Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Hi Peter, did you look under your Advanced Settings under the Downloads tab to make sure the  DAZ Studio entries are checked to be downloaded? 

• Peter Wade said:

On my computer Launchable Products only shows Carrara and Hexagon. I installed Daz Studio, both release and beta versions and Bryce using DIM so why doesn't it show these? I would expect them to make sure it shows Studio,

Are either of them showing updats available? Launch is not available then (if you need to launch an older version you would need to work offline in that session) Also, some applications need an update to theuir metadata to work with the launching option.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

On my computer Launchable Products only shows Carrara and Hexagon. I installed Daz Studio, both release and beta versions and Bryce using DIM so why doesn't it show these? I would expect them to make sure it shows Studio,

Are either of them showing updats available? Launch is not available then (if you need to launch an older version you would need to work offline in that session) Also, some applications need an update to theuir metadata to work with the launching option.

Daz Studio release version is showing an update but Bryce and Daz Studio beta version are not.

• Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Daz Studio release version is showing an update but Bryce and Daz Studio beta version are not.

Daz Studio beta is, I think, one of the ones that requires an update to appear.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_21_1_30

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

See http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_21_1_30

If the Daz Studio beta fix is private build only that would explain why I haven't got it.

Bryce is a more confusing matter. I checked my settings and found I had Bryce selected and Software selected but not 32 bit windows. I Selected 32 bit Windows and restarted DIM with no change. Then I tried searching in DIM. I searched for Bryce 7 and just Bryce. I found a whole lot of Bryce addons but the Bryce application is not shown as installed or as ready for download. I have definitley bought it, I can find it my product library. So why is DIM not seeing it?

I'm not that bothered about not being able to launch Bryce from DIM but I am concerned that DIM doesn't seem to know that Bryce is in my library so it can't check for updates.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,447
    edited February 2023

DIM will no longer load since the update. It starts, I log in, then it crashes after refresghing for a bit. How can I roll back to previous version

Post edited by daveso on
  • Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

If the Daz Studio beta fix is private build only that would explain why I haven't got it.

Bryce is a more confusing matter. I checked my settings and found I had Bryce selected and Software selected but not 32 bit windows. I Selected 32 bit Windows and restarted DIM with no change. Then I tried searching in DIM. I searched for Bryce 7 and just Bryce. I found a whole lot of Bryce addons but the Bryce application is not shown as installed or as ready for download. I have definitley bought it, I can find it my product library. So why is DIM not seeing it?

I'm not that bothered about not being able to launch Bryce from DIM but I am concerned that DIM doesn't seem to know that Bryce is in my library so it can't check for updates.

Unfortunately Bryc would require further develpment to be ready for Install Manager, and so cannot be launched from Install Manager.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,169

I appreciate that I don't have to leave it open all the time, because I can close it and reopen it faster when I need it. I look forward to the future additional improvements to the interface. It is nice that Daz seems to be listening to user feedback.

• daveso said:

DIM will no longer load since the update. It starts, I log in, then it crashes after refresghing for a bit. How can I roll back to previous version

What happens if you don't log in? What about the log files in

%appdata%/daz 3d/installmanager/

What happens if you go to the UserAccounts folder in the above folder and temporarily move the .ini file to another location?

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Unfortunately Bryc would require further develpment to be ready for Install Manager, and so cannot be launched from Install Manager.

I accept that you can't launch Bryce from Install Manager but you used to be able to install it. Does the latest update to DIM stop it from even installing Bryce?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011
    edited February 2023

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Peter Wade said:

I accept that you can't launch Bryce from Install Manager but you used to be able to install it. Does the latest update to DIM stop it from even installing Bryce?

I thought I recalled that but I am told it would require updating the application, and that has never been done. However, it has certainly not been possible to isntall Bryce through DIM for quite a long time (years rather than months) as I checked the first time someone said it wasn't possible and I was sure it was.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

MelanieL said:

kyoto kid said:

Also does it still work on Windows7?

It does for me. 

...thanks, with how W7 has pretty much been dropped like a burning coal, I can't be sure  anymore.

Until I can get the funds up for a W11 upgrade, I've hit the "ceiling" with the 4.21.0.5 Daz General Release as the three public beta's released afterwards require Nvidia driver 516.93 (beta 4.21.1.13) or 5.26.98 (beta 4.21.1.26 and 4.21.1.29) none of which support W7/W8.   

The last available driver for W7 is 474.11.

Richard Haseltine said:

daveso said:

What happens if you don't log in? What about the log files in

%appdata%/daz 3d/installmanager/

What happens if you go to the UserAccounts folder in the above folder and temporarily move the .ini file to another location?

just reied to enter DIM via offline. It started refreshing. nothing listed in installed, 50 in ready to install, all very old files that I have not used for q long time. Then it crashed. I'm not sure where anything is anymore. I'm now getting DS will not load and crashing. Its like the update on DIM destroyed my installation. Many of the files are empty and there are multiple locations for manifest, etc and I cannot  find the cms at all.  

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,614
    edited February 2023

Here's a question for the design people: If we're going all fresh interface, why is some of the text bigger and some still tiny? I get the need to support bigger monitors. I have 1440p screens - Smaller than 4k, but still... If you're modernizing to account for more resolution, it should be the full job. Mostly, it's ok. The actual sign-on screen is probably the worst offender. I downloaded all the thumbnails. That's pretty cool :)

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited February 2023

nope..DAZ Studio no longer loads. The initialization screen does its thing then it crashes. It is no longer listed in installed programs. It appears I'm going to have to uninstall everything once again and start over. If I didn;t have so much invested in this program I would delete it and not look back, but at this point I've spent way too much money on content to not use it. I'll put in a ticket. I'm really tired of having to deal with this program though. Every time I do an update, to DIM or DS, something doesn;t work right afterward. 

EDIT: rebooted system. There is no entry of DAZ Studio anywhere. I have 3 different programs that show installed programs and DS is not in there, so somewhow the registry entry is gone or changed. It appears I have to do a complete wipe of DS and DIM again. I'm too tired to mess with this current install and try to figure out what happened this time.  I would allow DS and DIM to install on C drive but its too small to handle all the files so need to install on D drive, but I think what happens is when you do an updatte, the updater puts things back to default and screws the installation up. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,614

daveso said:

nope..DAZ Studio no longer loads. The initialization screen does its thing then it crashes. It is no longer listed in installed programs. It appears I'm going to have to uninstall everything once again and start over. If I didn;t have so much invested in this program I would delete it and not look back, but at this point I've spent way too much money on content to not use it. I'll put in a ticket. I'm really tired of having to deal with this program though. Every time I do an update, to DIM or DS, something doesn;t work right afterward. 

EDIT: rebooted system. There is no entry of DAZ Studio anywhere. I have 3 different programs that show installed programs and DS is not in there, so somewhow the registry entry is gone or changed. It appears I have to do a complete wipe of DS and DIM again. I'm too tired to mess with this current install and try to figure out what happened this time.  I would allow DS and DIM to install on C drive but its too small to handle all the files so need to install on D drive, but I think what happens is when you do an updatte, the updater puts things back to default and screws the installation up. 

I encountered no such issue and I have all custom locations for my library items. You do have the worst luck with this stuff! Sorry to hear that trend continues. 

Torquinox said:

daveso said:

I encountered no such issue and I have all custom locations for my library items. You do have the worst luck with this stuff! Sorry to hear that trend continues. 

DS has never played well on this system. I cant afford to buy another so I'm stuck with it. I will stop purchasing any additional content though unless its free or so inexpensive it cannt be refused.  

• daveso said:

Torquinox said:

daveso said:

DS has never played well on this system. I cant afford to buy another so I'm stuck with it. I will stop purchasing any additional content though unless its free or so inexpensive it cannt be refused.  

DIM installs will not appear in Add/Remove programs or the like, that is expected. It does sound as if soemthing has happened to your paths, or maybe the database is corrupt (which could affect both DIM and DS, though the latter more directly than the former).

• Can't say I'm a fan of the look, but what do I know. As long as it works, I'll use it.

edited February 2023

I'm having trouble reading the white text on the green background for the number of products in each of the tabs. Here is a composited screenshot comparison of the new light green with the old darker green. There is less contrast between the green and white now. I have to put my face right up to the 4K screen to see the numbers. I had no problem before. That extra contrast made all the difference, I guess.

Screenshot 2023-02-06 011707 DIM Color change.jpg
    392 x 168 - 15K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited February 2023

...OK so I installed the update, I checked to make sure all  the paths are correct, then proceeded to download and install what I purchased. However, when I exited, noticed a couple folders had disappeared from my Windows desktop including the one with all the shortcuts to my 3D programmes (which includes links to other software besides Daz). I did looked to see if it had been  moved to another area of the desktop as occasionally happens (it wasn't) after which launched a full search for the folder to see if it was moved elsewhere but that returned no results.

Now as with any new install there is the usual Windows popup that mentions changes will be made to the computer, but I never ever have seen anything like this happen before in all dozen years I have been doing this.

So not only am I unable to open either the 4.21 General or 4.21 Public Release from the desktop, I also cannot open Daz 3.1, Hexagon, Blender, Carrara, Bryce, or other software that had shortcuts in that folder as well.

Wonderful bug there.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Question: did you have a shortcut to DIM inside that folder?

• kyoto kid said:

...OK so I installed the update, I checked to make sure all  the paths are correct, then proceeded to download and install what I purchased. However, when I exited, noticed a couple folders had disappeared from my Windows desktop including the one with all the shortcuts to my 3D programmes (which includes links to other software besides Daz). I did looked to see if it had been  moved to another area of the desktop as occasionally happens (it wasn't) after which launched a full search for the folder to see if it was moved elsewhere but that returned no results.

Now as with any new install there is the usual Windows popup that mentions changes will be made to the computer, but I never ever have seen anything like this happen before in all dozen years I have been doing this.

So not only am I unable to open either the 4.21 General or 4.21 Public Release from the desktop, I also cannot open Daz 3.1, Hexagon, Blender, Carrara, Bryce, or other software that had shortcuts in that folder as well.

Wonderful bug there.

That wouldn't be down to the DIM update, as far as I can see. Did you check the Recycling Bin? Also, you should have links for the applications in the Start Menu

...yes I checked everywhere including the start menu (the only links there for any graphics software are for my 2D programmes for which that folder [2D Programmes] still appears on the desktop) as well as the Recycle Bin (the first place I checked) and that folder is completely gone.  It was there before I opened the IM and  ran the update. 

The only thing that appeared on the screen after I clicked on the "update" button was the usual Windows pop up  that let me know changes were about to be made t my system which pops up any time new software or a new revision of software is about to be installed.  I never had this happen with any software.

I ran no other system maintenance utilities at the time nor did my AV pop up any warnings about the update. It isn't my AV as I've installed software and updates for other programmes and never had this happen before.  The fact it was the folder that contained shortcuts to al the Daz software I use makes me suspicious there is a bug in the update/install process as another person mentioned that his shortcut to the Daz Programme had disappeared afterwards..

As I've had a busy morning here and need to be elswhere this afternoon I'll have to deal with recreating the shortcuts manually and and making a backup of the folder later. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011
    edited February 2023

kyoto kid said:

...yes I checked everywhere including the start menu (the only links there for any graphics software are for my 2D programmes for which that folder [2D Programmes] still appears on the desktop) as well as the Recycle Bin (the first place I checked) and that folder is completely gone.  It was there before I opened the IM and  ran the update. 

The only thing that appeared on the screen after I clicked on the "update" button was the usual Windows pop up  that let me know changes were about to be made t my system which pops up any time new software or a new revision of software is about to be installed.  I never had this happen with any software.

I ran no other system maintenance utilities at the time nor did my AV pop up any warnings about the update. It isn't my AV as I've installed software and updates for other programmes and never had this happen before.  The fact it was the folder that contained shortcuts to al the Daz software I use makes me suspicious there is a bug in the update/install process as another person mentioned that his shortcut to the Daz Programme had disappeared afterwards..

As I've had a busy morning here and need to be elswhere this afternoon I'll have to deal with recreating the shortcuts manually and and making a backup of the folder later. 

The only shortcuts the isntaller will remove are those it created itself. It will empty a folder only if the folder is empty (and it won't do that with shortcuts as those may be in folders which the OS manages, so it just removes its own files there). If you don't have shortcuts in the Start menu then that sounds very odd - pretty well all applications place their shortcuts there unless overidden (and many don't give a choice).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

Anyone notice today's update? No comments? Sounds like many of the recent concerns were addressed...

edited February 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

The only shortcuts the isntaller will remove are those it created itself. It will empty a folder only if the folder is empty (and it won't do that with shortcuts as those may be in folders which the OS manages, so it just removes its own files there). If you don't have shortcuts in the Start menu then that sounds very odd - pretty well all applications place their shortcuts there unless overidden (and many don't give a choice).

...as I mentioned above, I clicked on the IM shortcut and allowed it to do the update, The folder with all the shortcuts was there on my desktop just before that. .After all the installs completed, I closed the IM and went back to the Windows desktop I was going to reopen the Daz programme to use one of the new products when I discovered the the folder and all the shortcuts had disappeared form the Windows Desktop. There were no messages or warnings  from the AV I use or any other utilities about this.;   I have to go with the fact there was a bug in the IM update install that deleted the folder and its content were deleted given the fact it was there immediately before and gone immediately afterwards.

My AV never has nor would delete a file or folder without prompting me first. 

There is no other explanation or evidence to the contrary for this.

ETA:

I copied the shortcuts from the C: Programmes folder and none of them work  as whne I try to launch any of the programmes I get the error message attached below. So this means all the .dlls for these programmes were deleted including Non Daz software.  This required having to uninstall and reinstall everything, including software that wasn't installed by the IM.  I feel Development really needs to take a look at this  as I'm not the only person who had installations corrupted after updating to the new IM version. Again I never ever had this occur before whether it was an IM update or a Daz programme update and again were it my AV, I would have received a query about this before any action was taken and there was none.

I also noticed when I opened the IM, another popup appeared mentioning there was yet a new update.  Not wanting to deal with any further possible issues to occurring,  I chose to work in offline mode to uninstall and reinstall al the Daz software that was installed with the IM which fixed those particular issues (I also made sure all my Daz my programme configurations were not changed back to the default settings either).  Really don't need this kind of issue happening every time there is another IM update sofor now I'm leaving enough alone and not tempting fate.  I'll manually download new purchases and install in offline mode for now.

error message.png
    452 x 169 - 11K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Applications are launched from .exe (or occasionally .com) files, which is what the bad shortcuit indicates is missing. I can't think of any way DIM could have done this, and it seems (so far) to be unique to you so it is most likely another issue conicident with or revealed by the DIM update.

Kyoto kid, maybe your hard drive is failing.