November Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• MicheleMichele Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

I think I will try to make a picture based on the classical music Beethoven's Moonlight sonata. :cheese: I'll be posting in a few days.

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited November 2014

I am still working on it and have added some things and trying to work out some other things. To Dollygirl: DAZ 3D has a wonderful whale model. It would have been nice for me to have more control of the model I used. The waves are a mix of custom height fields and Bryce terrain generator. Water textures are from the Bryce texture lab. No Postwork on the render.

Congrats to the October winners; 1st - Bodach-rocais by Atticus Bones
    2nd - Graveyard by MN-150374
    HM - From the Grave by mibmusic

Everyone here does a fantastic job and it is a extreme challenge and honor to compete with all of you in many ways for me.

to_the_last2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 105K
    Post edited by Xangth on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Inspired by the Eagles song Witchy Woman

Witchy_Woman_14.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 354K
  • XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Very cool Kismet2012 love the image and that tune.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Very cool Kismet2012 love the image and that tune.

Thank you.

I really like the additional of the 2nd long boat to your image.

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited November 2014

How about some classic "flashlight under the chin" lighting? Here's a good description: http://www.impworks.co.uk/2007/10/vue-lighting-rig-5-halloween-special/
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited November 2014

I have my first render uploaded to entries thread. I have figured how to make morphs and i think i made a good progress. Now lets see if i can do another. Wonderful pics btw, i like the whale and Witchy woman abd Faerie too.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

How about some classic "flashlight under the chin" lighting? Here's a good description: http://www.impworks.co.uk/2007/10/vue-lighting-rig-5-halloween-special/

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Atticus.

edited December 1969

Revised version using Atticus Bones' suggestion.

Witchy_Woman_17.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 351K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Is it my imagination, or is your background stretched on the horizontal axis. THe moon appears to be ovoid rather than truly round

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Is it my imagination, or is your background stretched on the horizontal axis. THe moon appears to be ovoid rather than truly round

It is not your imagination. It is something I need to fix. I was concentrating too much on the figure's pose and lighting to notice the problem with the background image. :red:

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Latest version. I ended up adding both a Distant Light and 2 Spot Lights. I also added some grass.

I like what you did with the grass Kismet and I like the dappling of the light on the horse's back and side. Nice touch to put the grass around the tree :-) I am wondering though do you want to do more?

What do you suggest? I am totally open to suggestions.

That is a hard one. I read the lyrics 4 times and still did not understand what she was trying to say. Had to go find her description of the meaning so I found out the following:
    1. The black horse is suppose to represent evil
    2. The cherry tree is suppose to represent good
    3. Don't mistreat your heart because if you do you might not find true happiness.
    4. There are choices in life to make, so make sure you make your choices that will make you happy and are true to yourself.

This song is pretty abstract so if I were putting it together I would go abstract too. I think I would add a human heart http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/human-heart-2-79840.html into the scene some how. Maybe add some ribbons http://www.sharecg.com/v/14748/gallery/5/3D-Model/Helix and a pair of scissors. Maybe incorporate a path that splits in two behind the horse and the tree one leading to something of light the other to darkness. Just ideas and if you don't want to work on the image anymore and are happy with it then that is okay too.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Latest version. I ended up adding both a Distant Light and 2 Spot Lights. I also added some grass.

I like what you did with the grass Kismet and I like the dappling of the light on the horse's back and side. Nice touch to put the grass around the tree :-) I am wondering though do you want to do more?

What do you suggest? I am totally open to suggestions.

That is a hard one. I read the lyrics 4 times and still did not understand what she was trying to say. Had to go find her description of the meaning so I found out the following:
    1. The black horse is suppose to represent evil
    2. The cherry tree is suppose to represent good
    3. Don't mistreat your heart because if you do you might not find true happiness.
    4. There are choices in life to make, so make sure you make your choices that will make you happy and are true to yourself.

This song is pretty abstract so if I were putting it together I would go abstract too. I think I would add a human heart http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/human-heart-2-79840.html into the scene some how. Maybe add some ribbons http://www.sharecg.com/v/14748/gallery/5/3D-Model/Helix and a pair of scissors. Maybe incorporate a path that splits in two behind the horse and the tree one leading to something of light the other to darkness. Just ideas and if you don't want to work on the image anymore and are happy with it then that is okay too.

Thank you DollyGirl. I did not know that about that song. Some very interesting suggestions. Unfortunately the link to ShareCG isn't working at the moment but I will see what I can do.

edited December 1969

Title: #FaerieSelfie
    Software: DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro
    Song: #SELFIE (Official Music Video) - The Chainsmokers
    Idea: When some drunk chick stumbles into a filthy bathroom and decides that's a good time & place for a picture.

What, that's never happened to you?

#duckface #selfie #yeathatshot

I love my character and I'm sorry for putting her through this - but I couldn't help myself!

So here are the issues I'm having:

1. Right Hand Pose - how do I make her grasp the wand handle?
    2. Guy character's eyes are kind of washed out, hair is also a little underexposed; it's supposed to be dark brown. If it has to do with lights how can I fix this without altering the "grungy-club-bathroom" ambiance?
    3. Left Hand pose - I want it to naturally form with the cheek, but since the dress isn't skin tight I can't get the hand close without it colliding with the skirt, how can I push the fabric closer to her body to give it a more natural interaction?
    4. I want the floating star in the wand to act like a camera flash, is there a way to give it aberration, lens flare or rays within DAZ? (current flare was added in Photoshop)
    5. Sink counter black hole. So far this whole scene is lit with just 1 distant light and a bunch of various spot lights - is there a way to slightly brighten up this black hole without creating a distracting light source? This one isn't a big deal, I can live with it if the fix is going to take a lot of tinkering or bog down the rendering time.

Of course first impressions, general feedback, and criticism is openly welcomed! I'm brand new to CG so definitely let me know of anything that isn't right or needs attention.

Thanks so much!

Hi kittisiubhan
    I love character renders and your fae is a cutie. I think your questions are a good base for fixing things in the image so here are my suggestions:
    1. Right Hand Pose - how do I make her grasp the wand handle?
    I find that there is nothing like doing something in the real world. The current hand position is more for a larger cylinder type object. I picked up my pencil and what do you know I hold a skinny cylinder just a little bit differently. So my suggestion is hold a pencil in your right hand and then move the fingers accordingly.
    2. Guy character's eyes are kind of washed out, hair is also a little underexposed; it's supposed to be dark brown. If it has to do with lights how can I fix this without altering the "grungy-club-bathroom" ambiance?
    I would try some spots but only turn on the secularity and see what that does. You want the spots to point towards where you want the secularity.
    3. Left Hand pose - I want it to naturally form with the cheek, but since the dress isn't skin tight I can't get the hand close without it colliding with the skirt, how can I push the fabric closer to her body to give it a more natural interaction?
    I believe that this tutorial will help you with the issue of the skirt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEBV2GHJHA
    4. I want the floating star in the wand to act like a camera flash, is there a way to give it aberration, lens flare or rays within DAZ? (current flare was added in Photoshop)
    It would seem that the store does not currently have anything that will work with DAZ 4.6 so if I wanted not to do postwork then I would create a primitive plane and apply the flare image onto it. You would have to create a transmap. To do that pull the flare image into PS and convert it to a black and white image. Add a layer and fill with black place this layer behind the flare layer. Save out as a jpg. Add this image to the opacity channel on the plane's surface tab. Add the flare image to the diffuse channel. Position and scale the plane to be in front of your wand. Parent the plane to the wand that way if you need to move the wand the flare will follow it. Make sure you keep the plane perpendicular to the camera.
    5. Sink counter black hole. So far this whole scene is lit with just 1 distant light and a bunch of various spot lights - is there a way to slightly brighten up this black hole without creating a distracting light source? This one isn't a big deal, I can live with it if the fix is going to take a lot of tinkering or bog down the rendering time.
    I don't see the black hole you are referring to. I see all four sinks just fine.

Well I think that is good for now. Looking forward to what you come up with.

edited December 1969

Thought I'd share a link to a PDF that some of you may find useful: http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/gallery/files/innovations/2007/Gilbert_Jennifer_392/Innovations_JenniferGilbert.pdf
    It's an essay by a student at Bournemouth University concerning "The Influence of Music on Painting and Animation".

An interesting read Atticus. Thank you for the link.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    I am still working on it and have added some things and trying to work out some other things. To Dollygirl: DAZ 3D has a wonderful whale model. It would have been nice for me to have more control of the model I used. The waves are a mix of custom height fields and Bryce terrain generator. Water textures are from the Bryce texture lab. No Postwork on the render.

Congrats to the October winners; 1st - Bodach-rocais by Atticus Bones
    2nd - Graveyard by MN-150374
    HM - From the Grave by mibmusic

Everyone here does a fantastic job and it is a extreme challenge and honor to compete with all of you in many ways for me.

Thank you Xangth for the info. Ahh Bryce. I just gotta get in and work more with that program. The detail that you are achieving with the sea is very beautiful. I like what you have done to the whale as well. He looks like the water is still on him and he is not dry.
    I would suggest that you put a steersman in each of your boats holding on to a rudder. From some research I have done on the internet it looks like a whaleboat had a crew of between 4 and 6 men. A bowman, 2 to 4 oarsmen and one steersman. The steersman was usually the Captain or a mate.
    Love the strain of the men you can see on the boats.

edited December 1969

I like this image. Have you thought about making her eyes glow?

edited December 1969

Thank you DollyGirl. I did not know that about that song. Some very interesting suggestions. Unfortunately the link to ShareCG isn't working at the moment but I will see what I can do.

Your welcome Kismet. Really looking forward to what you do. And I just checked ShareCG and it is working at this time.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

That's a good idea, or cat like eyes

keeper_of_dreams_cateyes_3.jpg
    540 x 720 - 274K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

This was inspired by the song "Let Her Go" by Passenger. it's not quite what I intended but I couldn't get Stephanie's arm to bend the way I needed it to.

Let_Her_Go_2.jpg
    589 x 658 - 325K
    edited December 1969

@Kismet I think you need to conect lightning with those special effects from hands, something like here http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/126/e/f/witch_by_evren_ince-d64d58y.jpg

• wflakswflaks Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hi , i call this one "Six Months In A Leaky Boat " by Split Enz

Used Daz4.6 , Daz 4.7 and Gimp 2

Any comments are most welcome.

6_months_in_a_leaky_boat.jpg
    800 x 800 - 472K
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

This was inspired by the song "Let Her Go" by Passenger. it's not quite what I intended but I couldn't get Stephanie's arm to bend the way I needed it to.

I'm assuming you wanted her hand to be just leaving his, correct? In her current pose, that kind of stretch on a person would be very uncomfortable if even possible.

2 ways I would handle it are, either twist the torso into a more natural pose for this stretch which would put her back towards the camera. Then turn her head so you see the side of her face looing away from him.

The other option would be to change which hands they are letting go of (use the arms/hands closer to the camera) then twist her torso so she's more facing the camera.

Imagining it in my mind, I think the first way would look more dramatic but really it boils down to what looks better when actually viewing it.

edited December 1969

I'm assuming you wanted her hand to be just leaving his, correct? In her current pose, that kind of stretch on a person would be very uncomfortable if even possible.

2 ways I would handle it are, either twist the torso into a more natural pose for this stretch which would put her back towards the camera. Then turn her head so you see the side of her face looing away from him.

The other option would be to change which hands they are letting go of (use the arms/hands closer to the camera) then twist her torso so she's more facing the camera.

Imagining it in my mind, I think the first way would look more dramatic but really it boils down to what looks better when actually viewing it.

That's exactly what i wanted to do, lol. I'll try your suggestions

edited December 1969

I really like where this is going.

edited December 1969

Still some small edits and I'm not too sure about the tree. I think there just might be too much going on, on that side of the image with the tree there...

I like the pose of the Dead Soldier commanding his troops. It marries nicely with the explosion on the right.

Just a quibble - what is the guy in the back reaching for?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Dollygirl said:

That's a good idea, or cat like eyes

How did you get the eyeshine? Can you do that in Daz Studio ?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

I like the pose of the Dead Soldier commanding his troops. It marries nicely with the explosion on the right.

Just a quibble - what is the guy in the back reaching for?

You might be able to see it now, although I think I've lightened it up too much (It's so hard to tell because I do most of my work on my home PC which has a much brighter monitor than most so everything shows up a lot more.)

Anyways, once I get the lighting correct for a normal monitor, I'm going to add another wound to that soldier (there's one in his leg, I'm going to add one to his side)
    I also need to light up the muzzle of the firing rifle just a tad, adjust the clumps of grass (maybe even shrink them down a bit as they are hiding the "exploding" dirt from the gunfire behind them)
    And I need to figure out why the debris that should be flying up around the explosion on the far right keeps getting rendered out.

For_Whom_the_Bell_Tolls.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    edited November 2014

It might be a little to bright but finaly everything is clearly visible. I can see buletts to the left lower corner and reaper. Also there is something to the right that i am not sure what it is.

About color monitors you should try calibrating your monitor as it is important if you want to have good colors on your screen. Here are few links but you can google for more just try entering calibrate monitor or calibrate monitor test.

Here are links first one has 4 pages and have just basic instructions how to do it, 2nd has calibration tests where you can actualy test if your display show good pictures comparing to the test ones, and 3rd is extra where it actualy show printed picture test. I think if it is not enough you should maybe find more online tests so you can make it look good. I am hoping you can do that right, because you just need to adjust a bit brightness and other parameters.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241957/how_to_calibrate_your_monitor.html
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-online-tools-calibrate-monitor/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-Your-Monitor

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

One more thing i wanted to say, entry renders should be up to 800 pixels in size, so keep that in mind also because size of the picture might be important.

And here is my work from yesterday, it seems i have been done something to my DS while canceling my render and later i got 2 hours render on preview lowest setting. Also i am posting 2nd picture i did this morning after computer restart which took 15 minutes to render and though it is much slower then my usual previews it is still better then 2 hours :). Now as i have a bit older computer i need to ask few questions. How many polygons for a model is usual, i mean for DS what is high poly and what is low poly, i just need some reference about it, because i will need to keep count of that for my scenes in the future just not to be slowed down too much with using yoo high poly modles for my computer. I was thinking yesterday that i need to first get better knowledge about models i use before actualy working with them, so i can know what i can actualy do.

Anyway here are my pics, this is just a start, i thought to add some props and probably will do it, but i already have 2 bigger structures in my scene and i am not sure how to continue. I also was thinking to add one a bit coloured light to make some inside atmosphere. Song is In the end by Linkin park inspired with SF Mecha battles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGP29mDj0U

15.jpg
    800 x 800 - 410K
    In_the_end.jpg
    800 x 800 - 522K