Announcing: Daz Deals Browser Add-on II

Comments

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779
    edited April 2021

@ati, @overdrawn: the error messages happen on https://daz3d.com, there aren't any changes to that page (so far as I know) but the errors are still there.  I get the first error on my "Wish List" page after logging in too.  Here's what happens with https://daz3d.com on the system where I re-installed DAZDeals and where everything is working, Windows 10 Chrome Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit):

imageimage

Here's a Linux (Gentoo) system (portrait display) with the problem and with AdBlock Plus still enabled, same version of Chrome (built using the Gentoo package):

imageimage

The "Failed to load resource" report at the top is from "https://kit.fontawesome.com/a076d05399.js", maybe something caused by AdBlock Plus.  Here's a Windows 10 system which had a previous version of Chrome (before the recent round of CVE updates).  I'm not logged in to daz3d.com here and the Chrome update is pending, AdBlock plus is not active:

imageimage

Same system after the Chrome update:

imageimage

And finally after logging in:

imageimage

Each display results from going to https://daz3d.com in a new tab after making the changes (logging in goes to the Wish List page.)

The difference between workinig and non-working is in access-storage.js, where on the non-working Linux system (I didn't examine the others) "storage_callbacks" is an uncaught reference.  "globals.js" clearly defines it as an empty array (I'm assuming JavaScript syntax, which I don't know, ressembles Python).  So it appears "globals.js" is not "load[ing] on every Daz page.

20210406 System without problem.PNG
    1581 x 695 - 108K
    20210406 Linux system with problem AdBlockPlus active.png
    1444 x 1270 - 322K
    20210406 System with problem, before Chrome update.PNG
    1703 x 1647 - 576K
    20210406 System with problem, AFTER Chrome update, not logged in.PNG
    1697 x 1365 - 493K
    20210406 System with problem, AFTER Chrome update, AFTER logging in.PNG
    1584 x 1345 - 219K
    Post edited by jbowler on

FWIW I couldn't work out how to set a breakpoint however when I enabled "pause on caught exceptions" it seems that price_history.js is the very first file loaded for DAZDeals.  The order goes:

price-history.js
    wishlistify.js
    product-links.js
    product-page.js
    hide-products.js
    gallery-notification.js
    artist-tiles.js
    hide-sections.js
    add-wishlist-buttons.js
    access-storage.js

Then there are a run of exceptions in lib/jquery-3.1.1.js and the lib/*.js files are loaded, and after this globals.js is loaded and there are no more exceptions.  I don't know what controls the order files are loaded in JavaScript, but that looks like the problem.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Fingers crossed that jbowler has discovered the problem and between they and overdrawn and ati, it’ll be fixable laugh I truly won’t shop here without this add on. 

• OverdrawnOverdrawn Posts: 580
    jakiblue said:

Fingers crossed that jbowler has discovered the problem and between they and overdrawn and ati, it’ll be fixable laugh I truly won’t shop here without this add on. 

Same! ^_^ Thanks, @jbowler I'm digging through all of what you've shared. Chrome (or something else) must be effecting the load order--which is defined in the manifest.json file. I'm hoping I can now at least simulate the break, so I can fix it at long last. Really appreciate all the testing!!

Overdrawn said:

Chrome (or something else) must be effecting the load order--which is defined in the manifest.json file. I'm hoping I can now at least simulate the break, so I can fix it at long last. Really appreciate all the testing!!

I compared the DAZ Deals extensions folder (i.e. where all the .js files and manifest.json are) on my broken W10 laptop against my primary (re-installed and working) W10 machine.  Identical except, curiously that the "broken" manifest.json file has an extra line, apparently with a fingerprint in it, and there is a file manifest.fingerprint in the broken setup.  I deleted the extra line and file but the broken system remained broken.  Here are the diffs (working->broken, output in recursive diff "unified" style):

jbowler@hippopopus ~/DAZDeals $ diff -ru {working,not}/2.5.3_0
    Only in not/2.5.3_0: manifest.fingerprint
    diff -ru working/2.5.3_0/manifest.json not/2.5.3_0/manifest.json
    --- working/2.5.3_0/manifest.json       2021-03-29 08:51:24.000000000 -0700
    +++ not/2.5.3_0/manifest.json   2021-03-01 20:47:30.000000000 -0800
    @@ -38,6 +38,7 @@
           "matches": [ "*://*.daz3d.com/*" ]
        } ],
        "description": "Daz3D.com Deals Shopping Helper",
    +   "differential_fingerprint": "1.769692e9a5ccfe261a385ff479d3d7c1772712e1960e4d9989b043f20623ef4f",
        "icons": {
           "128": "images/icon128.png",
           "16": "images/icon16.png",

The "differential_fingerprint" value is identical to the contents of manifest.fingerprint.  Really weird, I don't often see decimal numbers encoded in hexadecimal.

So far as I can see Chrome is caching something related to the manifest.json when the extension is installed and, somehow, this cache stopped working correctly - there has to be information somewhere else in Chrome that causes it to load the .js files in the wrong order.  The specific problem seems to be the order of evaluation of teh "content_scripts" array; the first entry doesn't seem to get evaluated until the end.  There may be some clue in that load order list I posted.  I wouldn't put it past Google to simply reverse the order in a Chrome update, but it only affects some people and I'm pretty sure there was no updated when it hit me.  Maybe that was the first time I had restarted Chrome after something got broken.

If that extremely hypothetical hypothesis is correct you will never be able to repro it because, inevitably, you reload (re-init) the extension very, very frequently.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Arch details products keep being included in the "top 21 most discounted items" emails for me, even though they are PC+ items.
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,124

certaintree38 said:

Arch details products keep being included in the "top 21 most discounted items" emails for me, even though they are PC+ items.

They probably became PC+ items after their release and were not initially. Can you give me links? I'll change them over in our database.

certaintree38 said:

https://www.daz3d.com/archdetails-vol1

https://www.daz3d.com/archdetails-vol2

https://www.daz3d.com/archdetails-vol3

Thank you. I've set them all as PC+. You should not see them from the next email. 

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Awesome. Thanks!

Sevrin said:

While we're talking about this, I get the following in every 21 Most Discounted email.  They're all PC+.

Tranquility Poses for Genesis 8 | Daz 3D 

Forsaken Village and Construction Set | Daz 3D

Forsaken Keep and Construction Set | Daz 3D

dForce Street Blade Outfit Textures | Daz 3D

APC755 | Daz 3D

Thank you, I've marked these as PC+. If anyone knows of any more, please let me know.

There used to be an email about items that became PC+, but with that gone, I can only work with the items I receive in the morning. And some of those I already have, so they don't show up in my notifications.

Before anyone asks: there's nothing wrong with the new promo notifications. Those are indeed new promo images every time.

barbult said:

Yesterday's email link to the Unity sale is broken, though.

https://www.daz3d.comhttps//assetstore.unity.com/publishers/51491?cjref=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&cjevent=fbe2c6839c9211eb82b600e00a82b838

Yeah... I'm not even sure I want to fix that, to be honest... For security reasons, we link directly to the Daz website. This, being an external link, does not work. If I start adding exceptions, it'll just add risks.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,878

Ati said:

barbult said:

https://www.daz3d.comhttps//assetstore.unity.com/publishers/51491?cjref=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&cjevent=fbe2c6839c9211eb82b600e00a82b838

Yeah... I'm not even sure I want to fix that, to be honest... For security reasons, we link directly to the Daz website. This, being an external link, does not work. If I start adding exceptions, it'll just add risks.

I fully support your decision to link only to the Daz website! I was annoyed that Daz was using their banners to link to other stores anyway. I just wasn't sure you were aware of the link issue. You are aware, and you have handled the issue in a safe conservative way. Thank you for taking our browsing safety into consideration.

Ati said:

barbult said:

That makes a lot of sense to me.  I did click on the link (from the DAZDeals email) and then I was able to see where it was going and, because I wanted to look, it was just a matter of deleting the prefixed DAZ web site from the URI.  Easy to understand, makes sense, difficult to imagine how it could be fixed to make it any better!

Any progress on fixing the plugin for Chrome? I haven't spent a penny in the Daz store in April and less than $40 in March. Without Daz Deals, I have little interest in wading through the store or sales. sad I know I could use Firefox, and I do occasionally try that, but Chrome is where I am comfortable and familiar.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 285

No price history or anything else anymore in current Vivaldi since recently. Known broken?

• SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 474
    edited April 2021

dexter.filmore_a6337aa2ba said:

No price history or anything else anymore in current Vivaldi since recently. Known broken?

Was just coming here to ask about Vivaldi. It doesn't show everything in the store. Most noteable are missing PC+ freebies. I would hate to give up the extension because I love it but I don't like knowing I'm missing out on stuff. 

Edit to add: I have noticed that when I load the store, things will show up for an instant and then disappear. With the extension active the PC+ freebies do not show up at all unless someone links me directly to their page.

Post edited by Skyewolf on

Skyewolf said:

Was just coming here to ask about Vivaldi. It doesn't show everything in the store. Most noteable are missing PC+ freebies. I would hate to give up the extension because I love it but I don't like knowing I'm missing out on stuff. 

Edit to add: I have noticed that when I load the store, things will show up for an instant and then disappear. With the extension active the PC+ freebies do not show up at all unless someone links me directly to their page.

Disable the "Hide items" feature, or select all the software types under that setting. 

• SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 474

Ati said:

Skyewolf said:

Disable the "Hide items" feature, or select all the software types under that setting. 

Oooh thank you! That fixed it....I wonder how that happened.... :D 

Chrome status?

barbult said:

Any progress on fixing the plugin for Chrome? I haven't spent a penny in the Daz store in April and less than $40 in March. Without Daz Deals, I have little interest in wading through the store or sales. sad I know I could use Firefox, and I do occasionally try that, but Chrome is where I am comfortable and familiar.

@barbult if you are prepared to use FireFox just remove and re-install DAZ Deals.  The problem lies in something outside the DAZ Deals code; either the local settings (such as hidden items) or Chrome's own caching of the JavaScript code (if, indeed, that exists; I really didn't know anything about JavaScript until this started happening except I disable it by default...)

Removing and re-installing DAZ Deals deletes your local (machine/browser specific) settings, but they don't show in a different browser on the same machine anyway (so far as I know).  It would be a nice additional feature if those settings, particularly hidden items and the notification email/passcode, could be saved in a text file and reloaded from it; that would make it easier to set up DAZ Deals on a new, or second, machine.  So far as I know this isn't possible so you lose those settings but that is all.

barbult said:

Chrome status?

I'll ping @Overdrawn on this.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Quick data point.  Just updated W10Pro to build 19042, and the Daz Deals add-on seems to work better now in MS Edge.  It worked before, but it often took a few tries to switch between, for example, only owned and wishlist.  It's much snappier now, and hopefully not just for now.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

Sevrin said:

Quick data point.  Just updated W10Pro to build 19042, and the Daz Deals add-on seems to work better now in MS Edge.  It worked before, but it often took a few tries to switch between, for example, only owned and wishlist.  It's much snappier now, and hopefully not just for now.

Nah, didn't work for me. Windows has just updated to that version and I uninstalled and reinstalled the DAZ Deals extension to MS Edge but as soon as I restarted the browser, the extension stopped working again.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,390

Just FYI in case you didn't know the new MS Edge is based on Chrome

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

Robert Freise said:

Yep - the issue seems to be with all Chrome-based browsers. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,390

marble said:

Robert Freise said:

Yep - the issue seems to be with all Chrome-based browsers. 

Not sure about that as I use Chrome in Linux and don't have any problems 

I only get online with my Linux (Mint) machine