July 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Portrait Rendering” – WIP Thread

Comments

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    edited July 2016

Ok, I think I have it where I like it now. Brightened up the eye and did a lot of postwork on the hair. Forgot which hair I used, but it looks terrible in close-ups... Now to think of a title...

This looks great! I love the grainy look!

How did you straighten out the hair, did you just have to fix it all in postwork, or is there some trick to get rid of those jaggies, cause if so, I would like to know.

Ok... I'm sure I'm sounding super critical tonight... and I thought this would be my positive post... but my wife just walked by while I was typing this out, saw the shoulder and arm coming out of the image and thought I was looking at... adult images...

I did the hair by hand in Photoshop. Some cloning, some individual strand painting and some use of Photoshop "hair" brush painting. There are several tutorials on YouTube for hair painting.  Haha, that's why I kept the shoulder in and lit, to add a sense of sexiness without actually showing anything. Same thing for the face and expression. I usually try to have a sense of sexiness in all my adult characters. I bet it was the expression, not the shoulder that actually caught your wife's attention LOL. I'm a newbie to DS, just started in March, but have had years of practice in Poser playing with expressions and it's actually my favorite thing to do. 

But, I wasn't going for "adult", more like an edgy sexy model look. Where I live in LA I see tons of sexy fashion billboards everywhere and this kind of reminded me of a Guess ad, so I named it "The Next Guess Model." Guess is a huge fashion franchise, just in case you didn't know. :) Not adult LOL!!!

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Wow! I don't pay attention for a couple of days, and come back to all kinds of helpful feedback, and so many new entries. I looked back at some of the other new user contests, and it seems like "portrait month" always has a lot of entries.

SickleYield has a very good video tutorial on using Outdoor Lighting and Skin Settings here.  

Thank you for this one. Watching this video is where I had my "Aha!" moment where it all made sense.

Crush Blacks and Burn Highlights can also affect how the colors look.  You can use other lights in a scene besides HDRI.  Make sure your Dome is set for both Dome and Scene.  I believe the default is Dome Only and you need both Dome and Scene if you are using the HDRI and scene lights.  Make sure that you turn off the Headlamp on your camera, too, as this added light can really mess up your lighting and give you effects you don't intend.  I do like the pose and camera angle.

As for Sun and Sky mode, I haven't used it much, but from what I can tell, that mode is ONLY Sun & Sky, no other lights.  That mode does seem to completely take over the whole show and you need to change things around by changing the time of day, the date, and longitude and latitude to make any real difference. 

Thank you for this! I didn't wind up using Sun & Sky mode. Actually, I looked up the date of the next full moon, set the time to 11:00 PM, didn't have to change the lat and long since it was already set to where I live (fun fact, I actually work in the same building as Daz HQ, just one floor up, completely separate company though). The scene was completely black... So I guess they don't treat the moon as the sun... which kind of makes sense.

Definistrat I like the way you have her framed in between the two doorways on two different levels.  Nicely done.  As far as the lighting goes, I am still on a steep learning curve myself.  I know if you dont' have dome and scene on it will completely ignore any scene lights. 

@Ice Dragon Art Thanks for noticing that! I'm actually kind of excited to be "competing" with you, I have clicked on your images more than once in the gallery and when surfing old new user contests... Not that I am stalking you or anything, just once I saw your name so many times I figured I must have liked your work and went ahead and checked out your gallery... anyway... now that I sound creepy... nice to meet you...

Plugging myself, but this might help: http://www.chariotswheels.com/3d-rendering/daz-studio/37-practical-example-1.html

Your image is very over exposed. I like the way it works. Its more artistic than realistic. I might rein it in a little... but... its unique the way it is. I'd be interested to see it render longer... because I don't think its quite finished.

Thanks for your plug! I will be reading this soon. :)

Also, interestingly enough, that was the 100% render, but yeah, I think it looking washed out was bad. I thought it was an interesting affect, which is why I shared it. That and to demonstrate how far off I was at creating a night scene...

barbult said:

I like the sort of overly bright, high key look to this image, even though your aim was a night scene. It has kind of a high fashion look to it. Her skin looks a little too pink to me, though, if you are aiming for a realistic skin tone. If you are going for something a little more editorial, it is fine. It looks like you did a great job on the posing. The hands look very natural to me. I'd crop just a tiny bit off the bottom to eliminatre the bent thigh part and have just torso and up.

To address your questions:

1. Daz Studio has several Iray Render Settings for Environment Mode. If you use and HDRI in the Environment Map and select Environment Mode of Dome Only, your scene lights (point lights, spot lights, distant lights) will NOT show in the render. If you select Dome and Scene, they WILL show in the render. If you have selected Dome and Scene and still don't see your scene lights, it may be that they are too dim. You can select them in the Scene pane and adjust their Luminous Flux (Lumen) in the Parameters pane. I can also recommend a wonderful product in the Daz Store called Iray Light Manager Pro. It makes adjusting lighting much easier.

2. Yes, Sun Node should be your main source of lighting in the situation you described. One thing that can cause a black render is if you have a skydome prop in your scene. The Iray sun cannot penetrate a 3Delight-type skydome unless you jump through hoops to change surface settings of that dome. Even then, the results are far from spectacular. It is best to eliminate skydome props from an Iray render. Using a skydome prop is like putting an opaque inverted bowl over your image. Your camera inside the bowl does not see any light, because the bowl blocks it all. Many 3Delight products come with a skydome. If you load a preload scene from one of those products, you may be loading a skydome without realizing it.

To render a night scene, you can use the Sun Sky and set the time of day to an evening hour for the latitude and longitude you have specified. You can also use the Tone Mapping to adjust the exposure index. Think of it like a camera. If you stop down the aperture (bigger number) or use a shorter exposure time (bigger number), or a lower ISO setting (lower number), less light reaches the camera sensor and the image is darker.

These are exactly the next steps I am looking for. Thank you for taking the time to share all of this.

Anyway, thanks to all your comments, YouTube, and some experimenting I was able to do...

THESE!

Er... actually they look way darker now that I have taken a step away from them and am looking at them again, but they are just so much closer to what I was trying to accomplish that they look great to me. I still want the contrast higher, and there are some pretty obvious artifacts that I need to get rid of... but I have seen some decent tutorials here and there for that.

I can't find the quote, but someone mentioned that the section of her body where the image was cutting off (they said it better) looked a little off, which was something I thought as well so they just confirmed my concern. The second image is another, but similar view that cuts off mid thigh. My opinion is that the figure looks better in the second image, but I think I've just thrown the composition out the window by doing so.

Anyway, there's a lot I still don't like about it. Back to tweaking again. Thanks for all the input and thanks if you took the time to read this!

I disagree that you threw composition out the window with re-frame, I like it better.

What you need now are more lights.  The ambience is set, but its not enough to light the scene. Focus on lighting just her, try to leave the shadows in the background, because they break up the scenery and help keep the focus on her. I think a spotlight above her and to her left (the viewer's right), aimed down at her face with a nice broad spread, but not too bright.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Tweaks, new pose, a little better with the hat.

Thoughts?

Yes that is a big giant spotlight emitter in the back there. Not too sure how that happened!

The only thing that is really noticeable to me is that there is a light behind his right (my right) shoulder that isn't on but he has a strong highlight coming from that general direction.  I realize that the

light could be coming from a window but it just kind of drew my attention. (But I'm slightly weird so it may just be me)

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

Oh portraits! My favorite! I'm definitely gonna take part in this one! Watch out for my first WIP : )

Thoughts?

Yes that is a big giant spotlight emitter in the back there. Not too sure how that happened!

The only thing that is really noticeable to me is that there is a light behind his right (my right) shoulder that isn't on but he has a strong highlight coming from that general direction.  I realize that the

light could be coming from a window but it just kind of drew my attention. (But I'm slightly weird so it may just be me)

No, you are correct... having the lamp there with no "light on" defies expectation and breaks the narrative. Not sure I am keeping the background elements there, but a good catch!

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

What do you think guys: Iray, no post-work.

I'm thinking, maybe more color variety for the background?

portraitWIP.png
    527 x 861 - 716K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I managed to work on the poses for my 'Best Friends'.  Posing these two was not easy as their heads kept getting in the way.  I can't figure out any way to morph them either, because somehow d-formers just don't work on these 3D Universe figures or hairs.  I don't how they managed to turn off the ability to apply d-formers, but if anyone knows how I can undo that, I'd appreciate the advice as I think could get their head closer together if I could move Toby's hair.  However, there are no morphs of any kind with the hair and trying to create a d-former doesn't even get me the grid and the d-former itself can be moved all over the place, but does absolutely nothing! I've seen a few items like this and I can't say I like the trend of hiding the ability to make modifications to a prop or figure or hair. I tried taking the figures into Hexagon via the bridge and adjusted stuff, but when I brought it back in to DS, the morphs did unusual things and not in a good way.

Tell me what you think.  The only things changed were the poses and a slight adjustment to the camera angle because of the pose changes.  Everything else is the same for now.

Adorable but I'd like a hint of what they are looking at and maybe a background would help this..?  Also, since this contest is about portraits, maybe zoom in a little? There is a lot of empty space that doesn't add anything to the scene...

Since this is a WIP, I haven't worked on that yet.  I did clearly state earlier that I was working on posing right now.  I do plan on adding a background, which I also stated earlier, but that will come later.  As for this being a portrait contest, I guess that depends on your definition of portraits.  When it comes to kid photography, especially when there is more than one subject, portraits tend to include more than just the head and shoulders.  Portraits of adults are usually head and shoulders, especially when you're talking about Glam Shots, but not always.  Portrait in the broader sense is just defined as "A painting, drawing, photograph, or engraving of a person, especially one depicting only the face or head and shoulders."  That definition doesn't means portraits are always of the head and shoulders, just especially, not exclusively.  Look at most kid shots and you'll find that, while there are some head and shoulder shots, most portraits of kids are upper body or full body shots.  This is especially true when there is more than one kid in the shot.  There is definitely a place for Glam Shots and I love those kind of portraits, especially when the portrait is of a guy as that is kind of where I tend to like to specialize.  I'll probably even do a proper guy portrait for my second entry, but I also like kids and I have a soft spot for these.  Yes, it definitely needs some work, but it's getting there.  However, my portrait will probably still have 'open space' even in the final version, but probably not as much as in the current version.  In my workflow, I tend to do posing first and try to get everything just the way I want it, then I'll start blocking things in and figuring out camera angles.  I don't know yet what I'll do as I didn't want to start working on all of the other stuff until I had the posing locked down, but the final version will probably still be a full body shot.  They just work so well with kids.  I think it has to do with their so short body stature and the fun things you can do with their poses.  But then, that's why we have WIP threads.  To work out the kinks and get others' opinions regardless of whether we take the advice or not.  The more opinions, the better.   I do take in everyone's thoughts even if I don't always act on them.  And, I do appreciate the advice.  So, thank you for the advice and I will definitely consider everyone's opinion as I continue to work on my kids.  That's one thing I love about this contest, the ability to get free advice from such great artists.

edited July 2016

Thoughts?

First of all, I love the character and expression! I'm not really thrilled with the hat model you used, it seems jagged in the wrong places... Maybe switch it with a different cap? And I would use a more interesting background or zoom in for a tighter shot with a simple portrait background. The expression is really interesting and I love the character.  I'd like to see an extreme close up (since this is a portrait contest) even with just a plain solid background, with a bit more lighting on the right side of the face for drama.. Could look cool in B&W too! With this cool character, I think you could create something really edgy cool rather than just a guy sitting with a lamp in the background...

Thoughts?

I'm not really thrilled with the hat model you used, it seems jagged in the wrong places... Maybe switch it with a different cap? And I would use a more interesting background or zoom in for a tighter shot with a simple portrait background. The expression is really interesting and I love the character.  I'd like to see an extreme close up (since this is a portrait contest) even with just a plain solid background, with a bit more lighting on the right side of the face for drama.. Could look cool in B&W too! With this cool character, I think you could create something really edgy cool rather than just a guy sitting with a lamp in the background...

I chose the wrong subdivision on the hat after dividing it, it looks much better without Sharp Corners and Edges. I'll think about the rest.

Its been a very long time since I tried to recreate the face of someone close to me.  This also happens to be the best I've ever done at that. So the comments about the character are appreciated. The eyes and mouth are almost spot on, but the nose is not quite there yet. I think the jaw is right, but the hair colors need to be darker.

edited July 2016

Thoughts?

I'm not really thrilled with the hat model you used, it seems jagged in the wrong places... Maybe switch it with a different cap? And I would use a more interesting background or zoom in for a tighter shot with a simple portrait background. The expression is really interesting and I love the character.  I'd like to see an extreme close up (since this is a portrait contest) even with just a plain solid background, with a bit more lighting on the right side of the face for drama.. Could look cool in B&W too! With this cool character, I think you could create something really edgy cool rather than just a guy sitting with a lamp in the background...

I chose the wrong subdivision on the hat after dividing it, it looks much better without Sharp Corners and Edges. I'll think about the rest.

Its been a very long time since I tried to recreate the face of someone close to me.  This also happens to be the best I've ever done at that. So the comments about the character are appreciated. The eyes and mouth are almost spot on, but the nose is not quite there yet. I think the jaw is right, but the hair colors need to be darker.

I added to my previous post at the beginning that I love the character and expression, so the critical stuff wasn't first. But, yeah, I don't know who you modeled it after, but I love the originality and attitude of the character!

I just looked at him again zoomed in and I think the morphs are cool and original enough to sell as a character! But, of course, I have nothing to do with those decisions...

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    edited July 2016

Well I scrapped the IRay portrait pic!! it was just too frustrating (it kept stopping at 37%) so here is a new idea showcasing Aprilysh's Corset Hat!!!

It is done in 3Delight (I am going to stick with what I know best) in Daz Studio, no postwork. Lots of lighting including UEV, made the background myself in PSP9.

Any comments or suggestions welcome at this point on the posing and lighting and such on each and help me decide which I should use for entry.

Lady In Red.png
    800 x 1035 - 1M
    Lady In Red smiles.png
    800 x 1035 - 1M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  •  

Thoughts?

I'm not sure why, but looking at him again today, my mind was saying 'Don't I know that guy from somewere?' then I relised that he reminds me of somebody that I knew back in highschool.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure why, but looking at him again today, my mind was saying 'Don't I know that guy from somewere?' then I relised that he reminds me of somebody that I knew back in highschool.

You aren't from New England are you? :)

edited July 2016

Well I scrapped the IRay portrait pic!! it was just too frustrating (it kept stopping at 37%) so here is a new idea showcasing Aprilysh's Corset Hat!!!

It is done in 3Delight (I am going to stick with what I know best) in Daz Studio, no postwork. Lots of lighting including UEV, made the background myself in PSP9.

Any comments or suggestions welcome at this point on the posing and lighting and such on each and help me decide which I should use for entry.

I've never tried 3Delight so I can't help you there but I would suggest playing with character morphs a bit more or start with a PA character as a base to get a more pleasing and realistic face...Also the hat seems to be sitting too high on her head, you may have to make the hat larger to fit over her head properly. Of the two, I definitely prefer the top one...

I like the first one, but in both of them... the hat doesn't look right.  Its looks like its placed in front of her head rather than on it.

Thoughts?

No, you are correct... having the lamp there with no "light on" defies expectation and breaks the narrative. Not sure I am keeping the background elements there, but a good catch!

You don't want to know how long it took me to figure out what was bugging me lol.  I do agree with the previous comments about the character being very well done, he looks like a real person with a real attitude so well done on that!

Toyen said:

What do you think guys: Iray, no post-work.

I'm thinking, maybe more color variety for the background?

For Toyen - I agree I think you need something else for the background, right now her beautiful red hair kind of merges with the background and its hard to tell where the hair ends.  She is a lovely character and I like her pose a lot.  If you don't want to change the background you can try adding a rim light behind her left (my left, her right) shoulder to help bring out the hair a bit more.

Saphirewilde I like the first one the best.  I've used that corset hat before and its so much fun but a bit tricky to get it to fit right.  You could always try a different angle like it was sliding off her head and she is catching it or something if you can't get it to actually fit right on her head and you still want to use it. 

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    edited July 2016

This is my second render (at 30%), changed the spotlight settings, I'm not sure if it is over lighted !!!!

July2016-Portrait 2.jpg
    745 x 684 - 324K
    Post edited by h_habash on
  •  

Thoughts?

You aren't from New England are you? :)

Nope, I've lived down in the South West all my life. The farthest I've been from home is up to Washington State to visit my late grandfather the summer after I'd graduated.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited July 2016

I'm declaring this one done. It is not a contest entry, just practice and learning for me.

I've attempted to address all the feedback that I've received (thanks!). I adjusted her eye focus down a tiny bit. I attempted to make her skin les dry. I added a backlight, such as it is. I made her hair have more color variation and highlights. I added a photographic background. I changed her expression a little. Now that I have completed this, I can go back and see what I've missed (a lot, I can see) in this thread.

Why are You Taking My Picture?

Loop Lighting Catch Light Thirds final.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • zax797zax797 Posts: 15
    edited July 2016

this was another concept, that JUST finished rendering, could be a pre- or post- Sortie pose. Any suggestions?

space pin-up salute.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 762K
    Post edited by zax797 on
  • RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 911
    edited July 2016

Thank you for the comments.  I moved the glasses a bit but they're basically touching the charcters skin and moving them any more will intersect her geometry.  I moved the head and eyes down a bit more.  I moved lights around to brighten up the charcters face too.  There were some tweaks to the scene and I added steam to the coffee.

cafe3.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 1M
    Post edited by RobotHeadArt on
  • zax797zax797 Posts: 15

Final concept I have. At less right now. This one is probably a lot more fruitful. Any suggestions?

this one wasn't even 1% at a 10.0 render quality after 8+hours.

annoyed portrait.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
  •  

Version c. Made a change to the settings on the blade itself so the light wasn't washing out the face.

Nice work...this is looking good, and I'd say it is an improvement over earlier versions. I think you may need to increase the lighting on the the character's face, though--while the face isn't washed out, it's a bit overpowered by the brightness of the lightsaber. I like how some of the architectural elements form lines that converge on the focal point of the image (the character's face). Possibly some repositioning, and/or changing the camera angle, can play up this effect even more. Maybe add a few cameras to the scene (if you are using DS or other software with this function) and play around with different angles and framing, see what works best.

edited July 2016
    zax797 said:

Final concept I have. At less right now. This one is probably a lot more fruitful. Any suggestions?

this one wasn't even 1% at a 10.0 render quality after 8+hours.

My first suggestion: limit render quality to something reasonable.

10? Why in the world....

2 should really be sufficient.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • isidorn said:

This month I'm pretty sure I will have time to join you all in the contest! Starting with reading the first link in the intro post I come across this:

Make sure male subjects don’t strike a feminine pose

Then I knew what had to be done.

This is just a first draft. I think his right hand is a little inside the head so the pose definitely needs work and the background and lights will be looked over too.

Ha! He looks like someone who understands very well that sometimes rules are made to be broken. Great start with the lighting.

zax797 said:

this was another concept, that JUST finished rendering, could be a pre- or post- Sortie pose. Any suggestions?

We can't see her face.

What have you used for lighting here?

h_habash said:

This is my second render (at 30%), changed the spotlight settings, I'm not sure if it is over lighted !!!!

Not "over lighted" at all. Have you got the Bloom Filter on? She's got some white out on her dress there.

This is definetly better.  Its hard to tell what she's looking at. Eye surfaces could use some tweaking I think.

• SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42

Here's a draft image. Looking for an old snapshot feel. Need to work the hair better. It's still looking very plasticy. Just overlayed the render on a slightly blurred background. Need to work on the background blurring, it's too uniform. The model is set apart from the bacground by the blur, but the blur is so uniform the model seems to float. Need to kind of get it dialed in at low res, because my system is slow, slow slow, then let it render overnight.

1try.jpg
    389 x 332 - 53K
    h_habash said:

Maybe change the color of the her very white top to a white that has a slightly greyer tone.  it will still look white but may not look so blown out.