[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• Great tool. Unfortunately, it is conflicted with other stuffs from renderotica such as breastacular... I think the geoshell problem.

I've used this many times on Breastacular with no problems. You can't mesh grab a geoshell so if that's what you're trying to do it won't work by definition.

• Great tool. Unfortunately, it is conflicted with other stuffs from renderotica such as breastacular... I think the geoshell problem.

I've used this many times on Breastacular with no problems. You can't mesh grab a geoshell so if that's what you're trying to do it won't work by definition.

I mean after I actived Mesh Grabber. I used Breastacular as usual, there was a seam or mismatch color between breast and skin. After I uninstalled Mesh Grabber it was back to normal.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited November 2020

If I remember correctly, when you have the mesh grabber tool selected, the geoshells will be temporarily disabled (just like if you were using the geometry editor), which may give the appearance of mismatched colours. When you switch back to one of the regular tools (such as node selection) everything should go back to normal.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • If I remember correctly, when you have the mesh grabber tool selected, the geoshells will be temporarily disabled (just like if you were using the geometry editor), which may give the appearance of mismatched colours. When you switch back to one of the regular tools (such as node selection) everything should go back to normal.

Oh great. I didn't know choose another tool will disable Mesh Grabber. Actually I just want to disable it but I have no idea how, so I uninstalled it.

• You don't need to uninstall it. Just switch to a different tool after you're done using Mesh Grabber.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

I just wanted to add a big thumbs up for this. I Have Blender so i put off buying this since, well, why have both? BUT this is so convenient and exporting everything that you need into Blender and setting important bit to Base Res or having to copy all the surfaces is tedious. I've used this so many times now. The only thing that's frustrating is when the PA opted for low poly and there just isn't enough mesh to move. Obviously not a fault of Mesh Grabber. 

Just an aside. I haven't zeroed any deltas yet with it. I just had Daz crash and when I tried to zero the deltas daz immediately quit. I hope that is a one off. I thought i was just going to have to reload a new G8M anyway until I checked here. Daz initially crashed loading a new G8M which meant I also lost the really handy short cut I'd set up for Mesh Grabber too. No biggy. 

After a restart Mesh Grabber reset the deltas. I was a bit afraid it wouldn't after a restart but it did no problem then I reset the shape, the pose and G8M was good as new. Yeah!

• AbnerK said:

I just wanted to add a big thumbs up for this. I Have Blender so i put off buying this since, well, why have both? BUT this is so convenient and exporting everything that you need into Blender and setting important bit to Base Res or having to copy all the surfaces is tedious. I've used this so many times now. The only thing that's frustrating is when the PA opted for low poly and there just isn't enough mesh to move. Obviously not a fault of Mesh Grabber. 

Just an aside. I haven't zeroed any deltas yet with it. I just had Daz crash and when I tried to zero the deltas daz immediately quit. I hope that is a one off. I thought i was just going to have to reload a new G8M anyway until I checked here. Daz initially crashed loading a new G8M which meant I also lost the really handy short cut I'd set up for Mesh Grabber too. No biggy. 

If you manage to reproduce the crash some day I'd be quite interested in the exact steps that lead to the crash. I should fix that. Thank you!

• JhudJhud Posts: 30

Do you have any sample morphs available for use for people that are having a hard time getting the hang of using this product.  Example the spiral and plane sample. Some people watching the vdieo on YouTube are having difficulty getthing the hang of making it work.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,412
    edited January 2021

Jhud said:

Do you have any sample morphs available for use for people that are having a hard time getting the hang of using this product.  Example the spiral and plane sample. Some people watching the vdieo on YouTube are having difficulty getthing the hang of making it work.

Lots of info in this thread if you take the time to go through it. Spiral: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5368271/#Comment_5368271 Scroll down the page

Post edited by barbult on
  • I love this tool so much, I've been waiting for something like this for years.

• Is this possible to do with Mesh grabber? See attached image: I would like to bend each of the fork tines independently away from each other, but in a somewhat-smooth curve. It seems like I have two options:

1. On a single tine, select every single polygon I want to bend and reduce the size of the Falloff Radius to zero so it's ONLY manipulating the selected polygons. In this case, the problem is that wherever the gizmo is, I get a sharp angle bend there, not a smooth falloff curve.
    2. Select a single polygon and reduce the Falloff Radius size to just bigger than the minimum possible size. In this case, I bend the tine I want and at minimum, the tine or tines next to it as well, which I don't want.

Am I missing another possibility? Thanks!

Fork MeshGrabber.png
    759 x 1032 - 113K
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826
    edited January 2021

Use the geometry editor to hide the tines, apply meshgrabber at tip of tine, move/rotate, then unhide tines.

fork.jpg
    271 x 428 - 12K
    fork 2.jpg
    421 x 497 - 34K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincy said:

Use the geometry editor to hide the tines, apply meshgrabber at tip of tine, move/rotate, then unhide tines.

Oh man, that's awesome! It never occurred to me that would work. Thank you, you just made Mesh Grabber MUCH more useful to me!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

mikethe3dguy said:

RGcincy said:

Oh man, that's awesome! It never occurred to me that would work. Thank you, you just made Mesh Grabber MUCH more useful to me!

There are quite a few times when I use the Geometry Editor in conjucntion with MG.  For instance, I often make selections with the Geometry Editor, and then switch to MG to manipulate the selection.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,110

Me, too. Yep, I usually start with the Geometry Editor. I need to learn more about its usefullness, though.

• I am having all kinds of issues with keyboard control with the Mesh Grabber on Mac. I am probably missing something obvious, but few of the modifer keys work correctly. For example, moving the gizmo without changing selection uses the control key as a modifier. Problem is, control LMB on the mac always brings up the contextual menu. I have tried to change the default to shift or alt, but they are ignored.

How in the world do I move the gizmo without changing selection on a Mac laptop?

And for that matter, ctrl+ and ctrl- don't work either.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559

squished_squirrel_233bd8ace1 said:

I am having all kinds of issues with keyboard control with the Mesh Grabber on Mac. I am probably missing something obvious, but few of the modifer keys work correctly. For example, moving the gizmo without changing selection uses the control key as a modifier. Problem is, control LMB on the mac always brings up the contextual menu. I have tried to change the default to shift or alt, but they are ignored.

How in the world do I move the gizmo without changing selection on a Mac laptop?

I have not been aware of these problems so far, thanks for pointing them out. I don't have my mac ready right now so this is off the top of my head without checking.

Re moving the gizmo: there is a little gear icon in the Tool Settings pane when Mesh Grabber is active which brings up a configuration dialog (screenshot attached). You can change the key that Mesh Grabber uses for moving the gizmo only. Does this help?

Regarding the ctrl and +/-, this looks like a bug on the Mac. I'll have a look if I can fix that somehow but for now I don't have an easy solution. You can use Geometry Editor to change selections though; when you switch from Geometry Editor to Mesh Grabber in "facet selection" mode, Mesh Grabber copies the selection. So the "Grow" and "Shrink selection" tools in Geometry editor might do the trick for now.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

win_screenshot_1611144833.png
    437 x 381 - 13K
  • ManFriday said:

I am having all kinds of issues with keyboard control with the Mesh Grabber on Mac. I am probably missing something obvious, but few of the modifer keys work correctly. For example, moving the gizmo without changing selection uses the control key as a modifier. Problem is, control LMB on the mac always brings up the contextual menu. I have tried to change the default to shift or alt, but they are ignored.

I have not been aware of these problems so far, thanks for pointing them out. I don't have my mac ready right now so this is off the top of my head without checking.

Re moving the gizmo: there is a little gear icon in the Tool Settings pane when Mesh Grabber is active which brings up a configuration dialog (screenshot attached). You can change the key that Mesh Grabber uses for moving the gizmo only. Does this help?

Regarding the ctrl and +/-, this looks like a bug on the Mac. I'll have a look if I can fix that somehow but for now I don't have an easy solution. You can use Geometry Editor to change selections though; when you switch from Geometry Editor to Mesh Grabber in "facet selection" mode, Mesh Grabber copies the selection. So the "Grow" and "Shrink selection" tools in Geometry editor might do the trick for now.

Changing the modifer key to shift did work. I thought I had tried that, but apparently not.

Can I  suggest not to use ctrl for any defualt click modifer on the mac as control-click is hard coded on the mac to be RMB. Do the tools you use allow using the command key as a modifier? It may be a good replacent for the control key.

Thank you for your reply!

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559

ManFriday said:

Changing the modifer key to shift did work. I thought I had tried that, but apparently not.

Can I  suggest not to use ctrl for any defualt click modifer on the mac as control-click is hard coded on the mac to be RMB. Do the tools you use allow using the command key as a modifier? It may be a good replacent for the control key.

Thank you for your reply!

I was under the impression that the cross-platform coding library that Daz is using (Qt) would cover such issues but apparently not. I'll have a look!

ManFriday said:

AbnerK said:

If you manage to reproduce the crash some day I'd be quite interested in the exact steps that lead to the crash. I should fix that. Thank you!

I forgot to 'star' this thread. Every time I reset the mesh I'm worried it's going to crash but, thankfully it doesn't. It must have been a glitch. I'm really happy with it. I use it all the time. Thanks. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I had a problem with Ctrl plus and minus not working in MG at one point, and that is when I started doing a lot of my selections with the Geometry Editor, and then switching back to MG to manipulate the selection.

• SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 33
    edited January 2021

Thanks Sevrin, that sounds like a great work-around.

Post edited by Squirrel on
  • Hey everyone,

Ever since updating to DAZ Studio 4.15, the UNDO function does not work with Mesh Grabber anymore. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Its a shame because when trying to do some precise work, UNDO is a must with MG.

Im hopping Im not the only one with this bug and that we can hopefully shed some light to it.

ManFriday said:

I don't get what LMB is. What is the LMB?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,201

LMB = left mouse button

Oh! Thanks.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Any plans for further addons for this, and if so what?

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 582

Could there be a future addon that will expand/shrink selected polygons? 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,073
    edited February 2021

Hi, just want to ask for advice.

How can I pull the bottom front of the jacket with Mesh Grabber to fix that pokethrough on the thigh?

Are there any possibility to adjust influence area in Mesh Grabber?

BunnyBoo03pic05.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 288K
    Post edited by Artini on