UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

After spending most of the last two weeks experimenting with US, I have come up with a wishlist of additions that I would love to see...

1. Ability to add null / invisible props that can can use the affinity / repel condition like with Ultrascatter.
    2. Ability for the height maps to create "tileable" terrains.
    3. The Features / Ecology panels to be a little more configurable or descriptive about what they will generate.

This one is probably a pipe dream, but...  For there to be an option for things like the river to not be static, but to be X space above the lowest point.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited July 2020
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

I've decided I need to learn to use Bryce at least to the extent of creating terrain maps. I'm also planning on getting Scar 8, and I found several Bryce products in the list of Free DO content, including some that are just for creating terrains. I thought I'd mention it here, in case anyone else is interested in picking up one or two of them. (Here's a link to that list filtered by Bryce Software.)

I can't suggest Filter Forge enough. You don't need a photo editing software as it will run independantly. There are so many different free filters to use as well.

I have Filter Forge. Even have a few published filters, (here,) but I've not tried to use it for creating terrain maps. It may make a difference that I'm still using 4.0, but if not, I wouldn't mind a few links to filters that would help me create custom terrain maps.

When I purchased my copy, I also bought the Filter Library, so all of the then current filters came with it. (I was mobile a lot and this made it a lot easier to browse the filters offline.)

The filters I've had the most luck with:
    Geology 1 (11382)
    Mars Lander (14451)
    Plasma Streams (5291)
    Satellite Image (9450)
    Sedimentary Boulders Rock Face (14206)
    Terrain Heightfield Generator (935)

Most of these will automatically output a Bump Map. The ones that don't, offer options that make the output just gray scale.

I've had the best luck with images that aren't too detailed and have a bit of blur at the color changes.

Thank you, Jason. I'm going to check those out!

ETA: Sedimentary Boulders Rock Face (14206) and Mars Lander (14451) require later versions than 4.0, but I'll be giving the other four a try as soon as my current RL distraction is behind me.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    1. Ability to add null / invisible props that can can use the affinity / repel condition like with Ultrascatter. ---------------------- Wow, is that a thing? If so I second that.
  • ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 836

I've been following this thread for a while and have thoroughly enjoyed the discussion and the shared imagery. I don't have Ultra Scenery yet since I thought my system couldn't handle it, but I have since been proven wrong. wink But Howie, thank you for keeping your original post updated with the links. This is VERY helpful for a customer searching for content and info. *two thumbs up*

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606

New (free update) version 1.2 of UltraScenery now in QA for final testing. New features are:

• new Water tab including presets and extended settings panel,
    • layer masks (yes you will be able to create clearings),
    • minor UI change so it works properly in Studio 4.10+, and
    • bug fixes
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 12.02.55 pm.png
    852 x 651 - 276K
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 12.02.17 pm.png
    852 x 651 - 149K
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,794

yes  awesome on the update

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,530

New (free update) version 1.2 of UltraScenery now in QA for final testing. New features are:

• bug fixes

Yay!  I can't wait.  Thank you so much for all your work on these products.  They have honestly made Daz Studio much better!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

• bug fixes

HowieFarkes you are just AWESOME!   Thank you!!!

• bug fixes

Nice. Looking forward to it. I can already see another week or two of my time evaporating. :)

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    L'Adair said:

ETA: Sedimentary Boulders Rock Face (14206) and Mars Lander (14451) require later versions than 4.0, but I'll be giving the other four a try as soon as my current RL distraction is behind me.

L'Adair if you ever get the chance to upgrade it is well worth it!  (You can sometimes get it for pretty cheap here at Daz and thier website.  I have used FF for many different things!

Thought I would through in an experiment here since I have not tried to do one with FF yet.  This is from Landform Plus Heightmap.  I did look and its for 6 and higher unfortunately.  I could have taken the map into and editor or one of the FF filters and increased the contrast on it but I wanted to see what I got out of the box.

First image is the height map feel free to use if anyone wants. The second is a default scene settings with the height map added no features and grasslands 1.

terrain1.png
    600 x 600 - 3M
    terrain1orig.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited July 2020
    3dOutlaw said:
    1. Ability to add null / invisible props that can can use the affinity / repel condition like with Ultrascatter. ---------------------- Wow, is that a thing? If so I second that.

I don't know, honestly. Ultrascatter has it, so I thought maybe it was possible.

I've been experimenting with using UltraScatter in conjunction with UltraScenery and having mixed results.

UltraScenery is MUCH better at handling the instances. That's not a slight against Scatter, just a slight against the models I have been experimenting with while using Scatter.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

I've decided I need to learn to use Bryce at least to the extent of creating terrain maps. I'm also planning on getting Scar 8, and I found several Bryce products in the list of Free DO content, including some that are just for creating terrains. I thought I'd mention it here, in case anyone else is interested in picking up one or two of them. (Here's a link to that list filtered by Bryce Software.)

I can't suggest Filter Forge enough. You don't need a photo editing software as it will run independantly. There are so many different free filters to use as well.

I have Filter Forge. Even have a few published filters, (here,) but I've not tried to use it for creating terrain maps. It may make a difference that I'm still using 4.0, but if not, I wouldn't mind a few links to filters that would help me create custom terrain maps.

When I purchased my copy, I also bought the Filter Library, so all of the then current filters came with it. (I was mobile a lot and this made it a lot easier to browse the filters offline.)

The filters I've had the most luck with:
    Geology 1 (11382)
    Mars Lander (14451)
    Plasma Streams (5291)
    Satellite Image (9450)
    Sedimentary Boulders Rock Face (14206)
    Terrain Heightfield Generator (935)

Most of these will automatically output a Bump Map. The ones that don't, offer options that make the output just gray scale.

I've had the best luck with images that aren't too detailed and have a bit of blur at the color changes.

I was worried about that. I had no real way to check if they were backwards compatible.

On plus side, those are ones that I had the least success with, so you're not missing much. :)

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

• bug fixes

YAY! Thank you Howie! yes

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331

• bug fixes

Thanks a lot for the update.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035

• bug fixes

Thank you sir for all your work!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

• bug fixes

I wonder if Howie ever gets any sleep?

Cheers,

Alex.

• bug fixes

I wonder if Howie ever gets any sleep?

Cheers,

Alex.

He shouldn't. It should be punishment for all the sleep he is making the rest of us lose by playing with these shinies he keeps making.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330

• bug fixes

Oh wow! I'm looking forward to this one.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Just a heads up: If like me, you were waiting for the Nature Trees Pack 4 to qualify for discounts at the end of last month's event sale, so ended up not getting the required product yet, it's still not on sale, but there's a BYO Flash Sale for 50% off up to three items going on right now. I don't know how long the Flash Sale will last, but if you're quick, you could get the set for 50% off.

@HowieFarkes, Great news about version 1.2. The changes look intriguing.

Does this mean we can use different masks for different objects of the same type? For example, put pine trees on one side of the river and oaks on the other, by using one mask for the pine trees and another for the oaks? (Fingers crossed the answer is yes…)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330

Yes, I spotted that opportunity and the pine trees are mine!
    I was disappointed that Nature Pack 4 didn't make the Summer Sale catchup, but I really really wanted the pines (nearly paid full price) so 50% is pretty good for something that new.

edited July 2020

Ultrascenery + UltraScatterPro (pure DS render, no post processing)

The two together work extrremely well, but I do have a couple of pointers:

1. Create your Ultrascene prop and be careful about what items you want the script to add. It's harder to remove them later.
    2. Be sure that you are happy with the UltraScene prop before you start using Scatter. Redoing the prop can be bad.
    3. Be careful about what props you add with US. If you sense any significant lag, beyond what you would normally see with UltraScene, back off. The prop you used isn't well suited to this.
    4. Save between each UltraScatter, just because of #3.

Some benefits in using UltraScatter:

1. You can redo the scatter to change the random placements without having to redo the entire UltraScene prop.
    2. You can control where the scatter places things; the how high or low on the prop they appear, if they appear on slopes, etc.
    3. You can also use the repel and attract aspects to make scatter put items in certain places.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on

Just a note to those who don't have a lot of the add-ons, make sure to wish list them now. The PA sale and PC+ sale, and of course the holiday sales will be a great time to scoop them up, if you don't get a chance before. Of course, paying full price or a marginal discount, will support your local PAs, if you can afford it. wink

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,944

Just a note to those who don't have a lot of the add-ons, make sure to wish list them now. The PA sale and PC+ sale, and of course the holiday sales will be a great time to scoop them up, if you don't get a chance before. Of course, paying full price or a marginal discount, will support your local PAs, if you can afford it. wink

Good tip, Mary. I still don't have all possible add ons and more are coming. I'm still watching for TangoAlpha's add on for the apple orchard.

barbult said:

Good tip, Mary. I still don't have all possible add ons and more are coming. I'm still watching for TangoAlpha's add on for the apple orchard.

That would be great, so hopefully Howie changed his mind. But I am looking forward to TA's add-on for the apple orchard.

dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

That would be great, so hopefully Howie changed his mind. But I am looking forward to TA's add-on for the apple orchard.

What are you trying to do with the Apple Orchard? I think I have it... and it might be interesting to try with UltraScatter.

I was very lucky that over the past few years I had bought heavily from Howie and TangoAlpha, along with other landscape PAs, and was able to buy the recent releases as they came out. Great PAs are worth the money.

dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

What are you trying to do with the Apple Orchard? I think I have it... and it might be interesting to try with UltraScatter.

Very kind of you, Jason! I have it and UltraScatter too, but I don't have any ideas at the moment. Just expressing interest that TA is making an add-on with a product I have already. smiley

dawnblade said:
    dawnblade said:
    barbult said:

Very kind of you, Jason! I have it and UltraScatter too, but I don't have any ideas at the moment. Just expressing interest that TA is making an add-on with a product I have already. smiley

I asked because I was picking through the various models and trying to see which ones worked the best...  I didn't realize that the Apple Orchird was, so I hadn't tested it.

I've found the props in the other products to be the most compatible. I picked the wrong tree to test with last night and just about crippled my system until I could do a safe reboot. :)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

I kept running into bushes, trees and leaves with my renders in the forest, so I asked @mCasual if he had a script to hide instances or things, that can be used around a camera or by an object.  He did not, but he is so good at scripts now, he quickly made one!  I am about to try it, but figured I would post it here, in case you want to give it a test  :)

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjgetoutofmyface

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    3dOutlaw said:

I kept running into bushes, trees and leaves with my renders in the forest, so I asked @mCasual if he had a script to hide instances or things, that can be used around a camera or by an object.  He did not, but he is so good at scripts now, he quickly made one!  I am about to try it, but figured I would post it here, in case you want to give it a test  :)

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjgetoutofmyface

Thanks for the link.

This discussion has been closed.