November Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

@3ch0_419 Looking good! I like the reflection in the glass. Maybe change the angle slightly to get more of the soldier's face reflected.
    You've got clear a fore, middle, and background, so try adding some depth of field to establish a more distinct focal point to the image.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I was debating between using a distant light and/or spot lights. I was getting too tired last night to try them but now have 2 excellent options to give a go. Thanks Novica & Dollygirl.

Lovely images by George Stubbs. Thank you for pointing him out Atticus Bones.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Still some small edits and I'm not too sure about the tree. I think there just might be too much going on, on that side of the image with the tree there...

For_Whom_the_Bell_Tolls.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

I like it how it is done :) Everything seems in place.

edited December 1969

Couple things I'm trying to figure out and it all depends on what you noticed.
    First, did you notice the 'reaper holding the bell (the sergeant is pretty much pointing right at him)
    2nd, did you notice the bullets hitting the ground behind the soldiers kicking up the dirt?

If neither of these were noticed, then I'll need to lighten them up and make them more noticeable. If they were noticed, then I don't want to mess with them as I don't want to ruin it.

edited November 2014

No I didn't i have to admit, i was thinking that light might need to be a bit brighter. Also i was thinking to do another picture :) i have a song in mind but i am still thinking how to do it. Anyway i like the picture and i am curious to see how it will develop.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) Now I know what additional edits I definitely need to make

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Good progress gulan7 and kaotkbliss on your images. I have one suggestion about your grass. I would do more clumping instead of randomly placing you foliage in the foreground. Nature does not really scatter that way. Moving those bunches is time consuming but well worth the effort. I have attached an image of Death Valley during summer and as you can see there are significant areas where no grass or bush grows. I think this is the look you could go for.

kaotkbliss on your questions:
    1. Not as much as before. I pulled your image into PS and added the photo correct filter which actually adjusts ambient light levels. Once I did that I could see both your bullet paths and the reaper.
    2. I see the paths of the bullets but I do not see them hit the dirt. Not sure you have these but they are kind of fun to play with. http://www.sharecg.com/v/48515/browse/11/Poser/3D-Explosion-and-Muzzleflash-Kit and since sharecg is currently down if you got to theschell's site theschell.ca and look for the link ribbon on the top of his home page for Skunkworks and go about half way down the page you will find the package there. Look for Explosion and Muzzle Flash Kit.
    3. About your tree, I think it's placement is just fine. I also think that if you move some of the grass around the base of the tree and then make a trail of grass going down the grade towards the soldiers would look good too. One of the things I use to help me figure out where I should put plants is that plants grow where water is. If there is a tree there is usually some bushes and/or grass at the base because that area is a good collector of rain water. That is also the reason for the clumping you see in nature. Low levels in the terrain have more vegetation then high points.

Looking forward to seeing what you do. I want you both to know that I appreciate that you have tried some of my ideas but please do not feel that you must do anything more to your images. If you are happy then I am happy.

1280px-Death_Valley,19820816,Desert,incoming_near_Shoshones.jpg
    1280 x 866 - 254K
    edited December 1969

I was debating between using a distant light and/or spot lights. I was getting too tired last night to try them but now have 2 excellent options to give a go. Thanks Novica & Dollygirl.

Lovely images by George Stubbs. Thank you for pointing him out Atticus Bones.

Your welcome Kismet. I too love George Stubbs animal paintings and the DAZ Horse 2 is such an awesome model. Sure wish there were more poses for it.

edited December 1969

Thank You on your advices, they are really useful :). I will try working more to improve my picture. I will try doing another picture soon, but it seems i will need to learn Hexagon in order to learn how to make morphs to the base of my terrain on picture. I wish i could make it bumpy now. I have been using dirt road prop posted recently here on the forum and ShareCG, I can't search for it now because it is down, and paved road expansion for it with morphs. It has few morph that enables it to morh into different shapes. That is what i need to learn to make. Simple land props that can be morphed for my terrains :) And i think i should be more serious about my works.

edited December 1969

And thanks for the link that one is great :) just what i needed.

edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    Gave my soldier a business suit to show what he does outside of the guard, and applied the pwEffect shader to his uniform. What I'm trying for is to let the viewer see who he is, but not have it shown to the other characters around him.

In short, I;m trying to capture both sides of his life.

An interesting approach to your image. I too like the reflection in the window. It would be cool if in the window you see the solider but on the street you see him in civies. Like where you are going with your image.

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Thank You on your advices, they are really useful :). I will try working more to improve my picture. I will try doing another picture soon, but it seems i will need to learn Hexagon in order to learn how to make morphs to the base of my terrain on picture. I wish i could make it bumpy now. I have been using dirt road prop posted recently here on the forum and ShareCG, I can't search for it now because it is down, and paved road expansion for it with morphs. It has few morph that enables it to morh into different shapes. That is what i need to learn to make. Simple land props that can be morphed for my terrains :) And i think i should be more serious about my works.

gulan7 Your welcome. Watch this video I think you will be pleased with it. She is using Studio 3 but the process is the same for Studio 4.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEBV2GHJHA
    edited December 1969

Amazing. Thanks for that link, it is just what i needed. I really didn't expected that it could be made so easy. I missed contest when morphs were explained, i think i should go back and see what i can learn there too. I will try to work in DS tomorrow while watching the video :) i am just happy that i discovered how it is done. Ok, then i will try working on my picture more.

And this is that song i was thinking about, i guess it could be creatively inspiring. That is In the end by Linking Park. Here is original video, and one i like that is tribute to Battletech.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw1Tgj9-VU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGP29mDj0U

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited November 2014

Wow this is a hard one. This is my first idea for this as I am also trying to come up with something else.

Anyway, I am still working on this.
    Title will be the same as the song:To the Last Whale. By, Crosby and Nash

wind_on_the_water.jpg
    800 x 800 - 105K
    Post edited by Xangth on
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Wow this is a hard one. This is my first idea for this as I am also trying to come up with something else.

A very interesting project Xangth. There is something majestic about sea images. Looking forward to seeing you develop your image. If you have any issues don't hesitate to ask. Where did you get your whale model from?

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Sure the whale model was a free download from http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-19763.html. Being broke and unemployed I have to find free stuff or build it myself. (ship and row boat, oars I made).

edited December 1969

Latest version. I ended up adding both a Distant Light and 2 Spot Lights. I also added some grass.

BBHCT_19.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 346K
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Sure the whale model was a free download from http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-19763.html. Being broke and unemployed I have to find free stuff or build it myself. (ship and row boat, oars I made).

Thank you for the link Xangth and for pointing me to a freebie site I have never been to. I have another question. How did you get your water plane to have waves? That is cool.
    edited December 1969

Latest version. I ended up adding both a Distant Light and 2 Spot Lights. I also added some grass.

I like what you did with the grass Kismet and I like the dappling of the light on the horse's back and side. Nice touch to put the grass around the tree :-) I am wondering though do you want to do more?

edited December 1969

@Kismet i link the picture and the song, and i like fields behind.

@Xangth Thanks for the link, that is just amazing. I never saw it too before and it has some really nice things i always wanted to have. It seems i will have to download a lot :D

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

I like what you did with the grass Kismet and I like the dappling of the light on the horse's back and side. Nice touch to put the grass around the tree :-) I am wondering though do you want to do more?

What do you suggest? I am totally open to suggestions.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,545
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

What do you suggest? I am totally open to suggestions.

I don't know if my suggestions are what you are looking for but I would try to light the horse and the tree even more. You can try with teo linear pointlights both above and on each side (left right), with raytraced shadows and about 35% intensity and then set the begin falloff rather close, just like 4 feet away and the end another 6 feet out. The you could add some bushes in the background and put them out of focus using DOF and have the horse and tree in focus.

edited December 1969

Still some small edits and I'm not too sure about the tree. I think there just might be too much going on, on that side of the image with the tree there...

I think you should let the explosions "spread light". You could to that using the "Uber Area Light" shader, it's applied like a shader but lights. Set the ambient and light to the diffuse and turn up the ambient, an explosion really lights up the surroundings..

Otherwise, like the concept.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:

I like the idea and the render, but you could try to move the camera even closer to the whale, making it stand out even more (as long as texture quality can handle it).

edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    Gave my soldier a business suit to show what he does outside of the guard, and applied the pwEffect shader to his uniform. What I'm trying for is to let the viewer see who he is, but not have it shown to the other characters around him.

In short, I;m trying to capture both sides of his life.

I think you could benefit from using a few linear point lights with shadows and like 5% shadow softness put them above and left/right (like lights from light poles.

edited November 2014

gulan7 said:
    There is some problem with uber volume and transmaps it seems. I have tested with smoke also and took screencaps of my setting for spotlight and volume. I will have to work more with uber volume to get better with it. For now here is without it, and i think i will have to do without cloud effect until i figure how to solve the problem.

Yes, volumetric cameras and transmaps is a bad combination, stumbled upon that a while ago.
    Try come closer to the demon and go down in camera length to like 30 or so, might be a nice effect.

Post edited by Totte on
  • KittiKitti Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Title: #FaerieSelfie
    Software: DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro
    Song: #SELFIE (Official Music Video) - The Chainsmokers
    Idea: When some drunk chick stumbles into a filthy bathroom and decides that's a good time & place for a picture.

What, that's never happened to you?

#duckface #selfie #yeathatshot

I love my character and I'm sorry for putting her through this - but I couldn't help myself!

So here are the issues I'm having:

1. Right Hand Pose - how do I make her grasp the wand handle?
    2. Guy character's eyes are kind of washed out, hair is also a little underexposed; it's supposed to be dark brown. If it has to do with lights how can I fix this without altering the "grungy-club-bathroom" ambiance?
    3. Left Hand pose - I want it to naturally form with the cheek, but since the dress isn't skin tight I can't get the hand close without it colliding with the skirt, how can I push the fabric closer to her body to give it a more natural interaction?
    4. I want the floating star in the wand to act like a camera flash, is there a way to give it aberration, lens flare or rays within DAZ? (current flare was added in Photoshop)
    5. Sink counter black hole. So far this whole scene is lit with just 1 distant light and a bunch of various spot lights - is there a way to slightly brighten up this black hole without creating a distracting light source? This one isn't a big deal, I can live with it if the fix is going to take a lot of tinkering or bog down the rendering time.

Of course first impressions, general feedback, and criticism is openly welcomed! I'm brand new to CG so definitely let me know of anything that isn't right or needs attention.

Thanks so much!

Selfie_testlight800-2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 465K
  • Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited November 2014

Thought I'd share a link to a PDF that some of you may find useful: http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/gallery/files/innovations/2007/Gilbert_Jennifer_392/Innovations_JenniferGilbert.pdf
    It's an essay by a student at Bournemouth University concerning "The Influence of Music on Painting and Animation".

Post edited by Atticus Bones on
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the suggestions Totte. I added 2 Linear Point Lights with the settings you suggested and added some bushes. I was considering doing that myself but was good to get the suggestion from someone else as well.

BBHTC_23.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 365K