UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    Fishtales said:

Panda Family

2020-09-17 06:46:09.358 Total Rendering Time: 5 minutes 49.1 seconds

I followed @barbult process and used bamboo plants to populate the scene.

Click on image for full size.

That's new! We haven't seen anyone try bamboo yet. Congrats on making your own unique ecology.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    barbult said:
    Fishtales said:

Panda Family

2020-09-17 06:46:09.358 Total Rendering Time: 5 minutes 49.1 seconds

I followed @barbult process and used bamboo plants to populate the scene.

Click on image for full size.

That's new! We haven't seen anyone try bamboo yet. Congrats on making your own unique ecology.

Thank you.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,792
    edited October 2020

haven't had a computer for nearly 3 months ... had to do an ultrascenery render. Well overdue. A bit of postwork. Nothing spectacular or different but a scene. I like this product a whole lot. 

FEATURES: Bridge 1 --- obviously not in scene, but down the path a bit
    ECOLOGY: Pines 3

bridge 9.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by daveso on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035

@daveso, Wonderful scene! If you had a sprinkling of a snow,it could have been the Rockies yesterday. 

@daveso, Wonderful scene! If you had a sprinkling of a snow,it could have been the Rockies yesterday. 

brrrrrr ... it snowed in Upper Michigan a week or so ago as well. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528
    edited October 2020

Hmm. Just tried Mossy Hollow, and using Mossy Hollow 3, the vegetation is quite thick. Very thick. To the extent I feel the test render qualifies for the title 'Road Through Mirkwood'.

Regards,

Richard

Road Through Mirkwood.jpg
    1424 x 911 - 1M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,771

Hmm. Just tried Mossy Hollow, and using Mossy Hollow 3, the vegetation is quite thick. Very thick. To the extent I feel the test render qualifies for the title 'Road Through Mirkwood'.

Regards,

Richard

Very nice, but needs more spiders for Mirkwood LOL

• Yep, agreed. Will have to be cautious about using the Mossy Hollow 3 environment with all layers switched on. May need faery glows deeper in the woods to add lighting & other effects elsewhere. Looks like the other Mossy Hollow environments are a bit more sparce, so will allow more light through the canopy.

None-the-less, it is a test render, and I am pleased with it as a starting point.

• Hmm. Just tried Mossy Hollow, and using Mossy Hollow 3, the vegetation is quite thick. Very thick. To the extent I feel the test render qualifies for the title 'Road Through Mirkwood'.

Regards,

Richard

Lovely ... and quite realistic enough for a night scene. Foreground would be lit artifically and it would be very dark back in the forest {where the Yeti hide ;-) }

Regards,

Richard

That darkness is not typical. What lighing and render settings are you using? Have you tried the USC Late Morning that comes with UltraScenery?

• Barbult, I didn't use the USC lighting.

I simply used the default 'ruins' HDRI that is loaded when DS opens and set the f-stop to 16 as the headlight was overexposing the vegetation close to the camera. It was, as I said, a test render simply to see what the vegetation was like. I think the brightness near the camera was from the auto headlight. I was just amused by the result which is why I posted it. I am going to play further this weekend and see if I can come up with something I really like.

Regards,

Richard

• I'm trying to decide whether it's worth updating my video card (4gb GTX 970) to an RTX 2060 with 6gb.  Will it actually improve render times with Ultrascenery?  So far, it looks like most of what I've been rendering recently is hitting the CPU anyway. I'm on DS 4.12.1.118 with the latest driver.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth updating my video card (4gb GTX 970) to an RTX 2060 with 6gb.  Will it actually improve render times with Ultrascenery?  So far, it looks like most of what I've been rendering recently is hitting the CPU anyway. I'm on DS 4.12.1.118 with the latest driver.

I would save my pennies a little longer and go for a card with 8GB.  I currently render ultrascenes with a V7HD and I never have problems with the memory on my 8GB 1080. 

Cheers,

Alex.

edited October 2020

Barbult, I didn't use the USC lighting.

I simply used the default 'ruins' HDRI that is loaded when DS opens and set the f-stop to 16 as the headlight was overexposing the vegetation close to the camera. It was, as I said, a test render simply to see what the vegetation was like. I think the brightness near the camera was from the auto headlight. I was just amused by the result which is why I posted it. I am going to play further this weekend and see if I can come up with something I really like.

Regards,

Richard

I see. Using the headlamp and cutting the exposure in half is probably not a good idea with a spacious scene like UltraScenery, as you discovered. I really highly recommend the USC Late Morning preset that comes with UltraScenery for UltraScenery test renders. (and headlamp always off) It gives good overall light that will show off the scene pretty well so you can evaluate the vegtation layout.

Here is a simple test render of Mossy Hollow 3 with USC Late Morning light. It gives pretty realistic light and shadow areas.

USC Mossy Hollow 3 USC Late Morning.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528
    edited October 2020

Well, I did get somewhere using sun/sky lighting, changed the latitude to the tropics and time of day to mid afternoon. This is using Mossy Hollow 3, and a river rather than track. As it's the tropics, and nice and warm, someone has to be enjoying the water and sun. In this case it's HinkyPunk's Aniyah body with KrashWerk's Julia head & texture. Most impressed with the way the moisture creeps up the stones & soaks the timber from the stream.

Is there any way of seeing the smaller vegetation before doing an iRay render? I found when positioning the camera I got a lot of shots of understorey vegetation. And with this scene it takes 7-8 minutes of thinking about it on my PC before the first iteration appears - only to see a fantastically detailed image of a leaf covering where I should be able to see the figure. In texture mapped view the proxy display trees are visible, but you can't see the other vegetation. It would be nice if it were possible to be able to switch the shaded wireframe to display - hopefully it'd take less time then the first iRay iteration.

Now you're going to tell me (I hope) it's possible & I've missed it all along...

Regards,

Richard.

UltraScenery 03 R02.png
    1860 x 911 - 4M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • I'm trying to decide whether it's worth updating my video card (4gb GTX 970) to an RTX 2060 with 6gb.  Will it actually improve render times with Ultrascenery?  So far, it looks like most of what I've been rendering recently is hitting the CPU anyway. I'm on DS 4.12.1.118 with the latest driver.

I got the RTX 2060 super (it has 8gb) just over a year age have never used all the memory. Great card

• That's one I was thinking about.  My motherboard isn't a spring chicken, so I have to be careful with compatibility and that was one that came up on the list.  Thanks for the heads-up.

• I think the free update to version 1.3 is available now in DIM. Mostly bug fixes, some speed enhancements, and modified handling of progress bars when building.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

I think the free update to version 1.3 is available now in DIM. Mostly bug fixes, some speed enhancements, and modified handling of progress bars when building.

yes  It is.  Thanks!

• 41cessna41cessna Posts: 22
    edited October 2020

Wrapping up this collection of plants and ecologies right now.

Any update on this one?

Post edited by 41cessna on
  • 41cessna said:

Wrapping up this collection of plants and ecologies right now.

Any update on this one?

Soon ;)

(it's through QA and waiting for release which is up to Daz)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I think the free update to version 1.3 is available now in DIM. Mostly bug fixes, some speed enhancements, and modified handling of progress bars when building.

I just found an update in DIM and thought I'd drop in and see what it was. Thanks for answering the question before we asked!

Thank you for continuing to make UltraScenery even better.

1.3 ..will dl it now. Thanks

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Thank you for the update!!

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

T'was just kicking the tires tonight on 1.3 and guess had never tried the Uplands 1 or 2 Features option before & couldn't figure out why the Water Tab grayed out with either of those selected.

Hoping I hadn't tripped over a bug, I went ahead I made a scene anyway. Turns out those aren't streams but rock paths.  DOH!

LOOK AT THIS! https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/444602/released-oso-alien-scenery-commercial When I saw the product thumbnail, I thought it was just blue sci-fi plants that I didn't need. Then I stumbled across the forum thread and discovered that it is a script that can swap any instance group in an UltraScene with any other prop in your library!!!!!!! It is a little buggy right now, but Totte and Oso3D are providing excellent support and will get it fixed ASAP, I think. Totte has already posted a temporary patch.
  • I did see that. My initial reason for looking was 'Could it be made into an alternative ecology?' and then realised it could be a lot more.

At the moment, due to my usual budget constraints, I have yet to get all the current UltraScenery addons, just the ones I think I can make most use of. Once I have those, then maybe I'll go for the packages that may well work or provide extra functionality. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited October 2020

Thanks for the update - this dark progress bar looks pretty cool,

and I like very much "Completed in" information when building of UltraScenery is completed.

Post edited by Artini on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    barbult said:
    LOOK AT THIS! https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/444602/released-oso-alien-scenery-commercial When I saw the product thumbnail, I thought it was just blue sci-fi plants that I didn't need. Then I stumbled across the forum thread and discovered that it is a script that can swap any instance group in an UltraScene with any other prop in your library!!!!!!! It is a little buggy right now, but Totte and Oso3D are providing excellent support and will get it fixed ASAP, I think. Totte has already posted a temporary patch.

I think this has been poorly marketed, there is too great an emphasis on the alien plants bit and not enough on the general purpose script.  I only became interested when I noticed that several of the promo scenes were based on Ultrascenes.  I wonder how  many potential buyers have passed it by under the mistaken impression that it was just about alien plants?

Cheers,

Alex.

This discussion has been closed.