Task Manager for those not sure..

priority.png
    992 x 722 - 452K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks picture tells a thousand pixels!~

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,332
    head wax said:

thanks picture tells a thousand pixels!~

Will have to use it next time I'm doing a large project and see what a difference it makes.

Hopefully will be able to give this thread some more love next week !!!!

great news :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

used the 38 I just modelled..

After the Donuts

ha ha crackup - that looks lethal - and a cone of silence too 

Stezza said:

used the 38 I just modelled..

After the Donuts

ah-ha - that Max - excellent !!!!

edited September 2018

Experimenting with ToonPro and GMIC

AlienCity 1b.png
    2400 x 1800 - 1M
    AlienCity 1d.png
    2400 x 1800 - 2M
    AlienCity 2c.png
    2400 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Bunyip02 said:

Experimenting with ToonPro and GMIC

this one is my favourite - very illustrative - it's clear and concise and at the same time looks hand drawn

+1 on that.. 

Thanks HeadWax & Stezza, back to the current Challenge then I shall return to this thread - got a few more ideas to work on....

edited September 2018

Reprobus

Reprobus.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Stezza said:

Reprobus

Nice render and an interesting character, was that render done with ToonPro ?

• Wow Stezza, an artist and a scholar!  A great render, and I learned some new things looking him up.yes

Bunyip, you are killing it as well.  Nice to see this thread coming back to life.

Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

Nice render and an interesting character, was that render done with ToonPro ?

thanks guys, I wondered who would be the first to venture off and look it up @UnifiedBrain smiley

yep @Bunyip02 .. I started off by changing all the textures in the scene to default grey colour.. all except the skin and water then rendered using toon Pro

then rendered out the normal scene to get the earth texture happening in postwork.. also added the yellow glow in post.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Thanks UB & Selina. Thanks for the info on your render Stezza ( I had a sticky-beak about your very interesting character on the web), still expermenting with the DCG plugins - heaps to learn and try !!!

not wrong @Bunyip02

the hard part is trying to retain all the overload!

which for me isn't quite working .. too much to remember lol

Stezza said:

not wrong @Bunyip02

the hard part is trying to retain all the overload!

which for me isn't quite working .. too much to remember lol

That's why they invented Copy and Paste :) I spent all day yesterday doing an essay opn Magical Realism that I had to condence into 360 words - ha hahahahah - now brain full

PS nice render, love the trees and the Religious Lesson :)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited September 2018

It's been forever since I posted anything, was experimenting with creating an anime/toon look using a combination of Toon Pro and Yatoon.  I never watched anime in my life til lately, now I'm really enjoying a whole new artform that I never appreciated before.  A lot of it is meant to appeal to oversexed teenage boys lol, but there's actually some really great stuff out there too (Hunter X Hunter, for example is like the Game of Thrones of anime shows, just incredible plot detail you wouldn't expect from what's basically a cartoon...)

This is a Genesis1 that I did some morphing and shaping (via parameter dials, not actual sculpting) to make look a bit more like the Luca anime boy that's in the daz store for Gen8, then loosely following the tips in this (frankly incredible) tutorial: https://www.williamrivera3d.com/blog/view/899/cell-shaded-anime-3dcg-with-daz-studios-carrara ; and altering to suit, came up with a style I quite like.

The tutorial is an older one and the current of Yatoon has a different layout, but I was able to mostly parse it out.  Also Toon Pro doesn't play nice with Genesis1 (or any Genesis, I think), and if you try to modify individual material zones in your genesis (for example, to make it so that it doesn't outline the eyelashes) it will hang Carrara for a long time and then either crash Carrara or give the 'error has occured' and nothing will happen (and Carrara will crash shortly thereafter).  One workaround would be to do 2 different renders, a base render using the realistic render engine and Yatoon shading, and then go into the Genesis1 mesh and delete the eyelash mesh and render an outline-only render in Toon Pro, then combine the 2 renders in post.  That could work great, but I'm lazy, so found a different way, to make the eyelashes work for me.

Age of Armor has a great little product for Studio called Subsurface Toon Shaders:  https://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-toon-shaders

I don't use Studio for anything but setup, so I didn't really care about the shaders (although it gave me lots of ideas about how to do better SSS shaders in Carrara, and quite by accident I think I've stumbled upon the most realistic settings yet I've encountered for human skin SSS in Carrara, which is completely ironic since that's not even what I was going for, instead I was trying to make a toon/anime SSS), but that product comes with lots of cool extras, like a separate conforming eyebrows prop that can go on any Genesis, and which has morphing eyebrows (very useful! much better than the one that comes with Hiro 5), and most importantly comes with several new morphs for your existing eyelashes on Genesis 1.

So the trick is simply not to use any transparency at all on the eyelash, but instead to install AoA's morphs and then use the parameter dials to shrink back the eyelashes so they become closer to an 'eyeliner' pencil effect (for girls there are various morphs to make the eyelash bigger and more feminine too, all in anime style), and problem is now solved, Toon Pro plays happily with the Character as it is now.

Also I found that the best hairs for toon/anime characters are ones that don't use transparency and already look toony.  3d Universe has a ton of them.  Basically it seems that Toon Pro doesn't play well with transparencies (meaning that it will work fine, but it outlines whatever the real mesh of the hair is, which can look very weird with a hairstyle that relies on tranparencies).  A lot of the older hairstyles that don't rely on alphamaps and transparencies work great for the toony look.  Also I'm guessing a lot of the newer fibermesh hairs also might work well (haven't experimented enough yet to say).

Also learned it's important not to use the Yatoon lighting model on every aspect of every shader, in fact there are some that work better without.  Pretty much every eye shader works better just with regular realistic Carrara lighting model shaders, though both the sclera and the iris have the same color in the glow channel as in the diffuse channel (have to make those toon eyes stand out or they can get lost in the mix), AoA's product has a lot of great eye maps that are toon/anime style, along with some toony reflections (throw the reflection in the glow channel and it's good to go).

For the other Yatoon shaders, I experimented a bit and ended up putting the exact same color for the shadow as I did for the diffuse color.  In theory that would mean there would be no shadows, but in reality you can still see shadowing, it's just nice and light.  To my eyes too much contrast can make it more obvious you're looking at a 3d render, and while that's apparent for anyone who looks at it, I'm aiming at the first impression to be that it's anime. 

I'm jotting these notes down for myself as much as anyone else, lol.  I tend to forget how I did something and have to re-learn it all over again when I try a 2nd time, so I thought I would post it here in a thread where it make sense and fits into the theme, that way I can look it up again later if I need to.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks for the detailed post, Jonstark.  Great to see you in the forums again.  yesyes

Images have a wonderful anime look.

Yes, various forms of toon renders generally do not play well with tansparencies or dynamic hair.  Some of the GMIC filters that you can access through Phileno's plugin are an exception because they are post effect.  One suggestion for anime hair is to create the style you like using your own amazing techniques for dynamic hair, then convert to a vertex mesh using another one of Philemo's plugins.  However, be aware that the line effect will overwhelm a hair style if the vertex mesh display percentage is too high when converted.

Silly aside - in my view you got one thing wrong.  The series anime are not for oversexed teenage boys.  They are for undersexed teenage boys (pretty much all of them).  wink

Welcome back Jonstark !!!!

• So many great works in this thread.

I don't know if my WIP belongs here.  I came across a photo I took years ago and had filtered in fotosketcher.  It's so long ago I don't remember which filter effect I used - probably oil painting.

Anyway, I textured a cylinder with the picture and placed a couple of figures inside.

I'm attaching the original picture from the woods nearby and a couple of attempts at making a scene with it rendered in Carrara.  What I've done breaks the rule of composition where a main object shouldn't be dead centre but it's only a WIP complete with badly-fitted clothing.  For some reason which I haven't taxed my brain with, the image inside the cylinder has reversed itself.

Original pic.jpg
    619 x 460 - 81K
    Doc11.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 583K
    Screenshot 2018-09-11 01.48.58.jpg
    1359 x 957 - 107K

So many great works in this thread.

I don't know if my WIP belongs here.  I came across a photo I took years ago and had filtered in fotosketcher.  It's so long ago I don't remember which filter effect I used - probably oil painting.

Anyway, I textured a cylinder with the picture and placed a couple of figures inside.

I'm attaching the original picture from the woods nearby and a couple of attempts at making a scene with it rendered in Carrara.  What I've done breaks the rule of composition where a main object shouldn't be dead centre but it's only a WIP complete with badly-fitted clothing.  For some reason which I haven't taxed my brain with, the image inside the cylinder has reversed itself.

Feel free to join in - WIPs are also welcome especially if they include a mini-tutorial on how the effect was achieved - lots of different ways of doing things.

I like this one most.

• Thanks, Bunyip02, I'm glad you like it.  Most of my renders arise from randomly seeing what I can come up with and I seldom get past the WIP level.  If I get a chance, I'll try to improve this with a better-fitting foreground.

@JohnStark that's an equisite style you have produced. And thank you for the detailed explantion - very kind. Really looking forward to seeing more of your work,

So many great works in this thread.

Hey Marcus Severus, yes that certainly belongs here. That one Bunyip 02 picked out just looks like a painting! The composition is fine actually - the best ones are the ones that break the rules - as yours perhaps does - they give us a delightful suprise because they make the unexpected beautiful. I think the implied diagonals, the dominance of the figure on the left and the way the heads are placed  around the third mark (a third up the compostion)  are part of the reason it works so well. 

• Anyway, I textured a cylinder with the picture and placed a couple of figures inside.

Awesome and clever, Marcus!  Borderline Frazetta.

• @ Head Wax and UnifiedBrain:  Thanks very much for commenting and I'm glad you like it.  Yes, Head Wax, I think sometimes the rules can be overlooked if the various elements in a picture come together in a way that permits it.  The figure placement was purely a happy accident.  I imported the first, which came in at the centre and moved it aside to import the next and there they stayed!  If you as a true artist approve, that's good enough for me!

UnifiedBrain, your more than generous comment left me obliged to put some further work in.  I hope you see some improvements!

I put in bits and pieces of scenery from various items in my libraries and made some of the moss slightly transparent to bridge the foreground items and the background.

After rendering, I cropped it by taking a screenshot in Movavi software which allowed me to frame the part I wanted.  For some reason the screenshot's colours seem to deepen but I think it is helpful in this instance.

Attached are: the latest render, the cropped final image and the final image put through a watercolour filter in fotosketcher.

Thanks again. 

Doc32.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 715K
    NewFinal.jpg
    1190 x 836 - 110K
    NewFinal_FotoSketcherWatercolour2.jpg
    1190 x 836 - 328K
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Your base image is so strong in terms of composition and story/content that each of your style variants stands strongly - lending distinct but valuable interpretations.

I probably like the last (watercolor) the best, but also see an amazing Dutch masters flavor in the crisper edged second-to-last (NewFinal.jpg) that I could easily see fitting right in a period-based show in a DC or NYC museum.

bravo.

--ms

• Wow, Mindsong, you too are more than generous but many thanks - I'm very pleased that you like it.

Just before the final image I thought I had finished but realised that two of the mushrooms needed moving out of alignment with the central figure.  Before making that change, I put the image through fotosketcher filters.  This one is the Bilateral filter:

Final_FotoSketcherBilateralFilter.jpg
    1219 x 797 - 205K
This discussion has been closed.