November Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I added 2 spot lights to act as rim lights.

Witchy_Woman_32.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 370K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,545
    edited December 1969

Looks really good now Kismet2012

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Really nice. The eyes look great.

• Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

I think she is just about done

black_betty7.png
    618 x 800 - 657K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited November 2014

@kaotkbliss Ok i can see the bell now, i think it should be somehow in front of the figure holding it, but it is ok like that too. For bullets i think they should go behind tree or those sand bags, and debris i think it should somehow be smaller and fit into that explosion. You are almost there, i like it a lot :)

@Kismet If you ask me i would go with usual eyes giving her more human look. I would tone down light a bit especialy on the hands and turn it red also and somehow turn a pic a bit gothic in mood, like here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5164HB2PPRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg that means, adding a background light to simulate the light from the moon (white) and play a bit more with contrasts of the lights. Maybe even to turn that face light to a bit redish (because of the magic effect) or maybe all closer lights to redish though i am not sure if it will look better :), but those were my thoughs :D

@Security 16 I like it

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • MicheleMichele Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Hi, everyone :-) I removed my pic from the finished thread because I submitted there first by accident. Since then I have made some edits to my piece. I have been working in Daz studio for about 4 months now. Please don't be shy about constructive critic. :-)
    I uploaded the larger version here so you can see the scene better and to make critique easier. :-)

Bethovens_Moon_light_Sonata_02.jpg
    2000 x 750 - 782K
    edited December 1969

gwydyons said:
    Hi, everyone :-) I removed my pic from the finished thread because I submitted there first by accident. Since then I have made some edits to my piece. I have been working in Daz studio for about 4 months now. Please don't be shy about constructive critic. :-)
    I uploaded the larger version here so you can see the scene better and to make critique easier. :-)

Nice reflections on the floor. The rim light on your male figure makes him easier to see now than he was before.

edited December 1969

@Gwydyons I think that maybe shield is not really needed, else is done very nicely.

Ok here is what i have, i have worked a bit more on the picture. I have a problem though, this Ammo Box is new object i have used, but i am not sure if i got textures right http://www.sharecg.com/v/52188/browse/5/3D-Model/Ammo-Box There are 4 of them and they are shown on the preview picture to the right. 1st one probably goes to Diffuse Colour, 2nd to Displacement Strength, 3rd Bump Strength, and 4th i am not sure is it Specular Strenght or Reflection or Refraction Color. Can someone help me with this please?

In_the_end.jpg
    800 x 800 - 514K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

gwydyons said:

Lovely colors gwydyons and she has a lovely expression too. I think I would work on her feet. It looks like she is too high above the floor and her feet are just being dragged along. I would look at some modern dancer's feet when they are in mid-step to see how they position their toes and feet.
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    @Gwydyons I think that maybe shield is not really needed, else is done very nicely.

Ok here is what i have, i have worked a bit more on the picture. I have a problem though, this Ammo Box is new object i have used, but i am not sure if i got textures right http://www.sharecg.com/v/52188/browse/5/3D-Model/Ammo-Box There are 4 of them and they are shown on the preview picture to the right. 1st one probably goes to Diffuse Colour, 2nd to Displacement Strength, 3rd Bump Strength, and 4th i am not sure is it Specular Strenght or Reflection or Refraction Color. Can someone help me with this please?

Yes the first goes in the Diffuse colour, the 2nd one goes into your specular colour, the 3rd is a normal map and goes in the normal map channel. Not sure what the fourth is for. Glow usually means that there is a hot spot that is brighter then the rest of the object.
    edited December 1969

Not sure if this will help Gulan.

Ammo Box on Left

- Diffus.tga in diffuse colour channel
    - Specular.tga in specular colour channel
    - Glow.tga in ambient strength channel
    - Normal.tga in normal map channel
    - Lighting Model to metallic

Ammo Box on Right has the settings you listed in your post.

I used Default lights.

ammo_box_2.png
    1000 x 562 - 134K
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, it works :D, i need to find a good Mech now :) or something similar. It seems those mechs i had in mind are gone. Here they were
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/archive/index.php/t-35470.html
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?45075-Madcat-Mech-freebie
    And here is a picture of some of them
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?favorite&user_id=380922&image_id=1343127&member;&np;
    Anyway here is my updated picture

In_the_end.jpg
    800 x 800 - 516K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

This still needs a lot of work. I tried to incorporate some of the album art with the pose for the hooded lantern holder using Michael 6. Trying to use the lyrics I tried to simulate a burning heart. It sounds easy but adding the flames is a challenge. Then added a render of a black dog for the title of the song. I used Litlith 6 in the Love Potion outfit with a lot of red for the lyrics "eyes that shine burning red." It makes her a litlle whimsical for the lyrics "dreams of you all through my head." And I made her hips a little bigger for the lyrics " a big legged woman ain't got no soul."

Coming along well...I particularly like the robed figure and the black dog. I would think about other ways to interpret the "burning heart." The environment is good, but you might want to play up the dreamlike/surreal angle a bit, and one way to do that might be with the set (either lighting or composition...think M.C. Escher or Salvador Dali, though maybe you don't want to take it that far).

Now I've got the song in my head, which I think means you're doing your job. ;-)

edited December 1969

Been jumping back and forth between multiple projects, but I've finally got an update for this.
    Added a couple items for the soldiers, Adjusted the reaper's arm so you can see what he's carrying a bit better, and I was having problems with the debris in front of the explosion on the right side not rendering, so I layered the texture with the explosion.

Nice improvements. I'd still like to see some rubble in the foreground. If you want to postwork your image, consider decreasing the saturation a bit to take some of the color out of it (you might be able to achieve the same in-render by playing with the lighting and surfaces, if you'd prefer).
    edited November 2014

Very nice! I'm loving those eyes, and the overall look of the image. One or more of your lights are casting really sharp shadows, though, on her face and upper chest in particular. Hard shadows can make the image look dramatic, but if it were me I'd think about increasing shadow softness. The only other thing I'm not 100% sold on is the sparks...maybe try increasing the Ambient value in order to make them brighter?
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

I think she is just about done

Your figure is looking great. Not seeing the shadow at all now, and the image seems a little empty without it. A prop or two (furniture, perhaps) might make the whole thing more believable.
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Thanks a lot, it works :D, i need to find a good Mech now :) or something similar. It seems those mechs i had in mind are gone. Here they were
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/archive/index.php/t-35470.html
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?45075-Madcat-Mech-freebie
    And here is a picture of some of them
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?favorite&user_id=380922&image_id=1343127&member;&np;
    Anyway here is my updated picture

Looking good overall, and I think you got the textures set up well on the ammo box. I still think it might be better if you do more to draw the viewer's eye to your character, either through composition (rule of thirds, perhaps) or lighting or both.
  • wflakswflaks Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

ok changed the skin colour and added foam to the sea, what do you think guys?

foamed_up.jpg
    800 x 800 - 536K
  • KittiKitti Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone! Quick question - my renders keep coming out with hazy gray hair & eyes, does anyone know what causes that? It's a common problem I seem to have with all my renders across the board, I've played with various light settings but nothing seems to touch it.

It's specifically noticeable with hair highlights - for example my OC's hair is a vibrant plum but on the highlighted parts it's dull and washed out. I started to notice it on a background characters eyes, but looking closer I can see that everything in my scene has this discernible dull haze to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edited December 1969

Hey everyone! Quick question - my renders keep coming out with hazy gray hair & eyes, does anyone know what causes that? It's a common problem I seem to have with all my renders across the board, I've played with various light settings but nothing seems to touch it.

It's specifically noticeable with hair highlights - for example my OC's hair is a vibrant plum but on the highlighted parts it's dull and washed out. I started to notice it on a background characters eyes, but looking closer I can see that everything in my scene has this discernible dull haze to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The eye problem I think may be the shader for the eye reflection surface maybe check the lighting models in the surfaces tab

edited December 1969

@Scott-Livingston I will try. That link is very useful. I still need to add few props then i will be on it. Thanks for reminder, I am not sure yet what will i make of it :)

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited November 2014

gulan7 said:
    Thanks a lot, it works :D, i need to find a good Mech now :) or something similar...
    Some free mechs here that might be suitable: http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?productformat=&txtCriteria=mech
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
    edited December 1969

I've now added a background and the picture is still rendering in luxrender so here is a preview

black_betty.jpg
    643 x 822 - 634K
    edited December 1969

I've now added a background and the picture is still rendering in luxrender so here is a preview

It looks good except for her right foot. It is floating about the ground. I do not get the impression from the pose that she is taking a step...but I could be wrong.

• KittiKitti Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

@Security 16 Very neat - it almost reminds me of skid row from Little Shop of Horrors! I agree that the shadow seems a little off but her pose is very fluid.

edited December 1969

I have moved camera a bit, i think now it might be a bit better. Added mech too, not the best one but :) i think it looks ok for now :D.

In_the_end.jpg
    800 x 800 - 497K
    edited December 1969

The render didn't go as planned I need to change the lights yet again I think

edited December 1969

wflaks said:
    ok changed the skin colour and added foam to the sea, what do you think guys?

Nice work, this is looking better to me.
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    I have moved camera a bit, i think now it might be a bit better. Added mech too, not the best one but :) i think it looks ok for now :D.

Yes, looks better to me. And I think the mech is fine, though you might want to throw a little more light onto it (maybe just a portion of it) to bring out some of the detail.
    edited December 1969

Yes i was thinking about that, and to add some Depth of Field, but i am not sure how it will look like as that model is not very good. I will try. Thanks for advice :D