November Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• wflakswflaks Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

just wondering if anyone can see my post/pic from above ?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,545
    edited December 1969

wflaks said:
    Hi , i call this one "Six Months In A Leaky Boat " by Split Enz

Used Daz4.6 , Daz 4.7 and Gimp 2

Any comments are most welcome.

Looks pretty neat, like the old mans weathered face.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    wflaks said:

Thanks Totte,i'm still very new at this,would there be anything you think i need to change in it

edited December 1969

wflaks said:
    Totte said:
    wflaks said:

Thanks Totte,i'm still very new at this,would there be anything you think i need to change in it

I would work in lighting to get subtle shadows in the face, try light it more from one side, which makes it look better. Use spotlights with shadows or even linear point lights with shadows, and let them fade quickly so the only light up the background slightly.

(I'm not a render expert really, I'm more of a tech expert, but this is what I would do, but was my turn to run the contest so I'll try to help out as much as I can)

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

@Wflaks Maybe you should try moving his body a bit, i like his face but body seems a bit to static.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

wflaks said:

Really great start, love the character and the effects, but he does need a better pose. Maybe ducking away from the incoming water.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I fixed the background image and made a few other adjustments.

Witchy_Woman_25.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 323K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Great improvements

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited November 2014

Wonderful progress, Kismet 2012. If i'm being super critical, i'd say an area for improvement would now be the spell effects on the fingertips. The effects are barely visible and could be missed on first glance. Need to find a way to really crank up that magic! Great job on the background btw.
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Wow everyones images are excellent. Thanks for the suggestion Dollygirl and everyone I reworked some of the characters and created new long boats. I am still working on this. No Postwork on the newest render. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

to_the_last2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 105K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Yes nice progress from you all. The key to anything wonderful is the details, things like rocks, plants even dust can make or break an image.

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited November 2014

Xangth said:
    Wow everyones images are excellent. Thanks for the suggestion Dollygirl and everyone I reworked some of the characters and created new long boats. I am still working on this. No Postwork on the newest render. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Looking good! Just to clarify, is it your intention to have the boats hunting the whale? If so, it's not explicitly apparent (which is fine), though you might what to included some harpoons in the scene. Not necessarily jutting from the whale, though that certainly might be worth trying... Nothing fancy, even an elongated cylinder primitive.

Another idea that I think will kick it up a level would be to add some rainbow where the light's reflecting/refracting through the water droplets.

Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • MicheleMichele Posts: 48
    edited November 2014

Here is the edit to shed more light on the model standing toward the back. Let me know if it needs any more editing. I did edit some shaders on the vase's and corrected some poke through too.

Bethovens_Moon_light_Sonata_02_lighten.jpg
    800 x 300 - 189K
    Moonlight_Sanata_Edit_.jpg
    800 x 300 - 188K
    Post edited by Michele on
    edited December 1969

gwydyons said:
    I posted in the other contest thread, thinking that's where I was supposed post first. Anyways here is my piece based on Beethoven's moon light sonata.

a good start! The guy in the back is a little dark, needs a little subtle light on him.

• MicheleMichele Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Thank you, I will see what I can do. I want to try to preserve the current look. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone ,i'll start on the changes also in the Daz 4.7 the LAMH will not work,anyone else having the same problem?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

wflaks said:
    Thanks everyone ,i'll start on the changes also in the Daz 4.7 the LAMH will not work,anyone else having the same problem?

I used 4.7 for a couple days but reverted back to 4.6
    First, it borked my content database so I had to reset everything
    Then, I don't know much about UV maps but in 4.6 I could at least see shapes. In 4.7 it just looked like someone went crazy with a black crayon.
    Renders took a lot longer in 4.7 (although that may be due to some setting as it was completing every bucket area before moving on instead of just getting the basic colors and gradually clearing it up each pass)

Still, in just the couple days I used it, I saw it still had much that needed fixed.

edited December 1969

wflaks said:

I used 4.7 for a couple days but reverted back to 4.6
    First, it borked my content database so I had to reset everything
    Then, I don't know much about UV maps but in 4.6 I could at least see shapes. In 4.7 it just looked like someone went crazy with a black crayon.
    Renders took a lot longer in 4.7 (although that may be due to some setting as it was completing every bucket area before moving on instead of just getting the basic colors and gradually clearing it up each pass)

Still, in just the couple days I used it, I saw it still had much that needed fixed.

My Dynamic Clothes no longer work in Daz 4.6 but will work in Daz 4.7 , so i need to use both, 2 pictures then put them into GIMP 2 to merge them for the look.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions. It's getting close to being completed.

to_the_last3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 103K
  • Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Well I went with the song Black Betty and I decided to give the reality plug in a chance but I'm not sure of the results but here she is

Black_betty4.png
    618 x 800 - 431K
    edited December 1969

wow Security 16 very nice realistic render. Nice

edited December 1969

What do you think? made a few changes as suggested, made him do an action pose, also gave him a bit of a sun tan look.....well slightly burnt for being in the sun., the picture relates to the title on the radio

this was only a fast render in case for more changes, hope this what you guys meant , again thank you for the suggestion .:)

6.jpg
    800 x 800 - 560K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited November 2014

@Xangth and Wflaks Much better, i like how it is done :) I have started working a bit with Bryce, i think i really need that now. Just rendered a premade scene wintery like. I hope to continue with my work soon on the 2nd picture.

@Security 16 Looks good, i like shadow.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited November 2014

SGCBearcub: I like the woman's body language and expression. I'd suggest working some more on the man's. His pose is confident and his face hard to read; I'd like to see a little more vulnerability or emotion from him. Try bringing his shoulders forward a little and turning his body (not just his head) to face her. The lighting looks OK...adding a back light/rim light might help to accentuate the characters. kaotkbliss had some good ideas too, so experiment with a few different looks and see what appeals to you. This is a nice start, though!

kaotkbliss: Yes, a little too bright, I think...or to be more specific the ambient lighting is too strong. In terms of composition, I like it, but I want to see some debris or military-type props in the foreground to help set the scene. The posing is great, and the ghostly soldier and explosions look very good too.

gulan7: The rule used to be 800 pixels per side, but we (the judges) are fine with images that are somewhat larger. We don't have an "official" new size limit yet, but it's something we have discussed. Make sure your character's boots are resting on the floor and not sinking into it (I couldn't tell if they were or not). The lighting is nice and realistic, but in terms of aesthetics I think you should concentrate on lighting the character (and possibly the vehicle as well) in a way that makes them jump out of the environment in order to draw the viewer's eyes. You might think about changing composition too, for the same reason. If you look at (contemporary) military recruitment posters and ads, there is almost always a strong focus on the individual soldier. You might try for a similar feel.

Kismet2012: Great work, and very nice improvement over your previous post...it's looking kind of like a finished piece, to be honest (though certainly keep working on it if you aren't fully satisfied). My only suggestion is similar to what I said above...try using rim lighting to separate the character from the environment a little...with her dark hair and clothing, she sort of blends in with the scenery. I think that's the main weakness at this point. Her eyes and expression look great, and you did a very good job with the "sparks fly[ing] from her fingertips."

gwydyons: My policy is not to comment on images that have already been submitted to the entries thread, but if you're not done with it you can remove it and then re-submit once it's finished. It looks good, though...that's all I'll say for now. :)

Xangth: Looking very nice...I like the composition and I love the water spray. The lighting is coming along but I think there's still room for improvement there. I'm not expert enough at Bryce lighting to coach you very much there, except to say look for some tutorials by David Brinnen (there are plenty of free ones out there).

Security 16: Lighting looks very nice...skin looks pretty good too (not a Reality user so unfortunately I can't help there). The main issue I see is the shadow...it's very dark, rather sharp, and falls close to the figure's body. If you can alter your lighting and set so that the shadow is softer or falls further from her body I think that might improve the overall appearance. In terms of the shadow, something like this.

wflaks: Really nice work...I love the dynamism and energy. If the body of water is supposed to be the ocean (or even a lake), you might try making the water a little less transparent...think whitewater. The skin seems a little too burned to me...like oven-burned rather than sunburned. Maybe make it tanner or redder, and less mottled-looking. Otherwise I'd say this is fantastic.

I know I missed some people who had posted renders earlier in the thread...if you still have questions that weren't addressed by others, please let me know (or post an update and I'll comment on that).

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

kaotkbliss: Yes, a little too bright, I think...or to be more specific the ambient lighting is too strong. In terms of composition, I like it, but I want to see some debris or military-type props in the foreground to help set the scene. The posing is great, and the ghostly soldier and explosions look very good too.

Thank you. I had added a distant light to help brighten it up when it was too dark so I've been adjusting that to get the lighting at a good level.

I'll have to see if I have any military props and debris to add around the soldiers.

• Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

I changed her pose a bit but still not quite happy with it. The shadow on the last one was a bit odd and reality lights are a real pain in the butt to get used to
    Back to the drawing board I suppose :)

Black_betty5.png
    618 x 800 - 665K
  • kreartenitkreartenit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

This still needs a lot of work. I tried to incorporate some of the album art with the pose for the hooded lantern holder using Michael 6. Trying to use the lyrics I tried to simulate a burning heart. It sounds easy but adding the flames is a challenge. Then added a render of a black dog for the title of the song. I used Litlith 6 in the Love Potion outfit with a lot of red for the lyrics "eyes that shine burning red." It makes her a litlle whimsical for the lyrics "dreams of you all through my head." And I made her hips a little bigger for the lyrics " a big legged woman ain't got no soul."

Black_Dog_1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 351K
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    @Xangth and Wflaks Much better, i like how it is done :) I have started working a bit with Bryce, i think i really need that now. Just rendered a premade scene wintery like. I hope to continue with my work soon on the 2nd picture.

@Security 16 Looks good, i like shadow.

thank you , still got a long way to go :)

edited December 1969

SGCBearcub: I like the woman's body language and expression. I'd suggest working some more on the man's. His pose is confident and his face hard to read; I'd like to see a little more vulnerability or emotion from him. Try bringing his shoulders forward a little and turning his body (not just his head) to face her. The lighting looks OK...adding a back light/rim light might help to accentuate the characters. kaotkbliss had some good ideas too, so experiment with a few different looks and see what appeals to you. This is a nice start, though!

gulan7: The rule used to be 800 pixels per side, but we (the judges) are fine with images that are somewhat larger. We don't have an "official" new size limit yet, but it's something we have discussed. Make sure your character's boots are resting on the floor and not sinking into it (I couldn't tell if they were or not). The lighting is nice and realistic, but in terms of aesthetics I think you should concentrate on lighting the character (and possibly the vehicle as well) in a way that makes them jump out of the environment in order to draw the viewer's eyes. You might think about changing composition too, for the same reason. If you look at (contemporary) military recruitment posters and ads, there is almost always a strong focus on the individual soldier. You might try for a similar feel.

Kismet2012: Great work, and very nice improvement over your previous post...it's looking kind of like a finished piece, to be honest (though certainly keep working on it if you aren't fully satisfied). My only suggestion is similar to what I said above...try using rim lighting to separate the character from the environment a little...with her dark hair and clothing, she sort of blends in with the scenery. I think that's the main weakness at this point. Her eyes and expression look great, and you did a very good job with the "sparks fly[ing] from her fingertips."

gwydyons: My policy is not to comment on images that have already been submitted to the entries thread, but if you're not done with it you can remove it and then re-submit once it's finished. It looks good, though...that's all I'll say for now. :)

Xangth: Looking very nice...I like the composition and I love the water spray. The lighting is coming along but I think there's still room for improvement there. I'm not expert enough at Bryce lighting to coach you very much there, except to say look for some tutorials by David Brinnen (there are plenty of free ones out there).

Security 16: Lighting looks very nice...skin looks pretty good too (not a Reality user so unfortunately I can't help there). The main issue I see is the shadow...it's very dark, rather sharp, and falls close to the figure's body. If you can alter your lighting and set so that the shadow is softer or falls further from her body I think that might improve the overall appearance. In terms of the shadow, something like this.

wflaks: Really nice work...I love the dynamism and energy. If the body of water is supposed to be the ocean (or even a lake), you might try making the water a little less transparent...think whitewater. The skin seems a little too burned to me...like oven-burned rather than sunburned. Maybe make it tanner or redder, and less mottled-looking. Otherwise I'd say this is fantastic.

I know I missed some people who had posted renders earlier in the thread...if you still have questions that weren't addressed by others, please let me know (or post an update and I'll comment on that).

thank you , just wondering how do i make it like whitewater?

edited December 1969

Been jumping back and forth between multiple projects, but I've finally got an update for this.
    Added a couple items for the soldiers, Adjusted the reaper's arm so you can see what he's carrying a bit better, and I was having problems with the debris in front of the explosion on the right side not rendering, so I layered the texture with the explosion.

For_Whom_the_Bell_Tolls.png
    900 x 900 - 1M