would be very nice.

Positive changes: nothing comes to mind.

• Wildman oSWildman oS Posts: 121
    edited February 2023

I like the concept, but not the implementation

overall it's a good 'first take' and hope it will be quickly improved

1. rather bright on the eyes, can we have a less contrasty option please

2. each line could still be half the current height using the existing more readable fontsize

3. make install date, install filesize, launchable, readme, release channel  ALL OPTIONABLE columns

4. why not put the %amount UNDER the description in the 'action' BIG box????  or use alternative (less characters) descriptions

5 please REMEMBER window settings on closing (not just the products window but also the settings windows)

Post edited by Wildman oS on
  • Can I just point out that the new roomy DIM is more accessible to the vision impaired and working with a 4k monitor.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,935

Granville said:

Can I just point out that the new roomy DIM is more accessible to the vision impaired and working with a 4k monitor.

Even with a 1440p monitor, it works wonders, as I detest micro-script... Hoping Studio 5 has a robust font size option, especially for those that absolutely adore 8-point fonts with everything! :P

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited February 2023

I like it. I don't need the extra large type but who knows, in the future maybe. I can enlarge the DIM app size easily enough to accommodate the larger font. I like how super fast all the products I've installed (over 7000) load in the uninstall tab. Spoke too soon, the list of installed produts loads so fast only because they were already loaded when the DIM did it's upgrade. Today, the installed product list was slow as usual.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,754

I booted up DIM this morning on my MacBook Pro, to just see how long it would take to load with data, which was about 35 minutes (I think this is an improvement). But contrary to what has been reported my screen spread of columns was still there. Along with an update for two very large files! The nice thing was I found was 3 files of a 12 file set had somehow not installed initially, so they got chosen.

The Installed tab did have the Launchable Products open, but it was an easy click to close. 

I do want to note that the click box seems to be 'white on white' and is barely discernable with a light grey shadowbox on the top and right side. If you click on an item, it turns aqua, and the box is visible. Is it possible to have a visible black line around the box, without clicking on the product line?

Mary

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 06.33.28.png
    2150 x 2060 - 2M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

...so will my current configuration be overwritten requiring me to reset all my install paths again? 

Also does it still work on Windows7?

• So yah, I just got the DIM update as well and like many others I think this is a huge step backwards because instead of product names I now get to see dots followed by pretty useless info which I can see like the date and size fields. The changelog claims this is a more modern look, however... having build UI's myself it's also pretty common these days to - at the very least - allow users to resize the columns width themselves, optionally even hiding columns which they don't want to see or use.

Yet the latest DIM can't even do that... it's all static!  And thus pratically unusable, at least for me.

A more modern interface isn't just about the looks; there's also usability involved. Considering the lack of such I cannot help wonder if this is a classic example of applying change solely for the sake of change while having little regards for the things that actually matter. This definitely makes manual installs all the more appealing to me.

• kyoto kid said:

...so will my current configuration be overwritten requiring me to reset all my install paths again? 

DIM updates do not reset preferences - unless thre is a damaged file or folder or other local issue that is blocking/damaging/removing the configuration file. If there is soem issue of that nature then it will still happen.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,019
    edited February 2023

ShelLuser said:

So yah, I just got the DIM update as well and like many others I think this is a huge step backwards because instead of product names I now get to see dots followed by pretty useless info which I can see like the date and size fields. The changelog claims this is a more modern look, however... having build UI's myself it's also pretty common these days to - at the very least - allow users to resize the columns width themselves, optionally even hiding columns which they don't want to see or use.

Yet the latest DIM can't even do that... it's all static!  And thus pratically unusable, at least for me.

A more modern interface isn't just about the looks; there's also usability involved. Considering the lack of such I cannot help wonder if this is a classic example of applying change solely for the sake of change while having little regards for the things that actually matter. This definitely makes manual installs all the more appealing to me.

Most of the columns have fixed widths determined by their contents 9though apparently a future version is restyling the action button to be smaller). The name column is the only one with the potential to resize, and it will always use the available space. A future update will enable columns to be hidden if not required.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155

kyoto kid said:

It does for me. 

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

On my computer Launchable Products only shows Carrara and Hexagon. I installed Daz Studio, both release and beta versions and Bryce using DIM so why doesn't it show these? I would expect them to make sure it shows Studio,