Announcing: Daz Deals Browser Add-on II

Comments

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779

Robert Freise said:

Not sure about that as I use Chrome in Linux and don't have any problems 

I only get online with my Linux (Mint) machine 

What Chrome version?  I ask because my Gentoo machine repro'ed the problem until I "fixed" it by re-installing the extension, however I use Gentoo so I'm using bleeding edge.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,390

jbowler said:

Robert Freise said:

What Chrome version?  I ask because my Gentoo machine repro'ed the problem until I "fixed" it by re-installing the extension, however I use Gentoo so I'm using bleeding edge.

89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Robert Freise said:

jbowler said:

Robert Freise said:

89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

That might be the problem; I've been on 89.0.4389.128 for some time.  Windows just updated to 90.0.4430.72 (today, the update is dated April 14).  There were a lot of updates in rapid succession; Mountain View was definately doing the headless chicken.  Not that this helps at all...

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

Robert Freise said:

marble said:

Robert Freise said:

Just FYI in case you didn't know the new MS Edge is based on Chrome

Yep - the issue seems to be with all Chrome-based browsers. 

Well exactly. For some strange reason, it doesn't show up for everyone but when it does, it seems to be confined to Chrome based browsers. The author of DAZ Deals has not been able to replicate it (as far as I am aware) which makes it almost impossible to fix. SOme people have had success with merely uninstalling and reinstalling the extension. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and the problem remains solid.

I could use Firefox but I'm not goint to start swapping in and out of different browsers just for the DAZ shop - I don't buy enough for that so I'll wait until there is a fix. I can't really understand why DAZ has not seen fit to include those features in their official store seeing as just about everyone seems to be using the add-on. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,390

New version's out 90.0.4430.72 (Official Build) (64-bit)

marble said:

SOme people have had success with merely uninstalling and reinstalling the extension. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and the problem remains solid.

What version of Chrome do you have?  I have copies of some of the older versions which I can probably re-install.

jbowler said:

marble said:

SOme people have had success with merely uninstalling and reinstalling the extension. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and the problem remains solid.

What version of Chrome do you have?  I have copies of some of the older versions which I can probably re-install.

As I mentioned above, I am usin MS Edge but I have tried with Chrome too. Both are showing the same problem. Edge is updated automatically.  

Well something happened overnight because DAZ Deals is now working for me in Edge. I don't think I have done anything at my end since I last reported it not working a few posts back. 

marble said:

Well something happened overnight because DAZ Deals is now working for me in Edge. I don't think I have done anything at my end since I last reported it not working a few posts back. 

I wasn't able to get Edge to work; it refused to download extensions (well, the Dashlane extension, I have to have that to do anything...)  My theory, so lacking in foundation that it is probably a religion, is that there is a particular version of Chrome, and therefore Edge as it is a Google rebrand, that terminally mutilates something on the local machine.  The refutation is that some people have done the re-install/install trick and not recovered a working DAZ Deals; hypothesis, the version of Chrome/Edge they did that on was the evil version from heck?  Hence my original question.

Microsoft EdgeVersion 89.0.774.76 (Official build) (64-bit)

But going to the "About" settings triggers an update of Edge so that I am now seeing:

Microsoft EdgeVersion 90.0.818.39 (Official build) (64-bit)

I don't have Edge on my Linux (Gentoo) machine but I do have Chrome and I keep all the (Debian) packages.  This gives me the date I installed the update.  I know from my own experience that I saw the problem on March 22 then reproed it on my Linux machine on, I think, March 23 or 24.  At this point I had build 89.0.4389.90 of Chrome (I downloaded it on March 11).  That version did show the problem however reinstalling DAZ Deals also fixed it for me.

marble said:

Microsoft EdgeVersion 89.0.774.76 (Official build) (64-bit)

Microsoft documents the release date as April 12.  On April 14 89.0.774.77 was released.  The April 12 release is apparently benign: "Fixed various bugs and performance issues."  The April 14 release, which you don't seem to have downloaed, contains two CVE fixes which seem to correspond to the rush of fixes Google announced around March 22.  Microsoft documents the equivalent Chrome version as 89.0.4389.128 but I could only find this in the notes for the CVE.  Microsoft says the April 1 security update, 89.0.774.68, was based on 89.0.4389.114 and that 89.0.774.54 released on March 13 was based on 89.0.4389.90, which is the update I got on Windows much more recently (after March 22) (IRC) and which I had on Linux on March 11.

But going to the "About" settings triggers an update of Edge so that I am now seeing:

Microsoft EdgeVersion 90.0.818.39 (Official build) (64-bit)

Yes, that's the April 15 update which I got on Linux (Chrome) on April 12 and Windows Chrome April 14.  It's based on Chrome version 90.0.4430.72.  If I understand it correctly Chrome, and I assume Edge, auto-downloads updates but doesn't install them until Chrome is shut down.  Since I often don't shut Chrome down for days I can be way behind on updates.  The "Update" button at the top right of Chrome (I don't know if Edge has it) just forces a relaunch but going to "About" forces an instant check for updates.  It may be that Google stage updates in the same was as Microsoft does, so that going to the "About" page triggers an update some time before it will happen automagically.

My hypothesis is still that there was a rogue version out there which I downloaded sometime before March 22, so then when I shut down all my machines because I was taking a trip to Portland they all updated Chrome on return.  That's not true of my Linux box which seems to have got the problem on or before March 11, however I hadn't been using DAZ Deals on that system so I wouldn't have seen a problem.

I still don't understand why 89.0.4389.90, which should be equivalent to Edge versions after 89.0.774.54 works fine for me after a reinstall of DAZ Deals but, I think, does not work for other people (I think there are messages from other people in this thread who saw the problem re-appear and had later versions).  None of this seems to have a simple explanation unless there was some version of Chrome/Edge out there which managed to permanently damage something related to DAZ Deals.  If not then the only other guess I have is that background processing of some page loading is revealing a really weird timing issue in the DAZ Deals JavaScript.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

JamieM said:

My problem was of my own making.

Four items hadn't automatically vanished from my wish list when I purchased them - but I couldn't see them because the view defaulted to "Hide items I own".

Many thanks to Ati for giving up her time to help solve this.

Thanks for this, it fixed my issue, as well.  :)

• After catching up on the posts above, I updated Chrome to the ltest version, still no joy.

Latest version of Edge, though, extension worked.

• OverdrawnOverdrawn Posts: 580

Umi no Senshi no Ishi said:

After catching up on the posts above, I updated Chrome to the ltest version, still no joy.

Latest version of Edge, though, extension worked.

First, thanks to everyone still trying to help us understand what's gone wrong with Chrome/Edge. The situation remains ellusive--very sadly. :-/

Umi no Senshi no Ishi have you tried the uninstall/reinstall thing? I'm curious specifically if things partially work (i.e. the simplest features like % off display in the cart) or if the whole thing is just "gone" (i.e. there's not even a "Daz Deals" link under the person/account menu on daz3d.com).

I'll continue to monitor the helpful feedback from everyone, and to keep trying to get this to break for me as well... :-/

Thanks for your patience and the feedback!

@Overdrawn; the problem restarted for me with my Linux Chrome installation. On that PC the DAZ Productions account menu does still have "DAZ Deals" in the drop down, but nothing else.

My main PC is still fine but I still see periodic cases (at random) on that PC of the "shop" page not showing the additional checkboxes and no update the the sort-by menu.  The console log shows this:

storage_callbacks Array(8)
    wishlistify.js:86 product filters updated
    wishlistify.js:71 full price updated

I just went to the "wishlist" page (using left-click, right-click/open-in-new-tab) and DAZ Deals is partially there:

storage_callbacks Array(11)
    wishlist:1 Error handling response: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of null
        at multipleWishlists (chrome-extension://nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc/multiple-wishlists.js:79:28)
        at chrome-extension://nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc/access-storage.js:8:7
        at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
        at chrome-extension://nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc/access-storage.js:7:23
    VM50:1 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'productList' of undefined
        at setdata (<anonymous>:1:73)

Refresh on the main page restores checkboxes and % off sort-by, console shows:

storage_callbacks (8) [ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ]

Refrehs on wish-list page seems to restore functionality by I still see an error on the console log:

storage_callbacks (11) [ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ, ƒ]
    wishlist:1 Error handling response: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of null
        at multipleWishlists (chrome-extension://nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc/multiple-wishlists.js:79:28)
        at chrome-extension://nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc/access-storage.js:8:7
        at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
        at chrome-extension://nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc/access-storage.js:7:23

The Chrome version here is the latest, it's 90.0.4430.85.  The Linux PC was at 90.0.4430.72 when it first started showing the problem again (IRC this was April 20).  I downloaded the update to 90.0.4430.85 on April 19 but saw the problem before installing the update and it is still there after the update.  The only weird thing I did on the Linux machine was to add something to the DAZ cart while not logged in, then I noticed that DAZ Deals didn't seem to be there and logged in to DAZ Productions.  On this Linux machine I have just noticed that "DAZ Deals" is present in the Account/Log out menu dropdown so that piece of javascript must have run run ok.  Possibly Chrome multi-threading is an issue; I saw some comment about there being issues with chrome running extension javascript in parallel.

There is one possible link to all four failures that I have encountered.  In each case I went back to a machine which had a working installation of DAZ Deals and started using it to access the store, including adding items to the cart and/or using the wistlist, after I had been using a different system for actively using the store.  In the March case I was out of town so using my laptop to scan the wishlist and check out DAZ Deals emails.  It worked fine initially then, after I had rebooted the machine DAZ Deals stopped working; I was powering the machine down during the day when I left it in the hotel room.  I didn't re-install on that machine (and DAZ Deals is still broken).  I returned home, restarted my main system (it had been shut down) and DAZ Deals failed to work.  I re-installed on that (this) system and it worked and has done ever since with the caveat of the odd failures which are fixed by a refresh.  I tested my Linux installation and that failed immediately but I fixed it with a re-install and it kept working, then I accessed it again because my main system was temporarily shut down and it (the Linux installaton) failed again after my add to the cart of one item while not logged in.  (In that case I clicked through from a DAZ Deals "lowest price" email and added the item to the cart without actually logging in to DAZ3d.com).

I'm going to try a complete wipeout of my Chrome cache; since it is Linux I know where it is located and I can do it by hand rather than relying on unknown and unpredictable Google functionality.  I can also do it in steps, keeping the extension state until last, to try to isolate where the problem is.

@Overdrawn; this is an entirely separate bug...  The "Hide Items" option in DAZ Deals is hiding today's new releases, up to but not including "Iray Caustic Water Lights", if any of the "I'm only interested in..." checkboxes are unchecked.  E.g. I unchecked "Bryce" and all the new items are gone, add Bryce back in (so everything is checked), refresh the daz3d.com tab and they come back...

• AtiAti Posts: 9,124
    edited April 2021

jbowler said:

@Overdrawn; this is an entirely separate bug...  The "Hide Items" option in DAZ Deals is hiding today's new releases, up to but not including "Iray Caustic Water Lights", if any of the "I'm only interested in..." checkboxes are unchecked.  E.g. I unchecked "Bryce" and all the new items are gone, add Bryce back in (so everything is checked), refresh the daz3d.com tab and they come back...

That's a known issue, unfortunately. Even though everyone is using the same list of compatibilities, some people's browser hides some items, while other people's browser hides other items, and for most people it works as it should. I'll get to it at some point—for now, if you encounter it, it's best to either disable the hide feature altogether, or have all checkboxes checked.

Post edited by Ati on
  • Yeah, my Vivaldi is broke, too. I can alter things in the DazDeals options, but when I go to a page, nothing has changed. No prices, no timeline, no sorting, nada. 

Hang in there folks! You all do a great job on a complicated matter.

• jim_doriajim_doria Posts: 125
    edited April 2021

Trying to get Daz Deals working again. It broke at some point and I knew the site was still too unstable so put off dealing with it. But today I uninstalled and re-installed. This fixed a lot of the stuff I was missing (no price history, no sort by % off) but now I can't see any of the "flags" on store items, like New or Sale or the ones that show the % off. (I can finally sort by it but now I can't see it) All my hidden items also disappeared.

Any idea why it might be hiding the flags / notes / badges / whatever on items? Is this a setting I didn't reset properly after reinstalling?

Also, you folks might want to fix the links that appear both in the Chrome store and at the bottom of the settings page. They both still point to the old forum thread.

Post edited by jim_doria on

jim_doria said:

Trying to get Daz Deals working again. It broke at some point and I knew the site was still too unstable so put off dealing with it. But today I uninstalled and re-installed. This fixed a lot of the stuff I was missing (no price history, no sort by % off) but now I can't see any of the "flags" on store items, like New or Sale or the ones that show the % off. (I can finally sort by it but now I can't see it) All my hidden items also disappeared.

Any idea why it might be hiding the flags / notes / badges / whatever on items? Is this a setting I didn't reset properly after reinstalling?

Also, you folks might want to fix the links that appear both in the Chrome store and at the bottom of the settings page. They both still point to the old forum thread.

The sale and % off seem to be broken in the store now, that's not an addon feature, that's what the native store does. It should come back when Daz fixes the display. New items still show the new label for me.

• jim_doriajim_doria Posts: 125

Ati said:

The sale and % off seem to be broken in the store now, that's not an addon feature, that's what the native store does. It should come back when Daz fixes the display. New items still show the new label for me.

Thanks! I'm seeing things come and go too. Guess I picked the wrong day to try and fix Daz Deals. 

I'm now having the same problem some others reported anyway. I closed and re-opened Chrome and all the DD stuff is gone.

• Any word on what the Vivaldi issue is? Is it something that Vivaldi did? Would a roll back to a previous version fix it for us?

• edited May 2021

Waterfox has stopped working now, too. Is there any browser that works with Daz Deals, now?

Never mind - it started working again. Vivaldi is still broke.

Post edited by Tiffanie Gray - IDLM on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    I'm on Opera, and after a recent update DAZ-Deals stopped working, but disabling and re-enabling the extension fixed it. Black magic at work...
  • Ugh! I hate doing that...Don't you lose all your saved settings? And hidden items? And notices? I have 1000's of notices, and hundreds of hidden items.

tiffanie_gray_aceaa3bc71 said:

Ugh! I hate doing that...Don't you lose all your saved settings? And hidden items? And notices? I have 1000's of notices, and hundreds of hidden items.

What do you mean by notices? 

• edited May 2021

Won't I lose all the things that I have set price notices for, if I disable Daz Deals? ie the "notify me when the price is X"

Ati said:

Ugh! I hate doing that...Don't you lose all your saved settings? And hidden items? And notices? I have 1000's of notices, and hundreds of hidden items.

What do you mean by notices? 

Post edited by Tiffanie Gray - IDLM on

Won't I lose all the things that I have set price notices for, if I disable Daz Deals? ie the "notify me when the price is X"

Those are saved on our servers. You don't lose those. 

• Oh! Okay! Well, then I'll give it a shot!

• Do I remove it? Or just disable/enable?