July 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Portrait Rendering” – WIP Thread

Comments

• ewcarman said:

1. Changed her eyes so they are looking at the rose. It was suggested that they may be a little crossed, but they were aligned to factory specs. So I crossed them a bit and that seems to have helped.

Nice image. And it is progressing very well. I'm not sure if it was the direction of the eyes as maybe their expressiveness. Forgive my possible ignorance, as I am by no means an artist, but they seem a little dead to me. Kind of dollish. I think the direction of the eyes is fine. I feel like she needs some brow movement or some sort of other eye area pose change. Something subtle maybe, but something. Again, I am far from knowledgeable, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. Or just tell me to shut up and mind my business. LOL
  • veeters2002veeters2002 Posts: 51
    edited July 2016

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Here are the adjustments I've made thus far...

1) Toned down the back spotlight on the brick wall behind her. It was a little washed out looking.

2) Added a little soft lighting to the right (her right) of her face to soften the shadows a bit.

3) The flowers on her head piece were way too bright and were distracting people from viewing her face. I still wanted these white, just not as bright. Being that I needed to add more light to the same side of her face, this was a little challenging. Ended up leaving it as is in the render but hand brushed a little gray tone into them in Gimp.

4) Added the rim light as two people suggested. Definitely helps make her pop from the background.

5) Fiddled with the DOF, which I was able to get to work OK but it kind of made it hard to tell that there were stairs behind her, which I wanted to preserve. So, instead I added a little gaussian blur to that area and adjusted the light a little.

All in all, the changes are pretty subtle but definitely seem to have made a BIG impact. Thanks to all that made suggestions. Definitely open to more!

Before and After below...

BEFORE

AFTER

Melinda2.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by veeters2002 on
  • smerfsmerf Posts: 3

Just a basic portrait, hope you like it. smiley

0003.jpg
    600 x 800 - 542K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    SkpFX said:

Well it was 5hr 10min for a 1024x768 render. Lots of tweaking still to do. I do know it's not "really" a portrait, but I also know I'm not "really" going to win anyway. :)

According to the rules that were added to the top of the first page, this definitely fits with the definition of a portrait.  I fail to see why you wouldn't have a chance to win as I think you've done a great job with it.  If I were to suggest anything, perhaps trying a little DOF to blur the background a little.  Play with it and see if you like how it looks.  I think your lighting and pose are great.  I love the whole feel to the image.

Toyen said:

I decided to try something with a bit more sophisticated expression.

I always love your stuff, Toyen.  I think the expression is good.  Your lighting seems a bit off for you and I'm not quite sure what's missing.  It's one of those things I can sort of feel when I look at an image, but I'll be darned if I can explain it.  Other than that slight feeling of the lighting being off, I like it.

zax797 said:

Thank You tubbyfalls1. This is the annoyed portrait with the hand in  the camera edit. ​

I did bump my render settings down to 2.5 so it was a little quicker, but lacked quality. at this stage i think it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure why it looks like her finger is behind her hair when the hand is so far away from her face, but it does.  You might try adjusting the pose a little and have the girl turned a little bit like she's starting to walk away.  For the annoyed look you are going for, I'm not sure she should be looking into the camera like that.  It might be more effective if the head was turned away from the camera slightly.  We still want to see her face, though.  Keep in mind that anything I say are just suggestions.  I'm still learning, too.

As for render settings, I'm with Evilded777 on this one.  I rarely go up past 2 for render quality unless there are lots of fireflies in rather nasty areas.  I will set the max samples in the outer limits depending on the scene.  I've had some where I absolutely needed to go up above 30,000 iterations.  Make sure to set the max time to zero.  The default stops after 2 hours whether the image is done or not. On rare occassions, I've had the quality set as high as 4, but I honestly have a hard time telling the difference in quality between 2 and 4 unless I have some major issue in my images.  Sometimes, you might also need to up the convergence percentage to 99% so it doesn't stop too early.

isidorn said:

I've adjusted the pose to not have any hands going into the body or the clothes and moved him up to stand on the floor instead of in it. So I think the pose is set now. Now to decide on background and lighting.

So, I love the changes made to the pose. Nice improvements.  :)  The lighting definitely needs work, but you already know that.  Now, don't kill me, but I think if you could combine the lighting in the fist image in the bottom half of the render with the lighting of the top half of the second image and then add in a rim or hair light, you might be on to something!  :)  I know you love that lighting setup you have, but maybe you could step out of your box and experiment a little more?  I really love your image and I want to see you do the very best I know you can do with it.  Suddenly glad there's an ocean between us! ;)  

ewcarman said:

I finally managed to make some of the corrections that were suggested. I've:

1. Changed her eyes so they are looking at the rose. It was suggested that they may be a little crossed, but they were aligned to factory specs. So I crossed them a bit and that seems to have helped.

2. I moved the rose closer to her nose.

3. Played with the glossiness on her skin and knocked it down a bit.

4. I removed some of the artificial reflections from her eyes - the bright white reflections just didn't look right to me.

Also, Wonderland made a general suggestion that many of the images should be zoomed in. So I tried a cropped version to see what it looks like. I think it looks pretty good. I may need to add to the height so you can tell she's holding the sword and not that someone is holding it to her throat. Just an interesting thought.

I like the image.  I think the background looks nice and I like the pose.  I'm not crazy about such a close crop on the image, but that's a personal preference for me.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Here are the adjustments I've made thus far...

1) Toned down the back spotlight on the brick wall behind her. It was a little washed out looking.

2) Added a little soft lighting to the right (her right) of her face to soften the shadows a bit.

3) The flowers on her head piece were way too bright and were distracting people from viewing her face. I still wanted these white, just not as bright. Being that I needed to add more light to the same side of her face, this was a little challenging. Ended up leaving it as is in the render but hand brushed a little gray tone into them in Gimp.

4) Added the rim light as two people suggested. Definitely helps make her pop from the background.

5) Fiddled with the DOF, which I was able to get to work OK but it kind of made it hard to tell that there were stairs behind her, which I wanted to preserve. So, instead I added a little gaussian blur to that area and adjusted the light a little.

All in all, the changes are pretty subtle but definitely seem to have made a BIG impact. Thanks to all that made suggestions. Definitely open to more!

Before and After below..

That's a really stunning image and I think you did a great job with it.

• Been tweaking the lighting all day. Need to stop before I get sick this image. Open to suggestions though (if only to obsess over something other than the lighting).

night is the notion.png
    700 x 910 - 686K
  • SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited July 2016

OK, I've cast another character into the uncanny abyss, my work here is done.

What I've learned...
    1. I had never really used DS for traditional rendering before. I've always just rendered with the headlight, or exported to Blender.
    2. I got Haley's 3Delight hair material figured out.
    3. I figured out how to add a static background to a camera for composing a render that will be composited onto another image.
    4. I've played with some new GIMP filters.
    5. I've further convinced myself that I will never have the finese to put a pleasant smile on a 3d character. (My mouse is too fat!)

That said, I'm going to post this to the entries thread. If I read the rules correctly I get two entries, and I've still got most of the month left. I'm thinking about a low light, street scene, with angry people. Angry is much easier to pose.

5try.jpg
    1032 x 691 - 232K
    Post edited by SkpFX on
  • SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited July 2016

According to the rules that were added to the top of the first page, this definitely fits with the definition of a portrait...

Thank you for the encouraging words Knittingmommy. I did turn her to face the camera. In my mind running through the amusement park isn't a portrait, it's an action adventure. :)

Post edited by SkpFX on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218
    edited July 2016
    When posting your image in the entries thread, please remember rule 6, and include the title and software used.
    Post edited by barbult on
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

It's amazing how big a difference can be made with subtle changes. The rim light really works here. I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point, so I'll just sit back and enjoy your image for a while.

edited July 2016
    ewcarman said:

Nice image. And it is progressing very well. I'm not sure if it was the direction of the eyes as maybe their expressiveness. Forgive my possible ignorance, as I am by no means an artist, but they seem a little dead to me. Kind of dollish. I think the direction of the eyes is fine. I feel like she needs some brow movement or some sort of other eye area pose change. Something subtle maybe, but something. Again, I am far from knowledgeable, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. Or just tell me to shut up and mind my business. LOL

ewcarman said:

4. I removed some of the artificial reflections from her eyes - the bright white reflections just didn't look right to me.

Also, Wonderland made a general suggestion that many of the images should be zoomed in. So I tried a cropped version to see what it looks like. I think it looks pretty good. I may need to add to the height so you can tell she's holding the sword and not that someone is holding it to her throat. Just an interesting thought.

I like the image.  I think the background looks nice and I like the pose.  I'm not crazy about such a close crop on the image, but that's a personal preference for me.

@veeters2002 - You have a good point about the eyes. It seems most of the issues I have with this image do come back to the eyes. I'm going to have to take a closer look and do some experiments. Maybe I can get her smile into her eyes - just a tad... Now to find the hours in the day...  Thank you.

@knittingmommy - You're right about the closeup. That crop is definitely too close. I think I will try to bring the camera in just a bit. Thank you.

Post edited by ewcarman on

Been tweaking the lighting all day. Need to stop before I get sick this image. Open to suggestions though (if only to obsess over something other than the lighting).

While looking at the image, my eye is drawn to the lower left corner. There appears to be a body part emanating from her chest that I don't believe is the part we traditionally think of. Seems to be more like an arm or something that is maybe crossed over her chest? Perhaps a subtle pose or camera change can clear up the mystery. It's also possible I need to fetch my glasses.

At least it's something other than lights to look at! smiley

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited July 2016

Boy Wonder

I won't be entering, just here for the conversation, the back and forth, the sharing of ideas.  Thanks for the assists in making an image that I am proud of and that pushed me.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • zax797zax797 Posts: 15

ok same pose different collors and adjustment to lighting, which btw is the aurous iray set from the mega egyptian bundle. stopped it about 901 iterations, only about 20% at a 1.5 render setting with spaced out updates.

annoyed color and light fix v1.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M

Boy Wonder

I won't be entering, just here for the conversation, the back and forth, the sharing of ideas.  Thanks for the assists in making an image that I am proud of and that pushed me.

You did some great work on this. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Before and After below...

BEFORE

AFTER

Big difference! 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thanks all for your help/feedback so far! This Iray version of a fire mage has the following updates.

Different background
    Beautiful Skin for G2M by SickleYield
    Jepe's ElementZ special effects
    Head morphs for cornea bulge
    Added arm pose
    Adjusted spotlights

WarMagePortrait4b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 779K
    dawnblade said:

Thanks all for your help/feedback so far! This Iray version of a fire mage has the following updates.

Different background
    Added arm pose
    Adjusted spotlights

Its definitely looking more interesting!  I think you might want to change the framing.  Move him to the right (my right) and show all of the the flames (or not, entirely up to you on that point) and crop it so there isn't so much blank space to the right.  Unless you are adding something on that side in which case, totally ignore all of that lol.

zax797 said:

ok same pose different collors and adjustment to lighting, which btw is the aurous iray set from the mega egyptian bundle. stopped it about 901 iterations, only about 20% at a 1.5 render setting with spaced out updates.

I like the depth of field on this.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Its definitely looking more interesting!  I think you might want to change the framing.  Move him to the right (my right) and show all of the the flames (or not, entirely up to you on that point) and crop it so there isn't so much blank space to the right.  Unless you are adding something on that side in which case, totally ignore all of that lol.

Thanks Ice Dragon! An hour into the render and I thought the same thing, what am I going to do with all that other space? No idea at this point. LOL. I might give him a staff or other weapon, or add more fire.

I like your suggestion of moving him over and showing all the flames though. I think I'll try that first!

• tcmeehantcmeehan Posts: 20
    edited July 2016

Hi everyone! I finally got a chance to put a WIP together.  My computer's been in the shop getting fixed but I have been keeping up with the thread on my phone.  There are some really good portraits this month!  The judges have their work cut out for them.  I wanted to try to work some DOF field into my render but was having a hard time coming up with a hand gesture that looked natural.  Hands are so difficult!  Any suggestions?

Also, for a second portrait I am thinking of doing a render inspired by one of the old master oil painters like Gustav Klimt or Rembrandt.  The Klimt would require making a lot of patterns in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop and applying them to clothes and background.  Rembrandt would probably mean raiding the store for just the right props and wardrobe.

PortraitOne.jpg
    689 x 652 - 333K
    Post edited by tcmeehan on
  • Here's version g. I tried to make use of DOF to blur the background some.

july2016g.jpg
    533 x 864 - 307K

Zoomed the camera in a little bit - not nearly as close as the last crop I did. Also continued playing with the eyes and subtle face morphs. Still second guessing myself on the eyes. Got to learn to stop doing that.

Eden Rose.jpg
    1875 x 1500 - 616K
    ewcarman said:

The uncropped version here is my favorite. I like it even better than the latest one that was cropped less. The uncropped version tells the full story. Even the minimal crop cut off some of the sword. I even find here eyes here to be more pleasing to me.

Here's version g. I tried to make use of DOF to blur the background some.

I think it looks pretty good. I like the way the flames and lights are reflecting off of his clothing and highlighting some areas. I can't see the irises and pupils of his eyes. They seem to be rolled back into the top of his head. Or are they some kind of robotic/alien eyes?

tcmeehan said:

Hi everyone! I finally got a chance to put a WIP together.  My computer's been in the shop getting fixed but I have been keeping up with the thread on my phone.  There are some really good portraits this month!  The judges have their work cut out for them.  I wanted to try to work some DOF field into my render but was having a hard time coming up with a hand gesture that looked natural.  Hands are so difficult!  Any suggestions?

Also, for a second portrait I am thinking of doing a render inspired by one of the old master oil painters like Gustav Klimt or Rembrandt.  The Klimt would require making a lot of patterns in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop and applying them to clothes and background.  Rembrandt would probably mean raiding the store for just the right props and wardrobe.

I think that is a fantastic start! The hair and skin and eyes are very well rendered, in my opinion. The hand gesture looks OK to me, as though she is reaching for something. The eyes seem very well focused on the camera.

Some suggestions: This composition seems close to the rule of thirds placement, but just a little off. I think that adjusting it slightly to position one of her eyes on one of the thirds intersections might make it feel a bit more balanced and strengthen the already nice composition. The white button (?) at the bottom of the picture is a little distracting. Maybe you could make it darker to blend in, or compose the picture to avoid it. I think her expression is a little bland. I get a hint of something, but I'm not sure what emotion she is portraying.

I look forward to your next old masters render, too. That sounds like it will also be interesting.

barbult said:
    ewcarman said:

The uncropped version here is my favorite. I like it even better than the latest one that was cropped less. The uncropped version tells the full story. Even the minimal crop cut off some of the sword. I even find here eyes here to be more pleasing to me.

Thank you! I did the latest with a second camera - so I'll try again with the first camera and see. 

dawnblade said:

Different background
    Added arm pose
    Adjusted spotlights

I do see the big improvements in his eyes. The skin and hair look good, too.

Some ideas:

1. You could tighten up the composition by eliminating some of the blank space on the  right side of the image.
    2. I think his expression could be enhanced. What emotion is he trying to convey?
    3. The special effects sparks are a distraction to me and pull my focus away from the character. (I seem to mention distraction a lot in this thread. That must be a pet peeve of mine or something. indecision ) Perhaps a more dynamic pose that looked like he was throwing the spark ball at the person behind the camera would change my opinion - I'm not sure.
    zax797 said:

I like the lighting and DOF. I think it portrays "get that camera out of my face!". The skin, hair and clothing look good. I would eliminate that partial person on the right side of the image and reframe it so that her right arm is not cut off at the edge. Some of her hair seems to be coming through her fingers. I'm not sure how that occurred. Is it a result of the DOF?

edited July 2016

Boy Wonder

@evilded777, amazing sharpness and contrast on this one! Is it a self portrait?

edited July 2016
    SkpFX said:

OK, I've cast another character into the uncanny abyss, my work here is done.

What I've learned...
    1. I had never really used DS for traditional rendering before. I've always just rendered with the headlight, or exported to Blender.
    2. I got Haley's 3Delight hair material figured out.
    3. I figured out how to add a static background to a camera for composing a render that will be composited onto another image.
    4. I've played with some new GIMP filters.
    5. I've further convinced myself that I will never have the finese to put a pleasant smile on a 3d character. (My mouse is too fat!)

That said, I'm going to post this to the entries thread. If I read the rules correctly I get two entries, and I've still got most of the month left. I'm thinking about a low light, street scene, with angry people. Angry is much easier to pose.

It sounds like you learned a lot! That's the point of this whole new user contest. You have shown off her personality. You read the rules correctly; you can enter two images in the Entries thread. I look forward to your next one, too.