Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,116

I completely agree with you on that point Gedd, we are seeing a paradygm shift.

Your background offers a unique perspective, and I do appreciate your insight.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259

I don't of course envision a fully functional version of DAZ Studio on a mobile platform anytime soon of course, nor anything that takes that type of horsepower. But, a mobile app that would allow one to browse through content one owns, doesn't own but might want to purchase, the ability to reorganize on the mobile platform and have it reflected back to the desktop, view assets in 3d at some point... all is within potential specs of a mobile app at some point in the not too distant future. The idea would be to look through how people use DAZ, what functions they perform, and what could/might be mobilized. This is the general template for any software company looking to mobilize their platform.

• Gedd said:

Side note: mobile doesn't mean small screens as we think of it today. New mobile platforms are gearing up to be a central processing system that can attach to various hardware and displays. This is part of the 'paradygm shift' I'm referring to. And yes, desktops will continue to have a hardware advantage over mobile, but as focus switches, that advantage starts to wane (eventually... talking a while in the future,) just as it did for mini computers. While this shift might take 5+ years to be strongly evident across the board, foundations take a while to put in place.

Yeah take a look at the Kangaroo http://www.kangaroo.cc/ it's about the same size as my Droid 2 phone

I have one one set up to stream video to my 55 in Samsung TV 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Don't forget, when listing things that are a Linux or Linux based...SteamOS.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,632
    edited December 2015
    Gedd said:
    Rogerbee said:

The more I think about it, the more I want to forget about Linux. Microsoft has such a dominant hold globally that Linux doesn't really stand a chance.

You realize Android is based on Linux right? And that the Apple iOS is based on BSD which is so close that kissing cousins doesn't do it justice. Most web servers and super computers run on a variant of Linux. Most of the embedded operating systems in cars, toasters, and the rest of the IoT is based on Linux...

With all that being said, MS hardly has a hold on anything other then the current desktop market paradygm, and that paradygm is undergoing changes. With the move to cloud services and internet apps the hold Microsoft has on desktops is even more precarious. Where they hold an advantage currently is in drivers for specific hardware such as video cards used for gaming and laptop/desktop systems.

They (desktops and notebooks) are like the mini computers of this generation. They were fundamental but  as their successors become more powerful they will fall into a niche market and stay there for a while before slipping out of the picture to an entirely new paradygm. Microsoft knows this and is working to make the change by going to cloud services, which by the way, they run on (drumroll please....) Linux.

...personally I do not feel comfortable leaving my work on someone else's server. Several years ago there was a major  issue with "art theft" at a well known gallery site.

Another issue is performance.  Having to be online takes processor and memory resources. Response of cloud software will also only be as good as your connection (a real issue in rural and semi rural areas). Next there are download limits some plans have which could easily be exceeded (a reason some are concerned about WIn 10s mandatory updating).

As to Daz supporting Linux.  Others and I already asked about this and it just isn't going to happen.  Again if the big firms like Autodesk and Adobe won't commit development resources to it, how is a small operation like Daz supposed to afford it? It is taking pretty much all their development resources just to update their flagship studio application.  This is why other programmes like Carrara, Bryce, and Hexagon have been languishing (the latter for over 7 years now), there just isn't development staff to spare, nor the funds to expand it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    Gedd said:

One more relevant point on this is how I've been stressing paradygm shift rather then evolution.

Right, because it is not an evolution, it is a de-evolution back to the 1960's/1970's with mainframes (currently called server farms) accessed thru terminals (currently called smart phones/tablets).

DAZ on Linux? I don't see any problem in running in a browser a complex HTML5/Javascript web frontend to a server based system.

• Gedd said:

DAZ will most likely build a Linux (Android) version at some point in the future if they want to stay relevant since the mobile market is just ramping up and is already rolling over the desktop market in so many areas. With increased hardware performance and overall developments that are already currently in the works in the mobile platform it's the place to be.

This isn't to say that the desktop market won't be their primary platform for a while now but I'm hoping that someone at DAZ is forward enough to realize that a mobile platform for DAZ content is going to take some development and that sooner is better then later in at least getting their feet wet, even if it (the first version or two) isn't something they end up releasing to the general public. If they do that, then developing for Linux takes on a different cost/benefit ratio. This type of realization will happen for more companies as they jar themselves loose of the traditional paradygm we've all been mired in.

Again, the desktop isn't going away soon, but there is a transition period where a new paradygm becomes dominant and we as a society have stepped into it.

Side note: mobile doesn't mean small screens as we think of it today. New mobile platforms are gearing up to be a central processing system that can attach to various hardware and displays. This is part of the 'paradygm shift' I'm referring to. And yes, desktops will continue to have a hardware advantage over mobile, but as focus switches, that advantage starts to wane (eventually... talking a while in the future,) just as it did for mini computers. While this shift might take 5+ years to be strongly evident across the board, foundations take a while to put in place.

One more relevant point on this is how I've been stressing paradygm shift rather then evolution. We often think of evolution when someone says paradygm shift, but they are very different. With a paradygm shift, there are changes that come that have no relationship to the previous paradygm. New ways of thinking and doing. The most common mistake people make is to think in terms of an evolution when a paradygm shift is going on. By definition, with a paradygm shift, we don't know all of the pieces that are going to be in the final analysis. Everyone is guessing and grabbing. We can't plan the same as with an evolution of technology. What seems to work best is to put a reasonable amount of resources into staying current without overcommiting to technology that is changing faster then quicksand, but we must put some resources into it so we don't get left behind. When the changes come, we need to be prepared to take advantage of them rather the scrambling to come up to speed. At least this is my take after watching this industry for more years then I care to admit (for what that's worth.)

DS on Android is not likely to happen.  Most Android devices have <1GB RAM, with the largest topping out at 2GB and CPUs in the 1.0->1.6GHz range (granted some have 8 cores like this NotePro 12.2 here).  The resource usage for DS has grown such that it isn't feasible to put a full DS on Android (or iOS).  You might see a viewer type program that will show a low-poly version of a scene.  All in my opinion, of course.  I know no more than anyone else on DAZ's plans.

Kendall

• Maybe Morph 3D

edited December 2015

...heck, barely was able to run Daz 3.1A on my old duo core notebook with 4 GB (2 GB useable as it was 32 bit). Rarely bothered with UE as that would often cause it to choke. Attempting to run 4.0 on it was an exercise in extreme futility.

• Let's not forget that "mobile" OSs don't have swap space.  If it doesn't fit into memory, it doesn't happen.  And fitting even a fraction of a usable runtime into 4, 8, or 16GB of flash storage?  Yikes!

Kendall

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

@mjc1016 - I'm thinking of rolling back to slackware to get out of the systemd thing. How much time has it taken you to get your slackware install how you like it? What package manager are they using now? How do the various window managers play with it? How's support for sound/video?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Umm...to where it's 'finished' or where it's usable?  A couple of hours, after a fresh install...to where it's mostly done.  But it's never 'finished', so forever laugh

Well...no 'official' package manager.  Same as usual.  Probably won't ever be an official one. 

Gnome/Gnome based...not very well without installing/building/rebuilding a ton of extra packages.  Everything else, haven't had a problem.

Pretty decent multimedia/audio/video...but again, there are a bunch of extras that may be needed.

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

O.k. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped using slackware. laugh 

mjc1016 said:

Umm...to where it's 'finished' or where it's usable?  A couple of hours, after a fresh install...to where it's mostly done.  But it's never 'finished', so forever laugh

Well...no 'official' package manager.  Same as usual.  Probably won't ever be an official one. 

Gnome/Gnome based...not very well without installing/building/rebuilding a ton of extra packages.  Everything else, haven't had a problem.

Pretty decent multimedia/audio/video...but again, there are a bunch of extras that may be needed.

edited December 2015

You missed my followup post where I clarified this "I don't of course envision a fully functional version of DAZ Studio on a mobile platform anytime soon of course.." (etc...)

The other point besides this is how fast the mobile market is evolving. It was only about 4 year ago when 4K video meant spending $40k U.S.D for a Red camera, about 2 years ago when one could get a handheld for around $1k and now it comes as a feature in the flagship phones starting from $400 from Nexus (5x.) Every week (no exageration) it's uncommon for me to not get some new breakthrough news on storage technology, memory, processor, battery or related at least once a week. Of course only a percentage of that will tranlate into real world technology, there is so much money and focus going on in the mobile sector right now that Desktops and Notebooks are almost starving for attention in comparison (from the companies as far as R&D goes.) There is ongoing development of course, especially in the graphics cards sector, but relatively... the biggest focus is on mobile. This translates into a lot of changes in the near term for that if not for unforseen delays.

I know there are people who aren't interested in cloud services, but as the cloud services evolve, it may become very hard to avoid. If the price point of doing cloud rendering (for example) makes having a render capable desktop much less feasible in comparison, people will really have to evaluate what's most important. It's kind of like the concept that fighting a strong current isn't usually the best way of avoiding drowning.

Finally, of course, these are all just ruminations on my part. I fully admit I could end up being proven to be totally wrong. It's just where the current trends look like they are headed based on previous experience.

Let's not forget that "mobile" OSs don't have swap space.  If it doesn't fit into memory, it doesn't happen.  And fitting even a fraction of a usable runtime into 4, 8, or 16GB of flash storage?  Yikes!

Kendall

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 2015

Yes, Slackware is a very minimalist distro and not a rolling one. All updates are dependent on the end user/admin unless they equate to something (very) substatial by the Slackware team and that doesn't translate to latest driver support. For multimedia, Ubuntu based distros really do have an advantage over any non Ubuntu distro for an out-of-the-box and/or distro maintained driver update and support. I would just recommend avoiding the Unity desktop for starters.

I was playing with Makulu Linux for a bit and it was somewhat minimalist in regards to packages loaded while still having better then average multimedia support. It has PlayonLinux loaded in the base distro. I used the xfce desktop on the last build I did with it and it worked well for what I used it for.

There are advantages to going back to a base Debian system and building up from there but at the cost of having to do more manual lifting then using an Ubuntu based distro. As to Redhat, Suse, etc... based distros, they are more corporate oriented and less user/multimedia for the most part so again, more manual lifting for getting drivers and other mm support with other apps that may be loaded but not have any functionality for the intended purpose.

For anyone who may have seen previous comments by me about Ubuntu, yes I really was against Ubuntu to the point of avoiding even distros based on it, but I've softened in my approach to avoiding Ubuntu itself for myself while considering other Ubuntu 'based' distros and accepting it (Ubuntu itself) might be a totally legitimate choice for others. I also throw in the Unity desktop caveat that it might be best avoided.

Related note on rolling release distros like Arch. I know they work great for some people but I've also seen where people have complained that their OS or parts of it just quit working after an update and rolling it back can be an issue so I personally tend to avoid agressive rolling distros that play too close to the cutting edge. I would tend towards a distro like Slackware where it is pretty much left up to the end user to keep up to date, but I've also over time acknowledged that it's easy to let updating slip over time which can cause it's own issues, so for the most part I tend to look for some middle ground on many of my builds anymore.

Gr00vus said:

O.k. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped using slackware. laugh 

mjc1016 said:

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • I think it'd be great if the Android devices did "grow up" a little to become more of what the "normal person" needs in a Desktop.  By this I mean more RAM, and a bit more "real OS" features like VM and such.  Many homes are moving to "home clouds" with shared storage from a router or a dedicated NAS, so having the device use that as persistent storage wouldn't be a problem.  The issue comes in with the use of flash as swap.  Once you start using flash as swap the write cycle lifespan becomes a real concern.  So that means either putting enough RAM in the device to not swap (HAH!) or put some form of magnetic microdisk (say <10GB) into the device to hold swap.

Another problem with apps like DS is that the keep "high power" parts of the computer awake.  This is what causes problems for laptops.  The GPU running full out for long periods of time is *NOT* in the design specs of these things.  There's not enough mAH in the batteries nor enough heat dissipation on the design.  These 2 are the MAIN reasons the Surface Pro is useless.  Try running any program of substance on a Surface Pro and you'd better be using the kickstand on a table or you're looking at a real hot hand.  Yes, I've experienced it myself.

Kendall

• I think it'd be great if the Android devices did "grow up" a little to become more of what the "normal person" needs in a Desktop.  By this I mean more RAM, and a bit more "real OS" features like VM and such.  Many homes are moving to "home clouds" with shared storage from a router or a dedicated NAS, so having the device use that as persistent storage wouldn't be a problem.  The issue comes in with the use of flash as swap.  Once you start using flash as swap the write cycle lifespan becomes a real concern.  So that means either putting enough RAM in the device to not swap (HAH!) or put some form of magnetic microdisk (say <10GB) into the device to hold swap.

Another problem with apps like DS is that the keep "high power" parts of the computer awake.  This is what causes problems for laptops.  The GPU running full out for long periods of time is *NOT* in the design specs of these things.  There's not enough mAH in the batteries nor enough heat dissipation on the design.  These 2 are the MAIN reasons the Surface Pro is useless.  Try running any program of substance on a Surface Pro and you'd better be using the kickstand on a table or you're looking at a real hot hand.  Yes, I've experienced it myself.

Kendall

edited December 2015
    Gedd said:

You missed my followup post where I clarified this "I don't of course envision a fully functional version of DAZ Studio on a mobile platform anytime soon of course.." (etc...)

The other point besides this is how fast the mobile market is evolving. It was only about 4 year ago when 4K video meant spending $40k U.S.D for a Red camera, about 2 years ago when one could get a handheld for around $1k and now it comes as a feature in the flagship phones starting from $400 from Nexus (5x.) Every week (no exageration) it's uncommon for me to not get some new breakthrough news on storage technology, memory, processor, battery or related at least once a week. Of course only a percentage of that will tranlate into real world technology, there is so much money and focus going on in the mobile sector right now that Desktops and Notebooks are almost starving for attention in comparison (from the companies as far as R&D goes.) There is ongoing development of course, especially in the graphics cards sector, but relatively... the biggest focus is on mobile. This translates into a lot of changes in the near term for that if not for unforseen delays.

I know there are people who aren't interested in cloud services, but as the cloud services evolve, it may become very hard to avoid. If the price point of doing cloud rendering (for example) makes having a render capable desktop much less feasible in comparison, people will really have to evaluate what's most important. It's kind of like the concept that fighting a strong current isn't usually the best way of avoiding drowning.

Finally, of course, these are all just ruminations on my part. I fully admit I could end up being proven to be totally wrong. It's just where the current trends look like they are headed based on previous experience.

Let's not forget that "mobile" OSs don't have swap space.  If it doesn't fit into memory, it doesn't happen.  And fitting even a fraction of a usable runtime into 4, 8, or 16GB of flash storage?  Yikes!

Kendall

...in the "yeah but" category, at least rendering on your own system doesn't cost extra. Online rendering would make people on minimal budgets (like myself) have to give up 3D altogether.

Plus, like' I've mentioned before, not into leaving my hard work on someone else's system.

• kyoto kid said:
    Gedd said:

Kendall

...in the "yeah but" category, at least rendering on your own system doesn't cost extra. Online rendering would make people on minimal budgets (like myself) have to give up 3D altogether.

Plus, like' I've mentioned before, not into leaving my hard work on someone else's system.

"system doesn't cost extra" -- Actually, this isn't true.  Rendering can ramp up the amount of electricity the systems use.  Several of my machines have 4x 1200W power supply units, and many people with "home rendering PCs" have PSUs rated 1000W or more.  Depending on the area of the world, running these at full throttle can cost $.14 to $.25/hour in electricity just for the computing unit. In all but the Winter months there's additional costs as the heat expelled into the domicile can be non-trivial causing the AC to run more.  For most, these costs are indirect and not noticed.  For example, a PC with a 350W PSU left running 24/7 will raise an electricity bill by about $30/mo in my area of the country and our average cost per KWh is lower than most.  Larger PSUs can have a larger effect depending on the draw inside the machine -- take a look at how many Watts a "decent" GPU will draw.

Kendall

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited December 2015

Android is going to be swallowing Chrome OS in 2016 / 2017, as they set their sights on the desktop / Laptop market. When that happens then power won't be a issue, and we'll hopefully start to see a lot more users coming with it.

Post edited by BradCarsten on
    edited December 2015
    kyoto kid said:
    Gedd said:

Kendall

"system doesn't cost extra" -- Actually, this isn't true.  Rendering can ramp up the amount of electricity the systems use.  Several of my machines have 4x 1200W power supply units, and many people with "home rendering PCs" have PSUs rated 1000W or more.  Depending on the area of the world, running these at full throttle can cost $.14 to $.25/hour in electricity just for the computing unit. In all but the Winter months there's additional costs as the heat expelled into the domicile can be non-trivial causing the AC to run more.  For most, these costs are indirect and not noticed.  For example, a PC with a 350W PSU left running 24/7 will raise an electricity bill by about $30/mo in my area of the country and our average cost per KWh is lower than most.  Larger PSUs can have a larger effect depending on the draw inside the machine -- take a look at how many Watts a "decent" GPU will draw.

Kendall

...not an issue for me as utilities are included in my rent.

...and again, I'm not about to leave my work on someone else's system.

• Just a little "funny" to add to the thread.

Kendall

12388146_10205434311000040_1558470526_n.jpg
    224 x 480 - 29K
  • Rogerbee said:

You know what folks, as fun as it was using Linux, not being able to use other things fully is beginning to grate on me big time!

I actually want windows 7 back!

Bye Linux, it was nice knowing you!

CHEERS!

Not sure if the OP is still paying attention, but if you aren't happy with linux and are sick of windows, you might consider a mac next time you are shopping for a new machine. I've been on mac for about 10 years, and work almost exclusively in Linux (at..work). I love linux, but I like my toys too and it's not worth the hassle to get them to sort of work. I spent a lot of time struggling with Poser 4 (pro) and wine. Yes, it ran, but it was slow and it crashed a lot. OS X is solid and generally the experience is better than what I've found it to be on windows and, you have access to a lot of the really good parts of linux (terminal is always there and you get bash and most of your favorite command line stuff right out of the box...though, some of the BSD programs differ quite a bit from their Linux counterparts...)

That said, very recently I bought my first windows machine since the early 2000s because Apple's silly obsession with tiny profiles and minimal power consumption means they don't use nVidia any more. I've been using windows 10 now for about 2 weeks and I think it's pretty clunky, but man does my nVidia 980 blow CPU rendering on my apple computer away so I'd say I'm happy enough, I guess. I'd love to be able to use something other than Windows for that, but I don't have any expectations that it will change anytime soon. 

Just a little "funny" to add to the thread.

Kendall

...nice.

edited December 2015
    Rogerbee said:

You know what folks, as fun as it was using Linux, not being able to use other things fully is beginning to grate on me big time!

I actually want windows 7 back!

Bye Linux, it was nice knowing you!

CHEERS!

Not sure if the OP is still paying attention, but if you aren't happy with linux and are sick of windows, you might consider a mac next time you are shopping for a new machine. I've been on mac for about 10 years, and work almost exclusively in Linux (at..work). I love linux, but I like my toys too and it's not worth the hassle to get them to sort of work. I spent a lot of time struggling with Poser 4 (pro) and wine. Yes, it ran, but it was slow and it crashed a lot. OS X is solid and generally the experience is better than what I've found it to be on windows and, you have access to a lot of the really good parts of linux (terminal is always there and you get bash and most of your favorite command line stuff right out of the box...though, some of the BSD programs differ quite a bit from their Linux counterparts...)

That said, very recently I bought my first windows machine since the early 2000s because Apple's silly obsession with tiny profiles and minimal power consumption means they don't use nVidia any more. I've been using windows 10 now for about 2 weeks and I think it's pretty clunky, but man does my nVidia 980 blow CPU rendering on my apple computer away so I'd say I'm happy enough, I guess. I'd love to be able to use something other than Windows for that, but I don't have any expectations that it will change anytime soon. 

...the main issue of Macs for many like Rogerbee and myself is the "cost of membership".  Great systems, but just out of our budgets for what you get.

• I don't know if it's been stated anywhere in the past 12 page, but it's not true that porting to Linux isn't practical for DAZ, since in many ways they already have a working codebase for it because of their work to support Mac OS X. It's especially true when you consider there are many open source projects that run on all three

jag11 said:

These are all the DLLs that are loaded in chronological order by DS 4.8 64bit:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exeC:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dllC:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dllC:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\BugTrap-x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dllC:\Windows\System32\sechost.dllC:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dllC:\Windows\System32\nsi.dllC:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dllC:\Windows\System32\combase.dllC:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\user32.dllC:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dllC:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\shell32.dllC:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dllC:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dllC:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dllC:\Windows\System32\profapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\ole32.dllC:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtGui4.dllC:\Windows\System32\imm32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msctf.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\Wldap32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtCore4.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10240.16384_none_0212ec7eba871e86\comctl32.dllC:\Windows\System32\wininet.dllC:\Windows\System32\version.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10240.16384_none_0212ec7eba871e86\comctl32.dllC:\Windows\System32\winmm.dllC:\Windows\System32\winspool.drvC:\Windows\System32\msvcp100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Qt3Support4.dllC:\Windows\System32\dsound.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpqxx.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_thread-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libeay32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ssleay32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dzcmsconnector.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtWebKit4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtSql4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtNetwork4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtScript4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtXml4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtOpenGL4.dllC:\Windows\System32\glu32.dllC:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_filesystem-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_system-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dllC:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dllC:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpq.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_chrono-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vclient_release_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vkernel_release_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vshared_release_x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dllC:\Windows\System32\devobj.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libintl-8.dllC:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dllC:\Windows\System32\secur32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icuuc30_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icuin30_x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dllC:\Windows\System32\sspicli.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icudt30.dllC:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dllC:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\tiptsf.dllC:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dllC:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qgif4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qico4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qjpeg4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qmng4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qtga4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qtiff4.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvoglv64.dllC:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\wtsapi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dllC:\Windows\System32\msasn1.dllC:\Windows\System32\crypt32.dllC:\Windows\System32\ntmarta.dllC:\Windows\System32\winsta.dllC:\Windows\System32\clbcatq.dllC:\Windows\System32\UIAutomationCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\userenv.dllC:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dllC:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dllC:\Windows\System32\sxs.dllC:\Windows\System32\oleacc.dllC:\Windows\System32\twinapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dllC:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dllC:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\rasadhlp.dllC:\Windows\System32\FWPUCLNT.DLLC:\Windows\System32\FWPUCLNT.DLLC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\aniMate2.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dazscriptide.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtScriptTools4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dbridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DazCollada.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcp80.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcr80.dllC:\Windows\System32\dbghelp.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcr80.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dconnexion.dllC:\Windows\System32\atl100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dmouse.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzalignace.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzassetiofilters.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautofit.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautoriggerbasic.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautoshaderbakeractions.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzbrycebridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzbvh.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcolladax.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcomponents.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcontentdbeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcontentlibrarypane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcr2exporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcustomizedlg.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\phonon4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzdelightrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dz3delight.dllC:\Windows\System32\psapi.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzdformeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzeasyloader.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzexpexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfbxexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfbximporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfiguresetup.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzgoz.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzhexagonbridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzimageio.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\OpenImageIO.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Imath.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Half.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_regex-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Iex.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpng15.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\zlib.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\IlmImf_dll.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_date_time-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\IlmThread.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzirayrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzjointeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzlayerededitor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzlayerfilter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmanualshaderbaker.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmaptransfer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphfollower.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphloader.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphloaderpro.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzobjexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzoptitexclothbasic.dllC:\Windows\System32\vcomp100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpolygongroupeditortool.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzprimitives.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpropertyhierarchyeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpuppeteer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpz3importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrenderedit.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrenderlibrary.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrslshadercompiler.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzsavefilters.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzscriptedrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzscriptedsteps.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshaderbaker.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshaderbuilder.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadereditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadermixerbase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadermixergui.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzsmartcontentpane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzspotrendertool.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dztextureatlas.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dztransferutility.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzu3dexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzweightmapbrush.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzwinvideo.dllC:\Windows\System32\avifil32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvfw32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msacm32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\lamhPlayerPlugin.64.dllC:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLLC:\Windows\System32\winnsi.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\sdk_sceneinfopane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\DzDrawStyles\dzdrawstyles.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose\dzpowerpose.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dllC:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\cudart64_65.dllC:\Windows\System32\wkscli.dllC:\Windows\System32\srvcli.dllC:\Windows\System32\netutils.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvapi64.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvcuda.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\axf_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\PaDllInterface_s.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\blend_render.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\cb_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\ct.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\dds.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\freeimage.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\gen_llvm.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\iray_bridge_client.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\iray_bridge_server.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libiray.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\optix_prime.1.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libirt.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\mi_exporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\mi_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\nvcuvid_video_decoder.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvcuvid.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\screen_video.dllC:\Windows\System32\NapiNSP.dllC:\Windows\System32\pnrpnsp.dllC:\Windows\System32\nlaapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dllC:\Windows\System32\DataExchange.dllC:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dllC:\Windows\System32\dcomp.dllC:\Windows\System32\d2d1.dllC:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dllC:\Windows\System32\edputil.dllC:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dllC:\Windows\System32\iertutil.dllC:\Windows\System32\policymanager.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcp110_win.dllC:\Windows\System32\xmllite.dll

HTH

Looks like a port of DAZ Studio is quite possible; look at the number of files in the C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ directory with Qt as the first two characters of the filename. Those files are from the Qt GUI system (http://www.qt.io) which is a cross-platform graphical user interface system that's been around for 20 years now (if you run any Linux Distribution that includes KDE, you've seen Qt in action).

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 2015
    As was stated earlier in the thread, it isn't the porting that is the issue, it is the cost of supporting another OS after the port is done.Kendall

I don't know if it's been stated anywhere in the past 12 page, but it's not true that porting to Linux isn't practical for DAZ, since in many ways they already have a working codebase for it because of their work to support Mac OS X. It's especially true when you consider there are many open source projects that run on all three

jag11 said:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exeC:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dllC:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dllC:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\BugTrap-x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dllC:\Windows\System32\sechost.dllC:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dllC:\Windows\System32\nsi.dllC:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dllC:\Windows\System32\combase.dllC:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\user32.dllC:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dllC:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\shell32.dllC:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dllC:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dllC:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dllC:\Windows\System32\profapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\ole32.dllC:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtGui4.dllC:\Windows\System32\imm32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msctf.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\Wldap32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtCore4.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10240.16384_none_0212ec7eba871e86\comctl32.dllC:\Windows\System32\wininet.dllC:\Windows\System32\version.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10240.16384_none_0212ec7eba871e86\comctl32.dllC:\Windows\System32\winmm.dllC:\Windows\System32\winspool.drvC:\Windows\System32\msvcp100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Qt3Support4.dllC:\Windows\System32\dsound.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpqxx.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_thread-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libeay32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ssleay32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dzcmsconnector.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtWebKit4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtSql4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtNetwork4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtScript4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtXml4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtOpenGL4.dllC:\Windows\System32\glu32.dllC:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_filesystem-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_system-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dllC:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dllC:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpq.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_chrono-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vclient_release_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vkernel_release_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vshared_release_x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dllC:\Windows\System32\devobj.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libintl-8.dllC:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dllC:\Windows\System32\secur32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icuuc30_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icuin30_x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dllC:\Windows\System32\sspicli.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icudt30.dllC:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dllC:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\tiptsf.dllC:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dllC:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qgif4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qico4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qjpeg4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qmng4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qtga4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qtiff4.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvoglv64.dllC:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\wtsapi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dllC:\Windows\System32\msasn1.dllC:\Windows\System32\crypt32.dllC:\Windows\System32\ntmarta.dllC:\Windows\System32\winsta.dllC:\Windows\System32\clbcatq.dllC:\Windows\System32\UIAutomationCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\userenv.dllC:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dllC:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dllC:\Windows\System32\sxs.dllC:\Windows\System32\oleacc.dllC:\Windows\System32\twinapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dllC:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dllC:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\rasadhlp.dllC:\Windows\System32\FWPUCLNT.DLLC:\Windows\System32\FWPUCLNT.DLLC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\aniMate2.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dazscriptide.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtScriptTools4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dbridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DazCollada.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcp80.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcr80.dllC:\Windows\System32\dbghelp.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcr80.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dconnexion.dllC:\Windows\System32\atl100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dmouse.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzalignace.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzassetiofilters.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautofit.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautoriggerbasic.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautoshaderbakeractions.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzbrycebridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzbvh.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcolladax.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcomponents.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcontentdbeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcontentlibrarypane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcr2exporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcustomizedlg.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\phonon4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzdelightrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dz3delight.dllC:\Windows\System32\psapi.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzdformeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzeasyloader.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzexpexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfbxexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfbximporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfiguresetup.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzgoz.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzhexagonbridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzimageio.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\OpenImageIO.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Imath.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Half.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_regex-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Iex.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpng15.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\zlib.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\IlmImf_dll.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_date_time-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\IlmThread.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzirayrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzjointeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzlayerededitor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzlayerfilter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmanualshaderbaker.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmaptransfer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphfollower.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphloader.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphloaderpro.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzobjexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzoptitexclothbasic.dllC:\Windows\System32\vcomp100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpolygongroupeditortool.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzprimitives.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpropertyhierarchyeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpuppeteer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpz3importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrenderedit.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrenderlibrary.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrslshadercompiler.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzsavefilters.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzscriptedrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzscriptedsteps.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshaderbaker.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshaderbuilder.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadereditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadermixerbase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadermixergui.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzsmartcontentpane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzspotrendertool.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dztextureatlas.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dztransferutility.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzu3dexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzweightmapbrush.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzwinvideo.dllC:\Windows\System32\avifil32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvfw32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msacm32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\lamhPlayerPlugin.64.dllC:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLLC:\Windows\System32\winnsi.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\sdk_sceneinfopane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\DzDrawStyles\dzdrawstyles.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose\dzpowerpose.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dllC:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\cudart64_65.dllC:\Windows\System32\wkscli.dllC:\Windows\System32\srvcli.dllC:\Windows\System32\netutils.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvapi64.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvcuda.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\axf_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\PaDllInterface_s.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\blend_render.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\cb_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\ct.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\dds.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\freeimage.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\gen_llvm.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\iray_bridge_client.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\iray_bridge_server.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libiray.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\optix_prime.1.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libirt.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\mi_exporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\mi_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\nvcuvid_video_decoder.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvcuvid.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\screen_video.dllC:\Windows\System32\NapiNSP.dllC:\Windows\System32\pnrpnsp.dllC:\Windows\System32\nlaapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dllC:\Windows\System32\DataExchange.dllC:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dllC:\Windows\System32\dcomp.dllC:\Windows\System32\d2d1.dllC:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dllC:\Windows\System32\edputil.dllC:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dllC:\Windows\System32\iertutil.dllC:\Windows\System32\policymanager.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcp110_win.dllC:\Windows\System32\xmllite.dll

HTH

Looks like a port of DAZ Studio is quite possible; look at the number of files in the C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ directory with Qt as the first two characters of the filename. Those files are from the Qt GUI system (http://www.qt.io) which is a cross-platform graphical user interface system that's been around for 20 years now (if you run any Linux Distribution that includes KDE, you've seen Qt in action).

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,153
    icecrmn said:

I'm not a programmer,but Daz Studio appears to be written in QT4.Thats the same language used by the KDE desktop.Would it really cost that much more to replace the MS specific parts?

Unless they've written sub-routines specifically for Windows, no. They do have a Mac version and that's what I run. A desire for a Linux version has been expressed on here for years, but never gets any traction. Windows has major security holes at the kernel level. To fix them, Microsoft will have to reduce profits as customers buy their other products to patch Windows. I used to be a Windows developer, so I know how easy it is to write viruses for it.

Thought I run Linux desktop and several servers, part of my decision to move to Mac from Windows was no Linux versions of Studio and Photoshop. I've now added Lightroom and Final Cut Pro to that mix. The only two games I still play both have Mac clients. My new laptop at work will have Ubuntu on it as well. Linux is making real inroads in the business community, even at the desktop level. Sure would be nice to have some love.

• As was stated earlier in the thread, it isn't the porting that is the issue, it is the cost of supporting another OS after the port is done. Kendall

I don't know if it's been stated anywhere in the past 12 page, but it's not true that porting to Linux isn't practical for DAZ, since in many ways they already have a working codebase for it because of their work to support Mac OS X. It's especially true when you consider there are many open source projects that run on all three

jag11 said:

HTH

Let those of us that want the client handle the support; that's how most of the software used on Linux is anyway, so it's not like people will be doing anything different that way.

• Seeking advice on what flavor of Linux to install.  I have used Slackware for years on a dual boot with Windows 7 OS on a laptop, but my husband is the one that installs it and keeps it updated.  I can never seem to wrap my head around installing software in Slackware.  I built my new desktop just for DAZ and had decided to keep it a Windows system.  However, I'm rethinking that idea.  I was running Windows 7 Home edition and needed to upgrade my ram from 16 to 32 GB and quickly figured out that Win 7 Home has a 16 GB limitation so had to upgrade (temporarily, I hope) to Windows 10 since it was free to upgrade.  I'm quickly learning that I can either upgrade (cost money) to Win 7 Professional or turn my desktop into at least a dual boot system and eventually get rid of Windows completely if I can get DS to run under Linux.

I would like to know is what the best flavor of Linux would be for someone who knows how to use Linux, but wants an easier way to get it installed and then install additional programs than what Slackware uses.  I would love to be able to set the whole thing up without constantly asking my husband for help.  I would really like to be able to get DS and Hexagon, maybe even Bryce or Vue or Infinito, running on Linux so that I might be able to totally get rid of Windows in the near future.

At the moment, I have a 3TB hard drive with Windows sitting on it along with all of my data files.  I have a 1 TB hard drive with nothing on it that I thought I would use for the Linux OS.  I should be able to set all of my data directories to be viewable under both Windows and Linux, at least for now.  I also have access to a 3 TB external hard drive that I'm gearing up to use for data backups.  Right now I have still have files on there that I'm burning to DVD for storage, but once it is empty, it will probably be dedicated to backup files.  If I need to, I can use that for data files that are viewable only to Linux if I can't get my current directories viewable under both OSs and figure out a different backup device.

DS and all of the associated DS programs are the only programs I run that need Windows.  All of my other programs are either native to Linux and have a Windows version which I'm using in my current system.  I've been using Linux so long that I've found suitable open source programs for all my day to day needs.  I leaned a long time ago that I would like stay away from Windows.  I should have remembered that when I started playing with DS.  Windows is getting old fast and this Windows 10 has been on my system for 3 days and I absolutely hate it.

I'm looking for any and all advice here because you guys all seem to be making headway in getting DS to work in Linux.  I'm currently reading through the thread, but I'm only about halfway through the thread at the moment.

Thanks,

Cathy