UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,375
    edited September 2020
    barbult said:
    Gogger said:

While UltraScenery excels in wide landscape scenes, it also excels at tight close-ups. However, trying to set up Depth of Field on an instanced plant *can* be a pain(!) but worth the effort I think. With UltraScenery the fun just never ends!

That closeup looks amazingly good. Did you find a technique, other than trial and error, to focus on the instance? I wonder if it would have been easier to place one "real" prop at the location you wanted to focus on and set the DOF for that instead of on an instance. I've found it nearly impossible to locate a single instance, so if you have a technique, I'm eager to hear it.

I tried placing a different, non-instanced object, (a challenge in itself) and found it almost always had unwanted intersections with instanced items in this densely populated a scene. So, with no DoF I aimed the camera and then just started changing the settings in the camera DoF and testing until I got something I liked. The final, sensitive adjustments near the end of trying were the most brutal because you start having EXPECTATIONS instead of just exploring - HA HA!

[EDIT TO ADD] Case in point, in this image I added the calendar stone and the poke-throughs were INSANE. I did two images and masked them together in Photoshop.

VT_Misty_Jungle_Ancient_Calendar_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1200 x 1920 - 475K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,530
    barbult said:

I love this thread! ^_^ So many gorgeous renders.  This product has revolutionized Daz Studio!

Here's one that doesn't look like any of the others, lol!  I used Ultrascenery for the sand, rocks, fallen coconuts and palm fronds, and water.  The "foam" on the beach is from SY Rigged Waves, which works great as an addon to Ultrascenery, I think.  Looking at it again, I should have tinted the waves a little blue-er to match the water better.  The waves are rigged so you can snake them along the beach, so it doesn't matter what shape coast you get from Ultrascenery!

When the ocean waves lap up on the sand like that, they are white. Your waves look good. It is fun to see a beach render for a change!

Right, sorry, I didn't mean the white parts, I was talking about the greenish edge of the water from the waves product where it meets the blue edge of the Ultrascenery water.  It looks a bit odd to me, but then again ocean water can have green or purple tint to it sometimes.  Glad you enjoyed it!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,938
    Gogger said:
    barbult said:
    Gogger said:

While UltraScenery excels in wide landscape scenes, it also excels at tight close-ups. However, trying to set up Depth of Field on an instanced plant *can* be a pain(!) but worth the effort I think. With UltraScenery the fun just never ends!

That closeup looks amazingly good. Did you find a technique, other than trial and error, to focus on the instance? I wonder if it would have been easier to place one "real" prop at the location you wanted to focus on and set the DOF for that instead of on an instance. I've found it nearly impossible to locate a single instance, so if you have a technique, I'm eager to hear it.

I tried placing a different, non-instanced object, (a challenge in itself) and found it almost always had unwanted intersections with instanced items in this densely populated a scene. So, with no DoF I aimed the camera and then just started changing the settings in the camera DoF and testing until I got something I liked. The final, sensitive adjustments near the end of trying were the most brutal because you start having EXPECTATIONS instead of just exploring - HA HA!

[EDIT TO ADD] Case in point, in this image I added the calendar stone and the poke-throughs were INSANE. I did two images and masked them together in Photoshop.

The result has a real humid jungle atmosphere. Did you try any masking within UltraScenery to keep a clear spot for your calendar?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

A regular occurence where I live LOL. No-one swims up here.  

Daventaki said:

They were so captivated by the beauty they did not inquire about the danger.

barbult said:
    Gogger said:
    barbult said:
    Gogger said:

The result has a real humid jungle atmosphere. Did you try any masking within UltraScenery to keep a clear spot for your calendar?

I understand the concept of masking in UltraScenery, but just haven't had two minutes to rub together.  I've been encouraged to try it by what you, and others, have been doing though!

edited September 2020

Here's one for @DoctorJellybean with alligators. smiley

USC River Mangroves 03 BV Seed 1 muddy river BCam Pond C.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 949K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

Here's one for @DoctorJellybean with alligators. smiley

laugh That's very nice indeed, thank you.

• barbult said:
    Timotheus said:
    barbult said:

Same scene with my latest Dead Trees Ecology. This ecology always renders pretty fast. I think it is because there aren't so many leaves.

Great stuff, as usual, barbult! What are you using for the dead trees?

@Timotheus 

The dead trees are:

• Willow Creek Tree03 Iray from Willow Creek (with root base modified as I described in my thread for better positioning on sloped terrain. On fairly flat terrain, you wouldn't need to do that, but I was experimenting and learning.)
    • NP6 EasternWhitePine from Nature Plants 06 (with the pine needles opacity at 0)
    • NP5 EasternRedCedar from Nature Plants 05 (with cedar needles opacity at 0)

The UltraScenery ecology JSON files have the capability to change materials on a prop, so I used that capability to set the Nature Plants tree needles to 0 opacity,

Ah, very cool. Thanks for the details.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,792
    Has TAO US been fixed yet?
    daveso said:
    Has TAO US been fixed yet?

I haven't seen the second update appear in DIM yet. QA seems very slow to process vendor updates these days.

• Landscape features volume 2, which Howie teased about a month ago, has escaped into the wild.    This is the one which has 15 new track, river and wetland terrain options.  Two of them have his new boardwalk feature, which is what I'm really interested in.  

My copy is already downloaded and I hope to go exploring later on today.  I certainly picked the right time to take a day off work!

Cheers,

Alex.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited September 2020

I've just installed my latest purchase and fed the statistics into my tame copy of Excel.  The results are as follows:

Ecologies    69
    Water Textures    15

Water Features   22
    Land Only Features   12
    Total Features   34

Water Combinations   22770
    Land Only Combinations    828
    Total Combinations    23598

There are now 23598 possible combinations of terrain, water shader and ecology.  This should keep everyone  busy for a while. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
    edited September 2020
    Never totally satisfied, let's go for different kinds of paved roads next. Well, gravel and muddy ruts would be really cool too. The volume 2 in my cart. I'm going to buy it now and dream about when I will get back to my computer to render again
    Post edited by daveso on
  • daveso said:
    Never totally satisfied, let's go for different kinds of paved roads next. Well, gravel and muddy ruts would be really cool too. The volume 2 in my cart. I'm going to buy it now and dream about when I will get back to my computer to render again

Barbult has done  a lot of work on using alternate textures for tracks.  See the August 6th post on page 3 of her thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/408551/ultrascenery-experiments-and-experiences/p1

Cheers,

Alex.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035

I've just installed my latest purchase and fed the statistics into my tame copy of Excel.  The results are as follows:

Ecologies    69
    Water Textures    15

Water Features   22
    Land Only Features   12
    Total Features   34

There are now 23598 possible combinations of Terrain, water shader and ecology.  This should keep everyone  busy for a while. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Alex,

Have you ever tried to figure how 'height maps' and 'mask' selections would also adjust the numbers? They seem to be an individual's wild card that can increase your ultimate number of combinations even more.

Mary

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912
    edited September 2020

Ecologies    69
    Water Textures    15

Water Features   22
    Land Only Features   12
    Total Features   34

There are now 23598 possible combinations of Terrain, water shader and ecology.  This should keep everyone  busy for a while. 

Cheers,

Alex.

Alex,

Have you ever tried to figure how 'height maps' and 'mask' selections would also adjust the numbers? They seem to be an individual's wild card that can increase your ultimate number of combinations even more.

Mary

Multiplied by both the seeds. 1000 for scene and 1000 for ecology (misspelled btw) so multiply 23598 by 1,000,000 so at least 23 billion.

Didn't one of the seed used to be larger?

Edit: actually the seed for the scene is 1,000,000 which would make the number of variations 23 trillion.

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
    edited September 2020
    I have not tried it and cannot for awhile, but how/what changes when the seed number is changed +1. Can you actually see the difference with only a +1 change?
    Post edited by daveso on
    edited September 2020

I'm LOVING the newest add-on!  I used to use VUE for this kind of thing - I NEVER in a million years thought I would be doing this level of scenery in DAZ Studio!

__DS_Autumn_Creek_Walk_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by Gogger on
    edited September 2020
    Gogger said:

I'm LOVING the newest add-on!  I used to use VUE for this kind of thing - I NEVER in a million years thought I would be doing this level of scenery in DAZ Studio!

Stunning.  May I ask which ecology did you use?

Cheers,

Alex. 

edited September 2020
    MarcCCTx said:

Ecologies    69
    Water Textures    15

Water Features   22
    Land Only Features   12
    Total Features   34

Cheers,

Alex.

Alex,

Mary

Multiplied by both the seeds. 1000 for scene and 1000 for ecology (misspelled btw) so multiply 23598 by 1,000,000 so at least 23 billion.

Edit: actually the seed for the scene is 1,000,000 which would make the number of variations 23 trillion.

MarcCCTx said:

Ecologies    69
    Water Textures    15

Water Features   22
    Land Only Features   12
    Total Features   34

Cheers,

Alex.

Alex,

Mary

I have dabbled in the dark arts of vegetation masks but not height maps.  My figures are for the base options, before you start tinkering with the settings. 

You can also boost the number of variations by adding some extra trees.  I've done some  experiments with Martin J Frost's Olive Trees, which turned out rather well.

Cheers,

Alex.

• @Gogger that is very nice indeed.

Gogger said:

Stunning.  Which ecology did you use?

Cheers,

Alex. 

Thanks, Alex!  I used Path: River 05 and Ecology: Pines 03. 

Just when I think UltraScenery couldn't possibly get any more cool...

• Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

Thanks. Howie has definitely upped the ante with this release, hasn't he?

Cheers,

Alex.

• the images in this thread are just utterly awesome yes

@gogger. I think that is one of the coolest renders on awhile. Great work
  • Oh my giddy aunt. That is superb, Gogger.

Regards,

Richard

Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

That's a very nice image, showing off what is possible with the new features.

edited September 2020

Here is one with Bridge 1 and Oaks 3. I'm not a fan of going fishing, but I seem to like rendering UltraScenery fishing images for some reason.

USC Bridge 1 Oaks 3 final.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited September 2020

This is my current desktop wallpaper...

Boardwalk.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 5M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
This discussion has been closed.