[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,412
    inquire said:

@barbult: Right. I get that. But, again, where would such G8 Morphs be saved? Would they be just with morphs for that particular G8 figure, such as The Brute? Or, would they be under

Genesis 8/Male/Morphs/Vertuous/Glorious Morphs? (Screen shot included for example)

Based on my experience, I say they will be in Genesis 8/Male/Morphs/Vertuous/Glorious Morphs.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,110

@barbult: Ah, thank you. I'll try them out. I was hoping that would be the case. I tried to make them as generic for Genesis 8 Males as I possibly could. They are maily for the torso, not for the face.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,410
    barbult said:
    inquire said:

OK, thank you so much for answering, barbult. But, at present, Does Mesh Grabber have any morphs? I don't think so. If I do the morphs on a particular G8 male figure, will the morphs be saved along with that figure? I would want the morphs to be available to all the G8 male figures. I realize that this could be the case -- available to all -- even if the morphs were saved along with morphs for a particular G8 male. Is that what you're saying? The morphs would then be saved along with a particular G8 male figure, and they would also be available to all the G8 male figures? Or, are you saying something different from that?

Yes, the morphs you make on a specific G8 male will be available on all G8 males. BUT, they might not look "right", just like if you load Monique 8 and dial in Edie 8 Nose Small, it looks very strange.

Voldemonique.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2020
    inquire said:

@L'Adair:  OK, I think I see what you're saying here. Except that I won't at this time be making any morphs for a product, such as a hair product. I've made a few morphs on a G8 Male figure. So, where would those morphs be saved? See, that's the question I have above for barbult.

Give me a minute or two, and I'll come up with a path for you. (I have to go look up morphs I've already done…)

ETA: It took longer than I was expecting, but here is a real url from my computer, modifed as the previous one was:

• [path]\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\inquire\Male Test Morphs

or using your example vendor and product name:

• [path]\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\Vertuous\Glorious Morphs

I hope this helps.

Post edited by L'Adair on

@L'Adair: Oh, it helps completely! That's what I was wondering about and hoping for. That means, if I later decide the morphs I've done are not what I really want, I can delete any of them. They should be easily accessible. Thanks a million and, MORE! I really appreciate your doing this. And, by the way, I don't think you've done this just for me. I think others who want to get started with doing such morphs will be glad to know that if the morphs are done for a figure, they should be easy to access.

As much as I'm loving the product, I'm also intrigued by some of the other possibilities ManFriday may be contemplating, judging from his comments at the end of the pdf manual. (Screen shot included.)

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.26.00 PM.png
    831 x 402 - 46K
  • UthgardUthgard Posts: 847

Smoothing is the big one for me. A quick way to fix the awful crinkles in clothing and hair when they are autofitted or saddled with auto-generated morph-following? Yes, please.

2 Questions about morphing:

(1) If I make a long tube morph, and I find too much of an object it's attached to is affected, is there a way to freeze part of the object so that it is excluded from the pulling to make a tube?

(2) If I wish to reduce the size of the opening of a tube, on one end, or even to close one end of the tube, is there a way to do this with Mesh Grabber, or maybe with the Geometry Editor?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

So I see there's a Mac version now, great!! Anyone knows if it works in DS 4.9?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The Windows version works in 4.8.

@Sven Dullah: I'm using the Mac version in DS 4.12.1.118. Have not tried it in 4.14.x. I'm running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7. Have not yet tried Big Sur. So, it works in Catalina 10.15.7 and in DS 4.12.1.118. Don't know about  DS 4.9. Hope this helps. We Mac users have to stick together. wink

• So I see there's a Mac version now, great!! Anyone knows if it works in DS 4.9?

I have no way to test that, unfortunately. It *should* work since Daz's software tools that I'm using to make plugins haven't really changed since then, but it's really untested, and I can't vouch for it.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559
    edited November 2020
    inquire said:

@Sven Dullah: I'm using the Mac version in DS 4.12.1.118. Have not tried it in 4.14.x. I'm running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7. Have not yet tried Big Sur. So, it works in Catalina 10.15.7 and in DS 4.12.1.118. Don't know about  DS 4.9. Hope this helps. We Mac users have to stick together. wink

I haven't tested it myself but Daz themselves are saying that Daz Studio altogether does not run on Big Sur. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/449316/daz-studio-4-14-pro-general-release (initial post under "Known issues").

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • inquire said:

As much as I'm loving the product, I'm also intrigued by some of the other possibilities ManFriday may be contemplating, judging from his comments at the end of the pdf manual. (Screen shot included.)

@ManFriday, are you going to have a vote for the next module? smiley

I vote for Smoothing and/or Push/Pull.

Actually all of them would be cool, but those two seem like they would help me the most!

inquire said:

Actually all of them would be cool, but those two seem like they would help me the most!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Push/Pull." With polys, edges, or vertices selected, I can use the widget to move the mesh forward or back, left or right, up or down, and any combination of those transforms. (And with the Rotations Add-On, I can rotate those as well.)

Does "Push/Pull" have a specific meaning from another software? (I'm only familar with DS.) If so, that would explain my confusion.

I'd love to Smoothing next, along with, (together or shortly thereafter,) the ability to Scale.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Wasn't there a scaling function back in beta?  Whatever happened to that?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,412
    Sevrin said:

I don't remember a scaling function being implemented in Mesh Grabber betas.

• Sorry @L'Adair. Push/Pull brush. Scale would be great too!
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Tks @Fixmypcmike @Inquire and @ManFriday, will grab it!

ManFriday said:
    inquire said:

I haven't tested it myself but Daz themselves are saying that Daz Studio altogether does not run on Big Sur. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/449316/daz-studio-4-14-pro-general-release (initial post under "Known issues").

Well, then, it probably does not run in Big Sur. Thanks for that note. Yes, I think I need to hold off on Big Sur. It's just a new-born babe at this moment.

inquire said:

(1) If I make a long tube morph, and I find too much of an object it's attached to is affected, is there a way to freeze part of the object so that it is excluded from the pulling to make a tube?

(2) If I wish to reduce the size of the opening of a tube, on one end, or even to close one end of the tube, is there a way to do this with Mesh Grabber, or maybe with the Geometry Editor?

By the way, no one has responded to these two questions. Does anyone know? If these things are not possible, then this is what I would like at some future point in the development of Mesh Grabber. (I'm not suggesting that I'm in the least disappointed; just adding on to the wish list.)

inquire said:
    inquire said:

By the way, no one has responded to these two questions. Does anyone know? If these things are not possible, then this is what I would like at some future point in the development of Mesh Grabber. (I'm not suggesting that I'm in the least disappointed; just adding on to the wish list.)

Mesh Grabber cannot add to the existing mesh. I'm trying to visualize how you would add a long tube using MG, and it seems to me it could be done, but would really stretch the polys. Regardless, the best way to reduce the effect on surrounding mesh is to hide that mesh with the Geometry Editor. Some effect is inevitable, and with a tube, that's going to mean stretching.

The Geometry Editor doesn't actually move polys, (edges, or vertices, either,) but the dFormers can. You can use a dForm to scale mesh. To get the best control over the dForm, you'll need to set Influence to Weight Map in the parameters for the dForm field. Then you use the Geometry Editor and the Weight Map Node Editor to remove all influence from the weight map, then paint influence where you need it, smoothing, etc. With the tip of your tube red in the Weight Map, gradually changing to blue, you can use the Transform > Scale parameters of the dFormer to adjust the scale.

To do the same thing with Mesh Grabber at this time would require a lot of trial and error, using translate and rotate, and a lot of small incremental changes on all sides.

This would be a nice feature to add to Mesh Grabber, but until then, dForms will get the job done.

OK. I guess you really know your stuff.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 559
    edited November 2020
    Sevrin said:

I never wrote one so I doubt it. :-D Scaling is still on the list of things but I got distracted with a lot of non-3D stuff lately so it won't come out very soon I'm afraid.

Post edited by ManFriday on
    edited November 2020
    inquire said:

OK. I guess you really know your stuff.

Thank you. I suspect I really know my stuff for about 10% of what Daz Studio is capable of doing. Maybe 20%. Beyond that, I'm as clueless as any newbie who downloaded and installed the program the day before!
    laugh

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • inquire said:

I'll admit I didn't fully understand the questions at first...

If I understand you correctly, 1) is about something that's normally called "masking". Right now the Mesh Grabber will influcence all parts of the selected geometry that are within the influence sphere, and it takes some hoops with hiding vertices in Geometry Editor and switching back to Mesh Grabber to stop it from affecting those vertices. With masking one could have something like a soft selection, and it would make that a lot easier. I'm currently playing some code that might lead to that but it's not really in a releaseable state yet. I'm aware of the deficiencies though and would like to see something better myself.

2) was already answered, I guess, and scaling is still on the list too.

Thank you for posting, and sorry for the late reply. :-)

• inquire said:

I'm really glad people care about Mesh Grabber. The problem with a vote though is that voting alone doesn't get the code written :-)

ManFriday said:
    inquire said:

I'm really glad people care about Mesh Grabber. The problem with a vote though is that voting alone doesn't get the code written :-)

Nonsense!  I vote for scaling!

One thing I would like to see, as an add-on, or a separate product (Thickifier!), would be a tool that would turn the selected polygons on the edge of a garment and let you reduce their width lengthwise and then turn them inside, i.e., opposite the normal by the number of degrees specified in an interface.  This would be to give an edge simulating thickness to garments, while using the original UV.  Peache's garments, along with a few others, stand out because they already have such an edge.  I'm sure it's fiddly work to do manually, so few PAs bother.  I think that a tool that would simplify this procedure within Daz Studio would likely be used by end users on existing garments and PAs in their workflow to avoid especially garments, especially supposedly thick, knitted ones and outerwear, looking paper-thin when viewed from the wrong angle.

I've tried doing this, without the scaling, with Mesh Grabber, and it didn't work.

• thelonelyjoker14thelonelyjoker14 Posts: 10
    edited November 2020

Great tool. Unfortunately, it is conflicted with other stuffs from renderotica such as breastacular... I think the geoshell problem.

Post edited by thelonelyjoker14 on