UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    MelanieL said:

I'm trying to wean myself off those boardwalks...

Does he know something that we don't? Pending snow blizzard? I like it.

No, just a typical UK Autumn day - sunny but chilly! (Thanks)

Gogger said:

I wasn't getting what I wanted from this scene at eye level so went up above and ended up with this. 
    Two instances of UltraScenery
    1. River 6: Pines 4
    2. River 6: Pines 1. 
    DeepSea's Eagle, and Matte Fog at 1000. I finished with Photoshop and Topaz Studio. 
    Life is good.

I'm in awe! Superb.

• I’m having a strange problem with Iray render artefacts on some of my UltraScenery scenes.  I’m getting black lines on the upper chest of my figure.  I’ve rendered the same figure in two scenes. Both renders  were done with the same figure, clothing, camera, lighting and render settings.  I’ve tried moving the figure around and rotating it but I still get the artefact.

The first scene was with river 5, mossy hollow 2 and the clear river.  This has the problem artefacts. The second render was with the original  mossy hollow botanica.  This renders with no problems.   

Since the figure renders correctly in one scene but not the other, I’m inclined to think that the problem is scene related. Since I suspect that the problem scene has significantly more instances than mossy hollow botanica, I wonder if this is some weird memory problem? (Before someone asks, yes, optimisation was set to memory.)

Can anyone cast any light on what is causing this?

Thanks,

Alex.

Artefact 1 Problem.JPG
    1000 x 625 - 225K
    Artefact 2 Render Settings.JPG
    454 x 931 - 96K

Is there anything we need to pick up before the next US pack comes out? I notice a lot of beach stuff came out today.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    daveso said:
    The boardwalks are awesome. This image by Artini is really special.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2020

I’m having a strange problem with Iray render artefacts on some of my UltraScenery scenes.  I’m getting black lines on the upper chest of my figure.  I’ve rendered the same figure in two scenes. Both renders  were done with the same figure, clothing, camera, lighting and render settings.  I’ve tried moving the figure around and rotating it but I still get the artefact.

The first scene was with river 5, mossy hollow 2 and the clear river.  This has the problem artefacts. The second render was with the original  mossy hollow botanica.  This renders with no problems.   

Since the figure renders correctly in one scene but not the other, I’m inclined to think that the problem is scene related. Since I suspect that the problem scene has significantly more instances than mossy hollow botanica, I wonder if this is some weird memory problem? (Before someone asks, yes, optimisation was set to memory.)

Thanks,

Alex.

I've seen something similar before. You need the Instancing Optimization setting on Memory for all the instances, but it can cause issues with other objects. (I've only seen it mess with figure materials myself.) I had to do spot renders of the affected areas with optimization set to speed. Blending can then be a pain, as it apparently changed the lighting somewhat. (That was this image.)

You may need to render in two passes. And you could try using canvases for rendering just the figure(s) affected by this issue, with optimization set to Speed. (Though I'm no expert on canvases; It may not work, either.)

ETA: I must admit, I've not seen such perfect symmetrical lines before. What I've seen has looked like the material tiles were offset.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited September 2020

Deleted.

Post edited by dawnblade on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    L'Adair said:

I’m having a strange problem with Iray render artefacts on some of my UltraScenery scenes.  I’m getting black lines on the upper chest of my figure.  I’ve rendered the same figure in two scenes. Both renders  were done with the same figure, clothing, camera, lighting and render settings.  I’ve tried moving the figure around and rotating it but I still get the artefact.

Thanks,

Alex.

I've seen something similar before. You need the Instancing Optimization setting on Memory for all the instances, but it can cause issues with other objects. (I've only seen it mess with figure materials myself.) I had to do spot renders of the affected areas with optimization set to speed. Blending can then be a pain, as it apparently changed the lighting somewhat. (That was this image.)

You may need to render in two passes. And you could try using canvases for rendering just the figure(s) affected by this issue, with optimization set to Speed. (Though I'm no expert on canvases; It may not work, either.)

ETA: I must admit, I've not seen such perfect symmetrical lines before. What I've seen has looked like the material tiles were offset.

I have had a similar problem with optimization set to memory causing a problem with the character's eye materials. It happened in a scene with a lot in instances, also, preventing me from just changing it to speed. I had to do workarounds like L'Adair mentioned. Moving the character a long way from 0,0 can also introduce Iray errors. It works better to leave the character at 0,0 and move the whole environment instead so that she is positioned where you want her in the environment.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Lazy Day

Using the new Ultrascenery Landscape Features Volume 2

Can you find the mouse?

(Full size image is 2500x1194 you can check it out on my Flickr account)

edited September 2020

Rained out Lazy Day

I wanted to play with MMX's Rain Tool to see how it faired.  I adjusted most of the shaders to make them look more wet.  I did notice that the boardwalk still looks to glossy but after an hour render I was not going to go back and redo.  Maybe later.

Can you find the mouse? (hes really hard to find here!)

RainedOutLazyDay.jpg
    1884 x 903 - 2M
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Daventaki said:

Rained out Lazy Day

I wanted to play with MMX's Rain Tool to see how it faired.  I adjusted most of the shaders to make them look more wet.  I did notice that the boardwalk still looks to glossy but after an hour render I was not going to go back and redo.  Maybe later.

The dark blob on the floating shoe.

Cheers,

Alex.

Floating shoe? Isn't that a duck?
  • barbult said:
    Floating shoe? Isn't that a duck?

Taking a closer look, yes,  I think you're right.  My eyesight was never brilliant and it hasn't improved with age!

Cheers,

Alex.

edited September 2020
    Daventaki said:

Rained out Lazy Day

Cheers,

Alex.

Yes its a duck, two for that matter. Lol Now that I take a closer look the rainy one is probably going to be really hard to spot, the image isn't really big/detailed enough.  Tip: If you find him in the Lazy Day image hes about in the same area!

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Daventaki said:
    Daventaki said:

Rained out Lazy Day

Cheers,

Alex.

Yes its a duck, two for that matter. Lol Now that I take a closer look the rainy one is probably going to be really hard to spot, the image isn't really big/detailed enough.  Tip: If you find him in the Lazy Day image hes about in the same area!

Is it on the log that juts out onto the pebbles in the bottom righthand corner of the image? There's definitely a small, brown blob of something down there. 

Cheers,

Alex.

• barbult said:
    L'Adair said:

Thanks,

Alex.

I have had a similar problem with optimization set to memory causing a problem with the character's eye materials. It happened in a scene with a lot in instances, also, preventing me from just changing it to speed. I had to do workarounds like L'Adair mentioned. Moving the character a long way from 0,0 can also introduce Iray errors. It works better to leave the character at 0,0 and move the whole environment instead so that she is positioned where you want her in the environment.

@L'Adair and @Barbult,

Many thanks for your helpful comments.  I've managed to do some further testing this morning.  Barbult's suggestion of setting the figure to co-ordinates 0,0,0 and moving the scene instead has fixed the problem.  Moving the scene around the figure instead of the other way round was a surreal experience.  Archmage Serena is now back to stalking Huge Evil Monsters around the Mossy Hollow jungle. 

Cheers,

Alex.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I think I've found the mouse in the first image…

Sitting on top of the left end of a log on the right side of the image, below the clump of cattails.

But I couldn't find it in the rainy image, so maybe that little brown lump is something else…?

Daventaki said:
    Daventaki said:

Rained out Lazy Day

Cheers,

Alex.

Is it on the log that juts out onto the pebbles in the bottom righthand corner of the image? There's definitely a small, brown blob of something down there. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Jackpot! You got it! Hes just barely sticking his head out of the log because of the rain!

L'Adair got it from the Lazy Day image! 

Thanks you'll for participating!

edited September 2020

I tried a new approach.  I wanted a colorful flower scene, like Keukenhof. I created an ecology with many dense flower layers, each completely covering the entire terrain. In the Build tab I decided which layers to use,  and I used layer masks to control where the flowers would be placed. I built a second UltraScene to add the trees, grass, etc., using masks to control where those elements would go. This is the result of my experiment. I wrote it up in my thread.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Wow, that's stunning!

edited September 2020

Wow, that's stunning!

Thank you. It seems there is no end to what UltraScenery can do with a little imagination. That has been demonstrated over and over by users in this thread. I never get bored with it.

Post edited by barbult on

Wow, that's brilliant, @barbult ! I've visited the Keukenhof several times and could have mistaken those for photos (except for the lack of crowds!)

MelanieL said:

Wow, that's brilliant, @barbult ! I've visited the Keukenhof several times and could have mistaken those for photos (except for the lack of crowds!)

Thanks, you are right. I've been there a few times, too, and crowds are ALWAYS there! That is definitely the missing element here in my image.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

@barbult, that is awesome!!

dawnblade said:

@barbult, that is awesome!!

Thanks, give it a try, if you feel like editing JSON files. I have basic instructions in my thread.

• UltraScenery was an instant-buy as soon as it came out, but I've only now started to really play with it. This is my current work in progress, using one of the Willow ecologies.

• ragtatter said:

UltraScenery was an instant-buy as soon as it came out, but I've only now started to really play with it. This is my current work in progress, using one of the Willow ecologies.

Well done ragtatter!

• barbult said:

I tried a new approach.  I wanted a colorful flower scene, like Keukenhof. I created an ecology with many dense flower layers, each completely covering the entire terrain. In the Build tab I decided which layers to use,  and I used layer masks to control where the flowers would be placed. I built a second UltraScene to add the trees, grass, etc., using masks to control where those elements would go. This is the result of my experiment. I wrote it up in my thread.

Really stunning. Been there once and loved it.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331

Looking great, Barbult.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392
    barbult said:

That's beautiful, and definitely looks like Keukenhof :)

This discussion has been closed.