UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited June 2020

Does "Restrict instances to camera" just apply during render?  When I start, I dont have a pre-planned camera, and my option is Current View...which is perspective view.  Does that affect the creation of the instances, or just the rendering of only the instances in the view of the currently selected camera (even if I change cameras)?  It's not clear to me from the PDF.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,359
    edited June 2020
    3dOutlaw said:

Does "Restrict instances to camera" just apply during render?  When I start, I dont have a pre-planned camera, and my option is Current View...which is perspective view.  Does that affect the creation of the instances, or just the rendering of only the instances in the view of the currently selected camera (even if I change cameras)?  It's not clear to me from the PDF.

Perspective View isn't a camera, so you'd need to create a camera to use the camera option. It is used for setting up the instances in the scene.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    41cessna said:

I really don't think you can do a bad render with UltraScenery.

Very nice!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    3dOutlaw said:

It affects the instances, the script will only generate instances in view of the camera.  So if you move the camera(or change cameras) after you run the script you will find there will be areas that don't have anything generated on it.  

What I do is run the script and uncheck everything and let it generate the terrain.  I position it how I want then add a camera copying the position of the perspective view.  Then make sure the Ultrascene is selected and rerun the script checking everything back and selecting the camera that I created. 

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    Daventaki said:
    3dOutlaw said:

It affects the instances, the script will only generate instances in view of the camera.  So if you move the camera(or change cameras) after you run the script you will find there will be areas that don't have anything generated on it.  

What I do is run the script and uncheck everything and let it generate the terrain.  I position it how I want then add a camera copying the position of the perspective view.  Then make sure the Ultrascene is selected and rerun the script checking everything back and selecting the camera that I created. 

Good idea. I have done something like this, but never considered the camera position aspects as option.

I will add one bit of advice: if you do multiple script runs, consider saving the scene, exiting DS, then restarting it periodically. Depending on the complexity of the scene I have found very bad things to happen randomly when I start the render; extreme slow downs, unresponsive interface, disappering pointer, etc.

Exiting and re-entering has helped me avoid these problems.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,945

I highly recommend GPU-Z to monitor GPU memory usage. You can tell when Iray is not letting go of GPU memory from a previous render or previous Iray preview. Then it is time to restart Daz Studio.

Here is another UltraScenery Small World Camera render. This is a version of the fishing image I did a few weeks ago. This time I hid the camera corona. It made an interesting non-fisheye background for the fisheye bubble in the center. The roundish shadow on the water is the Small World Camera casting a shadow. Marshian suggests altering the angle of the lighting to eliminate that, so that the shadow is cast out of the camera view. I haven't tried that yet.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited June 2020

OK, I got it working.  Things to know:  (1) Don't use perspective Camera (2) Dont create a camera based on perspective cam default location, as it maybe below the land.

Here is an image using the Barbult Pond North camera preloaded as the starting cam.  As you can see, even the grass/ground instances are trimmed, so you can't really move it at all after doing this.  Perhaps if you knew the direction you wanted to use, you could preset a few cameras to get the full ground and trees in one direction.

Interestingly, this said it was generating 170,000+ instances, so not sure how much memory it saved for scene navigation?

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited June 2020

I've been looking into alpha mask alterations and have done some experiments to see where/how the changes show up. The attachment shows some of my results (annotated for easier understanding). I think the visual aspect of it all makes everything much easier to comprehend.

One is an example of what diffferent altered track masks do, the other what altered river masks do. I haven't altered and given examples of all masks, but only those you will probably be most interested in altering. Altered height maps (no examples shown, but there's plenty of discussion in the previous posts) may also be of interest, like in the case of bringing down the track (which is raised off the ground in the original mask) flush to the ground level (that would be an all black altered mask).

When experimenting, best practices would dictate that a copy set of all the original masks be saved so that altered (and possibly borked) copies can quickly be replaced by the pristine originals. Also, if two separate terrains are generated (as I did in one example), by sure to give each terrain a different name, or the second terrain will over write (and replace) your same-named 1st terrain. If something isn't clear, ask me.

I am hoping that in return for the time and effort, somebody will be so kind and show us a few lines of JSON code. Most needed would be code lines that point the script to getting a different tree.

altered track masks (example).png
    1278 x 1040 - 489K
    altered river masks (example).png
    900 x 1018 - 416K
    Post edited by mcorr on
    mcorr said:

I've been looking into alpha mask alterations and have done some experiments to see where/how the changes show up. The attachment shows some of my results (annotated for easier understanding). I think the visual aspect of it all makes the whole thing pretty clear.

One is an example of what diffferent altered track masks do, the other what altered river masks do. I haven't altered and given examples of all masks, but only those you will probably be most interested in altering. Altered height maps (no examples shown, but there's plenty of discussion in the previous posts) may also be of interest, like in the case of bringing down the track (which is raised off the ground in the original mask) flush to the ground level (that would be an all black altered mask).

When experimenting, best practices would dictate that a copy set of all the original masks be saved so that altered (and possibly borked) copies can quickly be replaced by the pristine originals. Also, if two separate terrains are generated (as I did in one example), by sure to give each terrain a different name, or the second terrain will over write (and replace) your same-named 1st terrain. If something isn't clear, ask me.

I am hoping that in return for the time and effort, somebody will be so kind and show us a few lines of JSON code. Most needed would be code lines that point the script to getting a different tree.

Go look at my UltraScenery thread. I think it has everything you need to know about replacing props in an ecology.

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    barbult said:
    mcorr said:

I've been looking into alpha mask alterations and have done some experiments to see where/how the changes show up. The attachment shows some of my results (annotated for easier understanding). I think the visual aspect of it all makes the whole thing pretty clear.

Go look at my UltraScenery thread. I think it has everything you need to know about replacing props in an ecology.

Awesome ... thank you for starting that thread and pointing me to it!!

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606
    3dOutlaw said:

OK, I got it working.  Things to know:  (1) Don't use perspective Camera (2) Dont create a camera based on perspective cam default location, as it maybe below the land.

Here is an image using the Barbult Pond North camera preloaded as the starting cam.  As you can see, even the grass/ground instances are trimmed, so you can't really move it at all after doing this.  Perhaps if you knew the direction you wanted to use, you could preset a few cameras to get the full ground and trees in one direction.

Interestingly, this said it was generating 170,000+ instances, so not sure how much memory it saved for scene navigation?

You can use the perspective camera - you just need to select "Current view" as the camera in the drop down list.

And the placement within view is not dynamic - the instances are placed within view of the camera only when you build the scene, so if you move the camera you will need to re-build.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606
    barbult said:

Here is another UltraScenery Small World Camera render. This is a version of the fishing image I did a few weeks ago. This time I hid the camera corona. It made an interesting non-fisheye background for the fisheye bubble in the center. The roundish shadow on the water is the Small World Camera casting a shadow. Marshian suggests altering the angle of the lighting to eliminate that, so that the shadow is cast out of the camera view. I haven't tried that yet.

very cool

edited June 2020

I just learned something new. Max Altitude can be negative. I don't think a negative Max Altitude will work in every scenario, but I tried it with River 2 and a Grasslands ecology. It came out like a group of small low islands scattered in a large body of water. I used the BCam River 2 S camera for this render.

UltraScenery Negative Max Altitude River 2 Grasslands.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 940K
    Post edited by barbult on

I just learned something new. Max Altitude can be negative. I don't think a negative Max Altitude will work in every scenario, but I tried it with River 2 and a Grasslands ecology. It came out like a group of small low islands scattered in a large body of water. I used the BCam River 2 S camera for this render.

barbult said:

very cool

Thanks, I'm always trying something new and experimenting.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,794
    barbult said:

thaqt is really great. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    barbult said:

Nice discovery!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

My latest foray into the wilds of Ultrascenery. This one is Island 3, Oaks 9 with Jack Tomalin’s Pavilion of Montchanin.

Cheers,

Alex.

The Enchanted Pavilion.JPG
    3000 x 1875 - 4M
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    barbult said:

Ooh, that's a fun discovery! I must try it when I've time enough.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited June 2020

Interesting...

Max alt -15, Contrast 100,  Island 1, Oaks 01, Eco Seed 354

minus01pic01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 695K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,771

Love the negative maximum. Great discovery!

This one's River 2 with grasslands 3.

islands klein.jpg
    800 x 800 - 108K
    Nath said:

That looks so real!

edited June 2020

Very interesting discovery.  I tried to do the negative with the lake 3 but didn't get good results. Of course playing with settings more might change that.  This is River 2 with Willows 4 max altitude -2.

I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet but I would like to trim down the amount of trees for sure.

negmaxalltitudeWillows2020.jpg
    2848 x 1810 - 8M
    Post edited by Daventaki on
    Nath said:

Wow this looks like a photo!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035
    barbult said:

@barbult, that looks how I imagine coastal sandbars or something. (Never seen them in real life myself.)

Mary

barbult said:

@barbult, that looks how I imagine coastal sandbars or something. (Never seen them in real life myself.)

Mary

there are areas in the lake I used to live by that have reeds and rushes in big clumps very similar to this render of the "islands.". The water is very shallow. it would be cool if the reeds in USC could pop out of the water that way, not just shoreline. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035

I am trying to remember if I saw a render in this thread of a lake with reeds and ducks. Then I thought, we need to add a listing to all the renders, linking to their page. This commercial thread is already at 50 pages! So much has been discussed, discovered, and shared by so many gifted artists and the PAs involved that it is a treasury to the community.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    gitika1 said:
    barbult said:

You could offer free/low cost add on ecologies requiring the props in your other sets, to stimulate sales of those required sets.

This.  An option to look for and select plants from other owned HowieFarkes products!

+1! I too have many of Howie's sets.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    barbult said:

Cooking one right now using your discovery. Will post when done ;)

Laurie

edited June 2020

i did one of those negatives .. I like it ..but having difficulty in doing what i thought ?I had wanted to do ... 
    #1 ... ship on the horizon ... not as easy as it would seem. the ship is at xtrans -100,000. 
    #2 ... creating a large ocean. I used Terradome # water ... but it is at same level as the USC water ..but there was an obvious square of water where the USC water ened. I hid the USC water and just used the TD3 water ..the stream needs to flow towards the ocean ... but not using TD3 water. 

neg terrain ship.png
    1500 x 562 - 1M
    Post edited by daveso on
This discussion has been closed.