UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

Well, I could not get it to work, these are 3 images, first was no script, second was 300cm front onll, nothing else, third was 600cm with the word tree, any direction...?  It may be bugged, or my system/usage is wrong.

I did notice that the instances may be in groups, so this may turn off a whole instance group, so that may be a problem with this approach?

I will touch base with @mCasual to see what he thinks.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

What if the script approached the problem from the other way?

Find spots where there are no trees and create cameras? Then you can test each view point to see if any work?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Not that @HowieFarkes needs any more work, but perhaps the USC script could repel tall objects from a selected camera, somewhat like it currently lets you select a camera and constrain the scatter to within the camera view. Of course, I have no idea how much work such an option would entail, or if it's even feasible. Mostly thinking "out loud" after reading the last few posts…

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,944
    3dOutlaw said:

Well, I could not get it to work, these are 3 images, first was no script, second was 300cm front onll, nothing else, third was 600cm with the word tree, any direction...?  It may be bugged, or my system/usage is wrong.

I did notice that the instances may be in groups, so this may turn off a whole instance group, so that may be a problem with this approach?

Even though the script dialog has an entry field for minimum distance, the in actual use, script code has that hard coded to 100.
    The script works only on objects and does not work on instances, so I don't think it will be helpful for UltraScenery in its current form.
    The text string for matching with object label is case sensitive. I don't know whether that is intentional of not, but it is something to be aware of as a user.

barbult said:
    3dOutlaw said:

Even though the script dialog has an entry field for minimum distance, the in actual use, script code has that hard coded to 100.
    The script works only on objects and does not work on instances, so I don't think it will be helpful for UltraScenery in its current form.
    The text string for matching with object label is case sensitive. I don't know whether that is intentional of not, but it is something to be aware of as a user.

Here is a question for you, because I think you are the closest thing we have to an expert on this...

I've been trying to use UltraScatter with UltraScenery and have been largely successful. Using min and max height works very well.

I then moved on to working with the Scene formats that include the paths. I figured that using the Image Map for distribution would keep items off of the paths...  but that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, Scatter seems to completely disregard the image map / mask. It doesn't matter what map I use... Any thoughts?

barbult said:
    3dOutlaw said:

Here is a question for you, because I think you are the closest thing we have to an expert on this...

I've been trying to use UltraScatter with UltraScenery and have been largely successful. Using min and max height works very well.

I then moved on to working with the Scene formats that include the paths. I figured that using the Image Map for distribution would keep items off of the paths...  but that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, Scatter seems to completely disregard the image map / mask. It doesn't matter what map I use... Any thoughts?

Well, I'd say HowieFarkes is the actul expert wink, but I've used the tools a lot. I'm happy to help where I can. 
    Using the UltraScenery feature maps with UltraScatterPro is working fine for me. Can you give more details about what map you are using and where you are plugging it on to UltraScatter? Are you using UltraScatter or UltraScatterPro? Did you select UltraScene as the target object to scatter on?

I used a StoneMason red maple tree and scattered it on an UltraScenery terrain using the Track 2 forest map. It worked the way I expected it to.

Red maple scatter on terrain track 2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Lowres tree top view red maple scatter track 2.jpg
    1888 x 1857 - 692K
    Screenshot 2020-07-03 17.49.35.png
    756 x 696 - 107K
    Screenshot 2020-07-03 17.50.18.png
    756 x 696 - 158K
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,530

Really enjoying everyone's renders!  I check this thread every day, and it never ceases to amaze me!

Here are a few renders I've done lately that use Ultrascenery, and sometimes the Harpwood Trail add-on (I'll get the others eventually!).  I don't think I've posted these here yet, I apologize if I have.

Forest Beauty.jpg
    2565 x 1586 - 7M
    Legends of the Forest Guardian.jpg
    2437 x 1507 - 7M
    Fishing.jpg
    2700 x 1669 - 7M
    The Challenge.jpg
    2700 x 1669 - 7M
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    3dOutlaw said:

Well, I'd say HowieFarkes is the actul expert wink, but I've used the tools a lot. I'm happy to help where I can. 
    Using the UltraScenery feature maps with UltraScatterPro is working fine for me. Can you give more details about what map you are using and where you are plugging it on to UltraScatter? Are you using UltraScatter or UltraScatterPro? Did you select UltraScene as the target object to scatter on?

I used a StoneMason red maple tree and scattered it on an UltraScenery terrain using the Track 2 forest map. It worked the way I expected it to.

Many thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try when I get a spare minute.

Cheers,

Alex.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited July 2020

Great tips.

I am still enjoying creating height maps in Bryce and bringing them into UltraScenery.

Pocked04sc05pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited July 2020
    • I used UltraScenery to create the terrain with Track 02 and the grass and daisies.
    • I used UltraScatterPro to scatter the StoneMason Red Maples, using the USC_Track_02_forestmask for the distribution mask, as shown above.
    • I used UltraScatterPro to scatter USC River Pebbles 01, 02, and 03 to create a rocky path, using USC_Track_02_roadbase for the distribution mask.
    UltraScenery with UltraScatterPro_004 PS Small.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited July 2020

in case someone downloaded my free script to hide objects in front of the camera,

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjgetoutofmyface

in version 2 i corrected the issue with the "minimum distance" field

BUT

as it is now, this script wont work with ultrascenes

because i discovered that the trees and rocks etc are not simple instances 

they are instance groups and/or instance proxies

which i didnt know existed before today

if i modify the script for scenes with instance groups/proxies, i'll post in the Daz3D freebies forum

Well

musique.jpg
    960 x 540 - 163K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited July 2020
    mCasual said:

in case someone downloaded my free script to hide objects in front of the camera,

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjgetoutofmyface

in version 2 i corrected the issue with the "minimum distance" field

BUT

as it is now, this script wont work with ultrascenes

because i discovered that the trees and rocks etc are not simple instances 

they are instance groups and/or instance proxies

which i didnt know existed before today

if i modify the script for scenes with instance groups/proxies, i'll post in the Daz3D freebies forum

3dOutlaw said:

Well

That will be great.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I finally got around topurchasing this on June 30 and it's amazing! I also  purchased the  Mossy Hollow add on.  After some trial and error and reading throug the first 30 pages on the forums I ended up with this image.  Definitely not as great as some I've seen here but it's a start.

US2Mog house.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    barbult said:
    3dOutlaw said:

barbult said:
    barbult said:
    3dOutlaw said:

Attached is what I tried...

Mask 1 sort of worked. Trees still appeared on the path, but not as frequently. I thought it might have been the gradient at the edge, but the errant trees would appear smack dab in the middle of the path.

Mask 3 didn't work at all. US just dumped everywhere, like it was ignoring the mask.

Mask 2, not shown here, was an inverse of Mask 1. That one worked fine. It made leaf clutter appear just on the path. So it appeared that the masks are the right size and shape and alligned properly.

Track 02 Mask 1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 46K
    Track02Mask3.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 45K
    edited July 2020
    Kharma said:

I finally got around topurchasing this on June 30 and it's amazing! I also  purchased the  Mossy Hollow add on.  After some trial and error and reading throug the first 30 pages on the forums I ended up with this image.  Definitely not as great as some I've seen here but it's a start.

For a first try, that is pretty impressive. Nice placement of the building. I can just picture what it looks like inside, since I'm sure there are nature things inside it. :)

The only thing I would say is to find a way to populate the background / horizon. Or change the camera angle to minmize how much of the horizon appears. :)

Cloudscape is really good for making decent skies with interesting eye breaks, without having to invest in a bunch of HDRs.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    barbult said:
    • I used UltraScenery to create the terrain with Track 02 and the grass and daisies.
    • I used UltraScatterPro to scatter the StoneMason Red Maples, using the USC_Track_02_forestmask for the distribution mask, as shown above.
    • I used UltraScatterPro to scatter USC River Pebbles 01, 02, and 03 to create a rocky path, using USC_Track_02_roadbase for the distribution mask.

So you can use the UltraScenery base terrain directly with UltraScatter?  It seemed like the first time I tried that, DS crashed.  I've been duplicating the terrain to scatter on and that's been working.  I can raise or lower the duplicate so the ultrascatter plants look better. But it's one more object to fill memory.

barbult said:

So you can use the UltraScenery base terrain directly with UltraScatter?  It seemed like the first time I tried that, DS crashed.  I've been duplicating the terrain to scatter on and that's been working.  I can raise or lower the duplicate so the ultrascatter plants look better. But it's one more object to fill memory.

Yes, you can scatter directly on the UltraScenery base terrain (called UltraScene in your Sene pane). However, the way you are doing it with a duplicate is better, IMO, because if you decide to rerun UltraScenerylater to change the ecology or something, it will delete all of your UltraScatter groups that are parented to it!!!!! If you UltraScatter on a duplicate of the UltraScene, you are safe from that problem.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Yes, you can scatter directly on the UltraScenery base terrain (called UltraScene in your Sene pane). However, the way you are doing it with a duplicate is better, IMO, because if you decide to rerun UltraScenerylater to change the ecology or something, it will delete all of your UltraScatter groups that are parented to it!!!!! If you UltraScatter on a duplicate of the UltraScene, you are safe from that problem.

That's good to know.  I would have probably learned the hard-way.  Just like I found out that the Aux Viewport can't handle all the instances.  Good for bare terrain lighting tests.  I also dropped a random object in the line-of-sight for my camera and used the Aux Viewport Perspective camera to position an Iray Section plane.  But NOT with PLANTS!  I know - y'all warned us....

This is probably obvious to everyone who isn't a numbskull like me...  If you are working with US and US and using masks, you can apply your mask to the preview material in the surfaces tab. This will allow you to see where the masks are falling without affecting your render.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Kharma said:

For a first try, that is pretty impressive. Nice placement of the building. I can just picture what it looks like inside, since I'm sure there are nature things inside it. :)

The only thing I would say is to find a way to populate the background / horizon. Or change the camera angle to minmize how much of the horizon appears. :)

Cloudscape is really good for making decent skies with interesting eye breaks, without having to invest in a bunch of HDRs.

Thanks Jason, for this one I used the render settings that came with it, for my next one I will keep your tips in mind.  I already purchased Cloudscape so will give it a try next time :)

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thanks again @barbult for the creative inspiration! Rather than scatter trees, this is an experiment with scattering various grasses from ThePhilosoper's Grass and Meadow product.

* I used UltraScenery to create the terrain with Upland 2 and Oaks 5, and the border and patch grasses and daisies.

* I used UltraScatterPro to scatter the various grass cards and meadow grasses, using the TA_Upland_02_fieldmask for the distribution mask, and repelled the Road Pebbles object by 5-10 cm.

* Because the various grasses are tall, I had to raise the instances of the daisies. I also applied the half-dry mats for the meadow grass so that it wasn't just an all green scene.

* Next time I will play with the rotation of the grass when scattering.

USCScatterGrassTest.jpg
    2260 x 1000 - 3M
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,794
    edited July 2020

here is a photo a freind of mine took today uup north of here a few hours. i see USC all over this laugh

out in woods.jpg
    720 x 960 - 125K
    Post edited by daveso on

This is probably obvious to everyone who isn't a numbskull like me...  If you are working with US and US and using masks, you can apply your mask to the preview material in the surfaces tab. This will allow you to see where the masks are falling without affecting your render.

That's a good tip.Thanks.

barbult said:

That's a good tip.Thanks.

I happened upon it by accident. And immediately after I wanted to drive things into my skull for not discovering it sooner.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

If you need to use a duplicate for UltraScatter/Pro, you can hide the duplicate. If you need to see it while working, you can also set Visible in Render to Off in the parameters. Either way will prevent it from using memory when rendering, if that's the memory you're talking about.

L'Adair said:

If you need to use a duplicate for UltraScatter/Pro, you can hide the duplicate. If you need to see it while working, you can also set Visible in Render to Off in the parameters. Either way will prevent it from using memory when rendering, if that's the memory you're talking about.

That is another important tip. You never want two geometries visible in exactky the same place. Iray renders them strangely when that happens. I ususally just hide one with the eye in the Scene pane. 

• metasidemetaside Posts: 177

Thanks for this, really great product, absolutely enjoying this, especially the "mossy" addon!

Also thanks to all for all the ideas and hints in this thread, I started playing around with custom maps and made a small track leading up to a clearing.

This is probably clear for most based on all the information available, but if anybody is having problems with the loading of props from Mossy Botanica or other external products even though they are somewhere in the library: UltraScenery refers directly to the original location of the props/figure folders, not the data and texture folders, so if you moved some products to a different location (for instance, I always move stuff to subfolders to keep everything organized), just point the .json files in the ecologies folders to the right location: open the .json files -> edit -> replace -> find "[OLD LOCATION] (for instance "/environments/landscapes/mossy hollow/") -> replace with [NEW LOCATION]" -> replace all -> save -> done. :) I haven't tried replacing specific plants yet, but there are so many possibilites with this! :D

ForestStructureLR.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 315K
    EmilJungle01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Hey folk, quick question:

Is the Extended Forest option something that came be toggled after scene creation, or once chose, it's part of the scene?

Doc Acme said:

Hey folk, quick question:

Is the Extended Forest option something that came be toggled after scene creation, or once chose, it's part of the scene?

It is part of the scene, but it can easily be hidden by toggling the eye in the Scene pane. The instances that make up the extended forest will have BG in their name, so they are easy to identify in the Scene pane. I usually go ahead and generate them when I generate the scene and turn them off later if I don't want them. If on the other hand, I don't generate the extended forest and later wish I had it, I have to completely regenerate the whole scene again. So, it might take a few seconds longer to generate them the first time, but it is a lot better than waiting several minutes to recreate the whole scene again later to get them if I didn't generate them the first time.

• edited July 2020

Finally picked up the Pines and wanted to try the "Let it Snow" geoshells on them. It took a while to add the shells and adjust the transparancy on each of the original pines but it hardly seems right to complain, given how much UltraScenery is doing for me smiley.

SnowCreek2 copy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 960K
    SnowWolf copy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 708K
    Post edited by kennrowe_f558b276d6 on
This discussion has been closed.